• Costa Rica

Program Details

Fall Spring
Dormitory

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance.

Scholarship opportunities are available for high school summer programs.

There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Accommodation Travel Insurance
Oct 05, 2021
Sep 04, 2022
0 travelers are looking at this program

It’s called the rich coast for a reason. Costa Rica is one of the most beautiful destinations in the world! CIEE offers you a chance to delve into this natural wonder either for the summer or a full high school semester! Not a high school student? Not a problem. We also offer a Gap year program for those taking the year off before attending college. You can expect to stay in a rural community surrounded by forests, farms and amazing wildlife. It is something you have to see to believe.

Located more than 4,500 ft. above sea level, Monteverde finds itself enveloped in a stunning haze of clouds year-round. Far below the mountains are small coastal towns offering pristine beaches, basic shops and restaurants, and tidal shores ripe for exploration. When you’re not out exploring the vast landscape, CIEE will take you on a journey with entertaining scavenger hunts, night hikes, farm life tours, and ziplining over the forest through the clouds.

This program is currently not being promoted on Go Overseas by its provider. Check with CIEE Global Navigator for the most up-to-date information regarding the status of this program.

Program Highlights

• Study in an amazing 150-acre campus complete with a working organic farm, open air classrooms, and multiple science labs
  • Hike through the misty understory of the Monteverde Cloud Forest with over 100 species of mammals, 400 species of birds, and 2,500 varieties of plants
  • Gain a certificate of learning in to use in your resume
  • Lend a hand at our organic farm and harvest your own dinner
  • 24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Sadie

My summer abroad in Costa Rica

This experience was very new for me, it was the first time I had been away from home for so long (3 weeks) and the first time I'd stayed in another country for that long. This experience was advertised as a study abroad program, but it felt nothing like school. It was full of learning through doing, and adventure. I gained new friends I kept in touch with months after and so many crazy memories, not only that, but I left with new knowledge about how to be more eco-friendly and encourage others to as well. Definitely all worth it.

Tiffany

Climate Change Mitigation, Costa Rica & Peace

​From the staff to the selection of students, to the activities, to the endless knowledge and general hospitality, CIEE has crafted an almost flawless study abroad experience for high school students in Monteverde, Costa Rica. CIEE has formulated an educationally effective, but fun program for students to not only learn things they never knew were possible about the world but themselves. I came into this program wanting to better understand how I could make a difference in the world rather than just posting or reading about the environment on social media. I wanted to get uncomfortable and learn things way past the knowledge I held. The climate change mitigation program did all of this for me and more. I now see my role in the world and how to take action efficiently. The staff in this program taught me how to be innovative, active, and overall a better problem-solver. Every single staff member was amazing. Costa Rican values have truly made an impact on me. The group of students I lived with taught me so much in one day alone. The exchange of information and personal experiences opened my eyes to so many different perspectives. I'd classify myself as an introvert, but it was easy to talk and be free with this group. A level of comfort fell into place almost right when I met everyone. Just hanging around campus, in nature, we bonded over the littlest things. I have made lifelong bonds, gotten support from those older than me, and understand myself way more thanks to this program. I was put all the way outside my comfort zone and will forever be grateful for the opportunity. I can genuinely say that CIEE has contributed heavily to my future college endeavors and life. I already have and will continue to recommend or influence my peers to study abroad with CIEE. Experiences like this are the ones I wish I could have forever.

Pros
  • Living in nature, direct access the forest
  • wild excursions with people from all over the country
  • hands-on work
Cons
  • Far from town/active population
  • Mostly eating on campus so not getting to try out local restaurants
  • bugs
Gabriella

A Paradise Amongst the Clouds

I was so elated to learn about another culture, especially one whose main priority was preserving the beautiful greenery. This program was beyond interactive and I was able to enact real change, in my host country and in my personal habits. Monteverde's natural beauty is unmatched and the educational experience complements that, with daily hikes to learn about different epiphytes to planting trees that act as carbon sinks. The family I have created here in our close-knit group of 16 is something I have never experienced before. Whether I am playing basketball during a free moment or playing a group game in the rec room, I found this group of people from all across the U.S. to be inclusive and loving.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Definitely walking across the swinging bridges, as we were insanely high up in the clouds. The swaying of the bridge mixed with the rainforest beneath my feet had me a little frightened. However, once coming face to face with some Howler Monkeys, I completely forgot about the height I was at and was awestruck by the beauty of my surrounding.
Pros
  • Beautiful Nature and Wildlife
  • Education on Improving our Climate
  • Close community
Cons
  • Persistant rain
  • Bugs!! Bring deet
Blue

Life Changing

There is nothing greater than waking up to birds chirping and going on a hike in the jungle surrounding your bungalow. Later you’ll eat a freshly made breakfast and go to class where you might hear from a local community member about sustainability efforts or go to farm on campus and visit the cows pigs and chickens. In the afternoon you might find yourself learning how to dance traditional dances and after dinner watching a movie in the rec room with your peers. I had so much fun and I learned so much!

Pros
  • Hiking and adventuring
  • New friends
  • Immersive
Cons
  • Bugs
  • You eat a lot of rice and beans
  • Rains most afternoons
Hailey

Amazing Trip for High School Students

My experience on this trip was life-changing. I had never been outside of the country before this trip, so I was nervous before I left as to how the trip would turn out. I had also not been given much information on what our schedule would include, so I was worried we would be doing activities I couldn't keep up with or didn't like, but I was so wrong to be worried.
During my trip I made friendships that will last a lifetime, memories I'll keep in my heart forever, and immense personal growth.
The trip was incredibly safe. We always had our five adults with us, who were all amazing and nice to each of us. They took appropriate action when students got out of hand, but weren't too harsh to the point where nobody liked them. Through talking to my peers on the trip with me, I know that we all enjoyed our time with the adults, and they were always quick to help us with our problems and help us however we needed.
For future participants, the best advice I can give you is learn how to hand-wash your own clothes!!! They'll wash five items of your clothes three times during the three weeks, so I highly suggest you learn how to do without a washing machine and dryer. Also, bring luggage you can carry around without rolling. There are plenty of moments when you have to hold your luggage and can't roll it, so think about that before you bring a 50lb luggage.
As a final thought, if you're able to go on this trip (CIEE offers full scholarships to those in need), and if you are seriously considering this study abroad trip, DO IT!!! You will be so glad you did it.

It would have been helpful to have been given the itinerary or a list of activities that we were going to do before the trip instead of during the trip.
Response from CIEE Global Navigator

Hi Hailey,
Thank you for your positive feedback! So glad you loved your experience in Monteverde. Regarding the itinerary, it is true that final program details can fluctuate slightly to accommodate final group size and weather conditions, but we agree with you and will make a note of this for future programming.