Projects Abroad High School Volunteer Programs in Costa Rica

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Projects Abroad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Volunteer abroad during the summer in Costa Rica as a High School student with Projects Abroad! Teen volunteers work with children at a Care Center and assist with restoration projects at a Costa Rican National Park. Practice your Spanish as you play games and organize arts and crafts activities for local Costa Rican children. Spend 2, 3 or 4 weeks in Costa Rica as a teen volunteer and see what it's like to help out the international community! For more details, visit Projects Abroad's site for High School Specials.

Start Planning Next Year's Trip of a Lifetime..

🌍 Explore the world ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 28 weeks of travel

We'll take you to five different countries around the world, where you'll gain a whole host of experience to make your resume shine & contribute to a better world.

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Gaby

Great Cultural and Conservational Experience in beautiful Costa Rica

I attended the teen conservation program in Barra Honda national park. It was a great experience! It was a good mix of cultural immersion at the brief homestay and various excursions and real deal conservation work in a national park. I loved that students came in from all of the world! It was so cool to do cultural comparison! It was a good mix of education, work and time to relax and spend time together. The staff is great, super accommodating and welcoming! They also made it really easy for me to sign up even though it was later in the summer.

One thing I would say is that the program is a lot of hiking and mostly in the jungle. Also There isn't a whole lot of language immersion since it isn't expected of you to know Spanish so look elsewhere if you want serious spanish practice.

Improve communication before you get Costa Rica. Put all students rooms together.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Gaby,
Thank you for your brilliant review. It's warming to know that we are able to provide such beneficial experience for both the volunteer and the recipient community. Your hard work and effort towards the High School Specials, Tropical Dry Forest Conservation project in Costa Rica is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again on one of our projects or internships.

Luis Eduardo Arguedas, Country Director for Costa Rica

Tashrima

Projects Abroad Care & Conservation in Costa Rica

Earlier this summer, I participated in the Projects Abroad High School Special in Costa Rica: Care and Conservation. Each week of the two-week program was on an opposite end of the spectrum. The first week was spent volunteering at a San José daycare center for children, Osito Feliz. We spent much of our time painting a mural for the children as well as mentoring them. The kids taught me a lot about appreciating what we have and making the most of each day.

The next day, we traveled four hours away to the Barra Honda National Park. Coming form the urban city of Houston, Texas, the prospect of living in a jungle was a novel concept. Nonetheless, the staff was so welcoming, and they certainly made the most of their living conditions. Seeing their constant positivity and passion for their environmental projects was moving.

When I look back on my experience in Costa Rica, I wouldn't have changed it for the work. The greatest beauty I can recall from my trip is the new adventures I endured-- whether that be Costa Rican dance lessons, speaking fluent Spanish for the first time, horseback riding, or watching bats leave their caves at night. While there were certainly some difficulties in terms of living conditions, I can wholeheartedly say that my time there shaped me for the better.

So, yes. Costa Rica was not glamorous. But it was certainly life-changing. And those challenging adventures are what eventually take us on the path to the individuals we're meant to become.

One thing that could be improved about the Projects Abroad program is the amount of information given to volunteers. On a day to day basis, I typically had no idea what was coming next. While that definitely contributed to the adventurousness of the program, we could have better prepared ourselves if we knew what was scheduled next. Nonetheless, I truly believe that the Projects Abroad program coordinators planned the program meticulously to best benefit the volunteers and the surrounding community.