Sol Abroad High School Program in Costa Rica

Learn Spanish in one of the most beautiful countries in the world . . . ¡Costa Rica! Explore the verdant cloud forests and tropical coastlines of the Central American country while immersing yourself in the Spanish language. Sol Abroad has on-site directors that provide quality academic support and assistance during your study abroad. For our Summer Programs, you will study at a language institute, located in the verdant highlands of central Costa Rica. For our Gap Year & High School Semester Abroad programs, you will take classes at an accredited private bilingual high school or a local accredited university. Take Spanish classes in the summer or choose from a normal high school or university curriculum during the semester or year! Sol Abroad high school programs provides quality academic support and assistance while you are on your study abroad program.

Moe

Sol Abroad High School Program Costa Rica

My host family was one of my favourite parts of the trip because they were simply such welcoming, understanding, and heart-warming people. Living with a host family is not only beneficial for language development, but it is also significant because it adds to the personal connection and takeaway of the program. The location, Atenas, and the reliable host family program is what drew me to Sol Abroad as the sense of community that is built makes the trip much more interesting and unique. My most vivid memory of this program are the incredible people of Costa Rica, including the directors. I am an international student with complicated travel requirements; however, the directors were very helpful and knowledgeable before and during the trip.

The academics/school portion of the program should of been more rigorous as majority of what we did was busywork despite the long hours we spent there.
Maggie

A Typical Costa Rican Night

One time, my roommate, Olive, and I were walking home from downtown Atenas. We were planning on having a night in; finishing some home, do some painting, etc. It didn't exactly turn out that way. On the way back, we passed by the indoor soccer rink, where our five year old "nephew" was having a game. Afterward, our adult "sister" invited us over to her house for a few minutes. We stayed there for three hours. We talked, played with our "nieces and nephews," making enpanadas. That's a perfect example of Costa Rican life. You can make plans, but chaces are, they're not going to stick. That's the beauty of it.

Maybe more outdoor hikes or adventures, but over than that, it was perfect!!
Ally

Awesome time in Costa Rica with SolAbroad

For the longest time I didn't want to go on this trip, I thought it was going to be super lame, that the school part would suck and I wouldn't be able to make any friends. However I actually had a great time, and this was easily a life changing experience. I gained a great new perspective, and still keep pretty close contact with some of the people I went with. The school/lessons portion of the trip was amazing and I didn't honestly realize how much i learned until I got home. Since I live in San Antonio I am surrounded by Spanish speakers, & coming back to being able to understand native speakers more easily, and just having a better understanding of even the billboards was awesome. All in all, great trip.

I honestly have no complaints, it was really fun.
Jessie

3 weeks in CR

At the end of my 3 weeks, I felt sadder about leaving than I thought I would. My host family was amazing and the people and friends I met along the way were truly remarkable. While Atenas is a small town (and about 45mins from SJ), it is a great place to live and study. Our houses were farther from town but that just meant you had to plan time at home, or in the town. One of my favorite things was that not very many people spoke English. As someone who has been to Mexico and Spain, it was such a refreshing experience to walk around and actually really need to use my Spanish.

While everyone is different, I think in an ideal world I would have stayed 4 or 5 weeks. By the end of the 2nd week I felt so at home and had gained enough confidence to speak, which made the 3rd week incredible. I just wish I had another week to enjoy the feeling of being a part of the town and to use my Spanish. I have always planned on studying abroad in college but this experience with Sol totally solidified that desire.
This is a summer I am going to remember for the rest of my life.

They could work a little more on their communication with the students and the school.
Alyssa

3 Weeks in Atenas

This past summer I joined the sol abroad program and went to Atwnas Costa Rica for three weeks. I can't say that I've ever had a better experience or ever done something that fun in my life. I love traveling and sol abroad was the perfect program for me. I met so many new friends that I am still in touch with today and I couldn't be happier with the experience that I had. The town life and activities that we participated in were always so enjoyable. We had the perfect amount of time to enjoy experience the culture and city on our own. It was over all an amazing trip and I hope I'm lucky enough to be able to go again.

I think that I would change the timing of some activities. Some days the activities were cramped together and other days the activities were hours apart.
Arielle

My experiences in Costa Rica

This is actually my second time going on a SOL Abroad program. My first was going to Argentina for a month the summer before last. It was an experience unlike any other and the first I had ever had but it was so interesting, exciting, and impactful that I had to go on another program. This past summer was filled with activities so I could not go for a full month, but it the 2.5 weeks I spend there was life changing. I was pushed out of my comfort zone because I had never stayed in a rural area, nor had I ever done some of the crazy excursions we did (like white water rafting and ziplining). All of these experiences, plus the teachers and staff, plus the phenomenal kids, made my trip one that I will never forget!

I really loved every aspect of the program. The only thing I would suggest are maybe some activities with local teenagers (if that is at all possible).
CK

An Ideal Maiden Voyage: a Parents Review

I sent my son to Costa Rica for 2 weeks this past summer. The Sol Abroad Program exceeded my expectations and I am so appreciative to the program directors for giving him such a uniquely positive experience. It's an uneasy feeling sending one's kid off to a faraway place for the first time ever without a parent, but I felt so happy everyday because I received an email immediately when my son arrived safely and then Orlando Murrillo posted pictures on Facebook all the time- so I could see my kid at cooking class one day, dance class the next, and hiking another day, all the friends he was with; In this way, it was a vicariously-lived adventure for the parents, too! My son came back happy and healthy, with many new friends, improved Spanish, lifelong memories of his charming host family and of Costa Rica's beauty. I thought that such a program would be prohibitively expensive and available only to the very well-off. But to my pleasant surprise, the Sol Abroad Program was actually affordable and very high quality-- the kids got it ALL (housing, meals, Spanish class, cultural activities, outings including white-water rafting and ziplining, historical tours); it was an amazing deal. As a parent, I would recommend Sol Abroad, Costa Rica to anyone wanting to send their kid to study (and play) abroad! It was the perfect "maiden voyage" for a young teen who hopefully has many globetrotting passport stamps in his future. Five Stars, and a cherry on top.

Emily

I loved It

The second to last day when we went to the waterfall was amazing. It was a really great way to end the trip. I would definitely recommend going back there, because seeing the old mines and tunnels was amazing!

The program was amazing! My only suggestion would be to make the curfew a little later.
Lindsay

Literally "the best trip" he says he has ever taken!

My son, a 17 year old from South Carolina, could not stop talking about how much fun he had and how much he loved this trip. He loved the other students, his host family, the language instructors and the people of Costa Rica. If he could have he would have extended his trip.

The best part, as a parent, was that he came back energized about language and wants to pursue a minor in Spanish. He even said the course instruction each day was reaaly fun and not boring. Coming from any boy of 17, that says a lot!

He literally could not think of a thing he would change… other than a later curfew of course ;)
sean

pura vida comments

I got to the mother day party. I was exposed to spanish music and become influencd to listen to the same kind of music at home. I loved spending time with my parents at the parts. I just hoped that I could have gone to more similar to this in Costa Rica.

Need to provide more food
Maggie

Atenas

Even though Atenas is small, it has alot to offer. When I first arrived here I never thought that I would have any fun in this small city, but I was really suprised. There is a ton of little surprises within the city. One thing to for sure do when in the city is to talk to the locals. they love to talk to you and it really helps with your spanish practice. All the people are so nice, except when they are behind a wheel. If the car is comming just let it go! A few resturants to go to are La Finca and Gellys. There are some of the best and super cheap. Another thing to also do is walk around the city. There are tons of small cute shops to explore and the little market is really cute and fun to walk around. Atenas is very small, but you can have a lot of fun when your here! Also, dont forget to do to the cooperativa. Its one of the nicer super markets and is a great place to get small gifts like local coffee and snacks to bring home!

I would have to say some the lenghs of the culture activities. Some of them where way to look and some of them were way to short for the occasion.
Sydney

Pura Vida Sol abroad !

Sol abroad is a very good program. They pick the perfect location, you truly feel like a part of the town. With,the location they choose you are forced to speak spanish 24/7. I thoughht sol abroad was a great program.

No, the program is great! If i had to change one more thing would add in some more excursions. So, we could experience a bit more of Costa Rica. Other than that i thought the program was amazing.
Shelby

Forest Excursions

With Sol Abroad I took a weekend trip to Manuel Antonio National Park, and went white water rafting the next day. Both were an incredible experience for me. I caught myself smiling without even realizing it. The scenery in Costa Rica was some of the most beautiful raw nature i've had the opporunity to see. Overall, I think it was a worthy experience.

We didn't have a lot of opportunity to bond with the other students before we went to do cultural activities together. They were fun, but I think if I felt closer to the other students it could have been better.
Allison

Atenas is Cool

Atenas has a ton of really amazing sights and experiences. The weather was always nice. The park was a great place to talk and hang out with friends, there were many excellent places to eat and have fun.

The activities were at odd times and lasted for wither to long or to short.
Savannah

White water rafting

Last weekend, my group went white water rafting near Manuel Antonio National Park. This was my favorite excursion during my four weeks here. My tour guide was so much fun! When the water was rough, he would stand up on the raft and jump as high as he could. At one point when the water was deep and calm, he pushed me out of the raft and into the water. Then he grabbed my life jacket to help me into the raft... or so I thought. He grabbed my life vest and threw me like a rag doll to the other side of the water! The water felt great, and I hope I can go back again before I leave for the US!

I would require more Spanish speaking with the kids. During the excursions, they talked to us in English, and I feel like I missed out of some interesting Spanish vocabulary.

About Sol Abroad

Sol Abroad is an affordable high school study abroad, Gap Year and Spanish immersion program for students 14 - 18 years of age. There are programs offered during the summer and semester. Sol students live with local families, take Spanish classes on...