Sol Abroad High School Program in Costa Rica

Come study abroad in the Happiest Country on the planet...¡Costa Rica! With the Sol Abroad program you will experience all the natural and cultural wonders of this unique Central American country. The program includes Spanish classes in the mornings, cultural and volunteer activities in the afternoons and incredible excursions all across the country on the weekends. For the Summer Programs, you will study at a language institute, located in the highlands of central Costa Rica. For the Gap Year programs, you will take classes at an accredited private university. Sol Abroad high school programs provide quality academic support and assistance throughout your experience.

• Highly rated homestays
  • Included excursions and cultural activities
  • High-level academic advising and assistance
  • Attentive and dedicated onsite directors
  • Very personable and inclusive program

Time to make summer plans!

Sol Abroad is accepting applications already for summer 2020. All new dates and prices have been published. Sign up today!

Katlyn

It was amazing!

The independence and welcoming community makes this trip well worth the money! The opportunity to see most of Costa Rica, from the Jungle to the beach. Ticos are very welcoming and nice. They will do anything they can to make your trip a great experience. If you are on the fence for just go for it. This is an experience you will remeber for the rest of your life. The opportunity to learn a new languages is amazing. The food that you try their will stick with you for the rest of your life. This trip allows you to find yourself. I will miss the walking the most, to walk into town it is three fourths of a mile. You can enjoy the beautiful scenery. In the market I was able to drink straight from the coconut. Costa Rica is on of the best places on earth!

Olivia

This Program Is 100% Worth It!!

This program was amazing! From the moment I signed up to go, the Sol Abroad staff was engaging, personable, and worked to help adjust the dates of the program to better fit my schedule. The directors involved in helping us when we arrived were very welcoming, informative, and funny! The host family I stayed with was so inviting and truly made me and my roommate feel apart of their family. Everyone involved in coordinating/helping with this program went above and beyond to ensure our safety and enjoyment throughout the trip. I would recommend this program for sure! It not only helped improve my Spanish, but it allowed me to make lifelong friends, who I still talk to even after the trip, and broadened my perspectives on many topics. This program is completely worth it for the experiences you gain by participating!

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment came on the first day I arrived. My roommate and I were outside talking to our host family so we could all get to know each other. It was so fun to share stories and laugh together as we figured out our similarities and differences. It was fun to be able to laugh when we messed up our Spanish; our host family always made us feel comfortable and
Mia

An experience I will never forget!

I went into this program not now what to expect, but it was more than I could have ever asked for!! The flight there was the most nerve racking part and it went very smoothly. Once I arrived the Sol Abroad staff welcomed me. My housing and host family were more gracious and kind than I could have ever anticipated! The teaching staff was also very encouraging and enthusiastic about our Spanish speaking journey. Our excursions and daily activities enhanced the trip as well. We had a huge variety of activities that gave us a good sense of the Costa Rican culture. The food we ate also enriched our experience. I will forever remember the compassion and knowledge I was given from this experience. I highly recommend this program to increase cultural awareness and your Spanish skills.

I would improve the diversity of each group. Making sure there are a more even number of boys and girls as well.
Posy

Loved this program

Costa Rica is amazing and I got the best out of it using Sol Abroad. Last year I did the same program in Granada, Spain and loved it so much that I decided to do another. One thing I didn't like about Spain was the food since I don't eat meat very often but in my small town in Costa Rica the food was amazing and my host mom was so kind. It also felt like everyone was just so nice everyone says hi to you and I never felt unsafe while I was there. I stayed for the whole two months and I saw many come and go but that experience will last a lifetime. Over the years I learned that it is so hard to understand a culture without living there and this is exactly what I needed to understand and love Costa Rica. It was truly a great two months and I would totally do it again.

I wish there was a wider verity of activities but nothing else.
Erin

SOL Costa Rica

I had so much fun! I spent my birthday in Atenas, Costa Rica and the directors made sure I had a wonderful birthday. They even ordered me a vegan cake and made us reservations for the vegan restaurant in Atenas. Other than that, the host family was very welcoming and the directors made sure I was accommodated along every step of the way. I really enjoyed the excursions and all the activities we did. The classes were very helpful and the professors were very knowledgeable. If you have dietary restrictions I would highly recommend this trip. This was the adventure of a lifetime and I made so many great friends that I know will be lifelong friends. I never thought this trip would impact me as much as it did. I will definitely recommend this program to underclassmen at my school.

I would make the excursions last longer. I think it would be a lot more fun if we left for Manuel Antonio on Friday then stayed until Monday, same for La Fortuna.
Jessica

Living in Another World

Before I came to Sol Abroad, I had done another study abroad program in Barcelona for a month. Though I did have a lot of fun in the beautiful city and am definitely glad I went, I was disappointed by the fact that there wasn't much immersion that the program offered. Everything was done in English, and many parts of the city were simply meant to cater to American tourists. No doubt about it those kinds of towns also exist in Costa Rica, but that's not where Sol Abroad took us. They had us stay in Atenas, a small town where very few foreigners visit. Because of that, it shows the true lives of Costa Rican people, away from all of the beach-themed huts and restaurants where most Americans choose to stay. It is because of this that Sol Abroad offers a true cultural immersion experience, with all of its pleasant and unpleasant aspects. The homestay truly shows what it is like to live in the town, and the encouragement to speak as much Spanish as possible made me nearly fluent in the language by the time I got back. Of course, the program still has all the proper safety precautions and makes sure that every student has what they need. It is well organized with its excursions, classes, and activities, and there was never a moment that I was bored with nothing to do. The program directors, Catalina and Judith, were also some of the sweetest people I ever met, and as well as being my guides and advisors, I can proudly say they were also my friends. All in all, if you truly want to experience what it is to live in the Costa Rica, then Sol Abroad is the program for you. Pura vida!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Probably yucca, which is a potato-like root that is white in color and coarser than potato. My host mother one time fried little pancakes of it with cheese on the inside, and it was probably one of the best things I've ever eaten.
Micaela

Highlight of My Summer

Going to Costa Rica with Sol Abroad was the highlight of my summer! Not only did I learn Spanish in a fun, unique way, but I made so many friends and memories as well. I'd just give this little bit of advice to future study abroad students: put yourself out there on the very first day. No one knows each other at that point and if you just start talking, you'll make friends you'll never lose! The two weeks I spent in Costa Rica with Sol Abroad brought me some of the best times of my life and I'm sure I'll never forget the friends and memories made there! Of course, I went on this trip mainly to further my knowledge of the Spanish language. Before I arrived, I was expecting classes each day to be similar to Spanish class in school, but it turned out to be completely different and way more fun! We did tons of group projects and interacted with the citizens of Atenas to develop speaking skills. Going to Costa Rica with Sol Abroad was the best!!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unusual food I ate in Costa Rica were yucca chips! They were delicious!
Jonah

Mostly good

Great trips and people but Spanish speaking should be more enforced/incentived when within the group. The excursions were very fun and usually well thought out. Every meal was delicious and safety was a constant. We didn’t go in some of the promised excursions due to various reasons which was a let down. The host family was great. Costa Rica was a great place to go because it has so many different things to offer without feeling too touristy, though at times it did feel a little cheesy, that’s inevitable though.

Spanish speaking should be more enforced/incentived when within the group
Madalyn

Costa Rica- first time traveling

I absolutely loved my experience in Costa Rica and it was an amazing first time traveling. Although my host mother had some days where she was rude everything else about my experience was fantastic. I loved every excursion, dance, and food I had in Costa Rica. Rooming with my best friend was an experience we could never get any other way. Our host sister was amazing and the amount of new language I picked up in only two weeks is incredible. I absolutely fell
in love with Costa Rican culture and dance. I made friends with ticos and our tour guides Catalina and Orlando were the most amazing people my group could ask for. We truly became a family on our trip.

Natalie

Summer in CR

BEST SUMMER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved everyone I became friends with there! I still talk with them all everyday. The housing made me step out of my comfort zone completely but in the end I loved it. I wish we had hot water because I was cold but oh well. The food was good and school wasn’t bad at all. I liked our teacher! We did a lot of fun things like shopping and zip lining! I loved meeting the locals and speaking the language with them. I learned a lot about the culture and would do it all over again in a heart beat!

emma

Costa Rica Study abroad trip

I loved this trip so much i met new friends that i still keep in contact with. It was a great edperience to learn about costa rica’s culture and improve your language skills. The family i stayed with was very kind and My brother and I enjoyed playing with their grandson. Future participants should try this because Sol abroad made the experience amazing and I never felt uncomfortable. The program helps you through everything. After this trip it has made me think about future study abroad trips i can join. The trip has helped me improve my spanish speaking ability greatly. Some useful tips would be PREPARE for the weather you have to bring light dry fit clothes and bring all of your bathroom supplies because it is expensive to buy new things there.

This program could be improved by knowing more about the host family and making sure you are getting along with them and how they are treating you.
Lindsey

sol abroad

overall this was the most amazing experience. i met so many amazing people who were also going on the trip. the host families were all so sweet and generous and it was amazing to see how they live differently than me. the excursions and activities we did were so much fun and most of it was stuff i probably won’t get an opportunity to do again. i will remember this experience and the people i met for my entire life.

better spanish classes
Cristian

Beautiful country with rich, vibrant culture.

The food is amazing, the people are friendly, and the experience is simply unforgettable. You will form bonds with the people with you, your host family, the culture, and the country. Plenty of chances to practice and improve your Spanish. It was an adventure and I'm really glad I did it. I would do it all over again. A student will develop as an individual and grow in maturity and experience. It truly was an amazing experience and Sol Abroad has done a great job of simplifying and providing a fun, safe, memorable program for all.

Eliza

Costa Rica with Sol Abroad

This was a really fun experience, the house that I stayed in was really nice, the staff were friendly, the actives were fun and I learned more Spanish. My favorite activities were teaching children English, dancing and cooking. Our Spanish teacher was very nice, I only had two other people in my Spanish class, and it was my best Spanish learning experience. One of my favorite memories was making fruit salad with fruit we bought at a local market.

Campbell

Costa Rica 2018

This Costa Rica trip will be unforgettable. I learned so much about myself, other students like me in the US, and the Costa Rican people, the ticos. I would recommend this trip to someone who desires adventure and friendship, not for someone looking to learn spanish. If you are looking to brush up and communicate decently while also enjoying the beauty and all the fun this country has to offer, this is the trip for you! If your main focus is fluency or a significant increase in Spanish skills, you may want to look into a different program. This experience will be unforgettable and will influence decisions I make in the future.

I came to learn Spanish and I am not satisfied with the amount of Spanish I learned

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Sol Abroad

Sol Abroad is an affordable high school study abroad, Gap Year and Spanish immersion program for students 14 - 18 years of age. There are programs offered during the summer and semester. Sol students live with local homestays, take Spanish classes...