Sol Abroad High School Program in Costa Rica

Study abroad and learn Spanish in one of the most beautiful countries in the world . . . ¡Costa Rica! Explore the verdant cloud forests and tropical coastlines of the Central American country while immersing yourself in the Spanish language. Sol Abroad has on-site directors that provide quality academic support and assistance during your study abroad. For our Summer Programs, you will study at a language institute, located in the highlands of central Costa Rica. For our Gap Year programs, you will take classes at an accredited private university. Sol Abroad high school programs provide quality academic support and assistance throughout your experience.

• Highly rated homestays
  • Included excursions and cultural activities
  • High-level academic advising and assistance
  • Attentive and dedicated onsite directors
  • Very personable and inclusive program

Henry

Literally The Best Thing Ever

This was the most fun I've ever had... literally, would SUPER recommend!!!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nothing much at all, really just more swimming!
Campbell

Costa Rica 2018

This Costa Rica trip will be unforgettable. I learned so much about myself, other students like me in the US, and the Costa Rican people, the ticos. I would recommend this trip to someone who desires adventure and friendship, not for someone looking to learn spanish. If you are looking to brush up and communicate decently while also enjoying the beauty and all the fun this country has to offer, this is the trip for you! If your main focus is fluency or a significant increase in Spanish skills, you may want to look into a different program. This experience will be unforgettable and will influence decisions I make in the future.

I came to learn Spanish and I am not satisfied with the amount of Spanish I learned
Rori

Sol Abroad~Costa Rica

This program was incredibly important to my growth both academically and personally. I came in straight out of Spanish 1 and now I feel ready to skip Spanish 2, using the book they gave me. Without the book I probably wouldn’t be ready but with the book I’m fine. I have never done something like this before. I’ve never been out of country or thrown into a new language like this. I feel very different and ready to take on more countries and languages-after I become fluent in Spanish of course! I felt slightly disconnected from the staff but I did not make much of an effort to know them so I do not blame them. The director for both programs (Summer 1 and 2) was very fun and helped us make the best of things. She worked tirelessly to make sure things would work out. For example, she moved around our excursions and instead of not doing anything when the waterfall water was too high to swim in, we went and did a sloth tour where I saw my first ever sloth! I had a lot of fun hanging out with other people in the program. I wish I had gone out and interacted with more Ticos but I’ll know for next time. My housing situation was awesome. I will be staying in touch with my house mom. She was great and loved to tease me. I felt pretty safe during the program. However, when I walked home during the dark I did not feel as safe as possible due to the lack of street lights. My favorite part of the entire trip was falling outside of the raft during white water rafting! It was scary but the people in my raft were very bonded afterwards. The instructor was very calm and handled the situation well. It actually convinced me to join my school’s rowing team! Overall, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything!

The program should have less free time. That was the only thing that I really wish was different. I spent a lot of time sitting in my room or hanging out with other Americans!
Taylor

5 weeks in Costa Rica

Coming out of my five week Costa Rica stay, I feel like a different person with an increased appreciation for other cultures, and tons of amazing memories. Through this program you are not only able to meet Costa Ricans who, polite and friendly, support you as you improve your broken Spanish, but also other students, equally interested and inspired by our new surroundings. While my Spanish improved here, I´d say this is not an intensive language program.

In order to improve this program, Spanish should be encouraged in student to student interactions, like the cultural activities.
Ben

atenas 2018

it was unique because i met people from all over the US and even france that i had never met before. many choices during this trip are your choices, which directly impact the experience of your trip.future participants should know that it is very fun and there is no reason to dread or be nervous before the trip. This trip affected my life post-program as i became more social, more aware of my surroudings, and learned to always have a positive attitude.My favorite memory had to be the hot springs resort, it was amazing.

more spanish grammar and vocab should be taught in school.
Ben

A fun expierience however a good attitude is important

While I did not learn much in the school the immersion served to improve my Spanish. The most important thing is when you're heading into activities even if you don't want to do them just have a good attitude and you'l find a way to make them fun. Since i apparently need more words on this review ill talk about how I believe Croatia deserved the world cup title because they were such a work horse of a team while France was a big money ego filled luck team. Also the USA could have done well in this world cup but apparently we couldn't tie or beat the coleuses of a team in Trinidad and Tobago.

Learign more spanish through free time in a town
Deianna

Fun Experience

I enjoyed the unique experience. It was fun to get to know Costa Rica. I also enjoyed getting to know people from other areas. The excursions were by far the best part! Another thing that is so fun is getting close to the directors here. It might be hard to be away from home for a bit and feel uncomfortable but if you just join groups and be involved it won’t be as bad as you think. If I had a chance to do this program again I would absolutely do it!

Cassidy

It was really fun!!!

The two weeks in Athenas was really fun!!!!! I feel as I grew as a person, I become more confident. Not only did my Spanish improve but I feel like I become closer to many people. It was two weeks that are very special and I will never forget. I am so glad that I went on this trip. It was Amazing!!!!!! I loved the amount of freedom that we had. I loved our host family and Athenas. I loved all our Spanish lessons and Culture lessons. I especially loved the movie and the hot springs. I am very lucky to have had the experience that I did.

Have less confusing meeting places.
Kaitlyn

My Amazing Costa Rica Expierence

My expierence was unique because we were treated like our host parents kids. When ever i would come home and be worried about time my host parents were there for me just like their own kids. Also i really got a true feel for what native speaking is like. Also, there was no translator for me if i was stuck in a situation anywhere and i had to improvise what i was saying i was really forced to speak which was sometimes really chAllenging but i loved being challenged.

i feel that in daily classes at whatever school kids will be studying at unless a kid does not know any spanish they should be learning new things like i felt that i did not learn any new spanish grammar besides what i already knew which was frustrating for me at times.
Kaitlyn

CR2018

I have fallen in love with Costa Rica. It is a beautiful country with such an amazing and rich culture. The locals here are incredibly friendly and always greet you when you´re out walking. The food here is some of the most amazing food I´ve had in my life, and everything is so fresh. My host mom and the teachers here were very kind and really helped me break out of my shell when speaking Spanish. All of the cultural activities and excursions were to the most beautiful places and always had something fun to do. A part of me will always be with Costa Rica and eagerly await to return!

This program and be improved by adding more activities that allow us to interact more with the locals.
Morgan

Costa Rica 2018

My study abroad experience in Costa Rica this summer was incredible and definitely an experience I will remember forever. My host family was one of the best parts! With me being an only child, living with 6 other people here was a great time! We stayed up late singing to songs we all loved. We played volleyball in our backyard almost every day. The food was also delicious! Also, the professors/directors were so kind and helped us in every way possible to not only improve our Spanish as students, but to ensure each student had a fullfilling experience.

It's good the way it is.
Bi

Overall unforgettable experience.

This trip has strengthened my spanish as well as catered to my desire for new experiences. The trip provided me with an extensive amount of spanish usage, as well as a new appreciation for Costa Rican culture. It has given me a good balance between learning and genuine fun. I have also gotten to get close with my host family, who took great care of me and allowed me to form a genuine bond with them.

One way this program could be improved is by giving us the opportunity to get to know our roommates beforehand. Giving us the opprutunity to get to know them better will help us grow a stronger bond.
Whit

Costa Rica is amazing

The directors of the trip, Maria and Judith, were awesome, as they struck a perfect balance between learning Spanish and having fun. Also, they prioritized our safety at all times. Furthermore, I loved my host family and want to visit them in the future. They treated my housemate and I as family and really cared for us. Lastly, I really enjoyed all three of the excursions as they were a great opportunity to bond with the other kids on the trip. Overall, it was a great experience!

Maybe a little less school and instead spending a bit more time with our family. I feel like I learned almost as much Spanish speaking with my family as I did at school, but school was great as well.
Theodore

Andrews messenger

Once upon a time... there was a man named Andrew. He decided to tell one of his students that he was God. The student believed him and proceeded to pray under his stewardship. One class he handed out papers to his disciples each 14-15 year old reaching out to grasp the thin piece of scripture. All but one student recived one. That student was Theodore Tolan. The one student who prayed for him, the student who cherished his lord, the student who carried his teachings throughout the valleys of Austin TX. The student pleaded and pleaded to consider the knowledge of his lord. Eventually he was passed ink, a quill, and the words of god. What he understood was that if he signed his name on the script he would be able to travel to the happiest nation in the world for 2 weeks with his lord. With a large and profound stroke of the quill along the paper, the disciple checked yes in the square inscription on the document. A few months later he is having the time of his life becoming more and more compfortable with speaking Spanish. He is eating large quantities of delicious food, zip lining through a rainforest and thanking his holy father, Andrew Lantz, for blessing him with this opportunity.

More time to hang out with Andy
Harper

Costa Rica 2018

This program was a very good experience! Our host family was very nice and easy to talk to, the directors were more than capable and very nice, and the country was a very nice place. I really felt like I was immersed in the culture, and I learned a lot. . .

Spend more time planning for the volunteering because we were kind of over our heads

About Sol Abroad

Sol Abroad is an affordable high school study abroad, Gap Year and Spanish immersion program for students 14 - 18 years of age. There are programs offered during the summer and semester. Sol students live with local families, take Spanish classes on...