Sol Abroad High School Program in Costa Rica

Study abroad and learn Spanish in one of the most beautiful countries in the world . . . ¡Costa Rica! Explore the verdant cloud forests and tropical coastlines of the Central American country while immersing yourself in the Spanish language. Sol Abroad has on-site directors that provide quality academic support and assistance during your study abroad. For our Summer Programs, you will study at a language institute, located in the highlands of central Costa Rica. For our Gap Year programs, you will take classes at an accredited private university. Sol Abroad high school programs provide quality academic support and assistance throughout your experience.

• Highly rated homestays
  • Included excursions and cultural activities
  • High-level academic advising and assistance
  • Attentive and dedicated onsite directors
  • Very personable and inclusive program

Jonah

Mostly good

Great trips and people but Spanish speaking should be more enforced/incentived when within the group. The excursions were very fun and usually well thought out. Every meal was delicious and safety was a constant. We didn’t go in some of the promised excursions due to various reasons which was a let down. The host family was great. Costa Rica was a great place to go because it has so many different things to offer without feeling too touristy, though at times it did feel a little cheesy, that’s inevitable though.

Spanish speaking should be more enforced/incentived when within the group
Madalyn

Costa Rica- first time traveling

I absolutely loved my experience in Costa Rica and it was an amazing first time traveling. Although my host mother had some days where she was rude everything else about my experience was fantastic. I loved every excursion, dance, and food I had in Costa Rica. Rooming with my best friend was an experience we could never get any other way. Our host sister was amazing and the amount of new language I picked up in only two weeks is incredible. I absolutely fell
in love with Costa Rican culture and dance. I made friends with ticos and our tour guides Catalina and Orlando were the most amazing people my group could ask for. We truly became a family on our trip.

Natalie

Summer in CR

BEST SUMMER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved everyone I became friends with there! I still talk with them all everyday. The housing made me step out of my comfort zone completely but in the end I loved it. I wish we had hot water because I was cold but oh well. The food was good and school wasn’t bad at all. I liked our teacher! We did a lot of fun things like shopping and zip lining! I loved meeting the locals and speaking the language with them. I learned a lot about the culture and would do it all over again in a heart beat!

emma

Costa Rica Study abroad trip

I loved this trip so much i met new friends that i still keep in contact with. It was a great edperience to learn about costa rica’s culture and improve your language skills. The family i stayed with was very kind and My brother and I enjoyed playing with their grandson. Future participants should try this because Sol abroad made the experience amazing and I never felt uncomfortable. The program helps you through everything. After this trip it has made me think about future study abroad trips i can join. The trip has helped me improve my spanish speaking ability greatly. Some useful tips would be PREPARE for the weather you have to bring light dry fit clothes and bring all of your bathroom supplies because it is expensive to buy new things there.

This program could be improved by knowing more about the host family and making sure you are getting along with them and how they are treating you.
Lindsey

sol abroad

overall this was the most amazing experience. i met so many amazing people who were also going on the trip. the host families were all so sweet and generous and it was amazing to see how they live differently than me. the excursions and activities we did were so much fun and most of it was stuff i probably won’t get an opportunity to do again. i will remember this experience and the people i met for my entire life.

better spanish classes
Cristian

Beautiful country with rich, vibrant culture.

The food is amazing, the people are friendly, and the experience is simply unforgettable. You will form bonds with the people with you, your host family, the culture, and the country. Plenty of chances to practice and improve your Spanish. It was an adventure and I'm really glad I did it. I would do it all over again. A student will develop as an individual and grow in maturity and experience. It truly was an amazing experience and Sol Abroad has done a great job of simplifying and providing a fun, safe, memorable program for all.

Eliza

Costa Rica with Sol Abroad

This was a really fun experience, the house that I stayed in was really nice, the staff were friendly, the actives were fun and I learned more Spanish. My favorite activities were teaching children English, dancing and cooking. Our Spanish teacher was very nice, I only had two other people in my Spanish class, and it was my best Spanish learning experience. One of my favorite memories was making fruit salad with fruit we bought at a local market.

Campbell

Costa Rica 2018

This Costa Rica trip will be unforgettable. I learned so much about myself, other students like me in the US, and the Costa Rican people, the ticos. I would recommend this trip to someone who desires adventure and friendship, not for someone looking to learn spanish. If you are looking to brush up and communicate decently while also enjoying the beauty and all the fun this country has to offer, this is the trip for you! If your main focus is fluency or a significant increase in Spanish skills, you may want to look into a different program. This experience will be unforgettable and will influence decisions I make in the future.

I came to learn Spanish and I am not satisfied with the amount of Spanish I learned
Rori

Sol Abroad~Costa Rica

This program was incredibly important to my growth both academically and personally. I came in straight out of Spanish 1 and now I feel ready to skip Spanish 2, using the book they gave me. Without the book I probably wouldn’t be ready but with the book I’m fine. I have never done something like this before. I’ve never been out of country or thrown into a new language like this. I feel very different and ready to take on more countries and languages-after I become fluent in Spanish of course! I felt slightly disconnected from the staff but I did not make much of an effort to know them so I do not blame them. The director for both programs (Summer 1 and 2) was very fun and helped us make the best of things. She worked tirelessly to make sure things would work out. For example, she moved around our excursions and instead of not doing anything when the waterfall water was too high to swim in, we went and did a sloth tour where I saw my first ever sloth! I had a lot of fun hanging out with other people in the program. I wish I had gone out and interacted with more Ticos but I’ll know for next time. My housing situation was awesome. I will be staying in touch with my house mom. She was great and loved to tease me. I felt pretty safe during the program. However, when I walked home during the dark I did not feel as safe as possible due to the lack of street lights. My favorite part of the entire trip was falling outside of the raft during white water rafting! It was scary but the people in my raft were very bonded afterwards. The instructor was very calm and handled the situation well. It actually convinced me to join my school’s rowing team! Overall, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything!

The program should have less free time. That was the only thing that I really wish was different. I spent a lot of time sitting in my room or hanging out with other Americans!
Taylor

5 weeks in Costa Rica

Coming out of my five week Costa Rica stay, I feel like a different person with an increased appreciation for other cultures, and tons of amazing memories. Through this program you are not only able to meet Costa Ricans who, polite and friendly, support you as you improve your broken Spanish, but also other students, equally interested and inspired by our new surroundings. While my Spanish improved here, I´d say this is not an intensive language program.

In order to improve this program, Spanish should be encouraged in student to student interactions, like the cultural activities.
Ben

atenas 2018

it was unique because i met people from all over the US and even france that i had never met before. many choices during this trip are your choices, which directly impact the experience of your trip.future participants should know that it is very fun and there is no reason to dread or be nervous before the trip. This trip affected my life post-program as i became more social, more aware of my surroudings, and learned to always have a positive attitude.My favorite memory had to be the hot springs resort, it was amazing.

more spanish grammar and vocab should be taught in school.
Ben

A fun expierience however a good attitude is important

While I did not learn much in the school the immersion served to improve my Spanish. The most important thing is when you're heading into activities even if you don't want to do them just have a good attitude and you'l find a way to make them fun. Since i apparently need more words on this review ill talk about how I believe Croatia deserved the world cup title because they were such a work horse of a team while France was a big money ego filled luck team. Also the USA could have done well in this world cup but apparently we couldn't tie or beat the coleuses of a team in Trinidad and Tobago.

Learign more spanish through free time in a town
Deianna

Fun Experience

I enjoyed the unique experience. It was fun to get to know Costa Rica. I also enjoyed getting to know people from other areas. The excursions were by far the best part! Another thing that is so fun is getting close to the directors here. It might be hard to be away from home for a bit and feel uncomfortable but if you just join groups and be involved it won’t be as bad as you think. If I had a chance to do this program again I would absolutely do it!

Cassidy

It was really fun!!!

The two weeks in Athenas was really fun!!!!! I feel as I grew as a person, I become more confident. Not only did my Spanish improve but I feel like I become closer to many people. It was two weeks that are very special and I will never forget. I am so glad that I went on this trip. It was Amazing!!!!!! I loved the amount of freedom that we had. I loved our host family and Athenas. I loved all our Spanish lessons and Culture lessons. I especially loved the movie and the hot springs. I am very lucky to have had the experience that I did.

Have less confusing meeting places.
Kaitlyn

My Amazing Costa Rica Expierence

My expierence was unique because we were treated like our host parents kids. When ever i would come home and be worried about time my host parents were there for me just like their own kids. Also i really got a true feel for what native speaking is like. Also, there was no translator for me if i was stuck in a situation anywhere and i had to improvise what i was saying i was really forced to speak which was sometimes really chAllenging but i loved being challenged.

i feel that in daily classes at whatever school kids will be studying at unless a kid does not know any spanish they should be learning new things like i felt that i did not learn any new spanish grammar besides what i already knew which was frustrating for me at times.

About Sol Abroad

Sol Abroad is an affordable high school study abroad, Gap Year and Spanish immersion program for students 14 - 18 years of age. There are programs offered during the summer and semester. Sol students live with local families, take Spanish classes on...