High School Summer Abroad in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – Promoting Children's Rights & Education

high school summer abroad dominican republic santo domingo service
high school summer abroad dominican republic santo domingo service

With CIEE, you’ll work with an NGO to help provide at-risk youth with vocational training and English-language learning. Your work helps these children gain the skills they need to find better-paying jobs, and perhaps even break the cycle in which they are living.

Enjoy everyday city and rural life in a Caribbean island nation. Swim, stroll, shop, explore – at a laid-back island pace.

In your free time, you’ll enjoy the warmth of the Dominican people, who just may share with you their passion for dominos and baseball, as well as the stunning beauty of this Caribbean jewel that few tourists see.

Xavier

Review of CIEE's Santo Domingo, Promoting the Rights and Education of Children

The program I attended was a massively beneficial experience. The program leaders were always there to check up on me and my peers, making sure everybody was well and good. The support was staggering, there was so much. The experience was so enriching, the excursions were so fun, and the food so good. CIEE is genuinely concerned for their participants and that shows through their constant questions and check ups on their students. The program was great and so enriching and life-changing.

Aceadia

Service In Santo Domingo

This program brought some of the best weeks of my life.
I was deeply well prepared by an educational program CIEE has you take before attending the program and got to know the people in my group really well.
There was a great balance between volunteer work time, tourist activities, and social time planned for each us all.
My host family was very kind, the maid always helped clean our rooms so that made life 10X better, and we always had breakfast, lunch, and dinner prepared it was always beyond delicious.
We would usually spend the morning in service, and then do something related to tourism or exploring the area in the afternoon, or take Spanish classes.
We went to a local school to play sports with kids, and really just have fun with them. It was really interesting to see differences in countries with the school system.
The best part of the trip was the three - day excursion where we went to kind of a resort like area and we had our own cabin rooms that were super beautiful. We had little waterfall pools by us all and there were horses everywhere! We got to go hiking, and see an area that Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed at. We got to help plant trees and chill at the beautiful beach. I remember going to places with little mini tiki huts, and hammocks, it was absolutely beautiful.
The trip was so fun, helping the kids out and playing with them was beyond an adventure, and I remember how I learned so much more about the world just by being in a different country. It was an absolute gift and an experience I'll never forget.
If you're looking to volunteer, grow, learn more about the world, life, and meet incredible people looking for more experiences, I 10/10 reccomend.
This was an amazing experience in my life that I am beyond grateful for, and I hope that you get to experience this too.
Post program, I was more driven to travel in the future because I now know how beautiful, fun, and fulfilling it can be. I now value a lot of things that are in the US that many countries don't have like AC in most buildings, and clean drinking water.
Some useful tips if you decide to go
1) Don't come in with expectations and be prepared for a whole different way of living
2) Sometimes the showers only have cold water
3) Their are A LOT of bugs in Santo Domingo
4) Be prepared to be around people a lot and try your best to socialize to have a fuller experience
5) If you try everything, you won't regret it! You have to get out of your comfort zone or else you're not going to be truly happy
6) Things on this trip WILL NOT GO perfect. If you complain, you'll only make it worse. If you accept it, and do what you can about the situation than life will be 10X better for you
7) Allow yourself to have more fun on this trip!!

I would say to have more volunteer activities that we can do that make a bigger impact. Playing sports with the kids was fun, but how can we do even more for them?
Sophie

A life-changing experience

I not only improved my Spanish, I gained a whole new perspective on the Spanish culture by constantly being immersed in it. I gained a bunch of close new friends, and we have met up many times, despite living far away from each other. I had the most amazing time teaching the Dominican children Spanish, painting the houses in the neighborhood, and exploring the local beaches and cities. My favorite memory was bonding with this little boy named David at the camp we were teaching at.

There could have been a little more organization with the excursions we took.
Sophie

Dream trip to the DR

In July of 2017 I, along with 29 other students, headed to the Donovan republic for 3 weeks we will never forget. Overall this trip had everything you could ask for, a great community, amazing food, beautiful beaches, fun service time with children, and so much more. One of most memorable things about my trip to the DR was meeting an amazing friend. Her and I instantly hit it off at the airport and I never thought I could become so close with someone in such a short amount of time. We still communicate regularly and plan to spend time together this summer at the beach since she is going to college this fall 2018. Another great memory from my trip was going on a 2 hour hike in the jungles of the Donovan Republic. This hike was definetly y messy but so worth it! The views were magnificent and it has been one of the coolest things I’ve ever done! I loved disconnecting from the world for a little bit and just enjoying nature. Overall my trip to the DR was amazing and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think everyone should have an opportunity like this because exploring these new places, meeting new people, and spending time with kids made each day turkey special. I miss all the children I worked with everyday st the local school and Id do anything to check back in with them.

The only improvement that needs to be made is a closer inspection of the Host parents. In the end my relationship with my host mom was good, but in the beginning it was very tough and I think this could have been avoided had CIEE better communicated with her the expectations.
Response from CIEE Global Navigator

Hi Sophie, thank you for your review. We’re so glad that you enjoyed your summer program with us, and that the difficulties you experienced were resolved! Your feedback is very important and helps us improve our students’ experiences abroad. We know that living with a host family abroad isn’t always easy at first, but CIEE staff are always available to assist students and host families with any difficulties on program. With open and honest communication, patience and understanding of cultural differences, this experience can result in meaningful relationships that last a lifetime!