Abbey Road High School French Immersion Homestay Program in St. Laurent-du-Var

Abbey Road Summer High School Study Abroad French Immersion France

Explore the beautiful French Riviera with Abbey Road in our Summer High School French Immersion Homestay program in St. Laurent-du-Var, France! Wander through old cobblestone streets, indulge in the local culture, and practice speaking French with locals at cafes, fashion boutiques, and art festivals.

Study the French language, art, and history with other international teens, go on exciting excursions to Nice, Cannes, Monaco, Antibes, Ezé, Saint Tropez, and more! Experience living independently abroad in France with our generous and accommodating host families. Opt into our Travel Extension to Paris and make the most out of your summer! Visit Abbey Road’s site to learn more about other high school summer programs in Europe and North America, or to Apply Now!

• Flexibility
  • Homestay
  • Customizable
  • Individual Attention
  • Quality

Annemarie

Amazing summer

The program was incredible. St Laurent du Var is very beautiful and has many places close by to visit and explore.
My host was just amazing, so sweet and caring and we have kept in touch since my return. I made great new friends on the trip from all over and we still write each other too. My French improved a lot as we spoke pretty much only French the entire trip.my we did a lot of exploring, it is one of the prettiest parts of France and I really feel like I got a good flavor of what French life is like. The daily activities were so fun - including cheese tasting, kayaking, snorkeling, visiting museums, train rides to special beaches and a karaoke night. The whole program was extremely well organized, I felt very safe the entire trip. I would love the opportunity to do more :)

What was your funniest moment?
Karaoke singing with my new friends! This was such a fun night and my first time ever doing karaoke
Madelyn

St Laurent Homestay

I had a wonderful experience at Abbey Road’s St Laurent Homestay Program. Even though I was only there for three weeks, I learned so much about the culture, language, and lives of Laurentines! The classes were super helpful to learn the ins and outs of the language, and a lot more about the vocabulary that one could use in everyday conversation. My experience with my host family was amazing, Cathy and Herve were the sweetest people I have met in a long time, and they always made sure that we felt at home with them, helping to acclimate to the new schedule and lifestyle in France. I would recommend anyone to stay with them, and I can faire tes that any other kid that will stay with them will have the same enthusiasm as I do. I will continue to stay in contact with them, because I hope to maintain the close relationship I have built with them over the past few weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here in St Laurent!!

What was your funniest moment?
When I found out that my host family liked the same shows as I do, and we took turns quoting from them in French.
Lexi

AMAZING

I loved the fact that the group was small and that allowed for more growth and was a better social scene. I loved all the variety of different activities such as snorkeling and shopping and visiting museums and the electives. I wish there were a couple more activities and maybe a little more free time of long mounts of time where we could just head to the beach for a day or maybe go out for lunch or something. I thought my host family was so amazing and I thought it worked out perfectly. The host family living situations were perfect and I wouldn’t change a thing about them. I had an amazing experience and I thought the teachers and all the adults were just absolutely amazing and super kind and understanding. I am very sad to leave, but I know I made the best of my trip.

I would make it so there are more french classes and also more free time
Addie

I learned SO MUCH

I spent three weeks in St-Laurent-du-Var with Abbey Road programs this summer, and it was absolutely amazing. I made lifelong friends and memories that I’m never going to lose. I’d highly recommend the home stay program for any student looking to really immerse and learn the language, as my host mom helped me a lot with my accent and learning how to express thoughts and feelings. The food was wonderful and the classes were beneficial and fun (shout out to Sarah and Camille for being the BEST teachers). There were a few small things that the program could have done better, for example communication between staff members, host families and students. I also would have appreciated knowing the schedule for the week a few days before or having a digital version of the schedule. Aside from those things, however, this has been an incredible experience.

All you’re going to eat is bread, so get ready to gain a few pounds.
Beatrice

My Summer with Abbey Road in St. Laurent, France

I had a fabulous summer in St. Laurent, France. I stayed with 3 other American girls in a French home. My host family was really great. They were very welcoming. My host mom was good about asking us about foods that we wanted to eat. She also served us traditional french foods that we sometimes liked (lol!). She did send us a packed lunch but I do admit that we often grabbed a bite at the local cafes, which was a lot of fun.
We had language class most mornings but had lots of time after that to do other things - explore, go shopping etc. I also took a gym class (totally optional) which was fun. Our trainer had us doing all sorts of exercises - and I am not the exercising type! Other kids chose to do other activities.
On weekends we went on lots of excursions to other places in France and we also crossed into Italy for a day. I made so many good friends. This was my first time overseas and I felt safe and supported the entire time.
I didn't actually end up spending much money while I was there, which made my parents happy. Everything is really provided by the program. I spent a small amount on pastries, coffee etc and a bit on gifts. But I did not have to worry about money at all for the day to day type things.
I really have no complaints at all. The home stay worked well for me - I really wanted to meet a French family and take in the culture. It worked out perfectly.

I would be open to the experience. Don't be disrespectful or ungrateful just because things are different than you are used to.
Orlando

My Son Had An Amazing Trip

My son Joseph decided that he wants to become fluent in French. He found Abbey Road by searching for French immersion programs. As this was my son's first time traveling by himself and his first experience out of the country, I confess I was concerned. But, I soon realized that my concerns were completely unfounded. The fine professionals at Abbey Road provide a safe, secure experience in which every parent can have complete confidence. My son had an amazing time in St. Laurent-du-Var and the Paris extension, which I recommend very highly, by the way. Joseph came back with greatly improved language skills, a deep appreciation for the French culture, and an expanded world view. I could not be happier.

Maddie

Homestay!

I loved the St Laurent Du Var program! I can't imagine living any other way besides with a family. I really enjoyed the immersion in French with my homestay family. The trips were fun and often allowed me to experience a piece of the culture of southern France, while also giving me time to explore and bond with my roommates and peers. I am an advanced French speaker, so the advanced class was a bit too easy, but I enjoyed the chance to practice my French anyway. The night soirées were fun and I really got to explore the St Laurent Du Var boardwalk. I would highly recommend the Abbey Road programs!

The program could be improved by creating more class levels and offering electives more often.
Juliette

Fantastic Experience

I am about to finish my time on this program and I have enjoyed it so much! I have made amazing friends and memories. My favorite part of this trip was the homestay. I was in a house with two other girls on the trip and my family was fantastic. My homestay mother was the sweetest woman I could have ever wished for and my dad was so funny and cared so much about us. The two sons (16 and 7) helped us immerse in the culture and understand what it's like to be a french child. We went on many trips outside of St. Laurent which were both cultural and extremely enjoyable. My advice to anyone who is signing up for this trip is to try to speak as much french as possible in and out of the classroom in order to learn the most possible French.

This year, there was not a classroom for all three levels of French class so sometimes we found ourselves learning on the grass which became a bit distracting and uncomfortable. In class we also spent a lot of time on specific grammar lessons which was not exactly what I was looking to study in France. I asked a few times if we could do more conversational learning but my best advice would be to take the conversation class if that is what you're looking for.
Emma

A Great Time

I loved the St. Laurent program. The homestay family was especially memorable. They were more than hospitable and spending time with them at dinner and having meaningful conversation was such a good way to learn. They had an extensive garden and it definitely showed in their cuisine, honestly some of the best food I've had.
Outside the homestay, the trip was a lot of fun. We went to the beach almost everyday and by the end, we were pretty familiar with the best places to go on the main strip in St. Laurent. I was also surprised by how many places we got to visit. We took lots of day trips and we were able to really see what the French Riviera has to offer from the Picasso museum to parasailing in Nice.
I'd recommend this trip over the Nice trip because 1) I can't imagine not having the homestay experience and 2) our group was about half the size and that made the travel easier and the experience a lot more personal.

I'd say the classes and activities were boring sometimes but the leaders were pretty flexible with what we wanted.
Ethan

Great experience

I really enjoyed my time in France. I lived with two different host families. I especially enjoyed the first family because they only spoke French. I really wanted to get the full immersion experience when I was there. There were a lot of different activities at night and on the weekends.
My French is pretty advanced so the class work wasn't very challenging, but I learned a lot just by living with the family and speaking to storeowners etc.

My favorite part was the weekend excursions to other cities like Cannes and Monaco.

I would have liked to have more independence. We could only go out as a group, but not all of us lived close enough to each other. I also wish there had been more elective options in the afternoon.

Location:
Nice
( NCE )
Lyon Saint Exupéry
( LYS )

Whether you are looking to learn the language of love, ski in the french alps, indulge in incredible food, or unwind by the French riviera; this country has plenty to keep you busy. While traveling in France, you will see a large variety of different lifestyles, accents, and delicacies from region to region.

About Abbey Road Programs

Abbey Road Programs provides several summer programs for high school students. From study abroad, to language and cultural immersion, to student travel around Europe, Abbey Road is proud to offer it! With program locations currently in Spain, France,...