Summer Volunteer Programs in Bali

Summer Volunteer Programs in Bali

During your time in Bali you’ll volunteer with inspirational community organizations, explore off-the-beaten path places and enjoy the rich and vibrant local culture.

Global Leadership Adventures offers multiple teen summer programs in Bali, Indonesia; programs are focused on community service for high school students, and medicine & publich health:

* Land of Discovery: Take to the Pacific and embrace Bali, from its tropical waters to its educational challenges.
* Global Health Initiative: Explore the intersection of modern medicine and indigenous wisdom as you lend a hand to community health projects.

Asia » Indonesia » Bali
Asia » Indonesia
Program Categories

Includes: All meals and purified water, Lodging in GLA Home-Base, All excursions and activities, 24-hour emergency hotline, Airport Transportation, Local Transportation, Pre-departure Orientation, Travel, medical and evacuation insurance, Phone call home upon arrival.

Hi Alejandro, here is what I found on the GLA site "GLA has set aside a finite pool of need-based scholarships under the GLA Scholarship Fund. In order to apply for a scholarship, students must submit a Financial Aid Form and copies of their parents' income tax filings from the last two years, along with their program application. Unfortunately, GLA does not directly offer any full-fee scholarship...

Kate
New York

Global Leadership Adventures: Bali 2017

I travelled to Bali this past summer, in 2017, with Global Leadership Adventures, and truly had the best time. I had been on their Galapagos program the summer before, so I was not super nervous about the transportation, but rather I was excited!! It was awesome to be able to chat with some of the kids before the program even started, during the close to 22 hours of flying we had to do. My group was rather large, at 39 students, but we all bonded quickly. My mentors were super cool, and it helped that they were relatively close in age to us, making it really easy to relate, and have fun with them. All of our immersive activities were so meaningful, and it was clear that people in Bali truly love their island. Some of my favorite memories from my trip include: spending a weekend at East Bali Immersion, going on 2 beginner scuba dives, spending 7 meaningful days with the schoolkids of SD2 Kaliasem, and our ridiculously fun evening activities. Although the humidity was thick, and the sun was strong, I still managed to spend most of my time outdoors, and soak up the Balinese lifestyle. I absolutely adored my time in Indonesia, and would do it all again if I had the chance. I have a newfound appreciation for my schooling privileges, and I am much more conscious about the lack of resources in other parts of the world after returning home. Forever wishing I could have just one more day in Bali with the most amazing people.

Ryan
Toronto, ON

My experience on GLA

My experience on GLA Bali is one I will never forget. The travel time was long and tiring, but the trip made it worth my time. One of my most memorable moments was when we were residing at Ahmed beach. It was absolutely breathtaking. On the first day we arrived, Noah, Josè, and I decided to go on an adventure alongside a cliff at the end of the beach. It was around 7:00pm and the sun was setting. We climbed to the top and decide to turn back and return to the resort, but not before we took a long gaze at the sunset. It was just an amazing view and I will always remember this story because it was a special one.

Makenna
Petaluma, CA

The Experience of a Lifetime

While I was reading the other reviews to get some inspiration about what to say, I realized all of them had one major similarity, being that every GLA trip whether you go to Costa Rica or Bali (like me), you will have an unforgettable experience that will change your life. And for most that unforgettable experience helps to propel you to do incredible things for the people and cultures that populate the world.

I had the chance to work side by side with people who I still love and care about, teaching amazingly talented and inspirational children. I got to learn the culture of the Balinese people and prayed with them in Holy Temples. I walked around the city of Ubud and made conversation with random strangers on the street, not to mention the GORGEOUS views. I learned from everything around me, and I made long lasting relationships that I hope one day will bring me back.

This trip, just like every other GLA trip will alter your life and way of thinking about the world. If you're even slightly considering going on one, you should stop considering and go.

It couldn't be improved. It was an incredible trip, that not only allowed me to be the change but also changed me.

Brenden
Boston, MA, USA

Life-Changing Experience

My GLA experience in Bali was amazing and one I know I will not forget!

By being on this trip, I have developed leadership skills and better yet, friendships that will last a lifetime. Being a leader is not easy and can be a difficult task. However, on GLA's Bali program, each student was required to lead the entire group for one whole day. During the program, I realized that a leader must have deep convictions of his goals, be clear about what needs to be achieved, find the strength of each individual, and work with those strengths.

Being a leader was also very important in the classroom. On the first day of volunteering, we began with thirty students. And by the end, we concluded with almost ninety students. We taught English in meaningful subjects such as health, hygiene, body parts, animals, colors, numbers, and much more. Being a leader was important in the classroom to achieve the task at hand. We had to work with each other to create meaningful lesson plans. Meaningful lesson plans would then result in a transformative experience for the students we taught as it was just for me.

If you are thinking about joining GLA's Bali: Land of Discovery program, it is perfect for any person of any character. Bali is truly a land of discovery where you will always have a place in your heart for and a home to go to!

Bali is full of many fun activities to take part in and the staff will be sure that every student gets the most of their experience their! From getting off my flight in Denpasar, to going on an ultimate scavenger hunt in Ubud, to relaxing at a resort in Lovina, to taking a spider boat ride in the sunset, to going Scuba Diving for my first time in Amed, and most importantly volunteering at local schools in Singaraja, it was a fun and life changing experince I will never forget!

If I had to change one thing about GLA's Bali program it would be to include even more cultural interactive experinces - immersing ourselves in the culture even more than a tourist would! Although we were able to do many things that tourists wouldn't be able to experince, I would of liked even more activities that tourists couldn't have experienced!

Kate
New Jersey

Absolutely Amazing!!

Last summer, I spent 3 weeks in Bali with GLA, and it was absolutely amazing! We got to travel around the entire island, experiencing everyday Balinese life while seeing some of the most amazing attractions the island has to offer! In addition, our time in the classrooms with the children was amazing and I have learned so much from it.

One of the best things about the program is the independence that it gives you. You are able to make your own decisions and experience everything for yourself, and it helped me become more independent and confident in myself.

ElsaGP
California

AMAZING!

As a Summer Search student I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Bali, Indonesia this past summerWhile in Bali, I worked with disabled children, attended religious ceremonies, and interacted with the community. Working with the handicapped children was one of the most rewarding things I have done.
I went to the school with the intention of teaching them some English, but as it turned out, the students taught the teacher. They taught me look at life in a new perspective, and that as long as one is happy, everything else will harmonically fall into place. The native people helped me truly experience the life of a Balinese woman, whether it was through riding motor bikes, eating their exquisite dishes, learning how to tie a sarong, learning their traditional dance, or making offerings for the spirits. Ever since, I feel more confident with the decisions I take, and more confident with myself all around

Ali
prospect, pa

It Will Change Your Perspective

Basically, this Bali trip was the most amazing experience of my life thus far. I'm a traveler at heart, so I dealt with the changes easily, but there was nothing that a little change in perspective couldn't fix for anybody.
On a regular day, we would plan to be leaving the homestay by 9:30am, but with the easy going mentality of the Balinese, most days it was more like 10am. This no worries mind-set really teaches you to relax and enjoy. Every morning we had breakfast at the homestay and ate most of our other meals out. The food was delicious (a lot of rice, yum!), and sometimes I wasn't even sure what I was eating, but I was never disappointed!
For a lot of the mornings, we went to a school to help out the teachers, and hang out with the kids for the day playing games and teaching them some English. We really were able to form amazing relationships with these kids even with the language barrier.
While the trip to Bali was only 2 weeks (for me, some had 3), it completely changed the way I look at life. Witnessing and partaking in the Balinese culture is a true learning experience that really expands your construct of reality. Now at home, almost a year later, everyday something reminds me of the time I spent in Bali, or the friends I made there. This trip is an experience that you will truly never forget.

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many students call a life-changing experience, not just a spring break