Global Routes High School Program in the Caribbean

Global Routes High School Program in the Caribbean

In the breath-taking setting of the Caribbean islands of Bequia and St. Vincent, Global Routes has been leading programs for over two decades. This program appeals to those wanting to discover, enhance and explore their leadership and teaching skills by running free 'friendship' camps for local children.

Get a taste of the 'real' Caribbean life by spending two weeks in rural St Vincent, snorkeling in the tropical waters, hiking a volcano, working side by side with Peace Corps volunteers on community service projects, master Caribbean cooking, and go sailing on the classic schooner, 'The Friendship Rose' between the majestic islands.

A summer with Global Routes like no other and expect to build relationships with your peers on the program and those you meet along the way that will last a lifetime. Starting and finishing at our home, Windsor Mountain International Summer Camp, experience a community like no other and one that you will call your second home for years to come

• summer camp
Airfare
Age Max
Application Fee
Deposit
Tuition includes all costs except flights, travel insurance, and personal spending money.
Bequia

Kyla
Brooklyn, New York

Absolutely Life Changing Experience

Despite having gone on this program 6 years ago, it's still something I think about all the time and rave about to friends and family. I had never really traveled abroad before, and if I had it was purely for tourism purposes. This program really pushed me to become a better leader and a better person. Not only did I make lifelong connections with the people in my group, but I got to experience a way of life I never could have imagined.

Running a day camp for the kids who lived on St Vincent and Bequia was not only incredibly fun, but also pushed me out of my comfort zone. Before the trip I was someone who was hesitant to take initiative or contribute to a group effort because I doubted my abilities. Being put in a position of responsibility really pushed me to grow into a more confident and adventurous individual.

Not only did we get to spend significant time with local residents, but we also were able to take part in their cultural scene. We had the opportunity to go to a local basketball game, attend our host family's church service on Sunday, and even got to be guests at a local family reunion. Feeling immersed in the culture of St Vincent and Bequia was an experience that's importance to me cannot be measured.

Additionally, we got to see all of the amazing BEAUTY the islands had to offer!! Hiking an active volcano, visiting a turtle sanctuary, and exploring the local businesses are just a few of the amazing opportunities we had! I would recommend this program to everyone, it is an experience I will hold very dear to me for the rest of my life.

The only improvement I could honestly recommend would be to make the program longer. I absolutely did not want to leave when the time came!!

Max
Providence, Rhode Island

Transformational, Unforgettable, and Unique Experience

Attending the 2005 Global Routes LIA Caribbean program has been one of the most impactful decisions in my life. I know that is a weighty and slightly dramatic statement, but it is the truth. As a current Global Routes travel leader, my experience as a student shapes the way I interact with my students, the communities we work in, and the world through which we travel. My leaders, Jim Whitmore and Lizzy Baker, did a spectacular job balancing the complex roles of Teacher, Mentor, Friend, and Role Model. They exposed me to hard skills like cooking for a group of 16, and soft skills, like how to resolve group issues respectfully and productively. They set a high bar for us in terms of individual responsibility and group cohesion, but provided us with all of the tools and support to soar over that bar.

The format and vision of the trip was particularly important to me. Our group had nearly a week of orientation is New Hampshire, where we camped together, cooked meals on coleman stoves together, and started planning out the structure and activities of the summer camp we were to run. By the time we arrived in St. Vincent, and finally to our new home on the island of Bequia, we already felt as if we were family. One of the most memorable moments from my trip wasn't as much a particular event, but a realization. I was walking to the vegetable market with two other members of my group. In that 15 minute walk we must have passed two dozen smiling faces, most of whose names we knew, and many who had attended our summer camp and came running to great us. The feeling of being grounded in that community, gladly welcomed with warm greetings and genuine interest, hit me like a soccer ball to the face. It gave me a blueprint for how to travel, how to forge real connections, and to try and make every interaction, no matter how brief, meaningful and positive.

Although I am sure my parents would have protested in 2005, looking back I do wish I could have spent more time in the Caribbean. A six week trip would have allowed for a full month of Friendship Camp (the free summer camp we offered to kids of all ages in Bequia), and even more time to get to know the unique way of life in St. Vincent.

Libby
Danbury, Connecticut

The best times of my life!!

When I think back on this trip, I don't just think about how cool it was to travel abroad—I think about the people I met, first and foremost. I was able to mingle and meet with people I normally wouldn't talk with, both within the group and in the local area. Though it's been years, the experiences have made such a bond that I still consider the friends I made on that trip something like family. The trip opened my eyes to see the fellow humanity in and find kinship with people across the globe.
Beyond the people met, the chances to learn leadership were fantastic. I learned leadership through collaboration, mistakes, healthy risks and different approaches. The leaders of the trip were encouraging and open-minded, and even when certain attempts at a task ended poorly, it never became a point of punishment. I learned how to lead and take command, something I had always shied away from in the past.
This trip changed me for the better. It taught me so much, all while being some of the most fun I've ever had.

Sometimes there becomes an "us and them" situation where some of the group members already know each other and, unwittingly, start excluding the complete newcomers. Anything that can bridge that gap faster and form one cohesive group would be very helpful.

Be more than a traveler with Global Routes.

Global Routes seeks to foster personal development in our students through cross-cultural experiences that encourage them to step outside of their boundaries and open their hearts and minds to new and diverse people, cultures and ideas. Service