YFU High School Study Abroad Program in China

YFU High School Study Abroad Program in China

Upon arrival, students complete an intensive 2-week Chinese language course then move on to their host family and begin taking classes at a local Chinese high school. Bond with your Chinese classmates and your host family, who will open up your understanding of daily life in China. In addition to increasing language fluency & studying academic subjects, you'll be exposed to Chinese culture and have the chance to explore the country. Part of your mid-year orientation includes a historical tour of your area, teaching you more about the place you've come to call your home away from home. YFU's program in China offers the opportunity to explore all elements of Chinese culture, from school life to local holidays.

A 4-week summer program is also available. Students stay in Beijing and spend mornings enjoying Chinese cultural classes including language instruction, art, martial arts, and sports. In the afternoons, enjoy free time or take part in activities organized by YFU China.

Asia » China
Chinese
Application Fee
Deposit
TUITION INCLUDES:

-Placement with a host family
-Enrollment in a local Chinese high school (excluding summer students)
-Airport transfers
-Domestic and international travel
-All pre-departure and post-arrival orientations and language camps
-Pre-program support by trained YFU staff
-Support from a YFU China area representative while on program
-Comprehensive insurance

Meredith
Hollywood, Maryland

6 Months Full of Learning and Teaching

During my time abroad through YFU, I worked as a student teacher at a bilingual school teaching Chinese 4-5 year-olds English. The teacher I shadowed was pregnant, so she couldn't do some of the more physical activities with the students. I took on many of those more physical tasks, such as leading the students through their morning dance routine.
Morning dance routine? Yes, morning dance routine. Every morning at 8 o'clock, myself and the other teacher would lead all 5 classes of 30 5-year-olds outside to do a routine that we all had memorized. I would bring the boombox and play the song as soon as all the students were assembled in orderly lines. We would do the choreography in front of the students to help them if they forgot, and made sure none of them were fooling around instead of doing the routine.
After multiple months of doing this with them every morning, the Chinese teachers delegated me as the teacher who would lead the students in the routine on the school open house day. I was terrified of forgetting the choreography or something silly happening, but I accepted the responsibility! I led all of the students onto the field, had them all line up into orderly lines, and then we began performing the dance routine in front of an audience of parents, faculty, and even the president of the school. Before we were done, the audience had multiplied because everyone was excited to see the foreign girl doing the dance routine. We finished the dance routine flawlessly, and I turned around to see a massive, wide-eyed audience of students, parents, and faculty clapping in amazement at the foreigner successfully directing the students in Mandarin to do their routine.
It was an unforgettable experience, and felt like an amazing accomplishment for both my language and cultural understanding of China. Thanks to YFU's support and arrangements they made for me, it all became possible.

It could be improved by greater communication with local representatives. My local representatives seemed to have little communication with YFU USA, and therefore, it was at times very hectic and confusing. My VISA had some issues, and it became difficult working with YFU USA and YFU China to solve my issues because of bad communication.

Maya
Silver Spring

Exploring the City

My favorite moments from my six months abroad in Beijing were exploring the city. Where I'm from, my independence is limited due to transportation, safety and many other factors. Being in Beijing completely changed my life. Many nights after class, a few friends and I would decide to go exploring through the city. In any other city this might be a challenge, but not in Beijing. Transportation was easy and cheap, my host family and I lived nearby, and as foreigners we were always completely safe. From station to station we rode the subway exploring each shop, taking notes, and buying little souvenirs. We saw many things being sold in markets and skyscrapers as far as the eye could see. We discovered places that were hidden and unique and tried new foods every night. While abroad I learned to be independent and brave. Never would I ever have imagined being able to explore a new city with only a few others in a country where I barely spoke the language. If it weren't for YFU, I would have never had these once in a life time opportunities and I will forever and eternally be grateful for them.

This program was extremely good at communication with their students; making sure they were happy and comfortable. Before leaving to go abroad, I had wanted to travel around China. However there were many rules and regulations to ensure student safety. If there was any way to make this process more simple, it would be very beneficial to students.

YFU participants gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Your experience abroad gives you leadership competencies necessary to meet today’s challenges and benefit from the opportunities of a fast-changing global community. YFU programming allows you to immerse yourself in