Travel For Teens: Tanzania

Elephant on Mikumi Safari
Elephant on Mikumi Safari
Lion on Mikumi Safari
Lion on Mikumi Safari

Embracing Tanzanian culture, witnessing African wildlife first-hand, and performing meaningful service to help local schoolgirls is what our time in this amazing country is all about. Build valuable connections with communities and experience the eclectic mix of cultures as you travel the Northern Circuit, meeting a variety of tribes and learning about their relationship to wild animals in this spectacular part of the country. Service, culture, incredible wild animal viewing, and adventure come together to create the quintessential Tanzanian summer!

Now Hiring: Travelers with Youth/Education Experience!

Are you passionate about inspiring youth? Do you believe experiential education is crucial to growth and development? TFT staff have the unique opportunity to work with teens in incredible countries all around the globe. Our staff have in-depth knowledge of the destinations we visit and are proven role models and leaders. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! Check out our site for more details and to submit your application today!

Madelyn

The trip that changed my life

I went to Tanzania for three weeks during the summer of 2018, from late June until early July. Going into this trip I was so excited to meet girls living at a boarding school and to work in an orphanage. I was excited to meet all the people that I would be staying with and going on safaris. What I wasn't expecting was to have my outlook on life changed forever.
When we landed in Dar es Salaam after two long flights, we were greeted with the most love and joy I have ever seen and felt. Everyone was smiling and waiting to help us in any way they could. I was so overwhelmed at how amazing these people were. After being greeted we began the drive to our first hotel. On the way, I saw the poverty throughout the capital, but what I also saw was smiles. Smiles everywhere. I saw mothers carrying their children along the streets, with no shoes on; but they were still smiling and talking happily to each other.
Not only did I see this is the capital, but I also saw this with the girls and the orphans. These girls had nothing but their uniforms and books, yet they were so happy. They always thanked us for any little thing we did. I will never forget one time a sweet girl about my age (16), cried out of happiness just from me sitting with her and making friendship bracelets. The little kids in the orphanage that had been living there since before they could remember were all joy. All they wanted to do was hold your hand and be next to you.
These things will always stay with me, not because I got to go to Africa, or see zebras and lions and giraffes up close, or meet some amazing people who I still keep in touch with today, but because I saw people who realized that life is not about what you have, it's about who is in your life and how you chose to live it.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was probably cow tongue
Sara

Life Changing Experience!

I went on the 21-day Tanzania service trip and it was life changing. Nothing can ever prepare you for the feeling you will get staring into the clearest sky and seeing millions of stars staring back at you. Being immersed in the culture of these inspiring people was such an eye-opener and really taught me to be grateful for what I have. We went on three safaris, visited an orphanage, spent a week at a girls school, and even took a cooking lesson! From the exotic animals in Serengeti National Park, to the beautiful, young girls at SEGA school, exploring Tanzania was a soul search I never knew I needed. I have changed for the better because of this experience. I personally guarantee your child will have an amazing time on this trip. I recommend it 100% for all ages and all personalities.

Sara

Tanzania with TFT

This trip was easily one of my favorite TFT trips I have ever been on. We had a fairly small group of girls on the trip, and we all became extremely close throughout our stay in Tanzania. The staff was wonderful as always, and my trip director did a wonderful job making sure we were enjoying our experience. I always felt safe with our local tour guides, and our lodging was fantastic as well. The itinerary was extremely fun. The safaris were indescribable, and the time at the SEGA school was incredibly rewarding. We really got to know the girls in our small groups, and learning Swahili and playing games with them was a great experience for everyone in the group. I would love to go back to Tanzania with TFT again and would highly recommend this trip to anyone!

Mixing up some of the safari days with hiking days towards the end of the trip would be nice, but other than that, it was perfect!

Location:
Julius Nyerere International
( DAR )
Kilimanjaro International
( JRO )

Tanzania can be an easy place to overlook when planning a trip to Africa, but it is teeming with wildlife, lush landscapes, culture. You will witness all of those from the wildebeest migrations, 3 of the 7 natural wonders, and Maasai people.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Travel For Teens

Travel For Teens is a program provider that believes that teen travel should be both enriching and fun. TFT offers a full range of travel experiences that teens can choose from to create their own ideal international experience. TFT's motto is...