Travel for Teens: Thailand

Travel for Teens: Thailand

Thailand is known as the land of a thousand smiles, and on any of our Thailand trips you will discover why! Our Thailand programs have been designed by our staff who have spent time both living and working in there and reflect the best that this amazing country has to offer. Whether you spend your time bathing elephants, jungle trekking, river rafting, visiting with hill tribes, or relaxing on stunning beaches, your Thailand experience with TFT is sure to be unique and unforgettable!

Adventure & Culture

Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia: Experience the best of Southeast Asia on this 17 day adventure to the sprawling cities and beautiful beaches of three uniquely different countries.

Southeast Asia for Older Teens: Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia: Join us for the ultimate Southeast Asia experience on this program made just for older teens! Venture off the beaten path and experience some of the region's best hidden gems four distinctly different countries.

Thailand for Older Teens: Fall in love with Thailand this summer on an amazing adventure just for older teens! Immerse yourself in this unique culture, its diverse wildlife, and some of the most breathtaking beaches you will ever see!

Service, Adventure & Culture

Thailand Adventure & Service: Experience the world's bluest waters, world-class diving, Buddhist monks, intricate temples, mouth-watering cuisine, elephant rescue projects, and the gentle smiles of the Thai people.

Thailand Elephant Service & Explorers: Volunteer at an elephant sanctuary and learn all about these beautiful animals while bathing, walking, and playing with your new pals. Experience the beauty of Northern Thailand during a rafting adventure down the Pai River and take a walk on the wild side in Mae Hong Son as you discover caves, waterfalls, and even a hill tribe village!

Thailand Elephant Service & the Islands: Add to your Elephant Explorers program with a week long extension to tropical paradises on some of Thailand's most pristine islands.

Asia » Thailand
Program Categories

HC
USA

Fantastic Experience

Traveling with TFT was an amazing experience. I felt I was able to become immersed in the local culture of Thailand. We took traditional Thai cooking classes, learned some of the Thai language an interacted with the people. Being able to work with the elephants was an eye opening experience. I loved learning about their day to day life at the reserve. After the service, traveling the country was very cool. We visited ornate temples full of history, explored the colorful markets of several cities, and enjoyed the quaint villages along the countryside. The islands were full of animal and human life and the water was a beautiful blue. I became very close with my counselors and the other teens on my trip and created memories I will be able to cherish forever.

I don't think the program needed much improvement.

Abby
DC

Khob Khun Ka TFT! (Thank you TFT!)

After traveling to Peru two summers ago, the Thailand Service and Adventure trip was a great way for me to experience another community that was different from my own. Every day was busy and exciting, and I was amazed by how much I was able to learn and absorb through the amazing itinerary! As I was doing this trip “alone,” I was very happy that I was able to quickly form close bonds with my fellow travelers and counselors, just as I had the year before! Each of us had come from somewhere different, but we all had a common desire to learn more about Thai culture. From building a dining hall for an orphanage to scuba diving in the islands, I’m so glad I was able to have so many different experiences during my three week adventure! No matter where I go next with TFT, I can’t wait to explore yet another culture and make more memories that will last me a lifetime!

Nataleena
Oregon

Thailand Elephant Adventure

This was my second TFT trip and I was definitely nervous that it wouldn’t match up to my amazing experience the year before, but it did and more.
We immersed ourselves in the culture constantly trying new foods, trying to communicate in Thai, and even sleeping in the jungle for the night.
We talked with monks and learned about the culture and their religion. Explored temples, shopped at Thai markets, and more.
Through this trip I also met one of my best friends and the experiences we went through together brought us so so close together that not even living in completely different time zones could tear us apart.
Not only will the experiences last me a lifetime, the friends will too.

Jenny
USA
Pennsylvania

Travel for Teens: Thailand Elephant Service and the Islands

I was really nervous about going on a trip with no one I knew. However, after calling the TFT office hundreds of times and speaking with all the staff, their reassurances finally convinced me to go on this trip. And let me tell you it was a life changing experience. Keith was an incredible counselor, always joking with us and teaching us Thai language he learned from living there for a few year. Mel was the other counselor and she is a professional photographer, taking breath-taking photos of us while we wash and rode elephants, scuba dived, and visited gorgeous temples. The itinerary is so much fun, but not jam-packed, so we could take our leisure time to take in everything. The food is so delicious and our counselors picked out some really great restaurants, one being a table right off the beach at sunset. The people on the trip were so friendly and became some of my close friends that I still talk to today, 2 years after I went on the trip.

Olivia
Minneapolis

Thailand Elephants and the Islands

From Chiang Mai to the islands of Thailand, I was never bored for a moment. I was able to bathe and play with elephants one day, then take a two-day rafting trip and sleep in bamboo huts by the Pai river the next day. I could not believe that we were able to work with retired elephants and help care for them. One of my favorite parts was going to all the temples and learning more about the Thai culture. I was also able to test my bartering skills (which I’ve found are not very good) in the markets while shopping for souvenirs. Next, we went to Ko Tao and Ko Samui and got a taste of the islands life. It was relaxing to do yoga, lip sync competitions, and swim in the Gulf of Thailand. Not to mention, scuba/snorkeling in the crystal-clear water, learning to cook traditional Thai food, and so much more. Our last stop in Thailand was the capital, Bangkok. I loved the city and all the sites. We went to the Grand Palace, the largest Buddha in Thailand, and got to see the famous Muy Thai fighting. I didn’t think that my second trip could live up the first trip I took with TFT but I was quickly proved wrong.

There could be more time spent with the elephants. Total time was only 3-4 days which was a bit disappointing given that it is listed as a service trip.

Annie
Glencoe IL

Best Summer Ever!

This was my second trip with TFT, and by far the coolest experience i've ever had! From hanging out with elephants to white water rafting, this trip pushed me out of my comfort zone and really helped me grow as a person. The elephant service days were my favorite. We got to bathe, feed, and play with the elephants. We also wore cool traditional mahoot outfits! As we moved to Pai and the islands, I fell more in love with the country and it's kind people. Walking through the markets and trying new foods are some of my favorite memories of the trip. And how could I forget the amazing people I was with throughout! I totally recommend this trip to anyone, it was my favorite one ever!

It's already great!

Ali
Stuart, Florida

Best. Experience. EVER!!!

My trip to Thailand with Travel for Teens was the best 3 weeks of my life. I was given the opportunity to intimately learn about elephants, experience true Thai culture with the natives, test my skills at not-so-white water rafting in the Pai River, observe the beautiful temples of Bangkok, adventure into the clear blue waters of Koh Tao, and relax on peaceful beaches and with wonderful Thai massages on Koh Samui. While the activities were incredible, what truly made my experience special were my wonderful trip director, fabulous counselors, and lifelong friends I met on the trip. Before the trip, I was extremely nervous to travel on my own for the first time at 15 years old. But as soon as I met the TFT crew at the airport, my nerves vanished and I knew I was going to have a blast. The counselors and trip directors respected us as friends rather than treating us like immature children. They constantly made sure we were safe while still having fun. My mom was especially grateful for the daily email updates from our trip leaders. The trip would not have been the same without our trip director Keith. Within the few weeks we were in Thailand, I became extremely close with Keith, along with all the other students. Everyone shared plenty of stories, which made us all both laugh and cry, and countless memories that will last me a lifetime. I would give anything to go back and relive my Thailand excursion so I could spend another 3 weeks growing as an individual, while spending plenty of time with the people that quickly became my second family. I truly believe this trip made me a bigger and better person with an increased awareness of the world around me.

honestly nothing

Sam
Phoenix, AZ
Grand Canyon University

Thailand 2015

Going to Thailand last summer was a pretty life changing event for me. I did both the Thailand Service & Adventure trip, and the extended 10 day elephant service portion, so I was in the country a little under a month. I've never had a more eye opening experience then when I was standing in the Maesa Elephant Camp. Getting so up close and personal with such amazing animals was fantastic. I also got the chance to both see some long distance friends again, and also make new friends along the way. Our tour director was amazing and his passion for the country only increases mine. The Thai culture is a special kind. Everywhere we went, faces were full of smiles and everyone seemed genuinely happy to be where they were.

Lily
Bethesda, Maryland

Great People, Great People

Loved Thailand with Travel for Teens. I met so many great people and had such an amazing adventure. The native people were very hospitable and friendly. It was such an amazing way to experience a new culture with new people. The staff on the trip were so awesome and supportive. It was such a cool place! The accommodations were great, some in the jungle were more rustic and the dorms were just great

Marla
Cooper City, Florida
University of Florida

Actually the trip of a lifetime

After one incredible summer with Travel for Teens in 2014, I knew I wanted to travel again this past summer with them. I had my doubts that any trip could live up to the first one, but TFT proved otherwise instantly. Our first night in Chiang Mai, we made wishes on floating lanterns and released them into the sky, setting the bar pretty high for the rest of the trip. But every single day was better than the one before. We volunteered at elephant sanctuaries, caring for the elderly and playing with the babies, then went on a two-day white water rafting trip down the Pai River, which brought a lot of us out of our comfort zone in the best way. I won't outline the whole itinerary, but I think that everything that we did taught me a little more about myself and about the world around me. And the best part was the bonds that I formed with the other students on the trip- we came in as perfect strangers, but walked away best friends. The entire group was able to connect with each other with not one person left out, which I think is really special. There is no sugar-coating and no exaggeration when I say that it was the best 17 days of my life.

The only thing I would change is the Bangkok heat, which TFT can't control!

Sophie
Clinton, New York

Best experience I have ever had!!

Hi! After spending hours with my best friend trying to find the place we wanted to go to, and the company we wanted to go with, we finally went with Travel for Teens: Thailand Service and Adventure. Going on the trip we were super nervous, but as soon as we all introduced ourselves, we became super close and comfortable. I honestly can say I have never had an experience like I did over the summer! Thailand was not only an amazing country in general, but TFT really helped make it both interesting and fun. I met so many amazing people and did SO MANY amazing things! Including building a school in the north for younger children, working at an elephant conservation camp, scuba diving in Ko Phi Phi (so beautiful!), kayaking and biking around rice fields at the foot of the himalayas, exploring magnificent castles and landmarks in Bangkok, and walking through Hellfire Pass in Kanchanaburi. These are only some of the AMAZING things we did on this trip. I can honestly say that i had never been happier than when I was when I was on this trip. Hopefully I will be able to go on another trip with TFT next summer, and make more amazing memories.

One of our tour guides at one point wasn't the best, and didn't speak much English, which wasn't that bad, but a lot of couldn't really get information about landmarks! But that was only for a few hours. The rest of the trip was FANTASTIC!

Shira
Potomac, Maryland
Miami University

Thailand Experience

Three summers ago I decided to spend three weeks traveling and working in a village in Thailand. During our time spent there, we worked hands on in constructing a school and providing day to day necessities for the village. The highlights and life changing moments, were the times spent with the children. Here is where I realized that laughter is a universal language. I had only learned a couple word in Thai, yet through smiles and giggles was able to fully communicate with the children. Leaving the village after the work was complete was the most bitter-sweet moments of my life. After building the school, our group had the opportunity to travel to Koh Pi Pi Island and Bangkok. Through our travels, we met the most incredible people and experience an amazing culture. This program inspired me to continue on with this company as a staff member, and study International Relations in college.

The trip was only three weeks and the time seemed to fly by. I loved my group and if it was up to me I would make the trip longer. That's how much I loved this experience.

Alena
Harrison, New York
Dickinson College

Thailand Community Service

We began the trip in Chaing Mai, where we completed some of the service and were taught basic Thai phrases. My favorite part of the trip was the Hill Tribe Village, where we got to stay with a host family and worked on building a school for the children. After this we transitioned into a more relaxing atmosphere by going to the islands. We ended the trip in Bangkok, where we got to see Thai boxing and travel around the city.

I personally did not enjoy Tiger Temple, which many students did not go to because it was during the optional excursion to Cambodia. It was raining all day and the tigers were chained, in order to let many people take photos with them.

Travel for Teens is a program provider that believes that teen travel should be both enriching and fun. TFT offers a full range of travel experiences that teens can choose from to create their own ideal international experience.

TFT's motto is "Teaching teens to be