Tanzania: African Cultures & Landscapes

Your experience begins in Tanzania’s capital, Dar es Salaam, where you explore the city on a bike tour with visits to markets, coffee brewers, and artists. Witness the country’s beauty, starting with a trip to Arusha for a safari to look for elephants, lions, giraffes, and hippos.

Learn about African culture while meeting with educators, artists, and musicians. Learn Swahili and practice with a host family. Participate in community service projects aimed at improving local livelihood.

Experience the differences between urban and rural Tanzania. During your homestay in the coastal city of Tanga, learn about the role of Islam in their culture and sail in a traditional boat. Next, a Maasai tribe will welcome you as you camp in mud huts. Take in views of Mount Kilimanjaro, then sit under the stars discussing issues that impact indigenous communities.

Spot more wildlife on a safari at the Ngorongoro Conservation Area where you can expect to see myriad wildlife.

• Safari
  • Outdoor Activity
  • Community Service
  • Camping
  • Homestay

jacqueline

The best time of my life

5 weeks in Tanzania. For some people that would have seemed like such a long time, yet for me. I was ready to spend the next 5 years there. From the safaris, to the beaches, the homestay, the Maasai, the mural, the songs, and the streets, to the love and community that I was revived with, I never expected it to be this amazing. I had read the itinerary a thousand times and yet everyday was a new adventure. Because no matter how much I read about it, actually experiencing it was 100x better.
The people that I traveled with and the people that I met while staying there became like family. They accepted me and treated me as their own.
I learned so much! I lived so much! And I am ready to go back, because that turned into my new home.

More free time
Dolly

Experience at Tanzania

Traveling to Tanzania was truly a memorable experience for me. The moment we arrived to Dar es Salaam I felt good about where I would be for the next days. The first week while we were there i can't express in words how much we were able to do. We went on a bike tour around the city where we visited different neighborhoods and got o learn about the people who live there. We went to Dar's beautiful beaches, we went to carving classes and learned about their detailed and hard work put into their art pieces. The food at each restaurant was so good, and taking Swahili classes really helped when we wanted to do some local shopping around the city. My home stay experience at Stahabu, a village near the coast of Tanzania was unspeakable. Spending time with my home stay family made me realize a lot of things about myself and my relationships with my own family back at home. Working with the children from the village for our community service project was o much fun, and a worthy experience to share a space with kids eager to learn. Working at a construction cite to help build a school made me realize the importance of having a space where everyone can have the opportunity to an education. When spending time with other members of the village and dancing along with them, I felt connected to their community and at home. In Arusha, I was surprised with how much history was behind the community center in which we stayed. I had the opportunity to paint a mural with other members of my group and I was amazed by how it turned out, we really went beyond our expectations. At the Massai, the complete different environment that i was exposed to caught my eye the moment we arrived. Meeting our mommas, dancing with them and beading them are of the many memories I will forever keep because of how kind and energetic they were. Learning about their daily lives, their chores, their traditions amazed me in so many ways because they lived such simple lived and yet they were so happy to share with one another without any problem. The safari in Kilimanjaro left me speechless, the view there was more than beautiful, the animals we got to see were very exciting and truly out there in their habitat, it was nice to be able to see them out in the wild instead of closed in in cages or glassed rooms. I fell in love with Tanzania as a whole. The landscapes were huge and different from another making each of them unique in their own ways. The sky was so clear sometimes, you could see so many stars and even shooting stars if you got lucky. The people were so warmhearted, full of energy and their happiness was easily contagious. Their culture was so interesting to learn about and to be a part of, I do hope and I know I will see myself going back in a few years.

By making it longer, the experiences are so fun and amazing that time goes by way too fast.
Maya

A summer beyond words

My time in Tanzania through the Experiment in International Living defied words, expectations, and explanations. This program was so well structured and planned. My only wish would be to have had more time. I thought it was perfect that we began in Dar Es Salaam and were slowly eased into Tanzanian life. We then had our homestay in the village of Stahabu, where I was stunned by the connections I was able to build with my family and other members of the village. The homestay experience is one that I believe could not be replicated outside of this program. It was unique and mind blowingly different, yet normal. This would be one of the main reasons I would recommend this program. We also stayed with two ex-Black Panthers, Pete and Charlotte O'Neal, at the United African Alliance Community Center. Exposure to this hub of art and music and creativity moved me deeply and created one of the periods of most creative inspiration that I have experienced in my life. This, along with our time staying with the indigenous Maasai people, are two experiences that I do not believe could be replicated outside of this program. I was extremely grateful to have this opportunity to spend time with a Maasai family and get to know them on such a personal level. I went into my time in Tanzania with no expectations because I knew I could not predict what incredible things I would experience. The trip was more than I could have ever imagined, and I am grateful to have had this unique opportunity.

jasmine

Never forgotten

The trip to Tanzania was an amazing experience that I will always remember. The trip gave me sight into my future career of becoming an international English teacher. The time I spent teaching the students at the schools inspired me and gave me the little push to see that this is what i truly love doing. I made many connections on the trip that I will never forget, and I even got offered a internship there which I will definitely take up on in the up in coming years after college.

N/A
monae

Go to Tanzania now!!!

I loved this whole trip and the people who experienced it with me. Everyone from my leaders, to my peers, and the people who were guiding us along the way. This trip was the best experience of my life so far. It was so beautiful and eyeopening.I bought back so much knowledge, built life-long bonds, faced fears, stepped out my comfort zone, and most of all had fun. I would definitely go back and do plan on going back and I hope next year’s group enjoys it as much as I did.

Christine

Full Immersion

My summer in Tanzania was truly amazing. To be quite honest, Tanzania was nothing like I imagined it to be. While all my friends were going to Spain, France, and other European countries to enhance their language skills, I was having the time of my life in Tanzania. It's definitely a different type of program. Not many people have the opportunity to travel to and experience life in an African country, and those who haven't will never be able to understand your experience completely. Tanzania is such a culturally rich place with their preservation of traditional tribes, captivating music industry, and beautiful art and carvings. The people are so welcoming and they have the kindest hearts. We took on everything one day at a time. Everything is "pole pole." I think that going on this trip before my senior year of high school really allowed me to reassess myself and my values. Overall, this trip taught me so much about myself and expanded my perspective on many issues. It's really the place to form a pure connection with the people and enjoy the beautiful nature and culture.

Laura

TANZANIA TANZANIA

My trip to Tanzania was unforgettable. I experienced many thing that I will remember for the rest of my life. I had many highlights throughout my trip but one of my favorite parts was staying with my home stay families. I love children and I got really close to my little sisters from the moment I met them. It was really hard to say goodbye to them. I'm thankful for my home stay families because they taught me a lot about there culture and traditions. I know I wouldn't have learned as much as what they have taught me, just by reading a textbook in a classroom. I got to experience there way of life and I stepped out of my comfort zone to do so. Another part I enjoyed from this trip was The safaris. I took many beautify pictures of the wild life animals. Spending a full day outside in the nature, looking at all the animals was just incredible. Overall my experience was amazing and I am so thankful to have been a part of the EIL 2017 Tanzania group.

Jonathan

An Unforgettable Experience

I'm not the most open person. I keep to myself. I'm not really a people person. I'm the quiet kid in the back of the classroom that has his head stuffed in books about animals around the world. But being a part of The Experiment opened my eyes in a way I thought I'd never be able to. I made new friends and met the most inspiring people in a place I never thought possible. I honestly chose this program because I wanted to see exotic African wild life. I did have that experience but the best part of The Experiment was getting unbelievably close to my group. Being able to open up and not just be some tourist but actually be welcomed into the homes and be part of the local community. They accepted us and included each and every one of us. We formed bonds that will be part of us for the rest of our lives. I'm so glad I didn't let my fear of the unknown hold me back. Because I in fact did have a lot fun and an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Elsa

Tanzania: Coastal and Maasai Cultures

This past summer I went on a five week trip to Tanzania with eleven other students I had never met before and it was an invaluable experience. This trip was focused on language and cultural discovery so we would have daily Swahili lessons and were always learning about the new areas we traveled to. As a group we really clicked right away, none of us knew each other before but when you are with new people in a new place it is very easy to relate and connect. Our two group leaders also really helped with bonding and debriefing after days filled with excitement, we would talk about questions we might have about this new place, or funny stories that happened from the day. Our group was filled of many different personalities but we were able to connect and relate. One of my favorite parts of the trip was the home stay, we got to stay in a small coastal village with a family, we ate meals together and would spend whole days without seeing the other group members. At first this was scary, having to be with a family that didn’t know English very well and I didn’t know their language very well wither but it ended up being the best and most memorable experience. We saw elephants, beautiful mountains, artwork, performances, this trip was just filled with so many learning experiences and amazing things. The Experiment really focuses on being students and not tourists and I really enjoyed that aspect, we weren’t standing on the sidelines observing, we were relating, getting involved, and asking questions about the real culture.

If anything maybe a little more information in the beginning of the process about how to obtain a visa, that was a little difficult to figure out but the organization was a big help when asked.

About The Experiment in International Living

The Experiment in International Living is the most experienced provider of summer abroad programs for high school students. For more than 85 years, our immersive programs have allowed participants to explore the world in an authentic and impactful...