Tanzania: Coastal and Maasai Cultures

By The Experiment in International Living   Reviews (2)   100% Rating

Travel from Dar es Salaam along the Tanzanian coast to Tanga, Arusha, and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, experiencing the diversity of Tanzania’s cultures, ethnic groups, and environments. Learn about Swahili culture and Tanzanian arts while meeting with educators, artists, and musicians. Learn Swahili through the program’s formal and informal language instruction, and practice your language skills with your host family and other Tanzanians you meet throughout the program. Together with your group, participate in a series of community-driven service projects, such as teaching English in a rural school or engaging in an ecosystem management project.

Orientation: Dar es Salaam, 4 days
Homestays: Swahili coastal community, 9 days; Maasai community, 10 days
Other Accommodations: Hotels, community center, camping

Africa » Tanzania
Program Categories
Hotel
5000.00
Cost Description
The Experiment is the leader in financial aid and scholarships, awarding $2.4 Million in 2016 alone. Program fee includes all accommodations in country, meals, activities, conferences, in-country travel, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.

Rating Values

Jonathan
Port Chester

An Unforgettable Experience

Overall

I'm not the most open person. I keep to myself. I'm not really a people person. I'm the quiet kid in the back of the classroom that has his head stuffed in books about animals around the world. But being a part of The Experiment opened my eyes in a way I thought I'd never be able to. I made new friends and met the most inspiring people in a place I never thought possible. I honestly chose this program because I wanted to see exotic African wild life. I did have that experience but the best part of The Experiment was getting unbelievably close to my group. Being able to open up and not just be some tourist but actually be welcomed into the homes and be part of the local community. They accepted us and included each and every one of us. We formed bonds that will be part of us for the rest of our lives. I'm so glad I didn't let my fear of the unknown hold me back. Because I in fact did have a lot fun and an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Elsa
Gorham

Tanzania: Coastal and Maasai Cultures

Overall

This past summer I went on a five week trip to Tanzania with eleven other students I had never met before and it was an invaluable experience. This trip was focused on language and cultural discovery so we would have daily Swahili lessons and were always learning about the new areas we traveled to. As a group we really clicked right away, none of us knew each other before but when you are with new people in a new place it is very easy to relate and connect. Our two group leaders also really helped with bonding and debriefing after days filled with excitement, we would talk about questions we might have about this new place, or funny stories that happened from the day. Our group was filled of many different personalities but we were able to connect and relate. One of my favorite parts of the trip was the home stay, we got to stay in a small coastal village with a family, we ate meals together and would spend whole days without seeing the other group members. At first this was scary, having to be with a family that didn’t know English very well and I didn’t know their language very well wither but it ended up being the best and most memorable experience. We saw elephants, beautiful mountains, artwork, performances, this trip was just filled with so many learning experiences and amazing things. The Experiment really focuses on being students and not tourists and I really enjoyed that aspect, we weren’t standing on the sidelines observing, we were relating, getting involved, and asking questions about the real culture.

If anything maybe a little more information in the beginning of the process about how to obtain a visa, that was a little difficult to figure out but the organization was a big help when asked.

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only with essential cultural and, in many cases, language skills, but also with a deeper awareness of and sensitivity to global issues shaping the diverse communities and regions we visit. Students explore the host country through hands-on experiences in local communities and through the lens of a specific theme.