Global Experiences Internships in Sydney, Australia

Global Experiences provides students the chance to immerse themselves in Australian culture, and gain valuable professional level experience in their field of interest. We work with you one-on-one to place you into a customized internship, where you will sharpen your transferable skills under the guidance of industry professionals.

The Sydney internship program includes: a guaranteed internship, a range of social events and excursions, housing, local staff support, and so much more!

• Personalized Attention: We work with you on a personal level to understand your career interests and internship goals. Starting from the first phone call to the end of your internship, we offer you individualized support to give you all the resources you
  • Centralized Housing: You'll be living in Sydney with other Global Experiences participants in a student-residence close to shopping, public transportation, and nightlife.
  • Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving in your professional documents, prepare you for an interview with a potential employer, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
  • Local Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinator lives in Sydney year-round and provide interns with an insider's glimpse of the Emerald City. The Location Coordinator is there to provide 24/7 emergency support and host all of the interns on a rang
  • Guaranteed Internship: That means not having to worry about your future plans for the summer, fall, or spring or the quality of the internship. With an internship with Global Experiences we will work on your behalf to find a high-quality internship that f
Oceania » Australia » Sydney
International Business
Tourism
Resume
Phone / Skype Interview
Program fee includes: Guaranteed internship, centralized housing, social events & excursions, visa assistance, personalized support before and during the internship program, career development, medical/travel insurance, and a mobile phone.

Stephanie
University of Connecticut

Great program that is totally worth the cost

Global Experiences did not fail to live up to my expectations. The housing was in a great location. Staff, especially our on site coordinator Kiri, was incredibly helpful when needed. Safety was always their number one priority and they made that clear from the beginning. The social events hosted by GE were a lot of fun and worth the trips.

At first I was a bit hesitant with my placement, but I went in with an open mind (as everyone should). After the first week I feel in love with my internship. My bosses were aware that I was planning on staying in Sydney for a couple more months and they ended up offering me a paid part time position which I gladly accepted. My internship has changed the way I view my life and has helped me develop both professionally and socially. I will be forever grateful that Global Experiences placed me with CLAN.

I came into the program with a one way ticket knowing that I would not be returning to the states immediately after my two months were up. That being said, Kiri (our onsite coordinator) was extremely helpful in steering me in the right direction in finding housing and jobs. After looking for housing in Sydney I was able to realize that the cost of the program was reasonable. Sydney is an incredibly expensive city to live in. The apartment Global Experiences placed us in was in a quiet and calm neighbourhood within walking distance to major bus stops, the light rail, supermarkets, and shops. I never felt unsafe walking alone, even at night. The apartment was a great size with a washer and dryer in the unit, making laundry day wicked convenient. I would say that the apartment was in a perfect location!

Overall, I would recommend Global Experiences to anyone and everyone looking for a unique international experience. It was an amazing opportunity and a great way to step out of your comfort zone. Some words of advice: Always remember to go into things with an open mind and view every opportunity as a chance to learn! I would recommend saving lots before coming here and make sure you convert cash before arriving (I found that they charge less in America)! Sydney is an expensive city (nightlife is wicked expensive as well).

Alyssa
Sydney
Rider University

Marine Science Intern

I had such a wonderful experience here in Australia! Being a marine science major and trying to start the next chapter of my life after graduation, I found that my placement was perfect for me. I worked with great people from all areas of the world and got to complete hands on tasks that gave me the experience I needed to decide my future. Not only was the placement a perfect fit, I was able to explore the city and other areas with my time off. Using Global Experiences allowed me to jump right into my work without the hassle of trying to find a place to live. My coordinator, Kiri, helped me with anything that I needed which led me to spending even more time in Australia after my internship was over.

Christie
Sydney, Australia
Clemson University

Best decision yet

Interning in Sydney was the best experience I've ever had. Global Experiences was extremely helpful in the time leading up to to leaving, during, and after my time abroad. This program allows you to be completely independent, while feeling supported during every step of the process. I felt fully immersed into the Australian culture, making both personal and professional relationships I will always cherish. Global Experiences placed me at an incredible company, which has already opened many doors for my career.

Matthew
Walnut Creek, CA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Lovely Company that Provides a Huge Potential for a Great Experience for All

I just recently finished my Fall internship in Australia through Global Experiences (GE), and overall I had a positive experience. I’m not sure if everyone that’s been through a GE program can consider their experience as life-changing, but I’m thankful that my personal experience was in fact life-changing, especially at a key point in my life. For me, I believe my experience was made life-changing because of factors ranging from the pre-departure professional development process and from the company that I interned for, both being provided by GE. I also felt like I needed a break from school. Let’s dive in.

The first thing I’d like to mention is the wonderful staff that GE has; I mostly interacted with Carlie Kidd, Brian Brinkman, Chrissie Friedrichsen, and Kiri Murphy, and I could tell that they helped me not just because it’s their job, but because they wanted to help me gain an amazing experience. They were all well-mannered to say the least, but they were also enthusiastic, responsive, and flexible. I initially signed up for the Shanghai Summer Program 2016, but I ended up wanting to change to the Fall Program, and then I wanted to switch from Shanghai to a different location (ending up in Sydney, AU). I was fortunate that they allowed me to switch so seamlessly.

Next, the pre-departure was pretty unique. While the pre-departure professional development process was filled with stuff that you could technically access and do on your own, it’s one of those things where there’s a slim chance that you would actually choose to do that stuff on your own (let alone, even hear about them) and you’re thankful that you did through GE once you understand and experience how it applies to your professional development. You have the opportunity to bring the valuable things that you learn from this pre-departure professional development process beyond your experience with GE, and you’ll most likely end up taking that opportunity. For your GE internship’s purpose, though, the pre-departure professional development process will make you very well-prepared.

One of my less positive experiences with my experience with GE was in terms of housing, and most of it was influenced by me. Because of my multiple switches mentioned at the end of the second paragraph of this review, I was late in entering the Sydney Fall 2016 program. The housing that was already chosen would only fit 4 guys, and the program had 5 guys including me, and being late to the program, I was chosen and accepted to be housed elsewhere from the people in my program. I ended up living in a single room at a college relatively nearby. Personally, I’m thankful that GE was still able to accommodate housing for me despite entering the program late. The single room allowed me to focus better, and it was definitely comfortable. The problem was that arguably a big part of the program is living with the other people in your program, and I was not able to do that. As someone who was initially hoping to be a more social person by building a relationship with peers inside my program, I was at a loss. The distance between my housing and their housing was far enough that, to me, it wasn’t worth taking the extra time to visit them and try and develop relationships with them. Instead, given my situation, I was comfortable just being by myself in a single room and directing my focus on doing exceptional work for my company. In many ways, but not completely, I was almost doing an individual program and not immersed in a group program. As a reminder to whomever is reading this, though, I did enter the program late, so I actually admired GE’s ability to think of an alternate housing solution for me in a short amount of time, and the housing itself was nice but I missed a lot of the valuable social element of my GE program experience.

So despite having a slight loss in terms of housing, I was able to make the most of my actual internship. I requested a General Business internship from GE, and I eventually interned as a Marketing and Research Intern. Not exactly what I requested and initially wanted. But instead, what I got was something better. One thing that I learned through this internship is that a title is just a title. Sure, Marketing and Research might sound a lot different than Accounting, Finance, Management, etc., but what’s more important than your designated title is what you actually do, and I did exactly what I was truly interested in while working for, and I almost can’t exaggerate this, an amazing group of people. I was able to prove my value in a business setting while working in an above-average work environment, and I really can’t be more thankful for the people I’ve met and worked with and some of the projects I’ve worked on. I’m glad that GE had this connection with the company I interned for, and decided to match me with this company. It was through this company that I took my first steps in a business setting, was able to prove to myself that I can work harder than I originally thought, and reconnected with what I actually want to do in my life.

In terms of the social events that were planned for our GE program, unfortunately I didn’t capitalize on going to every one of them. One of the events that I went to was pretty average, while the other few were good experiences. From my perspective as someone who was housed in a different location than my program members, these social events were the reason why I felt like I wasn’t completely in an individual program, and allowed me to connect to my program members to some extent.

My Tip/Suggestion:
The price of the experience was more on the expensive side, but I really can’t “complain” since I’m sure it takes a lot to give a lot. As someone who took a careful approach to my on-the-ground expenses during my program, I was a bit disheartened by the lack of travelling opportunities that I gave myself. I believe that, to get the most out of GE’s “experience abroad” side of the program, you need to be comfortable with not being frugal with your money while living in your destination or else you’ll miss out on a lot of great opportunities.

Summary of my GE experience:
The GE staff receives recognition from me for their wonderful personalities. The pre-departure coaching was exceptional and I highly recommend this process. My experience on the ground was positive overall; while my housing made it hard to get to know my program members, I was able to get to know most of them to some extent through the planned social events. My internship itself was life-changing through the people I met, the projects I completed, and joy I had going to work for my company every day.

In short, while I can’t comment on how the complete social experience is through GE, I can definitely say that my internship experience was life-changing.

Thank you, Global Experiences, and I hope future participants of your programs can enjoy their internship experience as much as or more than I experienced mine!

I know a few people from my program had some concerns about housing, but based on my personal experience, I don't have any ideas or suggestions on how the general program experience can be improved.

Kristina
Dallas, TX
Texas A&M University

Great Experience and Opportunity!

I did this internship back in 2009. I know there have been many changes within the last 7 years but even then I still found my Australia internship experience to be hassle-free, well organized, and more improtantly...fun! I enjoyed my work experience, the culture, and new friends I made abroad that I still keep in touch with today. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. It's an amazing opportunity most people only get a short window in their lives to experience. If you are on the fence, do it! I will remember it for the rest of my life.

I can't say as I'm sure everything has been improved upon within the last 7 years.

Breelieve
San Leandro, California

A once in a lifetime experience

I had one of the best times of my life. I made some really great friends and I even had the best internship possible. Although I had a tough time living and working with my roommate I did my best to make sure I had a good experience. I think it was a very unfair situation to have to work and live with someone. There is not any space and after a while there isn't anything to talk about. Other than this tough situation I had a great time. My internship was challenging and fun. I learned so much about myself and the entertainment world. It is so exciting to have a motivating boss who has so much experience to offer. I learned so much from him and I also met some great people along the way of my internship. Coming into this internship I quit my job and took a risk hoping that this experience would help me grow and gain a full time job when I do go home. I took a risk and I think it was the best risk I took. I made some amazing friends, I learned so much about myself and I feel even more exciting to see what my future holds. I am actually staying longer in Sydney to better my skills and to work closer along side my boss as I feel that he has been a great motivation in my life. I am very happy about my experience in Sydney. I feel like I am a much happier person and much stronger. I have gained confidence within myself and feel very eager and excited to get into the job world and see what I can offer it. I feel that my time in Sydney was so quick and I can't express how much I enjoyed my time everyday. As nervous as I was to come, and as hard as it was everyday to live and work with someone I am still very happy and proud of myself.

Save save save! It is tough to save and spend. Pick wisely and share food :) I wish I could have paid for my opal card ahead of time so I could spend more money on myself !

Halie
Duluth Minnesota

A bit overpriced, but overall a good experience!!

I learned a lot about myself and living in the "real world." I was forced to grow up and act like a responsible adult by having a real 8 hours a day 5 day a week job and living on my own. I learned a lot interning and the experience there was also very worthwhile.

I felt I paid a lot of money to get here and did not really see much of it. While I really did enjoy the social events, none of them actually cost that much and added up to much money so I am just confused to where all my money went.

I was expecting to meet more locals, which is partially my fault for not going out and purposely meeting locals. However, I wish I lived in a local housing arrangement, even a home stay would have been nice. I felt I wasn't as immersed into the culture because all the people I met from our house are international and don't know much about where they are either.

I felt we paid a lot of money and did not see most of the money.

I really wish my bus pass had been included in the cost.

Local housing arrangements rather than international housing.

Victoria
Sydney, Australia

Global Experiences Internships in Sydney, Australia

It is all what you make of it. It is your experience for you to make the most of. You have to be will to open up to feed back even if it is not something you want to hear, in the moment you have to be willing to take the feedback make it positive and have it there to help you grow.

Manuel
Los Angeles, California

Down with the Aussie's

Honestly such a great experience being abroad and having an internship in a foreign country. I was in for a surprise with the huge work load I had coming into my internship and not knowing a lot of the things I was doing on a daily basis. My director was able to find what I was good at and develop it through the course if 3 months being here. Although a big work load there was always a sense of positivity in the work place and out from my program coordinator. I made amazing friends and have amazing memories that I will carry on for the rest of my life. Difficulties I have encountered? Not many. One that in coming in really quick that I can't avoid, is FOMO (fear of missing out) but hey, looks like you're doing it right Australia! It is very difficult to put into words all the things i have learned and experienced on this trip, all I can say it that it was absolutely amazing and you need to get out there and experience it for yourself!

The housing was the only real downside for me. Not a deal breaker but there were a couple of things, such as everyone paying the same price for rooms and I ended up with the smallest room and the smallest fridge in my room that could barely fit anything. As much as that sucked, I am abroad and at the end of the day its not gonna ruin my day. I could deal with it, however I know there are people that find it more of a problem than I did.

Sumera
Japan
University of Toronto

Great Experience!

My two months as an intern in Sydney can be summarized as a great experience. The company I was placed with had great people that were interested in giving me as much work and provided me with as many learning opportunities as possible. In this, I thank Global Experience for placing me with this company. Of course, what follows are downsides that I felt throughout my overall wonderful experience. Each point is presented in order of relevance/importance:

1. Although I understand that our initial living accommodation was supposed to be a great or better place, 2013 Summer interns (myself included) were placed in Jack's place due to renovations being made in the initial lodgings. The living experience there was all in all, close to horrible. In the first week, the electric outlets didn't work and the internet had problems. For the entire two months of stay, one of the window of one of the Girl's shower rooms had a window lodged/stuck open. This was an issue because not one girl showered in this room because the window's direction is faced parallel to the window of one of the resident's room. In other words, using 2/3 shower rooms meant a morning rush where a floor predominantly filled with girls fought to use the two shower rooms (Of course, I and a few others showered at night). I also vividly recall of how messy 'we' as 'a group' were via neglected dishwashing, accumulating garbage, friday night indoor parties that left the public space in utter chaos. Not all of us (myself included) were involved in circulating mess but it doesn't help the fact that the majority was like this and therefore resulted in an unhealthy relationship with our landlord/supervisor and location coordinator. I feel conflicted between the shabby conditions of Jack's Place (as compared to how much we pay) and unhygienic or careless habits of many of my co-residents. I can't really point fingers but this greatly impacted my indoor lifestyle. Maybe I (we-Summer 2013 interns) were just unlucky with our residential placement but I sincerely hope that future interns did not get placed into Jack's Place or an alternative, similar accommodation. An important note: Jack's Place is situated in King's Cross--a party and 'red light district' hub--not such an appealing location. I know I had a location coordinator who had my back (which I thank for), but with the local station smacked in the center of the red light district area, everything seemed creepy and unsafe as soon as daylight descends. Even my company felt sorry that I had to live in Kings Cross for two months (note: I have zero affinity for the party scene).

2. Due to no.1, I couldn't help but feel that we were paying way too much for this experience. Furthermore, Sydney is indubitably an expensive city and this emphasizes the total money that was spent in one's Global Experience journey. There was a fellow GE intern who had his university or company sponsor the internship (so all accommodations were covered) and just having a fellow intern having a free ticket (which is amazing for him!) made me feel like I could have opted for an alternate, less pricey, internship path in Sydney. This makes me truly feel like it is wise choice to first choose a country, research companies (you wish to intern in), review visa application process, find a suitable lodging , plan places where you, yourself want to go to and then weigh the total cost of it--I feel like doing all this labor is much more cost-efficient (and worth every penny for me) than paying so much to get an experience you might not be too happy with in the end. This point pretty much summarizes why I do not recommend GE to others. This sentiment is better phrased as critically research and weigh your options first and then jump in the awesome experience that is Global Experience :)

3. This is minor but being new to Global Experience back then, I became paranoid when I did not receive updates on how things were going for my Sydney internship. Furthermore, my GE advisor changed twice which made me feel uneasy. All of this dissolved when I landed in Australia :)

I may seem overly critical and negative but I want to stress that I really did enjoy the company GE introduced me to--it was a wonderful memory filled with lessons and I thank them very much for it.

James
New York
Marist College

Tremendous experience

In Sydney we had a great experience. This was a tremendous growing opportunity both professionally and interpersonally as we were immersed in an environment with a multitude of different cultures. The internship was great to get hands on working experience but the program was more enjoyable because of the other interns I was able to share the summer with and also bonding with Australian colleagues at work.

Alexis
New York City
Lasell College

The best experience

I will never forgot my summer in Sydney! It was amazing. Global experiences did an amazing job finding the perfect internship for me. The accommodations were perfect and the group trips were great. I had the best time of my life that summer and that is why I teamed up with Global Experiences for a second time for an internship in Dublin. I recommend Global Experiences to everyone!

It would have been great if the program was longer. But, overall two months is a great amount of time as well.

Vanessa
Chester, United Kingdom
Lancaster University

No better way to spend three months

I didn't know quite what to expect when flying to the other side of the world to embark on a full time internship in a city I had never visited, however it was by far the best experience I have had so far. That may sound very cliched, however I genuinely did enjoy every moment of my Global Experiences internship. I had applied to the internship program back in December 2012 and considering I had simply typed into google 'internships in Australia' and GE was the first to come up there was some doubt in both mine and everyone's heads around me about how this would turn out. However from the outset the support I have received from the Global Experiences staff whether this was all the preparation prior to arriving in Sydney or on the ground making sure we were all doing well was next to nothing. I can't think of anything to really fault them on.

I felt well prepared arriving in Sydney in January with an internship at a legal organisation arranged for me. Although I come from a politics background I have always been interested by the legal system and even at one point considered going into law and although this internship made me realise that may not be the immediate path I want to go down I still gained a great amount of invaluable experience that I am thoroughly thankful for.

On a day-to-day basis I assisted the senior solicitors with some of their legal submissions and even had the opportunity to work closely with some of their clients. Aside from this I also did administrative work and reception cover. Although you may think that they are stereotypical intern tasks, it has given me the experience there that I can at least put down on my CV as a skill that I possess. Overall I learnt so much from my twelve weeks and also made a some great connections and friends within the company.

Of course my experience wasn't only moulded by internship but also the social aspect. I have made some great, life long friends through living with my fellow interns and as I always say you get free accommodation around the world. Having the opportunity to live alongside the other interns in the program was great and as we were all in the same boat we were able to help each other through any problems we had whether this was homesickness or simply trying to understand the Aussie lingo. Global Experiences also provided us with a number of activities that we did as a group organised by our location coordinator. These were executed well with the excursions showing us a great array of Australian culture and definitely being aimed at what our age group would be interested in. This included a paddle board lesson, a tour around the opera house, a trip to the blue mountains, the chance to meet koala's at the wildlife park and even a professional netball game. Having these activities allowed us to see around Sydney and do all the touristy type things but at the same time we weren't overrun by too many organised activities. There was definitely just the right amount so that we had our own time to just chill after a full working week or explore and hang out with friends. It was definitely a great balance.

I hope this has given you just a little bit of an insight into my amazing time in Sydney and honestly I would do it a hundred times over if I got the chance. If you are interested in doing an internship abroad I would say go for it and I would thoroughly recommend you considering to do it through GE.

The only thing I would recommend is that the option possibly be given that interns could do 4 days instead of 5. This was offered to some other interns that we were living with and at some times throughout the program some of us felt that this would be great just so we could have a bit more time to look around or go away for the weekend. Of course on the counter argument this does properly prepare you for full time work which doesn't offer that option most of the time!

Rachel
Greenwood, IN
Ball State University

Global Experiences - Make Them A Priority

I was looking into several different groups to take me overseas to an internship. Global Experiences stood out for a few different reasons.

First of all, someone was able to talk to me and give me real details about the program and what I would be doing before I even paid a cent. Other companies require you to put down a deposit before they can give you anything. In particular, Kevin Pickett was kind and understanding when it came to what I wanted to do.

After I secured an internship, Emily Oliver talked with me whenever I needed and went the extra mile when I needed help. She was always on Skype when I was and responded to emails within a few hours. I wouldn't have had any peace of mind if it wasn't for her.

All of this was even before I got to Australia. I have to say that my internship in video production has taught me more than any class at my university. Global Experiences hooked me up with an amazing company with an incredible boss where I got so much more than I thought possible. I can honestly say that I am prepared for a real job back in the states and I wouldn't be here if not for the amazing people at Global Experiences. Thank you!

If I had to change one thing it would be that GE should pay for a few more things in our program. Something like this isn't cheap and there were a few things that I didn't budget for. Transportation is up to you. While they help with options to get to work, you have to pay for the passes yourself. A little compensation would have been nice. Especially when we have to use our bus passes to get to things that GE has set up for us. It was just a little annoying.

Malissa
Casper, WY
University of Texas- Permian Basin

Sydney Events / PR Internship

I decided to use Global experiences to get real work experience while traveling to a new country. I found their pre-departure webinars helpful and was able to ask questions online and over the phone. While in Sydney I faced a lot of challenges in the internship (chiefly, the lack of organization and structure to the company and also their motives for hiring interns were obviously financially related) but the local representative, though new and inexperienced, did a fantastic job of being available and offered as much help as she could. She made me feel that my concerns were being expressed to the rest of the GE team which in turn helped me feel confident in the company. I found myself in a great learning experience and used it to work on my talents in organizing, planning, and strategic thinking to overcome negative situations.
The living situation is about what you'd expect from an international long-term hostel. And the social activities were good, when everyone could agree. But I highly recommend saving enough money to do more 'tourist' activities on your own, or with a few other interns.
Sydney is an expensive place to be and the GE program was quite expensive too, but I definitely feel that it was worth it.

I sincerely hope that the company I was placed with gets reviewed by more than one member of the GE team - I don't think they are providing interns with everything GE promises them. It's a revolving door of interns and fresh grads who don't really know what they're doing - thus no one is really there to teach you things. While I learned a lot, I feel like most of it was 'what not to do'.
Also, I'm not sure what the total budget was for our group, but it always felt like we just couldn't quite afford to do things that we initially planned to do.

Response from Global Experiences

Hey Malissa,
We're so glad to hear that despite the chaos in your company, you still enjoyed your internship in Sydney.
And I have been working on improving the organisation of the social calendar events/budget for the current and future groups. Things are much smoother and organised now, and hopefully it will continue to improve for future groups. I thank you for your patience while you were down here.

--- Manda

dhoch
Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

Sydney Internship

Although my internship technically wasn't in Sydney, I was still able to enjoy my experience to just about the fullest extent. Working in Manly did leave about an hour and a half trip to and from work, and those three hours every day would have been great in terms of more fully engaging with Glebe, where my accommodations were, and Sydney. There was still ample time to do so, particularly on every free weekend. Taking the ferry through Sydney harbor twice a day was also nothing to complain about, and working at a small company really allowed me to engage in real and meaningful projects to my employer.

The group activities within the budget were not managed efficiently. Either they should have been entirely up to individuals to decide either by majority or by splitting up, or scheduled in advance once given options that were rated preferentially. Input from so many people can be difficult to manage, especially when indecisiveness becomes a factor.

Response from Global Experiences

Hey Doug,
We're really pleased to hear that you enjoyed the meaningful work that you did with your placement company. I'm also glad to hear you found the silver lining in your daily trek to and from Manly.

Thank you for your comments on the social calendar events and budget. I have worked very hard on improving it for the current and future groups. Things are much more organised now, and hopefully the quality of the program will continue to improve as I gain more experience within my role as the Location Coordinator. I thank you very for your patience while you were Down Under, it was a pleasure to get to know you.

--- Manda

Jason
Texas

Working in Sydney

Overall I enjoyed my short time in Sydney. This was my first work experience opportunity and I did not know what to expect. The first couple of weeks of my internship were a little rocky until my manager and I sat down and talked. Once we matched goals and expectations, my worries went away and I started to look forward to working every day. By the end of my internship I realized how lucky I was to have such a great opportunity working in my field of study despite having no experience. I've learned that I'm more capable than I first thought and that I can succeed outside a classroom setting in the real world.

Living in Sydney was an incredible experience. 2 months was too short a time! There's just so much to do and the city is very easy to navigate. It's a great place for beginning travelers!

Unfortunately the accommodations I stayed in were not to the standard I had expected based on how much I paid to GE. I would not recommend Jack's Place based on the level of cleanliness, the poor condition of the building, and on how the House Manager treated us GE interns. At one point during my stay I overheard her say that the other interns and I were worse than animals.

Also I would have appreciated more extracurricular activities available to choose from. Compared to the GE program in London we did very little in our 8 weeks in Sydney.

Response from Global Experiences

Hi Jason, glad you had a good time this summer! Goals and expectations between employer and intern are hugely important. As for housing, we're moving up and out to newly renovated housing elsewhere based on the feedback. We want you guys having the best experience possible, both at work and at home!

Keep in touch - Bali

Jrummy
Tucson, Arizona
University of Arizona

Don't miss out!

The primary thing that I loved about GE's placement for me in Sydney, was that the staff really spent a lot of time trying to find some position that fit along with my career goals. There are some interns who were a bit unhappy with their placements but that is solely because the companies themselves failed to live up to what they had promised the interns. GE worked very hard and succeeded in making this experience phenomenal.

For reference, I worked with a company called 33 Talent that revolves around the recruiting industry. I worked with PR, webpage displays, and marketing strategies...all of which I hadn't really experienced before. For the most part, the employers in Sydney are great because they give you opportunities to participate in things you haven't experienced yet, and then go for it. I loved all of this for that reason.

If you combine this with the fun extra curricular activities like a bus tour to the Blue Mountains, a day at an Australian Football League game, and the Sydney Opera House tour, it's great.

The one thing to change with the Sydney program is to have a more responsive input into what our "extra curricular budget" goes towards. In addition, the housing needs to be changed, Jack's Place isn't the best of places. However, we only stayed in Jack's due to our other accommodations being renovated. Just bad timing on my part.

Response from Global Experiences

Hey JRummy! We're glad you had a great time! We take great pride behind the scenes matching you up with the best possible employer, after we get to know you, and we're glad we were successful. Be sure to hop onto the alumni LinkedIn page to connect with fell alum and get continued career development. We will be getting more input from the interns on their social event preferences.

As for housing, fortunately we're moving to newly renovated housing for the upcoming groups, so the facilities will be much nicer moving forward. Keep in touch!

- The GE Team

Jessica
Maryland, USA
University of South Carolina

A truly wholesome experience!

I wouldn't have been able to take this opportunity and overcome personal challenges before-hand without the support of the GE team. Once I arrived at my location abroad, I had an amazing time. My internship exposed me to many different aspects in my field. The accommodation was comfortable and modern and the staff was very responsive if something, like an appliance, needed to be fixed. I made amazing friends and I was able to experience a rich culture. Our location rep helped us to explore the city by taking us on really enjoyable day trips. I came away feeling empowered and I learned so much. I now feel in not only a much better position professionally, but also personally as I grew so much through this experience.

Response from Global Experiences

Hi Jess! We're so glad you had a great time. Going abroad for the first time can be an intimidating experience, but it sounds like you've come back a totally different person. Keep in touch and be sure to join the Global Experiences LinkedIn alumni group. We look forward to hearing all about the school year coming up!

- Global Experiences

James
San Diego/Syracuse/Poughkeepsie
Marist College

Great overall experience. Can't speak enough about it. Learned a great deal, met some great people and experienced a great culture.

The weekdays revolved around work. I felt like I got an idea of what big city living is about. The weekends were spent exploring Sydney and seeing what it had to offer.

Great program!

The only thing I thought that could have been improved was Jack's Place. Poor management and inconsistent rules as well as poor cleaning standards. That is obviously not directly handled by GE, so I understand.

Catrina
Denver, Colorado
Metropolitan State University of Denver

Global

My experience with Global was wonderful! Bali was very helpful and very supportive! And he put up with a lot of unneeded situations and went beyond the call of help! I highly recommend not placing anyone at the company I was placed with again. They are a terrible company and I went into work everyday basically doing nothing and learning nothing! I think I might of talked to my supervisor a total of 5 times the whole summer. It's not an internship it's a secretary job, and for the amount we pay I was expecting to have the experience everyone else from GE Sydney walked out with. Other than that everything was wonderful. Location was perfect and so was everything else.

Better GE activities. The Sydney activities sure seemed to not compare with how amazing the London GE activities were.

Rebecca
Canada
University of Ontario Institute of Technology

Rebecca Veenstra

I am so glad I decided to do an internship through a program instead of finding everything on my own. Though it seems expensive, you have to keep in mind how expensive things Sydney cost. GE gives you the opportunity to get to know people in the program from all over the world and share in this experience with them.

GE staff are very helpful in the preparations for the trip and were always there to answer questions and give advice.

One thing I would suggest for future programs is to give options for the social events. Not everyone would be interested in the same activities but in some ways would feel obligated to participate because the events were already paid for.

Hayley
Bloomington, IN
Indiana University- Bloomington

Time of My Life!

I can not say enough good things about my experience in Sydney. I participated in the internship program in the summer of 2011, between my Sophomore and Junior year at IU. After completing a phone interview and preparing a mock public relations campaign, I was placed with a PR firm in Surry Hills. I was nervous about the position, because the firm was so small, but I soon found out that its' size was in no way indicative of what they were capable of. My coworkers were so fun and comfortable to be around, and they made me feel that my input was not only welcome, but really valued. I learned so much about how the PR industry works, and often draw from that experience with my schoolwork and in my career search.

Another aspect I really liked about this program was the size of it. It was a smaller program (I think about 30 kids?), so we were able to get to know everyone on some level, and everyone got along really well. It was big enough, however, that it included people from all over the world, with all different types of interests.

I really wish I had stayed longer, and traveled more while I was there. Also (and this is really more of a reflection on the city, not the program), everything is expensive. I mean everything. Don't plan on doing a ton of shopping, bring all your toiletries, and learn how to cook for yourself.

Ian
Burlington VT
University of Vermont

Amazing experience!

I enrolled in this program for summer 2012 and had the most incredible experience. The communication was great and received my placement shortly after being accepted into the program. The accommodation was in a nice area and support staff helped me out whenever I needed anything. I really enjoyed my job and gained a lot of real world experience in the marketing field. I highly recommend this program for a truly life changing experience, plus it's a good resume booster.

Global Experiences believes that everyone deserves a career they love, and their mission is to help young people find their paths sooner in life. Global Experiences internship programs open doors for young people to enrich their lives personally and enhance their futures professionally. Along with