Global Experiences Internships in Sydney, Australia

Sydney is a city with everything you could want in an international internship. The city is nestled up against the beautiful Australian coastline and offers a wide range of internships. An international internship in nearly every career field can be found in Sydney. With its scenic coast and wide range of options Sydney is the perfect place for you to intern abroad.

As an intern, you’ll have the chance to immerse yourself in your chosen career field all while living in one of the most beautiful cities on earth. We do our best to tailor your internship to match your background and future goals. We’ll support you ever step of the way to make sure your Sydney internship is an experience you’ll never forget.

Student and young professionals from Canada or the U.S, this is the internship program for you! Please note, there is a tuition fee. All internships are unpaid as it is difficult to be paid in a foreign country.

• Guaranteed Internship: As part of the Global Experiences' program you are guaranteed an internship in your host city. We do our best to tailor your internship to match your background and future goals.
  • Personalized Attention: We want this experience to be as fulfilling as possible. From the first phone call, we support you and give you all the resources you need to make sure your internship is a success.
  • Centralized Housing: You’ll be living in accommodations centrally located in Sydney with other Global Experiences' interns. Your housing will have access to public transportation, ensuring it is easy to get to and from your internship.
  • Professional Development: Through one-on-one coaching and webinars, we assist you in improving your professional documents, prepare you for an interview with potential employers, establish internship goals, and discuss your strengths.
  • Local Staff and Social Events: Our Location Coordinator lives in Sydney year-round and provides interns with an insider's glimpse of the city. The LC is there to provide 24/7 emergency support and takes all the interns on a range of social events.

Kurt

Great experience

While preparing to get ready for this study abroad everyone through Global Experience was super helpful. The portal they set up for each intern can easily answer all questions but if you wanted to get into more detail they we were eager to help. Adjusting to the new life style can be challenging for some and our director did a great job of making sure everyone was comfortable and enjoying their time living in Sydney. She would always post upcoming events happening in the week and that was super helpful to stay busy. If you looked to go outside the city the staff would help point you in the right direction. I was fortunate to get landed in a perfect job because my boss understood I was here to learn but I was also here to explore Australia. Being able to travel and get days off made a huge difference; my work made sure I got the full experience while I was here in Australia. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend to anyone.

We had a lot of problems with our housing. My apartment ended up flooding because of the shower and I know the people in the other apartment had a lot of problems with stuff being broken or just not working.
Tallie

Incredible Experience

This was an incredible experience. Not only was the internship itself amazing, but the excursions and location were amazing too. Andrea, our location coordinator/program advisor, was so helpful and supportive. She never hesitated to go out of her way to help us, and when I had issues with my internship she handled it immediately and helped make my experience even better. I ultimately ended up learning so much more from my internship because of her. That is one of the biggest benefits of doing an internship abroad program like GE, having the support and advice of an advisor (as well as a guaranteed internship and housing). It made all the difference having that outside support, more than I ever counted on. It was nice having so many excursions through the semester as well, it made it feel a little bit like studying abroad again (which I loved). Sydney itself is an amazing city and was so fun to explore and go out with the friends here. All of my roommates and I got along really well and we're all traveling together for a couple months after this trip, which is just another unexpected benefit. Australia is a great country with such friendly people, and its so close to so many other really cool countries to explore after. My internship was amazing, I really learned so much about the industry and ended up with a huge portfolio project which is exactly what I wanted to get out of this internship. I only wish I could do another internship abroad after this!

My only drawback was the housing: the wifi was beyond unreliable and it took a long time for things to get fixed, though that has more to do with the housing company. However, we gave all that feedback to GE and they are aiming to improve it with the housing company.
Mallory

Sydney Internship

The internship is a great experience because it really got me out of my comfort zone. It was the first time going out of the country, so first time going to Sydney, and first time doing an internship. I didn't know what to expect so I kept an open mind and went for it. Through this process I have met some great people, lifelong friends, and people like Andrea, the program advisor, who is there to help and support you along the way. Sydney is a safe country and through the internship there are fun excursions to see more of the city and bond with all the other interns in the program. I have done some amazing traveling through this trip and have seen, done, and learned so much with my time here. My advice is to make the most of it because what you put into it is what you get out of it so enjoy the journey. I am very grateful I got to intern abroad and Global Experiences for making this happen for me.

The housing wasn't great because they took awhile to get back to our needs but GE listened to what we needed and will be making improvements for the future.
Lizzie

Sydney Australia Global Experiences

My experience during the fall semester in Sydney was one of a kind. My placement at the Ensemble Theatre company was an absolute dream and I could not have asked for a more positive and fun work experience! My coworkers were incredibly warm and welcoming and I truly felt like I had joined a family. They even invited me to their Christmas dinner! GE provides an experience that offers equal parts of self growth while also providing a support system for when being in a new country gets to daunting. Our advisor Andrea was an absolute dream and constantly went out of her way to make sure we were having the best experience possible. She even stored my suitcase for me once the program ended! The social outings were a ton of fun and provided a great setting for seeing different parts of this huge city (My favourite had to be the hunter valley wine tours!). On top of the incredible sites, amazing eclectic food and overall relaxed vibe, Australians are super friendly by nature so this is definitely the city to hit. Overall I really don't think I could have asked for a better experience. I absolutely love Sydney and have met some phenomenal people (a few of us are travelling asia together!). I gained a ton of work experience and I am leaving here with a new outlook on my future.

The housing situation was not the best (eg. appliances were always breaking and it was hard to get anyone to come fix it.) But GE has taken our feedback very seriously and are looking to improve upon it for the next group!
Abby

Time of my life in Sydney

I had the best Summer ever interning abroad in Sydney! I absolutely loved my internship, met so many amazing people, and learned so much! The group I met abroad were an amazing and fun group of people. We had a blast at our excursions, and got to do some amazing traveling while in Australia! For being on the other side of the world, it really isn't so different from the US so I never experienced any culture shock along the way. Over all I had a 10/10 unforgettable experience making life-long friends and connections while also feeling much more prepared for my career. What are you waiting for - apply now!

Christina

Come to AUS

Loved the culture here, learned so much from my internship, met so many good friends and decide to stay longer. I was really pushed out of my comfort zone and was forced to meet a lot of new people. I have gone to a lot of amazing events around sudney for my internship and had great support from the GE staff. I would recommend this program to anyone especially if you are trying to gain real working experience. It was truly a unique experience.

Better response by furnished properties they take a while to get back to you on things you need fixed.
Kristin

Worth every penny

Traveling half way around the world to Australia by myself was scary and exciting all at the same time. I could not have picked a better location let alone trip to do for my internship. I had little expectations coming into my internship because it was mainly focusing on my minor (marketing) and not my major (exercise science). I discussed this with the coordinator, Andrea, and she gave me so great advice. My boss for the internship was also very supportive and very willing to let me do what I needed to do. We communicated very well and in the end this internship exceeded my expectations. I was able to complete the exercise science portion while learning about marketing. Give your internship a chance, communicate with everyone and live it up because Australia is incredible, my favorite country I have lived in. Say yes to everything because it is a once in a life time experience, save save save (very expensive here) and figure out public transportation right away because Uber's are insane and they really add up. I love Sydney and I cant wait to come back and visit. Global experiences made this happen and I am very grateful! I learned alot not only about exercise science and marketing but about myself too and who I want to be as a person.

A faster response from furnished properties when issues arise in the apartment. Other than that the program was great! Exceeded my expectations
Cam

Successful Internship 2018

I did an internship in Sydney. This was my first internship I've ever done I chose to do an internship in the finance field. Going into this internship i had no expectations because i wanted to gain experience and bring it back home hoping to find a career in the finance sector. This internship was better than i expected. Work was fun, Housing was close to public transport and close to the city, program advisor was very helpful and checked up on you to make sure everything was alright. Overall, this internship blew my mind and would recommend this to anyone in school or even looking to gain experience in a field they are interested in.

Julia

COME TO SYDNEY!!

Global Experiences is absolutely amazing and I am so grateful I had the opportunity to come to Sydney. I have traveled a lot with my family and visited dozens of cities, but I have never loved a place as such as I love Sydney. I felt comfortable from the moment I arrived and Andrea (our program director) was so welcoming and she became like my overseas "mom." I am only 19 years old and am taking a gap year before college, so I applied for a Global Experience internship to gain a sense of independence and have a better understanding of what it is like to live without my parents and attend a job each day. I was paired with a fantastic internship and I really learned what it was like to be a part of the "working world" rather than just attend classes at school. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had with Global and I came home with a much greater understanding of who I am as a person and felt that I really grew from this experience. The housing was safe and we had our own kitchen / washer & dryer which was great. I loved my roommates and I know we will keep in touch even when we are all back in the U.S.

No complaints :)
Stephanie

Great program that is totally worth the cost

Global Experiences did not fail to live up to my expectations. The housing was in a great location. Staff, especially our on site coordinator Kiri, was incredibly helpful when needed. Safety was always their number one priority and they made that clear from the beginning. The social events hosted by GE were a lot of fun and worth the trips.

At first I was a bit hesitant with my placement, but I went in with an open mind (as everyone should). After the first week I feel in love with my internship. My bosses were aware that I was planning on staying in Sydney for a couple more months and they ended up offering me a paid part time position which I gladly accepted. My internship has changed the way I view my life and has helped me develop both professionally and socially. I will be forever grateful that Global Experiences placed me with CLAN.

I came into the program with a one way ticket knowing that I would not be returning to the states immediately after my two months were up. That being said, Kiri (our onsite coordinator) was extremely helpful in steering me in the right direction in finding housing and jobs. After looking for housing in Sydney I was able to realize that the cost of the program was reasonable. Sydney is an incredibly expensive city to live in. The apartment Global Experiences placed us in was in a quiet and calm neighbourhood within walking distance to major bus stops, the light rail, supermarkets, and shops. I never felt unsafe walking alone, even at night. The apartment was a great size with a washer and dryer in the unit, making laundry day wicked convenient. I would say that the apartment was in a perfect location!

Overall, I would recommend Global Experiences to anyone and everyone looking for a unique international experience. It was an amazing opportunity and a great way to step out of your comfort zone. Some words of advice: Always remember to go into things with an open mind and view every opportunity as a chance to learn! I would recommend saving lots before coming here and make sure you convert cash before arriving (I found that they charge less in America)! Sydney is an expensive city (nightlife is wicked expensive as well).

Alyssa

Marine Science Intern

I had such a wonderful experience here in Australia! Being a marine science major and trying to start the next chapter of my life after graduation, I found that my placement was perfect for me. I worked with great people from all areas of the world and got to complete hands on tasks that gave me the experience I needed to decide my future. Not only was the placement a perfect fit, I was able to explore the city and other areas with my time off. Using Global Experiences allowed me to jump right into my work without the hassle of trying to find a place to live. My coordinator, Kiri, helped me with anything that I needed which led me to spending even more time in Australia after my internship was over.

Christie

Best decision yet

Interning in Sydney was the best experience I've ever had. Global Experiences was extremely helpful in the time leading up to to leaving, during, and after my time abroad. This program allows you to be completely independent, while feeling supported during every step of the process. I felt fully immersed into the Australian culture, making both personal and professional relationships I will always cherish. Global Experiences placed me at an incredible company, which has already opened many doors for my career.

Matthew

Lovely Company that Provides a Huge Potential for a Great Experience for All

I just recently finished my Fall internship in Australia through Global Experiences (GE), and overall I had a positive experience. I’m not sure if everyone that’s been through a GE program can consider their experience as life-changing, but I’m thankful that my personal experience was in fact life-changing, especially at a key point in my life. For me, I believe my experience was made life-changing because of factors ranging from the pre-departure professional development process and from the company that I interned for, both being provided by GE. I also felt like I needed a break from school. Let’s dive in.

The first thing I’d like to mention is the wonderful staff that GE has; I mostly interacted with Carlie Kidd, Brian Brinkman, Chrissie Friedrichsen, and Kiri Murphy, and I could tell that they helped me not just because it’s their job, but because they wanted to help me gain an amazing experience. They were all well-mannered to say the least, but they were also enthusiastic, responsive, and flexible. I initially signed up for the Shanghai Summer Program 2016, but I ended up wanting to change to the Fall Program, and then I wanted to switch from Shanghai to a different location (ending up in Sydney, AU). I was fortunate that they allowed me to switch so seamlessly.

Next, the pre-departure was pretty unique. While the pre-departure professional development process was filled with stuff that you could technically access and do on your own, it’s one of those things where there’s a slim chance that you would actually choose to do that stuff on your own (let alone, even hear about them) and you’re thankful that you did through GE once you understand and experience how it applies to your professional development. You have the opportunity to bring the valuable things that you learn from this pre-departure professional development process beyond your experience with GE, and you’ll most likely end up taking that opportunity. For your GE internship’s purpose, though, the pre-departure professional development process will make you very well-prepared.

One of my less positive experiences with my experience with GE was in terms of housing, and most of it was influenced by me. Because of my multiple switches mentioned at the end of the second paragraph of this review, I was late in entering the Sydney Fall 2016 program. The housing that was already chosen would only fit 4 guys, and the program had 5 guys including me, and being late to the program, I was chosen and accepted to be housed elsewhere from the people in my program. I ended up living in a single room at a college relatively nearby. Personally, I’m thankful that GE was still able to accommodate housing for me despite entering the program late. The single room allowed me to focus better, and it was definitely comfortable. The problem was that arguably a big part of the program is living with the other people in your program, and I was not able to do that. As someone who was initially hoping to be a more social person by building a relationship with peers inside my program, I was at a loss. The distance between my housing and their housing was far enough that, to me, it wasn’t worth taking the extra time to visit them and try and develop relationships with them. Instead, given my situation, I was comfortable just being by myself in a single room and directing my focus on doing exceptional work for my company. In many ways, but not completely, I was almost doing an individual program and not immersed in a group program. As a reminder to whomever is reading this, though, I did enter the program late, so I actually admired GE’s ability to think of an alternate housing solution for me in a short amount of time, and the housing itself was nice but I missed a lot of the valuable social element of my GE program experience.

So despite having a slight loss in terms of housing, I was able to make the most of my actual internship. I requested a General Business internship from GE, and I eventually interned as a Marketing and Research Intern. Not exactly what I requested and initially wanted. But instead, what I got was something better. One thing that I learned through this internship is that a title is just a title. Sure, Marketing and Research might sound a lot different than Accounting, Finance, Management, etc., but what’s more important than your designated title is what you actually do, and I did exactly what I was truly interested in while working for, and I almost can’t exaggerate this, an amazing group of people. I was able to prove my value in a business setting while working in an above-average work environment, and I really can’t be more thankful for the people I’ve met and worked with and some of the projects I’ve worked on. I’m glad that GE had this connection with the company I interned for, and decided to match me with this company. It was through this company that I took my first steps in a business setting, was able to prove to myself that I can work harder than I originally thought, and reconnected with what I actually want to do in my life.

In terms of the social events that were planned for our GE program, unfortunately I didn’t capitalize on going to every one of them. One of the events that I went to was pretty average, while the other few were good experiences. From my perspective as someone who was housed in a different location than my program members, these social events were the reason why I felt like I wasn’t completely in an individual program, and allowed me to connect to my program members to some extent.

My Tip/Suggestion:
The price of the experience was more on the expensive side, but I really can’t “complain” since I’m sure it takes a lot to give a lot. As someone who took a careful approach to my on-the-ground expenses during my program, I was a bit disheartened by the lack of travelling opportunities that I gave myself. I believe that, to get the most out of GE’s “experience abroad” side of the program, you need to be comfortable with not being frugal with your money while living in your destination or else you’ll miss out on a lot of great opportunities.

Summary of my GE experience:
The GE staff receives recognition from me for their wonderful personalities. The pre-departure coaching was exceptional and I highly recommend this process. My experience on the ground was positive overall; while my housing made it hard to get to know my program members, I was able to get to know most of them to some extent through the planned social events. My internship itself was life-changing through the people I met, the projects I completed, and joy I had going to work for my company every day.

In short, while I can’t comment on how the complete social experience is through GE, I can definitely say that my internship experience was life-changing.

Thank you, Global Experiences, and I hope future participants of your programs can enjoy their internship experience as much as or more than I experienced mine!

I know a few people from my program had some concerns about housing, but based on my personal experience, I don't have any ideas or suggestions on how the general program experience can be improved.
Kristina

Great Experience and Opportunity!

I did this internship back in 2009. I know there have been many changes within the last 7 years but even then I still found my Australia internship experience to be hassle-free, well organized, and more improtantly...fun! I enjoyed my work experience, the culture, and new friends I made abroad that I still keep in touch with today. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. It's an amazing opportunity most people only get a short window in their lives to experience. If you are on the fence, do it! I will remember it for the rest of my life.

I can't say as I'm sure everything has been improved upon within the last 7 years.
Breelieve

A once in a lifetime experience

I had one of the best times of my life. I made some really great friends and I even had the best internship possible. Although I had a tough time living and working with my roommate I did my best to make sure I had a good experience. I think it was a very unfair situation to have to work and live with someone. There is not any space and after a while there isn't anything to talk about. Other than this tough situation I had a great time. My internship was challenging and fun. I learned so much about myself and the entertainment world. It is so exciting to have a motivating boss who has so much experience to offer. I learned so much from him and I also met some great people along the way of my internship. Coming into this internship I quit my job and took a risk hoping that this experience would help me grow and gain a full time job when I do go home. I took a risk and I think it was the best risk I took. I made some amazing friends, I learned so much about myself and I feel even more exciting to see what my future holds. I am actually staying longer in Sydney to better my skills and to work closer along side my boss as I feel that he has been a great motivation in my life. I am very happy about my experience in Sydney. I feel like I am a much happier person and much stronger. I have gained confidence within myself and feel very eager and excited to get into the job world and see what I can offer it. I feel that my time in Sydney was so quick and I can't express how much I enjoyed my time everyday. As nervous as I was to come, and as hard as it was everyday to live and work with someone I am still very happy and proud of myself.

Save save save! It is tough to save and spend. Pick wisely and share food :) I wish I could have paid for my opal card ahead of time so I could spend more money on myself !

About Global Experiences

Global Experiences believes that everyone deserves a career they love, and their mission is to help young people find their paths sooner in life. Global Experiences internship programs open doors for young people to enrich their lives personally and...