IES Internships Vienna

As an IES intern, you’ll enjoy the history, rich culture, and professional opportunities that the political and economic capital of Austria has to offer. Recently ranked first in the Mercer Quality of Living survey, there’s nowhere better to have an international internship abroad than in Vienna.

Our program guarantees you an internship in Austria that will help you develop professional skills to jump-start your career and make you more attractive to employers in today’s competitive job market. Work approximately 30 hours per week at a local business or organization with a placement in fields such as the arts, international relations, psychology, and more. In your free time visit the beautiful Schönbrunn Palace, attend an opera, or go for a day trip to the nearby lake village of Hallstatt for some photo ops.

All this and more await you in Vienna!

Program Highlights
  • Gain credit while you intern in Vienna
  • Add on an optional German course to help you make the most of your time in Austria
  • Build your international network with professional connections and new friends
  • Explore Vienna, Austria, and nearby locations through personal travel and IES Internships field trips and events
  • Boost your resume with an international internship through a top-ranked provider

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Popular Programs

student on stage in a theater in Vienna with the house (theater seats) behind them

Work approximately 30 hours per week in your guaranteed internship placement. Past placement examples include: a composite-materials manufacturing company that builds snowboards, a chatbot tech startup, and an animal welfare research firm. You'll also enroll in a required 3- or 6-credit academic internship seminar with other IES interns, where you’ll gain context for your internship placement. You can also take a 3-credit German language course at no extra cost if your work schedule allows.

Theodore

Living and Working in Vienna

Getting out of the U.S. to live, work, and play in a new country is an incredibly valuable experience. And, as a musician, there are few better places to jump headfirst into other than Vienna. IES Abroad did a nice job of easing us into the culture and the city, but did not hold our hands too much. Our time there was largely our own to spend as we please. I enjoyed taking German classes with a wonderful teacher that IES selected, and some of my favorite memories were exploring the city as a "class".

As an intern, what you get out of your work experience is what you choose to take from it. I wasn't in the most ideal situation, coming into Vienna without an internship placement, but the staff with IES did a great job of facilitating an interview and getting me into the workplace as fast as possible.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I did this again, I wish I had a little more freedom to pick and choose what business I wanted to work for. Now that my requirement for an arts administration internship is done, I'd like to pick a workplace that I really could sink my teeth into and make a difference in.