IES Internships Vienna Summer – Internship

As an IES intern, you’ll enjoy the history, rich culture, and professional opportunities that the political and economic capital of Austria has to offer. Recently ranked first in the Mercer Quality of Living survey, there’s nowhere and no way better to spend your summer than with a full-time internship in Vienna.

IES Internships’ unpaid, academic summer internships place Vienna interns in fields such as the arts, international relations, psychology, and more. As a summer intern, you'll work with a local business or organization for approximately 30 hours per week. You will also enroll in a required 3- or 6-credit academic internship seminar with other IES interns, where you’ll gain context for your internship placement by examining cultural issues in the workplace. You have the option of enrolling in a 3-credit German language course at no extra cost, as well, if your work schedule allows.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Theodore

Living and Working in Vienna

Getting out of the U.S. to live, work, and play in a new country is an incredibly valuable experience. And, as a musician, there are few better places to jump headfirst into other than Vienna. IES Abroad did a nice job of easing us into the culture and the city, but did not hold our hands too much. Our time there was largely our own to spend as we please. I enjoyed taking German classes with a wonderful teacher that IES selected, and some of my favorite memories were exploring the city as a "class".

As an intern, what you get out of your work experience is what you choose to take from it. I wasn't in the most ideal situation, coming into Vienna without an internship placement, but the staff with IES did a great job of facilitating an interview and getting me into the workplace as fast as possible.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I did this again, I wish I had a little more freedom to pick and choose what business I wanted to work for. Now that my requirement for an arts administration internship is done, I'd like to pick a workplace that I really could sink my teeth into and make a difference in.
Read my full story