Global Health Experiential Education in India

Let the world change you in India. CFHI provides a variety of public health and healthcare immersion programs that cover a diverse range of subjects that include but aren’t limited to: end of life and palliative care, traditional medicine, chronic disease, and ophthalmology. CFHI programs are available all throughout the country such as Delhi, Mysore in the north, Trivandrum, and Mumbai:

Public Health Delivery Innovations and Community Medicine
End-of-Life and Palliative Care
Rural and Urban Himalayan Rotation
Hospital Medicine and Infectious Disease
Intro to Traditional Medicine
Sight for All - Ophthalmology
Maternal and Child Health
Chronic Disease and Integrative Medicine

Depending on your program choice, relax at the end of the day with local families or in a private apartment as you prepare for the next day. CFHI participants may also choose to organize their own day trips on the weekend to explore India’s spectacular tourist sites.

• These experiences will complement participants' clinical immersion in hospitals in and around Delhi.
  • Participants will see some of the efforts of non-profits providing health care to street children who have no other access to services.
  • We recommend you study Hindi if possible before you go. All of activities listed above will be conducted in English and all of our partners in this program speak English, yet other people you encounter may not.
  • Clinical rotations Monday-Friday, working with local physicians and public health experts who have opted to participate in CFHI as a teaching preceptors.
  • Information sessions that highlight the health care system in that country, common cases you will encounter and other site-specific information.

Sharon

Maternal and Child Health Global Immersion Trip in Pune, India

I chose this program in India and participated for 4 weeks during my summer semester of college in 2016 because I am interested in obstetrics and gynecology as well as, the challenges expecting mothers face in the developing world. Apart from that, I also love the vibrant and colorful culture of India. This program was worth the time and money because I got to shadow and interact with physicians from both departments of pediatrics and obstetrics/ gynecology as well as, primary care physicians from rural villages. This experience allows me to have a better idea of what I want to pursue and how I want to contribute to women healthcare. I highly recommend to anyone who's interested in working in the healthcare sector. Also, I would totally encourage others to go because it’s not only an opportunity to learn more about global health but also, to learn more about different cultures and forge everlasting friendships.

Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and enjoy the experience whole heartedly (:
Michael

Intro to Traditional Medicine: India

I completed a 4-week experience with CFHI during the summer of 2016. The Intro to Traditional Medicine experience in India was one of the most formative experiences I have had in medical school. I shadowed practitioners in reiki, naturopathy, allopathic medicine, and ayurveda. I also attended one-on-one teaching sessions with a 104 year old genius of a man. The organization is very supportive, easy to work with, and flexible. The experience was pivotal to my understanding of healthcare systems, rural medicine, and cultural awareness. The rotation was very useful to my medical career and presented a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel in India and southeast Asia. There was a good balance of education, culture, language skills, and travel. I enjoyed the experience so much that I will doing another rotation with CFHI this summer.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I took a 15 hour bus trip to Dharamshala to listen to the Dalai Lama speak.
Winnie

Above and Beyond my Expectations

I came into my experience with Child Family Health International thinking that I would get some hands-on healthcare experience that would make me a better healthcare professional in the future. I came out of it with a new perspective on what health means and a trip that - although different than I was expecting and not "hands-on" - will truly make me a better, more culturally conscious and stronger global citizen and health advocate.

Through CFHI, I learned to question my perspective and learn from local experts. I learned that health is not only the classes I took, the biological processes I studied or the hospitals I was familiar with, it is social, it is personal and it looks different to each of us. Healthcare in India is something that I am by no means an expert in, which is why I was refreshed that CFHI fosters a learning environment where participants are learners and local experts are teachers, guiding students through the intricacies of global health and social determinants of healthcare in different environments.

Participating in the CFHI program in Delhi and Dehradun, India broadened my horizon and opened my mind to what it means to provide quality health care around the world, and I am forever grateful. Thank you CFHI!

Lauren

India- a hot bed of public health!

Have you ever seen iv drug users or prostitutes? Have you ever talked to them and discussed public health issues in a constructive way. I got the chance to do this in the CFHI month long program. I also was able to learn from local public health practitioners what it is like to be boots on the ground and lean from the Jaipur Institute what national policy is, how it was formed, and how it is measured. On a social note I also traveled to see the Taj mahal and the Dali lama's temple

I was the only nurse and I wish I could have had some direct clinical experiences.
Kady

India in February

February and March are the perfect time to go to India. There are festivals like Holy, and the weather is not too hot or too cold.

The living accomindations: You stay in an apartment with a care giver that makes two meals of traditional Indian Cuisine. So, yes when there are noodles on the table for breakfast, it is breakfast. The shower or lack there of is a traditional bucket bath. I personally brought a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner so it was quick, but you get clean.

The experience: when I went in I had pre-conseved notions about the program based on the videos the program makes you watch and how it is descibed on the website. I thought it was going to be a more hands on experience. For example, I thought we were going to learn a lot about a program and then teach about condom use, or water safety. This was not the case. Instead, it was more of learning about the organization and then asking questions reguarding the presentation. There were two times I felt I was actually helping. First, was at a homeless children's drop in center. You help them with math and English. (I went back after my program finished, because I had a couple extra days) Second, at the week stay out of Delhi; we made a presentation to better the organization. So, If you want to learn about mantaining a non-profit and other aspects of the working of health programs this is a great exerience. If you are looking for a more hands on experience, I believe another sight would suit you better.

But, India was amazing! I would love to go back :)

I believe the site coordinator could better his communication style.
Meredith

Best way to end medical school

This past April I participated in the CFHI Maternal and Child Health program in Pune, India. The experience from the day I was accepted into the program until the day I returned from India was wonderful. CFHI kept in contact with me throughout the many months before the program began. I received program information via mail and email, and felt very comfortable heading out to Pune.

I was the only person in the program during that month, but the program directors in Pune and in the States made sure that I was doing well throughout the entire trip. I felt very supported during my time over there. Each morning I met with the program director to discuss either the rotation I'd be going to that day or some interesting cultural information about India.

The rotation was set up so that each week I worked with a different obstetrician or pediatrician in both hospital and outpatient settings. Every morning I would go to the hospital or office and observe the physician during their normal day of clinic or hospital rounds. I was even able to assist in a few surgeries and deliveries.

I also was able to work in a rural clinic outside of Pune during my third week. The rural clinic was one of my favorite experiences. On the morning that we went there we picked up four residents from the local medical college and drove about 3 hours outside of the city. The mountains were beautiful and it felt wonderful to be outside of the noise and busyness of the city for a while. When we arrived at the clinic a crowd of people were already waiting there for us. I was able to work with both a pediatrician and an obstetrician during the morning. We saw over 60 patients, and by the time we were finished we all were exhausted, but satisfied that we were able to see everyone who came.

I enjoyed talking and spending time with my host family as well. They made sure that I had more than my share of the great Indian food, and was able to experience many of the wonderful places around Pune on my evenings and weekends off. I am grateful that I was able to participate in an Indian wedding, climb one of the nearby mountains, see multiple temples throughout the city, and visit the historical Buddhist caves. Coming home after my four week stay I can say that I feel more informed both about the health care system and the culture of this beautiful country. I can't wait to return.