Global Health Experiential Education in the Philippines

Experience one of CFHI’s newest program locations, now with 2 week options year round! Travel to remote islands of the Philippines and experience firsthand the various resources, medicine, and healthcare services that are utilized in each island community. Although you will spend time in the private and public healthcare facilities in the capital city of Manila, the majority of this program takes place in "barangays" or villages, on hard to reach islands in the provinces of Quezon and Romblon. There, you will learn about daily healthcare challenges that those communities face due to their limited access.

Other opportunities include meeting with local health professionals at the WHO Western Pacific Regional Office Headquarters and the Department of Health, and attending cultural lectures and excursions led by CFHI's on-site partners.

Students will stay in hotel/dorms for the first week in Manila before shifting to homestays at the island setting.

Elise

I would recommend this program

I participated in the Remote Island Medicine program in Quezon, Philippines. The entire process leading up to the trip was smooth and informative. I also appreciated that my capstone project topic was selected by the local hosts themselves and not by CFHI.

My experience in the Philippines went just as smoothly as the trip preparation. The hosts I was working with were excellent mentors, super ambitious and successful in their fields, and well connected as well. This meant that besides the rich knowledge and context they provided us, they were also able to provide additional experiences, like a visit to the WHO HQ. The experience helped me to begin to build an international professional network.

Besides the professional connections I made, I continue to cherish the personal ones I made even 2 years later. My host "family" and neighborhood friends, as well as the medical student traveling with me, enriched my experience and really helped push me into the culture. The time we had off to explore our surroundings and connect with the community provided just as much growth as our time working.

Joyce

Island of Marinduque

I went to the Philippines in Jan ' 20 before the whole Covid lockdown went into full effect. I was assigned to one of the small islands to work on a rural health community medicine project. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. Not only was the teaching incredible, the experience was everything that I could have asked for. As a senior medical student, I saw how community workers cared for rural communities, worked with medical centers both on the coast, and all the way up into the mountains and assisted in public health initiatives like family planning, and vaccinations.

I can honestly say that I have a little Filipino family on the island of Marinduque. So much love, and care is shown by both the community, healthcare workers and professors. I want to return back as a resident, hoping to be working in ER medicine/Disaster Medicine someday.

I would have wanted to be shifted to two different locations in my 1 month course. I felt that there were different needs on different islands, and as a medical professional, I wish I could have seen more during the one month stay.
Taylor

Great Global Health Internship in an amazing country!

The CFHI Remote Island Medicine program in the Philippines is an amazing way to get hands on knowledge and experience in the global and public health field. Much of the program is focused on clinical exposure, shadowing, and learning about health inequities. For me, I had learned about global and public health in the classroom but never had any real exposure to the field. This program was a way for me to understand the field through valuable experience.

The cool thing about CFHI is that they really are a vehicle for you to connect to the local community. I really wanted a program that was working with local organizations, not just an American organization going into a community and doing “good work”. CFHI makes the connection to the local community, and then the rest is up to the local directors in the Philippines. So when it comes to ethical standards and ethical service, CFHI did a great job.

Another great factor in this program is its connection to small, tight knit communities in the Philippines. While you will spend some time in Manila, the bulk of your time will be on smaller islands and living in small communities with host families. Living within the community was my favorite part of the internship, as I made friends with my host families, with nurses in the Rural Health Unit, and with other local personalities. I'm still in contact with my friends from the Philippines today!

This program will not only expose you to the global health field and medicine, but it will also challenge you to think ethically and critically about community engagement, it will challenge you to become involved in the community, it will challenge you to learn about a new culture and attempt to learn a new language! The community partnerships you make in the Philippines will be long lasting if you put in the effort, as I'm already planning to spend a year there following graduation!