Doctor Shadowing Experience for University Students

Students mentored by a doctor
Students mentored by a doctor
Students shadowing a surgeon in the O.R.
Students shadowing a surgeon in the O.R.

This program gives pre-medical and pre-health students the chance to shadow doctors in hospitals in the Dominican Republic. Over the two-week residential program, you will gain at least 40 hours of observational clinical experience with a specific medical doctor as your personal mentor throughout.

Accommodation is provided in our own purpose-designed guesthouse, where you'll stay with other students from around the world.

This program is for students aged 18 and over, at any stage of a pre-med or pre-health journey.

• 40+ hours shadowing a doctor
  • Personal mentorship
  • Accommodation included
  • Incredible social experience

Rosanna

Amazing Experience

I had an amazing two weeks there and would recommend this experience to anyone who is unsure if they are ready to go to medical school. The doctors that you shadow are very informative and do their best that each student gets to see various procedures in the hospital as well as targeting each area of interest. A couple things they could improve on is having an itinerary of what the two weeks will look like, sending price lists of various activities that you can do in the afternoon and having the La Romana staff contact students prior to arrival instead of at arrival. Other than that, the hands-on experience is something that is crucial in medicine and the ability to ask the doctors about each step is something that I loved most about the program.

Communication about costs and sending an itinerary.
Amy

A life changing experience

This trip was an experience of a life time and one I wish I could relive everyday. It was my first time truly travelling alone, but the people you meet as well as the amazing staff at the house become a second family instantly. The hospital, Dr Dario Contreras is a place I will never forget. I was assigned to Neurosurgery with Dr Vasquez and Dr Carreras and they made our assigned group feel so welcome and always made sure we understood what was going on and if we had any questions at all. We were invited to as many surgeries as possible, and standing in the OR watching so many amazing procedures is such a privilege and one I treasured everyday there, as it is something that simply doesn’t happen at my age. We accompanied the doctors on patient rounds and consultations getting an immense learning platform for their field and the medical field in general.
This program is one I suggest to anyone wanting a career in healthcare at any level. Once you go you will never want to leave.

The one thing that fully makes the trip is being at the hospital but what makes it even more memorable is what you do on your free time. Planning excursions and site seeing adventures with your group are a must do activity. It is a step out of your comfort zone for sure but it is how you truly get to appreciate the country you’re visiting and the people you are meeting. Step outside that comfort zone and you won’t be sorry!
Read my full story
Jewel

Global Premeds 2019 - Santo Domingo

I had an amazing time with Global Premeds! I met so many people from different parts of the world and was able to make life long friends. The hospital experience was just as I thought it would be. I got the chance to watch many surgeries and familiarized myself with the hospital and some of the other medical staff. I was assigned with Dr. Vasquez and Dr. Carreras (Neurosurgery Residents) and they made the experience very memorable. They made sure we were aware of the different surgeries and cases that we saw during the day and allowed us to take part in their rounds and patient checkups. I was also taught about the medical system of the hospital and realized how different the Dominican Republic's system is from the one I have at home in Canada. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in pursuing a medical career or even interested in Global or Public Health. This is a great opportunity to see a different perspective of medicine.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I went ATV riding in a small village and stopped at different areas like a sugar cane field, chocolate farm, and went swimming in a beautiful river! This experience was a major highlight of this trip.