• Online
1 to 8 weeks

Program Details

Spring Summer

Pricing

Visit website for program pricing
Jun 29, 2020
Jul 31, 2021

Looking for a way to make your quarantine summer productive? Our virtual internships can help you land your dream job in an International “for good” industry. Spend your summer flicking through images of baby sea turtles or analyzing drone shots of coral reefs! Keep six feet of distance while fundraising for a women’s empowerment organization. Teach English to social entrepreneurs from the comfort of your home. Embark on a GVI Virtual Internship and gain experience working with governments, NGOs, and social enterprises in locations around the world. You’ll also get daily one-on-ones with an assigned mentor, and weekly masterclasses delivered by local experts.

Once you’ve carried out your internship, you can take your project to future employers along with a recommendation from your mentor, new skills, a global peer network, and hours of experience working on projects!

Program Highlights

• Choose from one of the eight conservation and international development fields
  • Complete real-world projects to show employers
  • Gain verifiable skills
  • Attend a masterclass lecture series
  • Build your global professional network

• Content 9.8
  • Engagement 10
  • Platform 9.5
Charlotte

Amazing virtual experience !

Enjoying my education and passionate about international development but unsure of where it could all take me in a career, I decided to take on a summer of interning with GVI. As a degree-level student of foreign languages, I knew I wanted to travel but my experience with GVI has given me the opportunity to realise where my passion in supporting remote communities lies. I completed an amazing virtual internship collaborating with two organisations in Peru and Nepal who do incredibly important work for their target communities, supporting them while allowing them to not only maintain their independence but to develop it further by strengthening their current skills. I found that through every part of the GVI internship I found myself learning more about myself and the world and I could really see the difference I was making to the lives of the individuals I worked on projects supporting. I’m really looking forward to travelling to Mexico to complete an in-field community development internship and making a noticeable difference!

Response from GVI

Hi Charlotte! Thanks for your review. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed this program! It certainly sounds like you made the most of it. We'd love to see you registered for some of our other courses or in-person on base in the future!

Leigh

A Great First Step Towards a Career in Conservation

I have just completed a virtual Wildlife Conservation with GVI and had an amazing experience. I chose the part time eight week programme, as I was also working full time. Everyone who I met during the process were extremely helpful and passionate. The courses that I studied were in Wildlife Conservation and Careers in Sustainable Development. They were well organised and engaging, and could be completed at my own pace. I was assigned a research project in the Seychelles on Aldabra Tortoises, and I really loved the work. Even remotely, I gained a vast amount of kowledge on the ecology and behaviour of the species, and contributed to ongoing studies currently being carried out in the field. I would highly recommend a GVI programme to anyone aiming to begin a career in Conservation.

I wasn't able to attend some of the networking events. The events for both of my courses took place at the same time.
Response from GVI

Hi Leigh! Thanks for your detailed review. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed this program! It certainly sounds like you made the most of it. We'd love to see you registered for some of our other courses or virtual internships in the future!

Sophia

GVI Online Internship

Going into GVI, I was uncertain about what career path I wanted to follow. I have always been somewhat drawn to working with the environment, but didn't have much experience. Their online Climate Crisis and Sustainability internships allowed me to partner with two unique South African organizations where I got to learn more about the South African school system and about how waste is processed or reused. I work a full time job, so it was nice to be able to space out my research for each internship over the course of several months and then have a little extra time to complete the courses. This program helped confirm that I wanted to continue working with the environment and sustainability, and I plan to go back to school for master in public health (MPH) in global environmental health in the fall of 2021.

Due to COVID, I wasn't able to travel and do an internship through GVI in a foreign country. With that being said, I still learned a bit about the South African culture and felt as though I had an impact. If you're a little nervous to go out of the country, but still want to get some work and experience in a foreign country, this is an amazing experience that you can do.
Response from GVI

Hi Sophia! Thanks for your review. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed this program! It certainly sounds like you made the most of it. We'd love to see you registered for some of our other courses in the future!

Isabelle

An amazing experience

I absolutely loved doing the GVI online internship. I did the marine conservation one and learnt a lot about not only marine conservation but how to get a job in the sector, skills that will help me get there and one of a kind opportunities with NGOs. I really enjoyed all the zoom calls where I took part in discussions, networking sessions, career workshops and masterclasses. The best part was the ability to work on a real life project with an NGO where I created 3 videos raising awareness for shark conservation with children, something that was really fun and such a good opportunity, especially when we are unable to travel.

There could have been a slightly higher level of content on the online course however I am not sure if this would apply to many people as I am currently studying marine biology at university so already knew a lot on the subject. For someone new to marine conservation there is a great wealth of knowledge!
Response from GVI

Hi Isabelle! Thanks for your review. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed this program! It certainly sounds like you made the most of it. We'd love to see you registered for some of our other courses in the future!

Hashikka

Amazing

My GVI virtual internship experience was second to none! As someone who is right at start of her career journey I had a lot of anxieties about where I fit in my chosen career field as the options just seemed endless. GVI made this experience that much less stressful by giving me the opportunity to dive into the working world of Wildlife Conservation (my chosen career programme, although there are many others available for one to explore!). I got an insider's perspective on the everyday ins and outs of some of the amazing partnered organisations making a huge impact in the wildlife conservation space. Even better than that, was being able to actually get stuck in and help them through various assigned projects. The projects are tailored to you and your specific interests. I requested a varying range of tasks and that's exactly what I got. This enabled me to really challenge myself and clearly point out where my strengths and weaknesses lie, as well as identify what type of work I really like and gravitate towards. The staff at GVI are incredibly supportive and really are the backbone of this whole programme, through regular check-ins with your supervisor, group meetings and project reviews to help you reflect on the work you're doing, you really are getting a bang for your buck. They help to answer any queries, doubts, or worries you may have along the way. Due to the amazing support from my supervisor, I felt dramatically less anxious about my work and had a very enjoyable working and learning experience. Another highlight of this virtual programme is that you get to meet so many likeminded impact-driven individuals from all corners of the world and discuss endless global topics as well as have a great laugh with some of them, GVI really made all the interns feel comfortable and did a great job in creating a very open and friendly environment. The sense of fulfilment I got upon completion of some of these projects were unmatched! I would highly recommend GVIs virtual internship to anyone looking to start a career which at its core is about making meaningful long-term positive impacts and that leaves you feeling like you are truly part of a global family. I believe the best way of learning is through doing, and GVI gives you the opportunity to do just that!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Whilst on a zoom call with my supervisor based in South Africa a buffalo decided to pay a visit. That was a very unexpected but pleasant surprise.
Response from GVI

Hi Hashikka! Thanks for your super detailed review. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed this program! It certainly sounds like you made the most of it. We'd love to see you registered for some of our other courses in the future!

Belinda

One of the best experiences of my life!!

My time with GVI in Tortuguero National Park, Costa Rica was phenomenal. I did the short-term internship in between my second and my final year of my university degree as part of my placement year and choose this program due to their very good reputation and to build my skills in conservation.
My role as an intern was to assist with the research projects which were being carried out at the biological research camp I was living at. Whilst there, there were jaguar and biodiversity projects running so I helped with the tracking and camera trapping of jaguars and biodiversity surveys of the surrounding habitat. Also, whilst on this internship I completed GVI’s biological survey technique program where I learnt how to apply conservation practise to a range of ecosystems and I also did an emergency first aid program to prepare for the realities of practising conservation in the wild. In addition, I completed the ILM endorsed leadership certificate where I had to do several presentations, assignments and attend weekly one to one sessions with my mentor.
The staff were paramount to the incredible experience as they offer a wealth of knowledge and make you feel welcome from day one in camp. Due to the remote and basic living conditions you quickly form very close friendships, unforgettable memories and meet amazing, likeminded people along the way which makes the experience so wonderful.
My high expectations of this program were massively exceeded, and I wish I choose to stay for more than 8 weeks. The program helped give me direction to my future career plans and guided me in picking final year modules at university that compliment these plans. Do not just consider doing a GVI internship, DO IT, you will not regret it at all.
I can hands down say this was one of the best experiences of my life and shaped me massively as an individual.

Response from GVI

Hey Belinda, thanks for your great review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us as much as you did. Your hard work and efforts have certainly impacted this project in a meaningful way. Please do keep on spreading your love for GVI. And obviously, we would love to see you back on base soon!

Genevieve

GVI Internships

I did a wildlife internship with GVI in my gap year, I learnt so much that has helped me on my university course (BSc Wildlife Ecology and Conservation) and will continue to do so in my future career. My mentor was really helpful and informative, and the assignments were super fun and interesting, yet challenging enough to push my learning and improve my skills. For anyone looking for a career with wildlife, or even just to learn some super interesting new things, I would defiantly recommend learning with GVI!

This program is everything I wanted - no improvements needed!
Response from GVI

Hey Genevieve, thanks for your review! You are always welcome to come back as quickly as you like! We'd love to have your input and passion back on base.

Meg

Highly Recommend

My internship with GVIwas a great experience. Having a mixture of theory and practical allowed me to really understand what I was working on and I felt like I was contributing to the projects a lot. The theory and presentations that I worked on also have given me a lot more confidence with everyday things and presenting with jobs I have at home. My staff mentor was really encouraging and always around to answer any questions or doubts I had about anything and generally just very encouraging towards all of my work. I am now thinking more and more about Community Development being something I would like to work on further and my internship helped me to realise that. I'd definately reccomend interning with GVI to anyone.

Response from GVI

Hi Meg! Thanks for your review. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed this program! It certainly sounds like you made the most of it. We'd love to see you registered for some of our other courses or virtual internships in the future!