GVI: Internships in Fiji

GVI: Internships in Fiji

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

Visit the tropical paradise of Fiji with GVI and intern to make a difference on critical community development and conservation initiatives. GVI runs a number of unique programs in this island nation which gives you the opportunity to discover a new culture and leave a lasting, positive impression. Join GVI in Fiji for the experience of a lifetime!

• Marine Conservation and PADI Divemaster Internship in Fiji On this PADI Divemaster and marine conservation internship you'll spend your days diving around and protecting some of the most beautiful underwater creatures in the world. Gain important work experience while gathering valuable ecological data on the reefs and related ecosystems. Boost your marine conservation career!
  • Teaching Internship in Fiji The community needs all the educational help they can get and your contribution will be greatly appreciated. After a successful internship, you may even get the opportunity to work for GVI or selected partner organizations. Give your career a head-start in this island paradise!
  • Short Term Teaching Internship in Fiji: Explore the tropical country of Fiji on a hands-on short-term teaching internship. As an intern you gain practical experience while you make a real difference to communities, assisting and sharing your skills with local teachers to improve the quality of education in under-resourced schools.
  • Short Term Marine Conservation Internship in Fiji: Join our educational internship and dive in the tropical waters of Fiji and contribute to vital conservation efforts. Discover the rich biodiversity of the South Pacific and gain your PADI Advanced Open Water qualification and contribute towards tangible, long-term community benefits.
  • Short Term Community Development Internship Fiji: Immerse yourself in the local culture and contribute to valuable community development projects in the South Pacific. You will assist with various activities depending on the needs of the project, which may include infrastructure construction projects or helping set up community based income-generation initiatives.
Oceania » Fiji

Roslyn
Oxford

Education internship in Fiji

Sleeping a few meters from the sea, watching beautiful sunrises over distant islands through coconut trees, my two adoptive village families, laughter, music, singing and dancing in the village hall will forever be my memories of Fiji and my six month internship there…..but there was so much more.
As a mature intern heading off for new experiences, Fiji was a perfect place to start. A newly acquired TEFL qualification gave a little confidence, but the reality of holding the interest of a lively, challenging group of youngsters for the full length of lessons in PE, Art and Music required a new set of skills, patience and enthusiasm. One to one teaching, helping those struggling in Maths and English was a quieter affair and definitely rewarding seeing progress made and the delight students showed as they achieved each small step.
Three months living and working with other volunteers and project staff, learning all I could from them, was followed by 3 months in a different school and group of villages as the only volunteer, where no-one had preceded me. It was nerve wracking going to live with a Fijian family away from the support and companionship of the other volunteers, but I needn’t have worried, the Headmaster, his wife (Deputy Head Teacher) and their two children were so lovely and my time with them was filled with laughter and fun. The school was well run and the children had all the right building blocks to speak English but lacked the courage to start; reassurance that mistakes didn’t matter was all that was needed for the flood gates to open. Thus followed much laughter, noisy classrooms playing charades and other games to encourage speaking English, quieter one to one sessions, plus the massive task of sorting through boxes of old books, setting up a library and initiating weekly library sessions for all the children.
All too soon my six months was over. The thing I was least prepared for was how hard it would be to leave, to say goodbye to two schools, my two adopted families, the staff and other interns and of course all the villagers - a massive emotional wrench but so worth it for the joy and memories which will last forever.

Many improvements and changes have already occurred since my internship.

Florence
London, England
University of Exeter

Teaching in Fiji

On the first day we were met by the GVI staff members and treated to a delicious breakfast of local fruits. Before long, we were on our way across the lush, green island to the small village of Silana. Our arrival was eagerly anticipated by the other GVI volunteers, who welcomed us with smiles and lunch!
Our first Sunday was spent in church and getting to know our Fijian families. A traditional Fijian meal was prepared and we were supplied with pillows and told to ‘take a nap’ for the afternoon, happily following the local custom that no work can be done on a Sunday.
The following weeks involved getting to know our class at school. The level of spoken and written English varied dramatically throughout the class but all the children were keen to learn and practice, particularly if that involved gossiping about other class members or volunteers! I was struck by the enthusiasm of the children in my class – something that I never experienced whilst I was at school. They had dreams of being doctors or teachers in order to help out their community, but most of all, they wanted to travel.
My experience in Silana was one of the most treasured moments of my life. The village was so welcoming, always ready to teach you Fijian or inviting you into their house for dinner. The evenings were spent drinking kava in the community hall or watching exceptional performances of the Meke – a traditional Fijian dance.
Almost as soon as we arrived it was time to leave. The morning came for us to leave and the women of the village came to say goodbye in the traditional way – through song. By the time the stunning harmonies of Isa Lei had come to an end there wasn’t a dry eye getting in the van to leave.
I know I speak for all the volunteers when I say that being in Silana was a truly special experience and that we would all do anything to go back. Four weeks was definitely not long enough and I would thoroughly recommend this program to anyone and everyone!

We could have been provided with slightly more accurate, up-to-date information about the program before we arrived.

Lisa
Eugene, OR

Best experience EVER!

The two months I spent on the Education Project in 2011 were undoubtedly the best of my life!! I feel like not only wasI able to make everlasting, positive change in the lives of many deserving children and families, but also got to do so in one of the most beautiful places in the world with some of the most amazing people in the world. I helped to establish the first kindergarten at Ratu Meli Memorial School, and was able to use all of my teaching experience in doing so. To see it continue to grow and develop today is absolutely amazing! The other volunteers I met are still my friends to this day, and are actually my forever Fiji family. This experience is NOT a vacation however--it takes a lot of hard work and dedication, and yes, there is definitely a lot of fun that goes on as well, but its not just a kick-back holiday.The only word that comes even close to describing my experience is incredible, and that is still lightyears away from doing it justice. It made me grow as a professional and a person, and I would definitely recommend it!

I do not recall having any access to any program Ambassadors, and feel like if I had it definitely would have been helpful. I think that potential volunteers should be given an updated list of program ambassadors so they can talk to them before they decide to go and then if they do, while they are preparing for it. I know I would have taken advantage of it!

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered