Projects Abroad Internships in Ghana

Projects Abroad Internships in Ghana

Projects Abroad has been placing volunteers abroad since 1992. As a volunteer in Ghana you will have the opportunity to work in a number of different capacities, including: Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery, Dentistry, Public Health, Physical Therapy, Pharmacy, Speech Therapy, Journalism, Veterinary Medicine, Microfinance, and Law & Human Rights. All our volunteers work directly with local communities to have a meaningful and longterm impact.

Thank you for your interest in volunteering in Ghana with Projects Abroad! We look forward to seeing you in the field.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Live and work in the local community
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends
Africa » Ghana » Cape Coast

Manojit
Canada
University of Ottawa

Medicine - Projects Abroad

Volunteering with Projects Abroad has given me a new perspective on life! I traveled to Africa in 2017 and spent time in Ghana working in the medicine program. Projects Abroad's staff has made the transition very smooth and seamless with their detailed web pages and a great support team who answered all my questions and prepared me for my project.

I spent some invaluable time with my host family as they taught me about the culture in Ghana and day-to-day life here. Everyone was extremely friendly and working at the hospital proved to be the greatest experience of all. I got life changing hands on experience working at multiple wards and made solid long lasting connections with many of the doctors, nurses and staff. The leprosy camp outreaches gave me a chance to develop solid connections with the camp residents and learn their life stories.

On our free time, we traveled around the localities, historic landmarks, and eat local foods. I met people of all different ages, backgrounds and countries and have developed some strong bonding with them. Volunteering abroad teaches you to appreciate and be open minded about everyone and every culture, as it throws you out of your comfort zone.
It helps you build confidence, empathy and expands your mind to the greater beyond. Especially, in the medicine program it teaches you to cope with adverse environments and develops your patience to empathize with your patients.
But let's not forget, this entire journey is never walked alone, as the great management from both off and on-site staff of the Projects Abroad has laid out a solid road for me to complete my project.

Sierra
Ghana
Loyola University Maryland

Speech Therapists Needed!

"In terms of my internship, it’s been an incredible experience. There isn’t much speech therapy going on in the school, so this is why volunteers like myself are necessary! The students I worked with were amazing. Joe* is an 8 year old boy I worked one-on-one with. He has autism and severe ADHD. He is nonverbal and clearly not much has been established for him in terms of speech services because other than pointing and gestures, he cannot communicate at all. There are no communication boards, PECS systems, or any other alternative forms of communication for him. Behavior is a big issue as well. Although they reprimand the kids, there is a lack of corrective feedback and DRI. The kids get yelled at but behave more out of fear than because they know right from wrong. So corrective feedback is essential in therapy but culture differences and lack of training in the field contribute to that.

The other children are Jake* (16) who has autism, Jesse* (16) who has Down Syndrome, Isa* (11) who I has cerebral palsy, seizures and feeding difficulties, Andy* (7) who has autism and Griffin* (8) who has autism as well. All of the children in my classroom were nonverbal except for Isa* who speaks very little, and mainly repeats echolalia. The kids are awesome though and so sweet. The teachers definitely do their best given the circumstances and genuinely care about the kids. Each day is very routine, and they even adopted the visual schedule system which is great for children with autism"

This is an excerpt from my blog that I kept over the course of my internship in Ghana. The Projects Abroad staff was unbelievably supportive through my transition into African life, and are some of the most friendly people I have ever met. I am currently a senior studying Speech Language Hearing Sciences at Loyola University Maryland in the USA, and felt that this internship was the perfect opportunity to gain some real life work experience before applying to graduate school. I thoroughly enjoyed going to work every day and the children and staff at the school are all incredible.

I highly recommend going through Projects Abroad if you want this type of immersion experience. They help book flights, provide information such as how to obtain a visa, what to pack, and what to expect once in Ghana. When I arrived, a staff member picked me up directly at the airport, sporting his green Projects Abroad shirt for identification, and brought me directly to my home stay to help me settle in. I never once felt unsafe or nervous, and felt very comfortable in the care of Projects Abroad. My housing accommodation was awesome, the friends I made through volunteering were amazing, and one of the staff members is even willing to write my letter of recommendation for graduate school. Regardless of how much experience you have in the field, or how comfortable you are with traveling, I am here to tell you that I managed just fine and I traveled this journey alone. Luckily, I had the supportive Projects Abroad staff to help me navigate through it.

Thank you Projects Abroad! Volunteer with them, you'll be glad you did!

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those