Internship as a Program Administrator for Volunteer Projects in Honduras

The Program Administrator is an in-country team member charged with leading a team of motivated volunteers in a BECA community school. They are creative and flexible with proven management experience. The primary role of the Program Admin is to work as a liaison between BECA volunteer teachers and the Honduran staff at the school, both in logistical matters like calendar and staff meetings, and in cultural matters like assisting with event-planning for school holidays and supporting collaboration between a culturally-diverse staff.

The Administrator is also responsible for overseeing and running the scholarship program, which helps provide access to higher-level education to families from a wide variety of economic backgrounds. For these reasons, the Administrator must be fluent in both Spanish and English, and feel comfortable speaking publicly, engaging in school board meetings, and having professional conversations with parents, teachers, and staff in both languages.

• Monthly stipend
  • Flight stipend
  • Leadership Training
  • Quarterly Professional Development days
  • Quarterly Leadership Summits

Derek

Wear many hats as a BECA program administrator

I served as a BECA program administrator during the 2015-2016 school year after teaching at the same school the previous two years. What a rewarding and growth filled year it was! There is an amazing amount of daily variety and challenge in the job ranging from crowd control in a Kindergarten classroom to high level strategic planning with the school board and brainstorming solutions for classroom management with volunteer teachers to name a few. There was no better position for me to develop and grow my leadership skills, develop an abundance of patience, and hone my problem solving skills all at the same time. Apply now for this life-changing position!

Nick

Life Changing Adventure!

I looked into a lot of similar programs in Latin America before selecting BECA. And I can wholeheartedly say that choosing to work with BECA was the best decision I ever could have made. Organizationally, BECA is deeply committed to working in solidarity with its community partners and to ensuring that its programming is always focused on the students and communities it seeks to empower, not the volunteers. I came into the Program Administrator role several years out of undergrad and with a few years of professional experience in nonprofits under my belt. The position was the most challenging thing I ever did but also the most rewarding. Living in Honduras pushed me to lean into all my personal discomforts and pushed me professionally to hold people accountable and to make things work regardless of the resources I had at my disposal. In many ways I went to Honduras because I felt stuck with my life back in the states. I came back ready to tackle any challenge that the world had to throw at me--personally or professionally. I wouldn't be the person I am today without this experience.

Sarah

The Best Program Out There

After working for a year as a middle school English teacher with BECA, I transitioned into Program Administrator role. Not only was the experience one of the most rewarding of my professional career, I firmly believe that it is the best out there. The primary reason for this is that BECA has a truly equal partnership with the families and communities where it works. After having volunteered with several other, similar programs in Central America, it was really important to me know that community voices were being heard and uplifted in all decision-making processes. BECA is also unique in the depth of the relationships you will build, both with your fellow volunteers and with Hondurans. I am still best friends with several of the people I taught with in BECA, I still talk to my students and their families regularly (thank goodness for Messenger and WhatsApp!) and I have been back to visit several times. This is not an experience that you can or would want to easily forget.

As a program administrator, I loved the fact that I worked in so many different aspects of school life--from observing and coaching teachers to be more effective, to working with Honduran staff and administration to build strong cross-cultural relationships, to listening to and supporting parents and school leaders to strengthen the long-term vision and success of the school. There was NEVER a dull moment, but there were A TON of hilarious ones!

Joe

A Chance to Serve

When I finished my time in the military, I wanted to continue serving in another form, and I found it with BECA. I signed on for one year as a 2nd grade teacher, stayed for another year to teach the same kids in 3rd grade, and stayed again for a third year as the school administrator. I became so immersed in seeing my kids learn and grow each day, and becoming part of a community set on developing education together to overcome the challenges brought by generational poverty, inequality and natural disaster. The longer I stayed, the harder it became for me to leave. No matter how challenging the work was, watching my kids mature into the future leaders of Honduras, and seeing the pride their families felt for them, made it always worth it.

Since returning to the USA, I continue to work in education and look back on my years with BECA as some of the best of my life. This is so much more than a quick voluntourism or mission trip that merely shows you something new. This is a chance to perform real service that truly changes the future of a community and an entire country.

If you want to serve, work for BECA.

About Bilingual Education for Central America

BECA is a 501(c)3 organization that recruits, trains, and supports English-speaking volunteer teachers to staff a network of community-run bilingual schools in Honduras that serve low-income communities.

We exist to promote cultural exchange and...