• Indonesia

Compensation
Unpaid
Year Round

Pricing

Our prices include all diving-related activities, courses, professional activation fees, & materials (roughly USD$500).

The program price and duration are based on your current level of diving certification.

For Rescue Certified divers: $2800 / 8 weeks
Accommodation Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Jun 27, 2022
Jun 19, 2022
16 travelers are looking at this program

Project Laut is an NGO founded by dive professionals & marine biologists that aims to deliver high-quality scuba training while contributing to the establishment of a strong ecological monitoring program here in the heart of the Coral Triangle.

Our research aims focus on three main topics; the tracking & population dynamics of the critically endangered hawksbill sea turtle through photo-identification methods, coral reef rehabilitation by building and deploying open-modular coral spider structures, and investigating the efficacy of mixed vs non-mixed coral transplanting techniques at restoring ecosystem functions. Through the generation of this high-quality data, we are able to help direct local & international conservation efforts.

We are extremely happy to host incoming interns who are looking to develop their own research projects, for professional or academic purposes, but you don't need to be a diver or a scientist to apply and join us here at Project Laut.

Apply today!

Program Highlights

• Complete your Divemaster course & 5 marine ecology specialties in a beautiful tropical environment
  • Get practical and hands-on experience with scientific diving techniques, such as coral structure building & planting, marine megafauna photographic identification, & remote underwater video
  • Work alongside a team of experienced & award winning dive professionals & marine biologists
  • Build your confidence, CV, & network in order to launch or conservation and/or diving career
  • Dive in some of the most biodiverse & pristine tropical reefs alongside manta rays, sharks, ocean sunfish, & sea turtles

Ningrum

Project Laut Review

When I was researching for marine conservation internships during my gap year, I found Project Laut and decided to join. As I joined, the staff there have been helpful and made the experience more exciting and educational. I got to learn more about marine conservation and participated in various activities, such as building coral spiders, and diving. Project Laut also helped me get out of my shell and socialize with people. Without Project Laut, I wouldn't be able to understand marine conservation for my future university.

Pros
  • Friendly People
  • Diving
  • Boat trips
1 person found this review helpful.
Natasha

Best 3 months of my life

I recently completed my dive master certification with Joma, and I can’t recommend the program more! Project Laut not only made getting my divemaster certification one of the best times in my life, Joma creates an amazing atmosphere for learning and person growth, both professionally and socially. With his help I managed to get a solid month of working solo with customers, as well as getting from 4 dives when I arrived to 104 by the time I left. Will 100% be back some day in whatever capacity I can!

Pros
  • Conservation project experience
  • Networking
  • Wide variety of diving conditions
Lisa-Mae

Amazing DM experience!!

I did my divemaster internship at nomads from October til December last year and I absolutely loved it! Joma is such a patient teacher and really cares about his students. Thanks to him I'm now a confident diver and even enjoy diving in the currents (which I hated in the beginning)! The course itself was well structured and you learn a lot about the ocean, the environment and the fish of course. My favourite part was the turtle conservation and identification, you learn so much about them and get to identify and name every single turtle.
Joma is a funny, responsible guy who became a good friend of mine and I hope we can still have many dives together in the future!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I got lost several times in the strong currents (mostly because of miscommunication underwater) but thanks to Joma I was able to be confident enough in myself and overcome the initial panic, I even came up smiling after!
Sandra

Such a great experience

I had a great time with Nomads & Project Laut! The diving here is beautiful and Joma is a great & responsible instructor.

The atmosphere in the shop is fun, educational & professional. Sometimes they organize BBQs, movie nights or tours around the island.

The facilities are great! They have a huge pool that is great for training (and tanning!), the gear room is beautiful & well-kept, and the air-conditioned classrooms are great for all the indoor conservation work!

I would definitely recommend anyone wanting to do their divemasters to look no further than Nomads & Project Laut!!

Spend time under water as much as you can! The diving is great and due to conditions you learn a lot!
Jess

One of the Greatest Experiences of my Life

I had one of the greatest life experiences at Nomads. The crew are so friendly, they started to feel like family after a very short period of time. The head instructor, Joma, is so full of knowledge about the ocean and diving, I felt so safe and confident with him as my instructor. The gear was always up to scratch and the dive shop itself had such a great atmosphere. The dives were guided super well and the sites were absolutely breath-taking! Thank you, Nomads for such a rewarding experience.

Abby

Absolutely memorable

Project Laut & Joma are both fantastic and tons of fun!

I did my courses with Project Laut & Nomads, and I was uber impressed with the customer service and professionalism in the shop and throughout the courses. I was nervous because I heard Nusa Penida had some strong currents, but Joma helped me build confidence and feel good in currents.
Now I LOVE the drift diving!

The reefs are so healthy here, it is amazing. The mantas are stunning and stay at the island all year, and if you are lucky (like I was) then you might get a chance to see the elusive Mola Mola ;)
I would recommend Project Laut & Joma to anyone who wants to have fun and learn a ton about the ocean!

my drift diving skills ofcourse it was so much fun and very memorable!!
Virginia

Great program!

I had such a great time with Project Laut & Nomads!

I did my courses with Joma and I had so much fun. The diving was beautiful, but the currents are definitely challenging. Joma made me feel safe & comfortable in the currents, but it definitely takes some getting used to!

The facilities at Nomads were great - the pool is large, the gear room is well-kept and they even have nice air conditioned classrooms for theory sessions.

I would definitely recommend Project Laut & Nomads for anyone looking to do their dive training!

Theresa

Couldn’t recommend more!

Penida is a stunning place to do a divemasters course! You will get it all, crazy marine life, crazy conditions! It’s great to be able to deal with all of that! Joma is a very passionate, fun and safe dive instructor!! You will definitely enjoy being trained there! On top of that! Penida is gorgeous above the water aswell! You will always have great food, a beautiful sunset, good live music, great people! Go pack your bags and enjoy stunning Penida and project laut!!!! Oh and give the dogs some cuddles from me!!! :)