• Indonesia

Non-Monetary Benefits
Year Round
Weekly Hours

Pricing

We have multiple packages available depending on your current diving level with an average of $220 USD / week

All packages include accommodation assistance, listed diving and ecological courses and workshops, airport pick-up and transfer assistance on arrival, 2 program shirts, lunch on double dive days, pre-arrival support, VISA assistance and sponsorship, pre-arrival online training course, & scientific course materials. Each package also includes all divemaster course material & professional certification fees.

Does not include flights, additional spending money, some meals, VISA and renewal fees.

Check out our website for more details or contact infoprojectlaut@wordpress.com
What's Included
Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals SIM cards Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

All packages include accommodation assistance, in-country transportation, 8 dives per week, SSI divemaster course, 3 ecology specialty courses, additional workshops, program shirt, VISA assistance, pre-arrival training materials, pre-arrival support, & lunches during double tank dive days.

What's Not Included
Accommodation Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
What's Not Included (Extra)

Due to differing needs with regards to accommodation, we do not provide a set accommodation; however, we can provide you with several options with nearby partners with varying amenities/facilities & negotiate a discounted rate for the duration of your stay.

Aug 24, 2022
Aug 03, 2022
19 travelers are looking at this program

Project Laut is an conversation project founded by dive professionals & marine biologists that aims to deliver high-quality scuba training while contributing to the establishment of a strong ecological monitoring program here in the heart of the Coral Triangle.

Our research aims focus on three topics; the tracking & population dynamics of the critically endangered hawksbill sea turtle through photo-identification methods, coral reef rehabilitation by building and deploying open-modular coral spider structures, and investigating the efficacy of mixed vs non-mixed coral transplanting techniques at restoring ecosystem functions. Through the generation of this data, we are able to help direct local & international conservation efforts.

We are happy to host incoming interns who are looking to develop their own research projects, for professional or academic purposes, but you don't need to be a diver or a scientist to apply and join us here at Project Laut.

Apply today!

Program Highlights

• Complete your Divemaster course & 5 marine ecology specialties in a beautiful tropical environment
  • Get practical and hands-on experience with scientific diving techniques, such as coral structure building & planting, marine megafauna photographic identification, & remote underwater video
  • Work alongside a team of experienced & award winning dive professionals & marine biologists
  • Build your confidence, CV, & network in order to launch or conservation and/or diving career
  • Dive in some of the most biodiverse & pristine tropical reefs alongside manta rays, sharks, ocean sunfish, & sea turtles

Popular Programs

Divemaster in training

Description: For accomplished divers who have already completed the majority of their dive training before joining our project.

Prerequisites: Candidates must have completed their Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water Diver, Stress & Rescue Diver, CPR/First Aid & O2 Provider courses as well as have a minimum of 40 logged dives. Must be cleared to dive by a medical professional.

Minimum Time Commitment: 8 weeks

Program Fees: 40,000,000 IDR

Intern on Boat

Description: For experienced divers who have yet to complete their SSI Stress & Rescue course certification.

Prerequisites: Candidates must have completed their Open Water Diver and Advanced Open Water Diver courses as well as have a minimum of 20 logged dives. Must be cleared to dive by a medical professional.

Minimum Time Commitment: 10 weeks

Program Fees: 48,000,000 IDR

Coral Restoration

Description: For beginner divers who have yet to complete their Advanced Open Water course certification.

Prerequisites: Candidates must have completed their Open Water Diver course and be cleared to dive by a medical professional.

Minimum Time Commitment: 12 weeks

Program Fees: 56,000,000 IDR

Nusa Penida Coral

Description: For applicants who have no previous diving experience and will complete all courses with the project.

Prerequisites: Applicants must be comfortable in the open water, be able to tread water for 10 mins and swim 400m, and be cleared to dive by a medical professional.

Minimum Time Commitment: 14 weeks

Program Fees: 67,000,000 IDR

Intern at Crystal

Description: For already certified divers who want to focus on the conservation & research aspects of the project.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have a minimum of Rescue Diver certification, a minimum of 60 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a medical professional. You must be a competent diver before entering this program.

Minimum Time Commitment: 8 weeks
Program Fees: 25,000,000 IDR

Margeaux

Incredible Experience as a Project Laut Intern

I’ve been working in the conservation field for the past six years. I recently decided to pursue a more marine focused route. The Project Laut Divemaster and Conservation Internship was a perfect fit! It allowed me to further advance my dive and marine field skills. I started out the internship often nervous on drift dives, but left feeling confident guiding others in the same conditions. One of my favorite aspects of the internship was coral “spider” building and restoration - in just 3.5 months there was a noticeable difference in the coral growth at the project’s house reef. Additionally, I loved assisting in the hawkbill sea turtle recording and identification to help assess the size and movement of local population.

Joma, the project founder and lead instructor, is simply an amazing person! He has an incredible amount of patience and gives great direction as an instructor. His calm presence and skill in the water also allow you to feel safe and confident in the sometimes challenging dive conditions on Nusa Penida. His passion for conservation and dedication to the project also should not be overlooked.

Lastly, the community and friendships had a major impact on my experience. We had an extremely close intern group during my time, which made surface intervals on the boat and exploring the island on days off even better!

Pros
  • Amazing Staff
  • Dive and Conservation Skill Development
  • Beautiful Dive Sites and Facilities
1 person found this review helpful.
intan

Amazing Time with PROJECT LAUT!

Project Laut is run by a passionate and knowledgeable team who do everything they can to make your stay as enjoyable and worthwhile as possible. This is a genuine conservation experience coupled with some amazing diving and the chance to develop new skills. It's a great opportunity to meet like minded people from all over the world and life on the island gives you the perfect break from hectic life.
This has been an incredibly inspiring and formative experience for me. From the moment I arrived, I was welcomed into a family of people who care deeply about the work they do, and each other. The course has given me the most up to date methods and knowledge in the fields of marine conservation and research so I can go forward more confident and able. I came with no dive experience and now I am falling more in love with diving, and Nusa Penida each day!

Pros
  • real sense of personal growth
  • being able to learn so much about diving and all the ocean life
  • Improving my Diving skills while doing good work around the Reef
Sita

I had the most rewarding experience with Project Laut

I had the most rewarding experience with Project Laut with some highlights being Turtle Identification dives and Coral Restauration on the house reef! Work is very interesting and diverse. Most importantly, I felt useful. It is a motivating environment seeing the turtle database grow from week to week and watching marine life come back to the Coral Spiders we planted.

We are supervised by Joma (project leader and founder) and interns and/or staff who explain the work and give us advice and tips. Most interns come from Marine Biology backgrounds or would like to contribute to conservation in some way. Everyone brings something to the project, everyone is happy to share their knowledge and help this start up grow and make a difference.

Penida itself is absolutely beautiful, but one can definitely see the negative impact of tourism and rapid growth/development. Being part of this project - finding a sustainable way of traveling the world by staying longer and caring for the local environment whilst becoming a better diver is the reason why I chose Project Laut and I couldn‘t recommend it more.

Pros
  • Conservation Work
  • Committed People
  • High Learning Curve
Kees

Incredible experience at Nomads!

Before even arriving to Indonesia, Joma (lead instructor) helped me with everything I would possibly need for the internship. He was transparent, organised and available throughout the whole process and super professional when delivering the course. The program was really well structured and delivered at a comfortable pace, our individual needs and struggles were always addressed with care and attention and the projects were varied and engaging keeping everything interesting and fresh. I learned so much invaluable information about the economical side of diving, wildlife and how to care for the ocean which was a really big aim of mine. The program frequently addresses the importance of consciousness for the ocean and gives a brilliant understanding of all her inhabitants and how to care for them. For me all of this resulted in real personal growth and I couldn't be happier with the program.

Joma is an amazing diver and above all he made me feel so so comfortable. I knew Nusa Penida could be challenging but every moment of panic or doubt I had was instantly calmed with his professional and understanding approach. There was never a moment I didn't feel safe with him and I think that's so important. He really knows his diving and has such a creatively scientific mind it made the course so much more enjoyable & interesting. You can really see his passion in the course and the way he teaches it. His love for diving is as infectious as his personality and above all he has become a treasured friend.

I finished the internship as a much stronger and responsible diver, prepared for any situation and far more knowledgable than I hoped to be! I'm lucky enough to have dived in a lot of places with a lot of schools but here was by far my favourite and most memorable. My time spent and the friends I made at Nomads were truly unforgettable! Can't recommend the internship enough

Thank you Nomads!

Pros
  • Professional and safe delivery of the course whilst keeping everything light and fun
  • The best diving I've ever experienced with untouched dive sites full of gorgeous wildlife
  • I left with a real sense of personal growth
Cons
  • The only thing I would say is the housing arranged doesn't have the best kitchen so I ended up moving, but if you're not worried about cooking its a gorgeous spot with the best view!
lachlan

Nomads Internship Review

I came into this program with a rescue diver qualification and was really interested in learning and completing reef conservation. As well as doing some sick diving of course :)
This program was perfect for me. The team at nomads is laid back/fun but still serious when it comes to dive safety.
Joma (dive instructor) is passionate about the environment and thinks with a scientific mind. His conservation efforts in reef conservation and hawksbill turtle mapping are based on solid known science and solid progress can be seen.
It is hands down the best reef/drift/deep dives I have ever done and would go back to this shop in a heartbeat.

Pros
  • conservation
  • the people, both the other interns and the instructors
  • AMAZING diving
Kevin

The Good Guys (Dive Pros with Heart)

As a long-time journalist and university professor nearing 60, I'm fairly certain I was Project Laut's oldest intern, but also an example of their open and welcoming nature. Project Laut accepted me and put me to work for the month of June in 2022. As a PADI certified Divemaster, I was less interested in gaining credentials and more concerned about helping out with conservation projects. That happened almost immediately as the amazing Joma Dix, Project Laut founder, and Nomads Diving manager put me and fellow teammates to work, teaching us how to build metal "spiders" for coral restoration and videotaping hawkbill turtles to help map the health and movent of local populations. Joma is that rare combination of a passionate and patient teacher who is also an exemplary diver, instructor, and ocean advocate. In addition to the conservation tasks we completed (unfortunately abbreviated by a work project I had to return to), I also had some of the greatest dives of my life with manta, octopus, and giant frogfish encounters. The scope of Project Laut is small and very focused, but it is that clear vision and intensity that makes it so worthwhile -- and in the long run such an excellent opportunity for all who love the ocean.
One more thing: I helped Joma conduct the rescue diver course and can honestly say, I've never seen a more flawless demonstration of scuba skills and effective dive instruction in all my years diving. (https://www.facebook.com/kevinsites/)
Here's a short blurb I did on Joma for my FB page, which also included seven videos of our various dives.
As a dive instructor, Canadian-born Joma Dix wanted to do more to protect and rejuvenate the marine ecosystem where he now lives and works, the Indonesian island of Nusa Penida.
He began researching coral restoration on the Internet and adopted an approach which used readily accessible materials like metal rebar for construction and began cutting, bending and welding them into "spiders" that can be interlocked in honeycomb like structure on the seabed in which broken coral is re-attached and given a second chance to flourish.
The point here is that Joma didn't just complain about climate change and the substantive problems in his environment. He took initiative and acted, using the digital and tangible resources around him to make his patch of the world a little bit better.
When we grow cynical about the existential threats we face let's be more like Joma (and Elvis) a little less conversation a little more action.

Pros
  • Project Laut Founder and SSI Instructor Joma Dix
  • Sharp focus on three areas: Coral Restoration, Hawkbill Monitoring, Biodiversity Mapping
  • Excellent intersection of eco-friendly diving and marine science
Cons
  • Only one Joma (he needs more help)
  • Needs more investment by concerned ocean-lovers
  • Brevity of my stay (had a work project that reduced my time from two-months to one)
Ningrum

Project Laut Review

When I was researching for marine conservation internships during my gap year, I found Project Laut and decided to join. As I joined, the staff there have been helpful and made the experience more exciting and educational. I got to learn more about marine conservation and participated in various activities, such as building coral spiders, and diving. Project Laut also helped me get out of my shell and socialize with people. Without Project Laut, I wouldn't be able to understand marine conservation for my future university.

Pros
  • Friendly People
  • Diving
  • Boat trips
Natasha

Best 3 months of my life

I recently completed my dive master certification with Joma, and I can’t recommend the program more! Project Laut not only made getting my divemaster certification one of the best times in my life, Joma creates an amazing atmosphere for learning and person growth, both professionally and socially. With his help I managed to get a solid month of working solo with customers, as well as getting from 4 dives when I arrived to 104 by the time I left. Will 100% be back some day in whatever capacity I can!

Pros
  • Conservation project experience
  • Networking
  • Wide variety of diving conditions