Startup Internship Program - Thailand, Bali, Barcelona & Queensland, Australia

Start Me Up mixes in-demand skills learning with adventurous travel.

Join one of the world's most innovative educational programs and find out why our alumni have gone on to found their own companies & land jobs working for the likes of Google, Amazon and Mckinsey.

What we do
We combine entrepreneurial education with travel to some of the most beautiful destinations on the planet. Specializing in remote startups, our 1-2 month Startup Internship Program offers the chance to get hands-on experience working for a startup in several locations including Bali, Thailand or Australia, as part of a structured internship placement.

On our placements, you'll have the chance to learn anything from marketing, programming and business development to how to pitch to investors. You'll be based out of a world-class coworking space in one of these emerging international startup hubs.

Experience a startup ecosystem that's been featured by the BBC, CNBC, CNN, Lonely Planet, The Guardian and Forbes.

Charles-Éric

Amazing experience!!!

I decided to do the 1 month Internship in Bali and it was a decision I will never regret! It’s a one-of-a-kind experience I would recommend to anyone looking to develop their entrepreneurial mindset. Helping a startup business gives you a lot of responsibilities which is very challenging but also the best way to learn. By working in a Coworking space like Hubud, I have met a lot of inspiring people and made some very good friends I could hangout with outside of work. There are also a lot of skills workshops and interesting events you can attend. Everything was well organized and Clare offered continuous support to monitor my progress. She was also very easy to contact at any time if I had any issues or just needed anything. Bali was just like paradise and after living and working a month there on my laptop, I realized that it is the kind of lifestyle I want to have.

Simba

Far more than just an internship

Let me be clear , this is far more than just an internship. Having interned in a corporate environment London , nothing can compare to the exposure that you gain through Start Me Up. Of course any internship is what you make of it , and who you decide to talk to , however Start Me Up gives you the platform to make connect with entrepreneur's from across the globe from Silicon Valley to Australia. The Start Me Up team support you through each step , from settling in Bali , to field trips to other Start Ups and skill shares, so if thats a worry of yours - relax! I was also really impressed by the time taken to match you with an internship that suits your goals and mentors that are invested in you. They really know what they are doing. The biggest thing that I have gained is confidence within myself and my skillset . I'm still at uni and whilst I have a lot to learn , this experience has taught me that I can add value through my fresh , young perspective. It has also taught me what I need to do, to get ahead in the job market , the skills I need to develop and how to navigate in the working world to suit my career goals. 10/10 Start Me Up , thank you.

Aishy

4 Weeks in Working in Paradise

The Start Me Up program was exactly what I needed. I was a recent graduate from university with some time off between uni and grad school. I knew I couldn't stay at home and do nothing. I wanted to travel, but I also wanted some work experience prior to going back to school. That's when I signed up for Start Me Up! Not only did I met such inspiring people on my journey, but I also got the chance to really advance my skills. I worked on social media marketing and several video projects for two different startups. In the span of 4 weeks I planned, filmed and edited 9 videos (more than I ever made in my university career). This one month has allowed me realize that my work was valuable and useful. I'm so glad I did this program and would recommend this to anyone interested in the start up industry. Also, Bali is amazing!!!

Kerri

Grow, Learn, and Have Fun Abroad

This program provided a really extraordinary internship experience. I learned a ton about business admin and marketing from great startup mentors, developed an entrepreneurial mindset from working out of one of the coolest coworking spaces in the world, and experienced a wonderful new culture by living in Bali for two months. If you're looking for a comprehensive, enriching internship that is both social and educational, apply for this program! I had continuous support from the program coordinators the whole way through. The accommodation was nice and it was great living with other interns. It will go down as some of the best months of my life!

Paco

Amazing Experience That Will Help You Grow

I participated in the 2-month Startup Internship program in Bali. It was a great experience and I recommend it to anyone who wants to do a summer internship, especially those who want to learn more about start-up/freelancing/digital nomad world and want to experience how it is to live in an Asian country. This experience has helped me grow at a professional and a personal level and has been a steep forward in achieving my career goals. I´ve also had the opportunity to meet lots of new people and make lifelong friends.

Abby

Better than a stuffy office internship!

I spent a truly wonderful month on this program, it had the perfect balance of work and holiday. I'm sure my time here was more enjoyable than if I had spent the summer working in a stuffy office in London!
I worked with with the CTO of a startup helping him code their website. I had very limited coding experience before coming here and now at the end of the month I am developing my own app! I have learnt so much and the work I've been doing has been more stimulating than anything I've done in a long time, I can definitely see myself becoming a digital nomad at some point in the future.
Al the Startmeup staff have also been very supportive, with weekly check-ins to monitor your progress and check everything is going ok, and they are always easy to contact via whatsapp at any time if you have any issues or just need a good food/activity reccomedation!

It was a bit of a pain for those of us staying in Canggu to keep coming up to ubud every time there was a group meeting or event, especially if it was just for a few hours in the evening (although it was appreciated that SMU paid for the taxis). Maybe occasionally meetings could be organised down in Canggu?
Harry

Nurture to grow, freedom to explore.

I worked within a Fintech start-up in Ubud, Bali. Really nice close-knit team to work with. Lots of support on tasks and equally fun work socials in the evenings. Weekends give you time to indulge in new and culturally eye-opening experiences.

Clare and Annabelle were fantastic throughout. Their unobtrusive and efficient support was quickly available whenever required, but never too needy. Thank you very much for an unforgettable experience abroad.

hi!
Nadhila Saraswati

My First Leap Away From Corporate Jobs: No Regrets!

I decided to do an internship with Start Me Up in Ubud the summer before my final year of university. I had hesitations about going into another corporate internship/scheme so I turned down placement offers from major companies in Europe. And I found myself working in bamboo hut with monkeys! Here I learned that there is a very different (yet dynamic and inspiring) work environment. I learned that you can still be fully engaged, productive and innovative while being in a sun-dress and flip flops. Here's a quick overview of what I did:
- Signed up for a Marketing internship
- Got a mentor from the Netherlands and we ended up launching a company in a week
- Learned coding, content-writing, web-design, copywriting and so much more.
Here's a list of things I loved most about the internship:
- I was always on my feet, because working in a start-up actually means hands-on work
- I met a lot of people with different stories and backgrounds to how they got into remote
work/entrepreneurship (and learning that there is so much that you can do!)
- The exposure to work life outside the office setting.
- I had time to work on my own personal projects (e.g. developing my blog)
Overall, everything was organised, well-structured and safe. I got so much support and a one-of-a-kind experience. I would highly recommend this to anyone as it's definitely great experience for your future aspirations and also for your personal growth!

Beatrise

Start Me Up: Bali - the experience I will never forget

I think an internship at Start Me Up is a great opportunity for everyone who wants to challenge themselves.

I have learned how to manage social media channels, engage with a social media audience and conduct outreach with social media influencers and journalists on Twitter. Moreover, I have learned how Google Analytics works - setting up, analysing the traffic and generating reports was one of my areas of responsibility. Furthermore, I was also involved in content creation, managing graphic designers and copywriters, assisting with B2B partnership implementation, setting pricing strategy, app testing and more.

So in case you are ready to work hard then an internship at Start Me Up is the one that you need! Of course you will benefit from meeting amazing people from all around the world, working in a cool atmosphere and getting familiar with Bali!

For anyone who is considering of going for an internship at Start Me Up, I would definitely say that there should not be any doubts – just do it. It was a very special time for me, which helped me to get a better understanding of who I am now and who I want to become in the future. It has helped to shape my vision of the work that I want to do, what are my strengths and weakness are and I feel capable of overcoming any challenges on the way. I will never forget it.

Neville

Review: Start Me Up (Bali)

Overall:
It is highly recommended if one has never been to Asia. Start me Up has good connections with the local people here at Bali and with various growing start-ups.

Start-ups:
I had the privilege to work with an emerging start-up (Fin-tech) based in Australia in Bali. The programme set me up with an interview and introduction with one of the 'bosses', not really boss per se, but more like a coordinator based in Bali.

Support:
We had weekly meetings (1-1) with Start Me Up to give feedback on the internship, and the general experience. They supported me all the way through, including when encountered with problems regarding life and accommodation etc.

Workshop:
They organised a coding workshop, which is immensely helpful to know about the industry.

Eleonora

Interning in Bali completely changed my career goals

The Start Me Up programme completely changed my disposition towards my career goal and ultimate life aspiration in only four weeks’ time. Interning for a Start Up in Bali ultimately allows you to uncover your courage to create, to put yourself, raw and unfiltered, in front of people. It gives you time to develop your own idea, and to realize you don't need a top position in a big corporation to feel fulfilled in life. You'll find that it's quite the opposite, actually!

Lea

Start Me Up: the way to go for any student that is looking for some amazing hands-on experience!

I'm almost at the end of my internship through Start Me Up right now so I conclude that this has been so much fun! I have done another internship before, so I already had some experience with interning, but getting that real hands-on experience at a startup teaches you so much, it's uncomparable!

I got on a plane to Bali to intern in marketing with a stock photography startup for a month. In the end, a combination of marketing, digital media, social media, Adobe programs, photography, (business) strategies and sales funnels became my daily job, every day was different and that is something I loved!

This past month has passed by so quickly and I'm excited to continue working for this newly launched photography platform as the Marketing and Community Manager! If you are looking for some hands-on experience, you want to get in touch with inspiring, entrepreneurial peeps but don't know how & you want to fully enjoy a city while living and working there: Start Me Up is the way to go ♥.

Monica

A unique way of discovering the startup world

So... on January, I decided I wanted to learn how it is to build your own company: what struggles do you face, how do you engage your team and make it grow at the right rate, what things do you have to be thinking on... And also I wanted to travel during my gap/sabbatical year. How could I combine these two desires? Then I found Start Me Up.
But only after being here working with an awesome team of australian developers, broadening my mind with insightful events in my coworking space and enjoying all the adventures that Bali has to offer, I realised HOW LUCKY I was to have all this. Until that moment, I didn't realise how special this was. Start Me Up has something to offer that is VERY VERY UNIQUE. How else could I have met a tiny group of three aussies living in Bali that had a revolutionary idea in mind? I tell you: Without Start Me Up, no way!

It just needs to naturally grow worldwide! It's got all the ingredients to do it well.
Ian

Who needs corporate when you can intern in Bali

For anyone who has only had corporate internships and wondering what working for a start-up would be like, this is the program for you. My experience in Bali was unique to anything I had done before. I spent one month in Canggu working from Dojo Bali co-working space.

StartMeUp was able to provide me with opportunities that I believe I would not have been able to attain myself. The exposure to startups and their founders was incredible. I originally planned to only work for a travel-tech startup, but as I socialised with the community within Dojo, I found endless project opportunities. I decided to pick up an SEO project and the business experience was second to none.

The best thing about living in Bali is the time spent outside of work. Frustrated by work? Go surfing. Need a place to chill? Go watch the sunset at the beach. Feeling Hungry? Hop on a scooter for 5 mins and find all types of cuisines available to you for a very affordable price. There are so many opportunities and the social/nightlife scene is great.

My highlight on this trip was climbing (Mount Batur), which was organised by StartMeUp. Setting off from home at 1am, we reached the summit at sunrise and admired the beauty of Bali. The people, the start-up scene and the activities make Bali a fantastic place to intern. For me, this experience has made me definitely think twice about going into corporate.

All aspects of this program are excellent
Ryan

My dream made reality

After spending a number of years pondering the idea of working remotely from wherever, whenever I stumbled upon such a program as StartMeUp. I was blown away by just how much I have learned in combining a lifestyle with work. Being surrounded by such a positive environment as Bali and working on projects and businesses that I am truly passionate about has given me an incredible work ethic to accomplish my goals and dreams. In have been placed on the start up accelerator program to make my business vision a reality in just two weeks I had a platform and will be beta testing with the local Co-working space before scaling outwards, it truly is an exciting time. Soon I will be back in Europe at university with 3 businesses all being run from my laptop. The future looks bright and I have to thank StartMeUp for not only opening the doors to this lifestyle for me but also to the network and knowledge it has given me in all areas of business and life. This is the future of work for those who don't think the traditional path is for them!

Honestly I don't see an area it could, I just wish more people took this opportunity.

About Start Me Up

Start Me Up combines entrepreneurial education with travel to incredible destinations like Bali, Australia and Thailand.

Our Startup Internship Program focuses on developing the key skills that will equip undergraduates and recent graduates with...