Startup Internship Program - Bali

Start Me Up mixes in-demand skills learning with adventurous travel.

Join one of the world's most innovative educational programs and find out why our alumni have gone on to found their own companies & land jobs working for the likes of Google, Amazon and Mckinsey.

What we do
We combine entrepreneurial education with travel to some of the most beautiful destinations on the planet. Specializing in remote startups, our 1-2 month Startup Internship Program offers the chance to get hands-on experience working for a startup in several locations including Bali, Thailand or Australia.
On our placements, you'll have the chance to learn anything from marketing, programming and business development to how to pitch to investors. You'll be based out of a world-class co-working space in one of these emerging international startup hubs.

Experience a startup ecosystem that's been featured by the BBC, CNBC, CNN, Lonely Planet, The Guardian and Forbes.

Josh

From Graduate - to StartMeUp intern - to Business owner

I’d just graduated from university and had an offer for a graduate program at the supermarket chain Lidl.

A lot of my friends were moving to London but I wasn’t sure I wanted to go down that route.
I was looking for something different then I stumbled upon Start Me Up’s internship program in Bali.

It was one of the best decisions I'd made. During my internship I worked with a company in Auckland that helps western businesses launch in China.

Their team is all over the world. They have people in New Zealand, Australia, Bali and Uganda and we all collaborated across timezones.

I was devising strategies to help them with business development by diagnostically assessing potential leads to generate custom approaches and proposals to turn leads into clients.

Before I came here I’d heard about remote work, since I’ve been here I’ve realised that so many people are able to work remotely. There are many different avenues - from marketeers and consultants, to people selling courses and startup founders.

It’s a great place to get an insight into lots of different ways of working. If you’re in a company you’re restricted to that one company’s culture. Out here, you’re exposed to a community of people who are forward thinking. This inspires you to think for yourself and about your potential to startup your very own business.

It’s a completely alternative way to look at work, and has opened my eyes to the possibilities your career can take.

Don't feel anxious about taking the leap, as the support you receive from StartMeUp goes above and beyond, softens the blows and gives you a very positive transition into a new community, way of working.

Thanks to this internship I have not only been inspired, but also supported to setup my very own Online Coaching Brand, something I would've never thought possible before.

Isabella

Incredible Experience

I joined Start Me Up Careers for the 2 months internship program in Bali where I worked remotely for a company in the UK.

I decided to join the program because I wanted to experience the digital nomad life and to gain work experience at the same time, to see if it was possible to create a balance between work, personal life, and travel.

The experience was great because I found exactly what I was looking for and it helped me to start my career straight after my graduation. The team is very supportive and they help you to get comfortable and to get used to the new culture.

The best benefits of the internship were to be surrounded by inspirational and open-minded people with different skills and to have the opportunity to develop your personal goals, enjoying amazing views in a tropical weather.

I highly recommend this unique experience to anyone who loves travel but wants to be productive at the same time and explore the entrepreneur life.

Rhiannon

An eyeopening experience

During my time in Bali I worked on a project developing an app that helps collaboration in co-working spaces. For the first part of the project, I was responsible for the design and UX of the app, so going from the idea to exactly what we want the app to look like.

The experience was absolutely incredible and I would definitely recommend it. For me, it was more than just an internship, it was the opportunity to do something different. I’m really into traveling and this program allowed me to do that and further myself as an individual career-wise. This internship has definitely changed the way I look at work. I never really realised that the world of remote work from anywhere in the world was possible let alone existed and it was incredible to have some insight into how it works.

I learn a lot on this internship, not just about UX and designing, startups and anything any workshops covered but about a totally new lifestyle. Working the hours you want, taking a yoga class in the middle of the day or going for a walk along the beach as a lunch break.

If doing something unexpected and out of the ordinary is what you're after then I could not recommend this enough.

I wouldn't have any real improvements I would just tell future applicants to go with an open mind, be prepared for challenges, not just skill wise but lifestyle wise.
Emma

Startups, UX, data analytics in Bali

I spent one month in Bali on Start Me Up’s startup internship program.

Working for a Start-Up allowed me to get involved within all aspects of the business. I began completing competitor analysis and market research for an Australian E-commerce business and as the internship progressed I was able to research digital marketing channels, plan social media and design landing pages using UX tool, Sketch.

I started the internship with little practical experience, so many of my tasks involved quite a learning curve! One of the main focuses of my internship was social media, so I learnt how to conduct competitor analysis, plan social media posts and research into digital marketing channels- all new to me. I was also Tasked with designing landing pages and emails, so I learnt design thinking techniques such as wireframing and how to use UX tools such as Sketch.

I also learnt highly transferable skills such as time management and self-motivation – which I found to be essential when working remotely.

I worked from a number of co-working spaces in Bali, most frequently the nearby Dojo in Canguu. It had its own café, swimming pool and a lively beach just 5 minutes walk away. There are always events and workshops to attend, as Dojo encourage skill sharing – a great way to meet other members and learn about new projects.

The Startup scene in Bali is so fresh and exciting. I met such a wide variety of people from freelance photographers and artists to coders and FinTech specialists. It just goes to show how diverse digital nomads can be.

Working with Start Me Up has been a memorable and rewarding experience. I’ll miss working overlooking rice paddies alongside amazing people, it really has been an opportunity I wouldn’t have found anywhere else! If you’re stuck trying to decide between work and travel - you don’t have to!

Charles-Éric

Amazing experience!!!

I decided to do the 1 month Internship in Bali and it was a decision I will never regret! It’s a one-of-a-kind experience I would recommend to anyone looking to develop their entrepreneurial mindset. Helping a startup business gives you a lot of responsibilities which is very challenging but also the best way to learn. By working in a Coworking space like Hubud, I have met a lot of inspiring people and made some very good friends I could hangout with outside of work. There are also a lot of skills workshops and interesting events you can attend. Everything was well organized and Clare offered continuous support to monitor my progress. She was also very easy to contact at any time if I had any issues or just needed anything. Bali was just like paradise and after living and working a month there on my laptop, I realized that it is the kind of lifestyle I want to have.

Simba

Far more than just an internship

Let me be clear , this is far more than just an internship. Having interned in a corporate environment London , nothing can compare to the exposure that you gain through Start Me Up. Of course any internship is what you make of it , and who you decide to talk to , however Start Me Up gives you the platform to make connect with entrepreneur's from across the globe from Silicon Valley to Australia. The Start Me Up team support you through each step , from settling in Bali , to field trips to other Start Ups and skill shares, so if thats a worry of yours - relax! I was also really impressed by the time taken to match you with an internship that suits your goals and mentors that are invested in you. They really know what they are doing. The biggest thing that I have gained is confidence within myself and my skillset . I'm still at uni and whilst I have a lot to learn , this experience has taught me that I can add value through my fresh , young perspective. It has also taught me what I need to do, to get ahead in the job market , the skills I need to develop and how to navigate in the working world to suit my career goals. 10/10 Start Me Up , thank you.

Aishy

4 Weeks in Working in Paradise

The Start Me Up program was exactly what I needed. I was a recent graduate from university with some time off between uni and grad school. I knew I couldn't stay at home and do nothing. I wanted to travel, but I also wanted some work experience prior to going back to school. That's when I signed up for Start Me Up! Not only did I met such inspiring people on my journey, but I also got the chance to really advance my skills. I worked on social media marketing and several video projects for two different startups. In the span of 4 weeks I planned, filmed and edited 9 videos (more than I ever made in my university career). This one month has allowed me realize that my work was valuable and useful. I'm so glad I did this program and would recommend this to anyone interested in the start up industry. Also, Bali is amazing!!!

Kerri

Grow, Learn, and Have Fun Abroad

This program provided a really extraordinary internship experience. I learned a ton about business admin and marketing from great startup mentors, developed an entrepreneurial mindset from working out of one of the coolest coworking spaces in the world, and experienced a wonderful new culture by living in Bali for two months. If you're looking for a comprehensive, enriching internship that is both social and educational, apply for this program! I had continuous support from the program coordinators the whole way through. The accommodation was nice and it was great living with other interns. It will go down as some of the best months of my life!

Paco

Amazing Experience That Will Help You Grow

I participated in the 2-month Startup Internship program in Bali. It was a great experience and I recommend it to anyone who wants to do a summer internship, especially those who want to learn more about start-up/freelancing/digital nomad world and want to experience how it is to live in an Asian country. This experience has helped me grow at a professional and a personal level and has been a steep forward in achieving my career goals. I´ve also had the opportunity to meet lots of new people and make lifelong friends.

Abby

Better than a stuffy office internship!

I spent a truly wonderful month on this program, it had the perfect balance of work and holiday. I'm sure my time here was more enjoyable than if I had spent the summer working in a stuffy office in London!
I worked with with the CTO of a startup helping him code their website. I had very limited coding experience before coming here and now at the end of the month I am developing my own app! I have learnt so much and the work I've been doing has been more stimulating than anything I've done in a long time, I can definitely see myself becoming a digital nomad at some point in the future.
Al the Startmeup staff have also been very supportive, with weekly check-ins to monitor your progress and check everything is going ok, and they are always easy to contact via whatsapp at any time if you have any issues or just need a good food/activity reccomedation!

It was a bit of a pain for those of us staying in Canggu to keep coming up to ubud every time there was a group meeting or event, especially if it was just for a few hours in the evening (although it was appreciated that SMU paid for the taxis). Maybe occasionally meetings could be organised down in Canggu?
Harry

Nurture to grow, freedom to explore.

I worked within a Fintech start-up in Ubud, Bali. Really nice close-knit team to work with. Lots of support on tasks and equally fun work socials in the evenings. Weekends give you time to indulge in new and culturally eye-opening experiences.

Clare and Annabelle were fantastic throughout. Their unobtrusive and efficient support was quickly available whenever required, but never too needy. Thank you very much for an unforgettable experience abroad.

hi!
Nadhila Saraswati

My First Leap Away From Corporate Jobs: No Regrets!

I decided to do an internship with Start Me Up in Ubud the summer before my final year of university. I had hesitations about going into another corporate internship/scheme so I turned down placement offers from major companies in Europe. And I found myself working in bamboo hut with monkeys! Here I learned that there is a very different (yet dynamic and inspiring) work environment. I learned that you can still be fully engaged, productive and innovative while being in a sun-dress and flip flops. Here's a quick overview of what I did:
- Signed up for a Marketing internship
- Got a mentor from the Netherlands and we ended up launching a company in a week
- Learned coding, content-writing, web-design, copywriting and so much more.
Here's a list of things I loved most about the internship:
- I was always on my feet, because working in a start-up actually means hands-on work
- I met a lot of people with different stories and backgrounds to how they got into remote
work/entrepreneurship (and learning that there is so much that you can do!)
- The exposure to work life outside the office setting.
- I had time to work on my own personal projects (e.g. developing my blog)
Overall, everything was organised, well-structured and safe. I got so much support and a one-of-a-kind experience. I would highly recommend this to anyone as it's definitely great experience for your future aspirations and also for your personal growth!

Beatrise

Start Me Up: Bali - the experience I will never forget

I think an internship at Start Me Up is a great opportunity for everyone who wants to challenge themselves.

I have learned how to manage social media channels, engage with a social media audience and conduct outreach with social media influencers and journalists on Twitter. Moreover, I have learned how Google Analytics works - setting up, analysing the traffic and generating reports was one of my areas of responsibility. Furthermore, I was also involved in content creation, managing graphic designers and copywriters, assisting with B2B partnership implementation, setting pricing strategy, app testing and more.

So in case you are ready to work hard then an internship at Start Me Up is the one that you need! Of course you will benefit from meeting amazing people from all around the world, working in a cool atmosphere and getting familiar with Bali!

For anyone who is considering of going for an internship at Start Me Up, I would definitely say that there should not be any doubts – just do it. It was a very special time for me, which helped me to get a better understanding of who I am now and who I want to become in the future. It has helped to shape my vision of the work that I want to do, what are my strengths and weakness are and I feel capable of overcoming any challenges on the way. I will never forget it.

Neville

Review: Start Me Up (Bali)

Overall:
It is highly recommended if one has never been to Asia. Start me Up has good connections with the local people here at Bali and with various growing start-ups.

Start-ups:
I had the privilege to work with an emerging start-up (Fin-tech) based in Australia in Bali. The programme set me up with an interview and introduction with one of the 'bosses', not really boss per se, but more like a coordinator based in Bali.

Support:
We had weekly meetings (1-1) with Start Me Up to give feedback on the internship, and the general experience. They supported me all the way through, including when encountered with problems regarding life and accommodation etc.

Workshop:
They organised a coding workshop, which is immensely helpful to know about the industry.

Eleonora

Interning in Bali completely changed my career goals

The Start Me Up programme completely changed my disposition towards my career goal and ultimate life aspiration in only four weeks’ time. Interning for a Start Up in Bali ultimately allows you to uncover your courage to create, to put yourself, raw and unfiltered, in front of people. It gives you time to develop your own idea, and to realize you don't need a top position in a big corporation to feel fulfilled in life. You'll find that it's quite the opposite, actually!

About Start Me Up

Start Me Up combines entrepreneurial education with travel to incredible destinations like Bali, Australia and Thailand.

Our Startup Internship Program focuses on developing the key skills that will equip undergraduates and recent graduates with...