• Indonesia
4 to 14 weeks
Industry
Animal Science Biology Conservation and Preservation Ecology Life Sciences Marine Biology Tourism Wildlife Sciences

Program Details

Compensation
Non-Monetary Benefits
Year Round
Apartment Host Family
Weekly Hours

Pricing

We have multiple packages available depending on your current diving level with an average of $355 USD / week

All packages include accommodation, listed diving and ecological courses and workshops, airport pick up and transfer on arrival, 2 program shirts, lunch on double dive days, pre arrival support, VISA assistance and sponsorship, pre arrival online training course, scientific course materials.

Does not include flights, additional spending money, meals, dive master training materials or professional processing fees, VISA and renewal fees.

Check out our website for more details or contact info@indooceanproject.org
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals SIM cards Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

All packages include accommodation, in country transportation, 8 dives per week, dive master course, 5 specialty courses, additional workshops, program shirt, VISA assistance, pre arrival training materials, pre arrival support, lunches during double tank dive days.

What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Some Meals Travel Insurance Visa
What's Not Included (Extra)

Return flights to home country
In country spending money
Some meals
Travel and Dive Insurance
Profesional Processing Fees
Dive Master Training Manuals

Jan 10, 2022
Jan 03, 2022
22 travelers are looking at this program

Indo Ocean Project was founded by marine biologists and dive professionals to create a high level training and ecological monitoring program in the heart of the coral triangle.

Our field expeditions in Indonesia hosts international and local research projects focused on marine mega fauna, coral reef conservation, and marine policy. The aim of the Indo Ocean Project is to generate high quality scientific data to inform local mangers and stakeholders about the status of Marine Protect Areas (MPA), and to increase marine conservation awareness among the local communities and general public. We combine our research project with a dive master internship program to allow aspiring marine researchers or dive professionals to gain hands on experience in a professional environment while completing several internationally recognized certifications.

You don't need to be a diver or scientist to apply! So join our community of ocean warriors and kick start your conservation or diving career.

Program Highlights

• Complete your dive master course and 5 marine ecology specialty certifications in paradise
  • Immerse yourself in tropical marine biology and work alongside a team of award winning dive professionals and marine biologists
  • Practical hands on research diver training and techniques including ecological monitoring surveys, baited remote underwater video, marine megafauna photographic identification, coral restoration, coral reef mapping, mangrove and sea grass restoration...
  • Career stepping stone and CV builder, launch your marine conservation or professional diving career
  • Explore Indonesia's top diving destinations and swim with manta rays, sea turtles, sharks, ocean sunfish and pristine coral reefs in the planets biodiversity hotspot

Popular Programs

Become and Dive master and research diver

Description: For advanced divers who have completed most of their diver training before program start date.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver, CPR/First Air & O2 Provider courses prior to their program start date. Have a minimum of 40 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 8 weeks

Go from Advanced Diver to Dive Master and research diver

Description: For experienced divers who need to complete their rescue skills during their program.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver and Advanced Open Water Diver courses prior to their program start date. Have a minimum of 20 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 10 weeks

Advanced to dive master and research diver

Description: For divers with beginner knowledge and experience who have completed their first diving course with a few extra dives.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver training prior to their program start date and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.Minimum

Time Commitment: 12 weeks

No diving experience to dive master and research diver

Description: For applicants who have no previous diving experience and need to complete all the required prerequisites to complete your Dive Master certification.

Prerequisites: Comfortable in the open water, can complete a timed 400m free swim and tread water for 15 minutes, have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 14 weeks

Already a competent diver and focus only on the research

Description: For divers who do not want to complete the dive master course and just focus on conservation and research activities.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have a minimum of Rescue Diver certification, minimum of 60 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor. You must be a competent diver before entering this program.

Minimum Time Commitment: 4 weeks

Evan

Great experience!

I spent months researching different divemaster and volunteer programs until I came across Indo Ocean Project, and I’m so glad I did! The combination of divemaster training and contributing to marine conservation was exactly what I was looking for and even exceeded my expectations. The dive training you get here is above and beyond any normal divemaster program. The highly trained staff is very professional and a lot of fun. You will leave here as a confident dive professional and ready for your IDC.
And on top of the great learning environment, you get to be in beautiful Nusa Penida! There is no shortage of things to do with your down time and all the locals here are very welcoming. If you are looking for a program where you can give a little but get a whole lot back, and make new friends from around the world, this is the place!

What was your funniest moment?
Honestly so many moments underwater and above with various friends that I will remember forever! You really are having this much fun everyday
mario

Best experience in my life

What can i say? This has been the most amazing experience of my life. Passionate people that don't only teach you how to dive dive or about conservation but actually make you fall in love with it.
The program is very complete and detailed, doesn't.matter what is your starting point, they build you up to be a confident and competent diver while enhancing your knowledge about conservation and ecology of several animals and engaging practically in conservation efforts such as coral restoration and data collection.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If had to do this all over again i would stay more time
Hanna

Disney Land for aspiring Marine Biologists

After studying Marine Biology for 2 years at my University in an online setting, I decided I needed a break and to get some hands-on Marine Conservation experience. I came to the Indo Ocean Project having never dived and I completed the "Zero to Hero" program over a span of 14 weeks. I really enjoyed getting to fully immerse myself in the diving world, allowing me to become a confident diver through diving every day for 3 months. The staff at IOP are the most caring individuals who radiate their passions for both Diving and Marine Conservation.

IOP is like Disney Land for aspiring Marine Biologists as it gives you an overview of a variety of Marine Conservation topics, allowing you to find the topic that resonates with you most. After completing workshops on Sharks, Turtles, Mantas, Molas, Nudis, Coral, and Mangroves, I was able to discover a passion for Coral and Coral Restoration that I never knew I had.

The program is very well structured and I really enjoyed how every day was different and that there was always something new to do. The Divemaster component of the Internship is incredibly planned and incorporates Marine Conservation into the requirements of the course through Leading Survey Dives and BRUVs and getting to map a Coral Restoration Site. IOP brings together like-minded individuals from all around the world, allowing you to create incredible friendships within short periods of time.

This program is a lot of hard work but it can also be the most rewarding experience of your life. I recommend this program to anyone who's passionate about Marine Conservation and wants to take the next step to build a career in the Diving or Marine Conservation Industry

Don't take your time for granted, your time spent with IOP will be some of the best times of your life so live every moment to the fullest. Learn from every experience you have diving, bad dives are often when you learn the most. Lastly, keep even the smallest cuts and scrapes clean or they will get infected and you will have to be out of the water.
Yasmin

An incredible experience!

Joining Indo Ocean Project has been such an amazing experience, and I loved every minute of it! The team are so incredible and passionate about marine conservation and diving.

Being able to get my divemaster certificate while also learning about marine conservation and training as a research diver has been such a unique experience. Not only am I now a confident diver, but I've learned so much about marine life.

This program is amazing for anyone with a love of the ocean and who is looking for an adventure!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
My favourite thing about Nusa Penida is it will surprise you every day! I got to dive with dolphins, sharks, manta rays and we even spotted a whale from the boat one day!
Hanna

The perfect program for aspiring Marine Biologists

I came to the Indo Ocean Project after completing my second year of my Marine and Freshwater Biology program in University, wanting to discover if I loved doing marine biology as much as I loved learning about it. I had never dived before coming to Penida so I completed the “Zero to Hero” over a span of 14 weeks. I was greeted with open arms from all the IOP staff who radiate their passions for both Marine Conservation and diving. This program is truely incredible in the way that it brings individuals from all over the world who share the same passion for marine conservation, allowing you to create strong friendships within short periods of time. IOP is the perfect place for aspiring Marine Biologists as it gives you an overview on a variety of Marine Conservation topics, allowing you to find the area that you’re most passionate about. For me this was Coral Restoration, and moving forward from this program, I know that this is the area of Marine Conservation that I want to build a career in and I cannot thank the Indo Ocean Project enough for allowing me to find this passion. Doing my Divemaster with IOP in Nusa Penida has been the best decision that I have ever made and I recommend this program to anyone who wants to grow as a diver, conservationlist and person.

Your time with the program will fly by, so enjoy every minute and make the most of your experience. Oh, and clean even the smallest of cuts and scrapes religiously or they WILL get infected!
Selene

Dive master and research

Be a part of Indo Ocean Project was one of the best decisions i've ever made!
I was looking for an internship with both Diving training and conservation program, and Indo Ocean Project was perfect.
Once I arrived in Nusa penida, I realized that the environment was fabulous, the island was amazing and the people I met became my family during the months of the program and even after!
The program is amazing, with a lot of day by day organization with a perfect balance between dive master training and scientific research.
I came in Nusa Penida also to develope my Master degree thesis project, and every person of the staff has been and still is always available for any doubt or help, with their huge knowledge about the marine environment!

It was a fantastic experience and I would definitely recommend it to anyone; whether the main interest is to become a professional diver or to be part of the world of research and conservation, because, from my point of view, both this aspects are essential one for the other.
Also for a personal growth this intership was amazing , thanks to the possibility to met new people, from all over the word and share moments with them!
Elise

An experience like no other!

As a team of top quality dive professionals and scientists, Indo Ocean Project have developed an incredible divemaster and scientific research internship that has provided me with skills and knowledge way beyond that of a typical divemaster training programme along with incredible memories and friendships. An internship with Indo Ocean Project will not only be one of the most amazing times of your life but it will do wonders on your CV.

The structure of the program splits efforts on providing in depth training in both the divemaster and scientific aspects, with all practical elements supplemented by specific classroom workshops which allowed me to complete tasks with great knowledge, understanding and confidence. The manner in which aspects of the divemaster program are combined with research applications such as search & recovery, mapping and leading dives, provides interns with experience not only leading a team of fun divers but leading a team of scientists. By the time you finish your internship with IOP you will be performing tasks that seemed a big feat before like they are second nature, and your confidence in and out of the water will be enhanced massively.

Whether you plan to pursue marine conservation, or just want to become a good quality dive professional, I can’t recommend Indo Ocean Project enough. I’m addition to the skills gained as a dive professional, the knowledge gained of the marine ecosystem through multiple speciality courses and workshops sets you up to follow the path of marine conservation, but also allows you to be an incredibly insightful divemaster, being able to share your knowledge of species you see with customers.

Nusa Penida is also incredible! The diving is amazing, you will experience beautiful reefs and amazing biodiversity as well as varied conditions making it the perfect place for fun diving as well as training. The island itself is paradise and the local people are so nice.

I am sad that my internship has ended as I miss spending every day with my IOP family in and out of the water, but I am excited for the opportunities of the future now that I have the experience and training of IOP behind me.

Make the most of every single minute and take every opportunity possible to get involved because once it’s over you’ll wish you were diving with the team, or sitting in a workshop, or watering to mangroves, or inputting data, or even tidying the dive shop (in my case)!
Delphine

Best 3 months of my life!

Where do I even start? This internship was such an awesome experience! Not only did I became a well-rounded diver, but I also had the opportunity to get involved with some fantastic conservation and research projects. The team at Indo Ocean Project have become like family. They’re an amazing bunch of down-to-earth people, passionate about diving and ocean conservation. The internship program expected my expectations! And about the location, Nusa Penida is truly one of the most beautiful places I’ve been to…a true paradise island. The diving was incredible and I got to swim with Mola-Mola, sharks, turtles and some of the coolest Nudibranch I’ve ever seen. I wish I could do it all over again! If you’re wondering if this internship is the right one for you, stop hesitating and book your spot NOW!

What was your funniest moment?
There were so much of them! But my funniest memory was when Iris and I were diving at Crystal Bay and we thought we saw a Mola Mola but it was actually a school of fish taking the shape of a Mola. We laugh so hard underwater we almost ran out of air!!