• Indonesia
4 to 14 weeks
Industry
Animal Science Biology Conservation and Preservation Ecology Life Sciences Marine Biology Tourism Wildlife Sciences

Program Details

Compensation
Non-Monetary Benefits
Year Round
Apartment Host Family
Weekly Hours

Pricing

We have multiple packages available depending on your current diving level with an average of $355 USD / week

All packages include accommodation, listed diving and ecological courses and workshops, airport pick up and transfer on arrival, 2 program shirts, lunch on double dive days, pre arrival support, VISA assistance and sponsorship, pre arrival online training course, scientific course materials.

Does not include flights, additional spending money, meals, dive master training materials or professional processing fees, VISA and renewal fees.

Check out our website for more details or contact info@indooceanproject.org
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals SIM cards Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

All packages include accommodation, in country transportation, 8 dives per week, dive master course, 5 specialty courses, additional workshops, program shirt, VISA assistance, pre arrival training materials, pre arrival support, lunches during double tank dive days.

What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Some Meals Travel Insurance Visa
What's Not Included (Extra)

Return flights to home country
In country spending money
Some meals
Travel and Dive Insurance
Profesional Processing Fees
Dive Master Training Manuals

Jan 10, 2022
Jun 09, 2022
27 travelers are looking at this program

Indo Ocean Project was founded by marine biologists and dive professionals to create a high level training and ecological monitoring program in the heart of the coral triangle.

Our field expeditions in Indonesia hosts international and local research projects focused on marine mega fauna, coral reef conservation, and marine policy. The aim of the Indo Ocean Project is to generate high quality scientific data to inform local mangers and stakeholders about the status of Marine Protect Areas (MPA), and to increase marine conservation awareness among the local communities and general public. We combine our research project with a dive master internship program to allow aspiring marine researchers or dive professionals to gain hands on experience in a professional environment while completing several internationally recognized certifications.

You don't need to be a diver or scientist to apply! So join our community of ocean warriors and kick start your conservation or diving career.

Program Highlights

• Complete your dive master course and 5 marine ecology specialty certifications in paradise
  • Immerse yourself in tropical marine biology and work alongside a team of award winning dive professionals and marine biologists
  • Practical hands on research diver training and techniques including ecological monitoring surveys, baited remote underwater video, marine megafauna photographic identification, coral restoration, coral reef mapping, mangrove and sea grass restoration...
  • Career stepping stone and CV builder, launch your marine conservation or professional diving career
  • Explore Indonesia's top diving destinations and swim with manta rays, sea turtles, sharks, ocean sunfish and pristine coral reefs in the planets biodiversity hotspot

Popular Programs

Become and Dive master and research diver

Description: For advanced divers who have completed most of their diver training before program start date.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver, CPR/First Air & O2 Provider courses prior to their program start date. Have a minimum of 40 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 8 weeks

Go from Advanced Diver to Dive Master and research diver

Description: For experienced divers who need to complete their rescue skills during their program.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver and Advanced Open Water Diver courses prior to their program start date. Have a minimum of 20 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 10 weeks

Advanced to dive master and research diver

Description: For divers with beginner knowledge and experience who have completed their first diving course with a few extra dives.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver training prior to their program start date and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.Minimum

Time Commitment: 12 weeks

No diving experience to dive master and research diver

Description: For applicants who have no previous diving experience and need to complete all the required prerequisites to complete your Dive Master certification.

Prerequisites: Comfortable in the open water, can complete a timed 400m free swim and tread water for 15 minutes, have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 14 weeks

Already a competent diver and focus only on the research

Description: For divers who do not want to complete the dive master course and just focus on conservation and research activities.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have a minimum of Rescue Diver certification, minimum of 60 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor. You must be a competent diver before entering this program.

Minimum Time Commitment: 4 weeks

Carlo

FROM NEWBIE TO RESEARCH DIVEMASTER

Indo Ocean Project's Divemaster internship is such a mind blowing experience. Throughout my training the staff were extremely supportive and always valued my skills, accompanying me throughout my growth as a diver. The amazing network of relationships built in and around the program goes hand in hand with an unmatchable level of professionalism and availability that characterizes all of the staff. IOP instructors go the extra mile to provide the best training possible (instead of leading 1 mandatory Dive i was able to lead 10+). Additionally, the internship allowed me to gather important data to better protect the marine park around Nusa Penida (scientific dives are AMAZING!!!)
I arrived at Indo Ocean Project with 3 logged dives. 12 weeks later I've been on more than 100 dives and I feel ready to walk confidently into the diving industry. Thanks IOP 🤙🏽🦈

Rinaldi

amazing divemaster training program

Indo Ocean Project give you more than what is required to be a good divemaster --- you get trained assisting multiple courses and lead plenty of dives (I lead 9 dives!) plus all the conservation courses given by the amazingly wonderful and passionate staff & crew members. They are very professional, experienced, extremely organized, and some of the friendliest people you'll meet. You would get all the support that you need.

Nusa Penida itself is a heaven to dive in. I've dived along with manta rays, turtles, and even got myself hooked into macro photography. The sites themselves are very diverse; in the north you could expect a ton of fishes and sea turtles with occasional shark sightings, while in the south you could reliably expect multiple manta rays in one dive. You'll often be diving in currents and surges so you'll be able to dive pretty much everywhere once you've gotten used to such challenging conditions.

You'll also get to immerse yourself in Indonesian and Balinese culture, while have fun and party on your days off. You'll also have plenty of chance to explore the island with a motorbike, all the scenery is wonderful and to die for. Local villagers are very friendly, engaging and love to get to know you. You won't regret coming here for your divemaster training.

Pros
  • Amazing dives in very diverse sites
  • Networking with highly experienced people in the industry
  • Zero stress living conditions in a tropical island
Cons
  • You'll need to get used to the heat, bugs and critters since you'll be living in a tropical island
  • The location is quite remote so exploring will require you to ride a motorbike
Melissa

Unbeatable Program, Staff, and Location

Info Ocean Project is a truly remarkable program on the beautiful island of Nusa Penida. It’s the kind of program that you fall in love with immediately. You’ll feel like you’ve found a little family with IOP. The management staff are super supportive and encouraging. They create an environment that promotes learning and personal development. This is the type of place where you’ll make career connections and great friends.

The dive master training is thorough and comprehensive, going beyond the basic requirements to create confident dive masters. Additionally, the conservation training produces data that actually goes towards protecting the marine ecosystem, which is something you won’t find everywhere. This program is committed to, and actively working towards, creating better conservation practices. During your training you’ll get the chance to participate in dropping BRUVs (awesome), doing coral watch, and fish surveys. Some of the things you might see include stunning reef manta rays, sting rays, sharks, mola, dolphins and even pilot whales.

IOP engages the local community with both coral gardening and mangrove planting. They do frequent dives against debris for ocean cleanup, and go out for community cleanups as well. In your down time, you’ll get the chance to explore the beautiful island by scooter, seeing places like Kelingking, Crystal Bay, Lembongan, Diamond Beach, and so many more. The local food is fantastic and inexpensive, and the local people are wonderful. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking for career advancement and/or new experiences. Whether you’re starting from zero or coming in already certified, this program will set you up for success. In short, I absolutely love the IOP program!

Pros
  • Top Notch Training
  • Career Development
  • Manta, Mola, Dolphins!
Emilie

Amazing Divemaster and scientific diver internship

I spent 10 weeks with Indo Ocean Project, and here is what I liked: the quality of the training (with the divemaster program as much as with the marine conservation aspects), the staff that is really supportive, the quality if the dive center with who they work (Reeflex is super organized, with great diving material and great logistic).
Of course you'll have to work hard, but you won't regret spending your energy on it!
When diving after in Komodo, I noticed that my level in diving had really (really!) improved during these 10 weeks, and that I actually knew a lot about marine science (I was just a beginner when I arrived).

Pros
  • great workshops about marine conservation with specialists in the field
  • learning to collect and analyze the data related with scientific diving
  • you meet awesome people
Cons
  • you need a good physical health (but is this really a con?)
ARTHUR

BIRA PROJECT : A SWEET AND LITTLE REMOTE PARADISE

This was a great program with passionated and kind instructors, passionated manager, great diversity of dive sites presenting a nice gradient level. From easy shallow reef in front of the dive resort, to easy dirft walls, deep dives but also challenging current dives. Sharks, rays or turtles and beautiful underwater sceneries were always present! So, after these days if you let the relax and easy lifestyle of BluePlanet Dive Resort get into you, you'll find yourself bubbling in front of the sunset everyday with a nice drink in your hand and your head full of sweet memories. What a feeling!
Special thanks to all the team, I had a thriilll, BISOUS from France <3 !

Pros
  • HELPFUL AND COMPETENT STAFF
  • BEAUTIFUL DIVING
  • EASY LIFE STYLE
Cons
  • LONG TRIP TO ACCESS THE RESORT
Nicolas

IOP Family ! This is the way

I’m 41 years old traveler, I’ve seen a lot but being with IOP for more than 3 months was one of my best experience of my life.

I’ve been trained to be a divemaster, what I am now, from Zero. The scuba diving courses were very professional and safe.

The marine conservation part is awesome, we learn so much and practice as much. I’ve been teached on different topics as sharks, dolphins, Mola 🤙, fish families, mantas…

What is awesome is that everyday you have something to do and someone is telling you what to do hahaha

Jonathan

What a great experience!!

I've spent 12 wonderful weeks in the marvelous Nusa Penida with Indo Ocean and my expectations have been highly exceeded!

This was my third internship in the marine conservation field and it has been no doubt the best by miles. The diving is amazing, I've lost the count of mantas and turtles I've seen after the first week! In the 12 weeks you'll dive so much that you'll end up being addicted to It; you'll meet so many great people and learn a lot. It doesn't matter if you have a background in science or not, you will manage to learn a lot anyway and actively contribuite to all the scientific projects.
The most amazing part Is the staff, it's a group of really passionate, professional, extremely organized, awesome people ! Thanks to them the project is truly special, the activities and workshop they organize are incredible! If you have a bit of interest in the marine world they will boost It, they will show you the threats it Is facing and will always show different solutions to face the threats in the best possible way.
I highly reccomend this program to everyone.I think it can defintely be a big first step to a great life spent admiring and protecting nature, and at the same time simply a great way to spend some months!!
See you soon,
Jonny

Daria

What an absolute incredible and unforgettable time!

Trying to put my experience with IOP into words seems quite impossible, as no words can truly describe what an awesome time I had here!

For the past few years I have been talking about how much I wanted to get involved in marine conservation, watching all the documentaries I could get my hands on and just imagining how amazing it would be to actually be part of it… and then suddenly I came across a social media post from Indo Ocean Project. It was exactly what I was looking for, and I applied without hesitation.

As I already started doing my divemaster in 2019 at a difference place, I knew a little bit what to expect, but arriving here and starting the program I quickly realised that this was so much more than just a divemaster! So at the end, I was quite happy that I didn’t finish my divemaster in 2019 and could do it here.

My days were packed with so many activities, it was never boring. Apart from the regular divemaster training, we were having lots of interesting ecology workshops about Manta rays, turtles, Molas, sharks, corals and more. I got to learn so much from the incredibly knowledgable IOP staff! Apart from the workshops, we were doing awesome conservation stuff like dropping BRUVs, planting mangroves, conducting survey dives and coral restoration. I feel like a real conservationist now 🤓

And of course, there couldn’t be a better location then Nusa Penida! It’s such a beautiful place with the friendliest people. The dive sites are full of life, and it’s been indescribable seeing creatures like dolphins and Molas for the first time ever. The moments I shared with my fellow interns will stay with me forever!

I feel like my review sounds like a paid ad, so I guess I’m gonna stop here. All I wanted to say is that I would recommend this program to absolutely everyone who is interested in ocean conservation. You gain so much here - knowledge, experience, friends, advice, mentors, role models, inspiration and so much more. Just apply and see for yourself!

And of course, a big thank you to Lauren, Serena, Michaela and Pascal for running such an amazing initiative and sharing your passion with the world. I could’ve wished for better mentors during my time here. And not to forget the two most awesome dive guides Romy and Arya.

I wish I could do it all over again!