• Indonesia
4 to 14 weeks
Industry
Animal Science Biology Conservation and Preservation Ecology Life Sciences Marine Biology Tourism Wildlife Sciences

Program Details

Compensation
Non-Monetary Benefits
Year Round
Apartment Host Family
Weekly Hours

Pricing

$1,500 USD
We have multiple packages available depending on your current diving level with an average of $355 USD / week

All packages include accommodation, listed diving and ecological courses and workshops, airport pick up and transfer on arrival, 2 program shirts, lunch on double dive days, pre arrival support, VISA assistance and sponsorship, pre arrival online training course, scientific course materials.

Does not include flights, additional spending money, meals, dive master training materials or professional processing fees, VISA and renewal fees.

Check out our website for more details or contact info@indooceanproject.org
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals SIM cards Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

All packages include accommodation, in country transportation, 8 dives per week, dive master course, 5 specialty courses, additional workshops, program shirt, VISA assistance, pre arrival training materials, pre arrival support, lunches during double tank dive days.

What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Some Meals Travel Insurance Visa
What's Not Included (Extra)

Return flights to home country
In country spending money
Some meals
Travel and Dive Insurance
Profesional Processing Fees
Dive Master Training Manuals

Sep 08, 2021
Sep 06, 2021

Indo Ocean Project was founded by marine biologists and dive professionals to create a high level training and ecological monitoring program in the heart of the coral triangle.

Our field expeditions in Indonesia hosts international and local research projects focused on marine mega fauna, coral reef conservation, and marine policy. The aim of the Indo Ocean Project is to generate high quality scientific data to inform local mangers and stakeholders about the status of Marine Protect Areas (MPA), and to increase marine conservation awareness among the local communities and general public. We combine our research project with a dive master internship program to allow aspiring marine researchers or dive professionals to gain hands on experience in a professional environment while completing several internationally recognized certifications.

You don't need to be a diver or scientist to apply! So join our community of ocean warriors and kick start your conservation or diving career.

Program Highlights

• Complete your dive master course and 5 marine ecology specialty certifications in paradise
  • Immerse yourself in tropical marine biology and work alongside a team of award winning dive professionals and marine biologists
  • Practical hands on research diver training and techniques including ecological monitoring surveys, baited remote underwater video, marine megafauna photographic identification, coral restoration, coral reef mapping, mangrove and sea grass restoration...
  • Career stepping stone and CV builder, launch your marine conservation or professional diving career
  • Explore Indonesia's top diving destinations and swim with manta rays, sea turtles, sharks, ocean sunfish and pristine coral reefs in the planets biodiversity hotspot

Popular Programs

Become and Dive master and research diver

Description: For advanced divers who have completed most of their diver training before program start date.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water Diver, Rescue Diver, CPR/First Air & O2 Provider courses prior to their program start date. Have a minimum of 40 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 8 weeks

Go from Advanced Diver to Dive Master and research diver

Description: For experienced divers who need to complete their rescue skills during their program.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver and Advanced Open Water Diver courses prior to their program start date. Have a minimum of 20 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 10 weeks

Advanced to dive master and research diver

Description: For divers with beginner knowledge and experience who have completed their first diving course with a few extra dives.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have completed their Open Water Diver training prior to their program start date and have been cleared for diving by a doctor.Minimum

Time Commitment: 12 weeks

No diving experience to dive master and research diver

Description: For applicants who have no previous diving experience and need to complete all the required prerequisites to complete your Dive Master certification.

Prerequisites: Comfortable in the open water, can complete a timed 400m free swim and tread water for 15 minutes, have been cleared for diving by a doctor.

Minimum Time Commitment: 14 weeks

Already a competent diver and focus only on the research

Description: For divers who do not want to complete the dive master course and just focus on conservation and research activities.

Prerequisites: For candidates who have a minimum of Rescue Diver certification, minimum of 60 logged dives and have been cleared for diving by a doctor. You must be a competent diver before entering this program.

Minimum Time Commitment: 4 weeks

Alessia

Intense experience

IOP program was the most intense 360 degree experience of my life, I think everyone live this in an unique way according to the kind of person you are and the moment of the life you're living. I've learned so much about the person I wanna be, about marine environment, how to study it and protect it, how to dive, how to drive either 😂 and how to enjoy the island life. The only thing that I can say to you, if you love yourself do it, if you think you still have to learn to love yourself definitely do it!!!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
It was my last day of the program and I found myself surrounded by 50 dolphins and I saw them underwater.. MATING!!
1 person found this review helpful.
Sharmin

Divemaster Programme

Man, where to start? It took me almost a year and a half to get out here (thank you covid) but it was well worth the wait and frustration. The people, the diving, the culture, the entire thing from start to finish was just incredible. Everyday being immersed in the IOP family and wider Nusa Penida community, working towards conservation goals with like-minded people - it's the dream. This was my first ever big trip and I'm so glad I made it, because wow. At first it was a little hard to adjust (I'm a proper city girl) but in less than a week you just go with it.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
You'd think I'd have researched a little about penida's waters....but nope. So imagine my surprise when every other dive turns out to be a drift dive or with intense currents. After three months of this, I must admit I'm in love with my experience here and genuinely shocked at myself. I never thought I'd be able to handle half the things we did, but by God did I ever. Self growth man, it happened here.
Letizia

A wonderful experience!

Joining the IOP family to complete my divemaster and scientific diver certificate, has been one of the best choices of my life!!

During these 10 weeks i've achieved so much thanks to this professional and scientific training. I've become a confident and skilled diver, I learned plenty about marine life, I learned how to do collect data underwater and how to deploy scientific equipment. These skills will for sure become useful for the pursuit of my studies in animal behaviour and conservation.

Furthermore, I shared so many beautiful memories with the IOP family and interns, that I will forever consider them like a family!

I will never be able to thank you all enough ❣️

What was your funniest moment?
Currents can be pretty interesting in Penida. We had so much fun surveying in Mangrove site with the current pushing us in all sorts of directions hehe. It was like being a scientist on an adventurous rollercoaster.
Iris

DiveMaster in paradise

This 10 weeks was extremely intense and rich since day one.
Both professionally and humanly the program give me a huge amount of knowledges and emotions.
I learned a lot about the marine life ecosystem, with theoretical and practical aspect (corals, sharks, rays, turtles, mangroves...). All the member of IOP are very passionate by everything that they teach us, that give me the desire to learn more !
The dive in Penida is so wonderful, marine life is everywhere, full of life and fish (and manta :D). The most surprising for me was the reef because it is so heathy and colourful.
Finally, everyone here is welcoming, helpful for all kind of situation, funny and endearing. I met not only interns and staff but a big family with a lot of crazy, hilarious and intense moments that create this unique experience in Penida !

What was your funniest moment?
One of my funniest moment (because almost everyday there is one) was with another intern during a dive. We were in Crystal Bay during the mola season and she called me and made the sign for mola underwater. So I started to swim very fast to her and she showed me the “mola”. The shape was exactly the same so we were very excited but after approaching it we both realised at the same time that is only a school of fish. Then we started laughing a lot a lot, my mask was leaking so bad and I couldn’t stop. Every time we were looking each other we were both dying
So at the end I ran away from her to calm down myself because I start to consume all my air and swallow water. Now even when I remind me her face happy for this mola I start to laughter again.
Bestari Ghea

An Experience of A Lifetime

I joined IOP in April 2021, arriving with only 9 logged dives I did during my Advanced Open Water course, and after 2 months and a half I spent in Nusa Penida, I graduated as a Divemaster with 96 dives!

Not only I gained so much knowledge about marine science and conservation, but also diving theories and skills, as we dive almost every day on this island. This course helped me built confidence above and underwater, as a person and diver, with the help of the ever-so-friendly staff and fellow interns. Furthermore, I felt very useful and fulfilled because during the internship, I helped with the data gathering and felt that I contributed to the organization as well as to nature.

It literally is an experience of a lifetime because through this program, I was able to meet like-minded people from around the world, hear their stories, share our experiences, grow together, and build connections that very likely to last for a long time.

I came here after I quit my old job, thinking of a career change following my passions. Now I have zero regrets and have a job in marine conservation, all thanks to IOP!

Mette

IOP DM Research program

Indo Ocean Project is an absolutely unique and wonderful experience for anyone passionate about diving and marine conservation. It is a good introduction to marine science and methods letting you get a taste of marine conservation work.
The IOP staff are your family, very inspirering people and there to make sure you have the best possible time. The dive master is an adventure, not just to get you certified but to make you a great dive professional!
I will recommend this internship to anyone with the least interest in diving and the marine world.

Mack

Great Experience

This program was absolutely amazing. Indo Ocean Project takes the time and patience to train you as dive professional, but above and beyond the traditional standards that are set. They take into account your previous experience, your background, your interests, and your comfort and tailor your experience to your specific needs. Safety is always emphasized as well as having fun. You can come to train as a dive master and research diver as well as undertake a personal project of your choosing that they are more than willing to help you get started in the right direction with. The amazing staff along with the wonderful diving make for a truly unforgettable experience.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Absolutely nothing. The experience is different for everyone but if I ask myself if I would change anything I would say no.
Julien

An awesome experience

Joining this journey with Indo Ocean Project is unforgettable.
I did my Dive Master along with the research program in one of IOP's locations (Nusa Penida, Bali) and this was a great experience - both in terms of knowledge and fun!
What I learned over 2 months is just incredible - by joining this program you are diving regularly while working on science stuff.
Both aspects (dive/science) are handled by professionals always keen to share their knowledge.
The time I spent with IOP was incredible - so much fun over a couple of months. I can't believe it's already over.
I highly recommend this program - the persons who put it in place are some of the best living people I know.
As a plus - living in Nusa Penida (small island below Bali) is incredible.

Thank you Lauren, Serena, Michaela, Pascal and Arya for the past months.
And thank you to Harry, Roman and all other Reeflex people for the great experience!

Go for it, you will not regret it and will get to meet a lot of awesome people!
If you can stay longer - do it!