Projects Abroad Internships in Jamaica

Join a Projects Abroad as as intern in Jamaica! This is a unique opportunity to experience a side of Jamaica rarely seen on the tourist trail and provide sustainable help to communities in need.

We offer a wide selection of internships, including Medicine, Dentistry, Law & Human Rights, International Development, Veterinary Medicine and Journalism.

Thank you for your interest in volunteering Jamaica with Projects Abroad!

Kristina

Worthwhile Experience!

I would say the experience is worthwhile. Particularly because you are in Jamaica and not in the Jamaican/tourist resorts. Living in a parish with a host family, you really get to learn and you are forced to adapt to the local culture, the people, the food, transportation. My host family was great! On the weekends, it’s the norm to and you are encouraged to coordinate with the other volunteers weekend trips to go to the resorts, the beaches, the mountains and other cities across the island. This makes the experience with Projects Abroad even more worthwhile. Although the description of the Human Rights Internship in Jamaica with Projects Abroad is advertised as interns working alongside a human rights program officer, you don’t necessarily work alongside a human rights program officer. With my experience, I can attest that a “human rights program officer” is just that: a title. A better, less misleading title would be program coordinator/supervisor. Your supervisor doesn’t necessarily have any expertise when it comes to human rights studies. They function more as cultural brokers in that they can teach you about the local culture and what to expect. They will help you coordinate, plan and deliver your human rights presentations but you are expected to craft and write the presentation on your own. Which can be very difficult with very little direction given. I would advise any volunteer to bring their own laptop, if you have one. As it will make the research for the presentations easier. Not all of the desktop computers in the Projects Abroad office in Jamaica work properly (either they run slow, are not connected to the wifi or are not equipped with the resources that you need). I will say that I loved going to elementary schools (Grades 1 through 6) in Jamaica and delivering child rights presentations to children. We taught them about the UN Convention on the Rights of a Child with an emphasis on bringing awareness to child sexual abuse. We really did teach the kids things that they didn’t know before which was so rewarding!

After speaking with the other volunteers, some of them have done other projects through Projects Abroad in other countries. So the program service and staff support may vary from country to country and from program to program. With that being said a Human Rights Internship with Projects Abroad in another country may be better coordinated as well as better suited for you.

Projects Abroad Jamaica can best improve by improving its program function and staff support. Just because at times, your day to day tasks were unclear. Although, this does allow you, as the volunteer, to speak up and to have more of a say in what you are interested in doing in your day to day. However, this disorganization does become frustrating for volunteers dedicating weeks and weeks and months in Jamaica.
Response from Projects Abroad

Thanks for sharing, Kristina! It's great to hear you had such a rewarding time in Jamaica teaching children about Human Rights. Indeed, this is a subject that is very unknown by the population in general, which is why the help from proactive volunteers from around the world is much needed. Your assistance was greatly appreciated!
We also welcome our volunteers' feedback, which is why we will take your comments into assessment with our local staff in Jamaica - we are always looking for ways to improve!

Kayla

Amazing Trip to my Homeland!

I am of Jamaican heritage and hadn't been back for almost 10 years until I volunteered with Projects Abroad. It was an incredible experience, gaining valuable hands-on experience and education in the Mandeville Hospital. The Project Abroad is super knowledgeable, warm, and always there to answers any questions or calm any fears. Overall, this trip was a great way to give back to those in need while connecting with my culture at the same time. A++++

About Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast...