Projects Abroad Medical Internships in Kenya

Become a valued volunteer in Kenya with Projects Abroad! Every year we send hundreds of interns to Kenya to take part in projects that include Nursing, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Occupational Therapy and General Medicine. This is your chance to enhance your skills in a setting where volunteers can make a profound difference.

During your time as a volunteer with Projects Abroad you will have the opportunity to travel and explore Kenya. This is a beautiful country and we're proud of the work we're doing here.

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Select your own start date and duration
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Live and work in the local community
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

New Gap Semester Programs!

🌍 Cultural Exchange ⭐ Experiential Learning 📅 6 weeks+

Asia, Africa, and Beyond! Looking for an alternative to virtual learning? Our new Going Beyond gap semester programs are a safe, structured, yet flexible option to see the world while gaining valuable work experience and knowledge abroad. Half semester up to a full year - choose your own path and tasks. Next escape is November 8th!

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Popular Programs

Medical Internship in Kenya

Gain medical work experience by learning directly from doctors and doing health checks during outreaches.

Nursing Internship in Kenya

Gain practical experience while working in a hospital or clinic in Nanyuki and learn directly from nurses.

Occupational Therapy Internship in Kenya

Gain practical experience and learn directly from an occupational therapist while treating patients with special needs.

Ryan

Extraordinary, Worthwhile, Eye-opening

As an aspiring medical student in the United States, I wanted to get hands on experience in the medical field before dedicating my life to it. Projects Abroad provided me with invaluable hands-on medical experience that reaffirmed my desire as well as the experience of a lifetime.
When I first heard about Projects Abroad in Kenya, I was hesitant due to the financial and time investment necessary to travel to the other side of the world as well as the prospect of traveling alone in a developing country (This was my first time traveling alone internationally). However, from the moment I got on the plane until now, I have not regretted it for a single moment. The 3 Week Medicine High School Special in Kenya was well-coordinated and smooth: the constant care and attention from the numerous support staff members left no questions unanswered or unnecessary downtime. My coordinator and driver, Nelly and Nick, were amazing in their knowledge of the area as well as their attitudes: their funny, bubbly personalities melted away any doubts I had. The host family I stayed with was welcoming and accommodating to my diet and lifestyle, making me feel right at home from day one. The hospital staff were serious when they had to be (it is a hospital after all) but always happy to explain and teach the volunteers how to do each task.
Along with the medical experience, the cultural experience from living in Kenya was truly eye-opening. The afternoon/weekend excursions and time spent with the other volunteers was my favorite part of the trip, and I made many memories that will last a lifetime.
I would highly recommend Projects Abroads’ High School Medicine Special in Kenya. It is an amazing experience that has led me to want to go back to Kenya again in the near future.

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Ryan, thank you for sharing! We understand that as a young student you want to take part in medical activities to make sure that's the area you want to focus your career in - it's a huge commitment! That is why we arrange our Medicine High School Specials in such a way that you are exposed to medicine and can see how it is done in the real world so you can learn as much as possible. We are glad this experience reaffirmed your passion! Good luck with your future studies!