Social Impact Entrepreneurship Experience in Malawi

Malawi leadership team
Malawi leadership team
Presenting research findings at the local health clinic
Presenting research findings at the local health clinic

A Social Impact Internship in Malawi will expose you to hands-on experience of engaging with the local community to develop socially beneficial products and services aimed at tackling some of the world’s biggest social and environmental challenges.

Malawi, is a largely agricultural country located in southeastern Africa. Malawi is called the “Warm Heart of Africa” and known for its friendly people, coffee and tea exports. The internships are based in the city, and wider region surrounding, Blantyre, the commercial capital of Malawi.

Students who choose this internship have the opportunity to develop specific skills to compete in the global market, including working as part of a team on social impact programs.

Select from one of our Malawi-based social impact projects, including female hygiene and sanitation; supply chains for solar energy systems; data-driven health consulting; nutrition consulting and diet optimization; as well as microfinance and economic empowerment.

• Collaborate and build meaningful connections with local Malawi communities through a cultural immersion that ensures the delivery of socially viable solutions that actually improves quality of life.
  • Explore the integration of exponential technologies, such as data-driven AI consulting, for scalable and sustainable social change at a grass-roots level.
  • Whether you’re heading on a weekend Safari to go wildlife spotting, heading to Lake Malawi for a dip, or somewhere in between, we encourage our teams to fully make the most of their experience overseas with us, personally as much as professionally.
  • 24/7 support and training from experienced leaders, staff and external partners who are highly trained in risk and safety management, facilitating personal and professional growth, and business development.
  • Learn and apply a range of industry-standard entrepreneurial and innovative methodologies and skills such as Design Thinking and Lean Startup and experience applying them to a real world context.

We are a Certified B Corporation!

We are proud to operate within a dedicated community of global leaders driving an international movement towards using business as a force for good. As a certified B Corporation, we meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose across all areas of our business.

Shinyi

PEV Malawi 2020

PEV has truly pushed people to develop. Personally, I have developed myself as a person where I am more confident than I was before I went on the trip. Being put into a foreign situation with new people forced me to make new friends. These friends are now people who I care for deeply and are now my life long friends. Furthermore, I now have a deeper understanding on social issues and the importance of being able to empathise with people around us to build meaningful relationships. I would highly recommend this program.

Be raw. Always make the hard choices, even if it means spending an extreme amount of money for this program
Sarah

A unique blend of the professional and the personal

This project is so multilayered that I never would have believed I would walk away with as many new skills, friends or personal insights. The workshops showed me areas in my professional life where I could improve and I felt that I was able to do this fully supported by my leaders and my team mates. Living with so many people too was a wholesome experience with candlelit dinners and the most generous and caring environment. I would do again in a heartbeat ! Can not recommend this enough to students or anyone wanting to push their limits and learn a lot with heaps of people !

The living quarters are basic so that funds are directed to more important things so I would say be aware of that.
Joseph

Malawi February Trip with PEV

The trip with PEV was so much fun! I learnt a lot both about myself and others, as well as discovered a country that I would never normally visit. The project work was enjoyable and everyone in the house was so passionate about their project and what they were doing. I feel that one of the biggest aspects of the trip is living in a house with 30+ people, getting to know everyone super well. On the weekends, the trips are a lot of fun, we went on a safari, to a game lodge and on a mountain hike with an amazing view.

Sometimes the projects are lacking in clear direction.
Elyse

PEV Internship

This trip was such an amazing experience, living and growing close with 35 other people in one house was so much fun. I think that the personal and professional development I have gained from this experience can not be matched anywhere else! Malawi definitely lends itself to creating unique experiences for everyone. It is an insane country to visit and the fact that we got to live and experience so much in such a beautiful country is incredible. This is definitely a trip I would recommend to anyone.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
On safari we saw a cheetah! We apparently saw the first one that the guide had seen this year!!
Will

PEV Malawi Solar Review

Project Everest Ventures Malawi Solar project has been one of the most phenomenal experiences of my University career. I got to learn about social enterprise in solar energy. In a fun and engaging environment with a group of talented people. The leaders facilitate you to grow to your full potential. I engaged with local stakeholders, lead a team, rebuilt solar panels and conducted experiments to determine the best methods to grow the business. I have learnt a great deal and I look forward to implementing it into my future career.

Stay humble, bring a second towel, read the February handover and embrace everything.
Jina

An unforgettable experience

Being a trekker at Project Everest Ventures in Malawi was probably one of the most challenging and unique experiences of my life. It's a great opportunity to grow both personally and professionally, whilst earning university credit or work experience. You are able to immerse yourself into the culture, the project, and the people around you. The leaders will also do their best to facilitate your growth and reach your goals. I was able to make so many lifelong friends and memories, and I cannot recommend the project enough.

What was your funniest moment?
Probably Elise's bananas and bread rolls getting stolen by monkeys.
Leanne

Amazing experience

I really enjoyed this month, mainly due to all my fellow trekkers and leaders! It is rare to be living with 35 other like-minded individuals who are super motivated and driven. I learnt a lot about myself and went through a lot of growth due to the people I was surrounded by. It was amazing to see the real social impact of the projects we were completing in country, to be able to talk to our customers and understand their needs and wants. I was able to develop personally and professionally and feel more ready than ever to put my foot through the door of a real career-based job. Thanks for the good times!

Be ready for anything and be adaptable. Don’t shy away from any experience or opportunity and expect the unexpected.
Nicholas

Feb trip w pev

The overall experience was very rewarding. It was not without it’s hardships, however this only added to the experience. The weeks were planned out well and everyone was able to get into a nice routine. The weekends are left open to the students. And there are a lot a cool things to do in Malawi. The weekends made the trip a real travel and cultural experience. The best part is the the people that you meet. A lot of really friendly people that are really different and open minded. Learn a lot xx

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Elephant blowing it’s horn right as we drive past it on the safari.