- Puerto Escondido
View Other Details
Please visit our website for full pricing of all programs.
Become immersed in rich Oaxacan culture by living with local families and observing how local healthcare professionals are addressing the challenges of literacy, sanitation, unemployment, and access to healthcare. Join CFHI’s immersion programs to understand the relationship between socioeconomic status and health access, as the state of Oaxaca trails behind the rest of Mexico in its health and economic indicators. Partake in the following programs:
Intensive Beginner Spanish & Global Health in Mexico
Global Health in Mexico, Oaxaca (Optional: Women's Health Focus)
Global Health in Mexico, Puerto Escondido
CFHI participants may organize weekend trips to nearby destinations such the Zapotec ruins of Monte Albán. In the city of Oaxaca, participants may also shop, explore museums and art galleries, or hang out with locals in the vibrant Zócalo or main plaza.
- In addition to learning about tropical diseases, students will be assisting doctors in diagnosing and treating diabetes in communities that often lack the necessary resources to handle the disease on their own.
- Students may also get the chance to participate in Malaria Brigades, a common health initiative for malaria control.
- CFHI's rotations are designed to offer you clinical and observational experiences relevant to your level of medical education.
- This program is open to those who possess: * Conversant Spanish * Fluent Spanish * For those who are not completely confident with their language skills before participation in this program, we strongly recommend that you arrive at your program site
- Clinical rotations Monday-Friday, working with a local physician who has opted to participate in CFHI as a teaching preceptor.