We at Foundation for Sustainable Development (FSD) believe that we can drastically reduce poverty in our lifetime, and we are actively engaged in making a change. In Nicaragua, we operate in the regions surrounding Ciudad Sandino, Masaya, and Tola.
Unique among volunteer programs, FSD’s programs let you work directly in service-based internships in a broad range of fields. You’ll choose to work in one of many development sectors ranging from public health, education, gender equity, environmental sustainability, human rights, microfinance, and more. Our interns work directly in community initiatives for a completely immersive experience, and our in-country staff provide in-depth training on development topics and 24-hour support.
- Our sites in Tola and Ciudad Sandino are rich in culture and surrounding by coffee fields. Although extremely poor, the communities are rich in spirit and benefit tremendously from the work that FSD interns provide.
- FSD works with over 50 NGOs throughout Nicaragua to address a spectrum of development issues at the grassroots level. Our programs intend to catalyze the sustainable development opportunities in the region, and are great locations for more advanced partic
- Rehabilitate at-risk youth who face negative familial and societal pressures, addiction, and violence; and lead special education workshops for preschool and primary school children who are deaf or suffer from developmental disabilities.
- Gain grant writing and project management experience by practicing your new skills through the design and implementation of a community-driven development project in partnership with your host organization.
- Preserve indigenous cultures by assisting the building and maintenance of a local museum to house artifacts found from nearby archaeological digs.