Media Internship in Palestine

The Media in Palestine Program is a great opportunity for individuals who are interested in media or whose work relates to media who want to gain experience working with media in Palestine. You will have the opportunity to visit local radio stations and understand the challenges Palestinian media outlets face due to the occupation. Additionally, you will have the chance to learn Arabic and tour a number of historic and cultural sites in the city of Hebron. Through the program, you will have the chance to produce a short film about Palestine.

• The program addresses three aspects of trade and industry: theoretical, practical, linguistic and social.
  • Fluent English speaking guides;
  • You will meet with Palestinian journalists to dialogue about media issues in Palestine and ask them any questions you may have.
  • You will have the opportunity to visit local radio stations and learn how they announce urgent news while navigating the complexities of Israeli censorship and harassment.
  • Three hours of Palestinian Arabic or Hebrew lessons per week, with the emphasis on speaking.

Lilly

Media in Palestine

My name is Lilly McKenzie, and in July and August 2019 I completed the Media in Palestine Program in Hebron with Go Palestine. I'm from Australia, but have spent the last year on a Journalism exchange in Europe. I've always been interested in the occupation, and want to pursue a career as a foreign correspondent covering humanitarian crises. The chance to experience a taste of life in Hebron, and learn about journalism in Palestine was a dream come true.
Coming to Hebron, I had no clue what to expect from the city, but it was more than I could've ever imagined. Go Palestine placed me with a host family in nearby Halhul, and they welcomed me into their family with open arms. Every morning I would come to Go Palestine at 10, and have breakfast with the other volunteers before the day's activities.
The daily schedule varied day-by-day, including meeting with journalists, local NGOs, activists, and grassroots organisations, as well as exploring the city of Hebron with local volunteer guides. Of course the week is never complete without Arabic lessons, and teaching classes. I was lucky enough to teach basic media and journalism skills to both High School and University students. Working among local volunteers, most of whom are university students themselves, it's easy to get a feel for the Palestinian culture. People take great pride in hospitality, and just walking down the street, you will be welcomed to the city by shopkeepers. Everyone will try to feed you, give you tea, coffee, and juice, eager to take care of you.
Walking through Hebron, you can almost forget that you're living in occupied territory, save for some closed streets and empty guard towers. Shopping eating, and just hanging out in Hebron, you feel safe and welcomed everywhere, no matter the time of day or night.
This program has been amazing, and I have made many lifelong friends, and shared fantastic experiences. I hope to come back in the future, Inshallah!

Niall

Go Palestine media program

I had an amazing experience with the GoPalestine media program, I visited a refugee camp, radio station, met journalists, tours of the area, got first hand experience of the situation in The West Bank, learned a lot about the conflict and also had a lot of free time to visit the wonderful sites and places of interest to see in Palestine. The people are super friendly and welcoming and the food is great. It is very safe and I never seen any crime. The weather was fabulous and you will get to see some beautiful places. I was able to write articles about my experience in Palestine and it will help a lot towards my future career. I would highly recommend this program for any students or graduates or anyone of any age interested in the West Bank