• Palestine

Arabic
Weekly Hours
Age Max
Qualifications
  • No Qualification is required.
  • Interns are not obligated to know Arabic in order to participate in the program.

Pricing

This includes the following :

- Accommodation.
- Field visits & meetings.
- Day trips to refugee camps in Hebron and Bethlehem.
- Local visits within the city of Hebron.
- 4,5 hours of Arabic classes a week.
- Daily Palestinian breakfast.
- Certificate of participation, and a recommendation letter.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Some Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Airport Transfers Some Meals SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Jan 29, 2020
Jun 21, 2022
2 travelers are looking at this program

The Media in Palestine Program is a great opportunity for individuals who are interested in media or whose work relates to media who want to gain experience working with media in Palestine. You will have the opportunity to visit local radio stations and understand the challenges Palestinian media outlets face due to the occupation. Additionally, you will have the chance to learn Arabic and tour a number of historic and cultural sites in the city of Hebron. Through the program, you will have the chance to produce a short film about Palestine.

Program Highlights

• You will meet with Palestinian journalists to dialogue about media issues in Palestine and ask them any questions you may have.
  • You will have the opportunity to visit local radio stations and learn how they announce urgent news while navigating the complexities of Israeli censorship and harassment.
  • Day Trips to refugee camps in Hebron & Bethlehem and some areas of political importance.
  • All participants will receive 4,5 hours of Arabic language lessons per week.
  • Accommodation is provided for the length of the program, either residing with a Palestinian host family or at our 8th-floor apartment. Private accommodation is also available with extra fees.

• 9-10 rating 66.67%
  • 7-8 rating 33.33%
David

Highly recommend!

Loved Hebron and the media Internship that I did for the month of May! Although I wasn’t doing this in uni, I have a keen interest in media and the history of the West Bank. What I got to learn with this program was unbelievable; most of which I couldn’t have done myself. I had the chance to talk to the reporters, owners and managers of some of the regions most influential radio stations, refugee camps, and many independent journalists. I also got so much valuable local knowledge from travelling in Hebron. Also with the 2 days off in the week, I had the chance to visit the other cities and sites in the region.
The programme also offers other chances; with my Arabic lessons and helping students with English development I learned so much about the local youth culture.
I would highly recommend the programme, and would also add that safety was surprisingly not an issue at all. If any problems do emerge, Motaz is happy to tweak your timetable to suit your preferences if possible. If you’re adventurous and would like to learn about media in an occupied territory and the Palestinian culture, this is for you✌️

Pros
  • Great access to media organisations
  • Accommodation and full day program included
  • Optional extras, like learning Arabic and teaching English
Cons
  • Sometimes what’s happening may be vague, make sure to state what you’d like to do and should be ok
Lilly

Media in Palestine

My name is Lilly McKenzie, and in July and August 2019 I completed the Media in Palestine Program in Hebron with Go Palestine. I'm from Australia, but have spent the last year on a Journalism exchange in Europe. I've always been interested in the occupation, and want to pursue a career as a foreign correspondent covering humanitarian crises. The chance to experience a taste of life in Hebron, and learn about journalism in Palestine was a dream come true.
Coming to Hebron, I had no clue what to expect from the city, but it was more than I could've ever imagined. Go Palestine placed me with a host family in nearby Halhul, and they welcomed me into their family with open arms. Every morning I would come to Go Palestine at 10, and have breakfast with the other volunteers before the day's activities.
The daily schedule varied day-by-day, including meeting with journalists, local NGOs, activists, and grassroots organisations, as well as exploring the city of Hebron with local volunteer guides. Of course the week is never complete without Arabic lessons, and teaching classes. I was lucky enough to teach basic media and journalism skills to both High School and University students. Working among local volunteers, most of whom are university students themselves, it's easy to get a feel for the Palestinian culture. People take great pride in hospitality, and just walking down the street, you will be welcomed to the city by shopkeepers. Everyone will try to feed you, give you tea, coffee, and juice, eager to take care of you.
Walking through Hebron, you can almost forget that you're living in occupied territory, save for some closed streets and empty guard towers. Shopping eating, and just hanging out in Hebron, you feel safe and welcomed everywhere, no matter the time of day or night.
This program has been amazing, and I have made many lifelong friends, and shared fantastic experiences. I hope to come back in the future, Inshallah!

Niall

Go Palestine media program

I had an amazing experience with the GoPalestine media program, I visited a refugee camp, radio station, met journalists, tours of the area, got first hand experience of the situation in The West Bank, learned a lot about the conflict and also had a lot of free time to visit the wonderful sites and places of interest to see in Palestine. The people are super friendly and welcoming and the food is great. It is very safe and I never seen any crime. The weather was fabulous and you will get to see some beautiful places. I was able to write articles about my experience in Palestine and it will help a lot towards my future career. I would highly recommend this program for any students or graduates or anyone of any age interested in the West Bank