iXperience Lisbon – Learn + Intern Abroad

iXperience Lisbon City Exploring
iXperience Lisbon City Exploring
iXperience Lisbon Class 2018
iXperience Lisbon Class 2018

iXperience Lisbon is an intense 6-week, 6-credit* program for ambitious students who wish to learn industry-relevant skills and boost their CVs with an impactful internship, all while exploring one of Europe's best-kept secrets.

iXperience Lisbon offers two course options:

Management Consulting
Full Stack Coding

You'll begin with a week of immersive Global Studies. Then you'll hit the ground running with high-intensity classes that push you to learn in a boot-camp style environment. After two weeks of training, you'll be matched with a local company and tasked to work on one of their projects for three weeks. This gives you a taste of professional life as well as concrete deliverables you can add to your resume. More than that, you’ll get to explore Lisbon with a small-town feel, along with a group of students from around the world.

*Academically sponsored by the University of Virginia. Credit transfer depends on your university policy.

• An immersive, for credit course, academically sponsored by the University of Virginia.
  • 6 credits of coursework.
  • A guaranteed internship placement where you'll get the chance to use your newly acquired skills, add real value and boost your resume.
  • Incredible iX-designed cultural excursions, designed to help you explore and soak up Lisbon's top attractions.
  • The opportunity to meet students from around the world and make new friends you'll keep for life.

2020 Early Applications Opening Soon!

Skip the rush. Be the first to know when applications open.

Anonymous

Unforgettable Summer

I was a bit nervous at first because I had found this program through Facebook. However, the course was definitely challenging and being in Lisbon was an amazing experience. I'm grateful for the rigor provided as the program didn't just encourage pure memorization of CS concepts but rather the applications and self-learning (ex. asking instructors, Google, and peers). More importantly, this course empowered me to keep learning and creating as personal projects are great ways to dive into a topic. I also made great friends from other universities and explored and ate through what Portugal had to offer, from the seafood delicacies to amazing chicken at Frangasqueira Nacional. Lisbon is such a walking-friendly town and the cost of living is quite reasonable. Honestly, this summer was the perfect balance of work and fun.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would start exploring Lisbon more. Not just Lisbon, but also other cities like Porto.
Joëlle

A great experience!

I think it was a great learning experience, not just academically speaking, but personally as well. I took the data science course and I learned quite a lot but I suggest you learn a bit of python (or the language you will use) before coming because you will not be able to keep up if you don't. Learning so much content in such a short amount of time is not ideal. There are definitely a lot of things they should improve but I am glad I was exposed to important aspects of machine learning and that I got to apply some of the concepts through the internship. It's a great opportunity if it's what you need.

It was also a great experience to learn more about another country, others and especially yourself!! You will definitely grow as a person!!

Get ready to walk!! A lot of things are a little far from the hostel we were at and the streets are pretty steep. We had to walk a lot!
Response from iXperience

Hi Joëlle

Thanks for the helpful feedback. Glad that you enjoyed the course despite the challenges. We will definitely take your feedback into account for our 2020 program. So great to hear about your personal growth too.

Katherine

An Amazing Summer in Portugal

When I found out about iXperience and the amazing opportunity it provided to not only study but also work abroad, I was immediately sold. I love traveling and exploring new places, but I thought that I needed to get some real work experience the summer after my sophomore year of college. iXperience allowed me to combine both in one summer. I met some of the most amazing people, explored some really cool spots around Portugal and made so many great memories. Our classes were interesting, but never too intense or overloaded with work, and the internships provided so many cool opportunities to learn a huge variety of skills. As well, the program made sure to provide us with plenty of opportunities to explore Lisbon on our own and through outings they planned. I will never forget this truly incredible summer with iXperience.

If I could improve one thing about this program, I would simply ask for a little more information before I got there. I did not know very much about the internships or the class before I got there. It would've been nice to know what the internship possibilities might be before the program started.
Response from iXperience

Thanks for the epic review, Katherine! We're so glad that you had an unforgettable summer with us. We loved having you a part of the program.

John

Great Experience at iXperience!

I thought that overall iXperience was an incredibly enriching experience. I took the full stack coding course and learned so much (learning how to build front/back-end applications/APIs/databases/applications in multiple frameworks etc...). The administration was run very well. The program director and legal assistant lived very close to the accommodation and were able to tend to students very quickly should the need arise. Students mainly worked on projects/assignments throughout the program. However, weekends are free, and students are allowed to explore the surrounding towns as they wish. iXperience even provides included excursions to certain sites as well. Would highly recommend to anyone interested in getting into web/software development!

The dining and transportation could have been improved upon.
Alex

Let IXpereince by your experience!

Ixperience is a program that I recommend to everybody as I truly believe that it is an opportunity that can not be passed up. I learned more in the 6 weeks of classes than I have in my years of college combined. Although it was rigorous, the teachers all wanted you to succeed, and were all willing to stay late and meet with you early to ensure that you understand everything. IXpereince put in a lot of thought into building a well rounded community of smart and engaging people. There was not a single person that I could not stay up late talking to, or that I was not willing to go out to an event in Lisbon to. The friends I made from this program are ones that I will carry through life. Finally, the administration was very responsive to any problems or concerns that I had. Not only were the very responsive, but they actively seeked to solve the problem at hand. They were easy to talk to and became my friend at the end of the trip.

I think the quality of the internship could be improved.
Response from iXperience

Hey Alex, so awesome to hear that you had such a great time at iX Lisbon. We really appreciated having you there.

Lucy

Intensive but Fun!

Doing iXperience was such a cool experience! Not only were we studying abroad in a cool country (ie. Portugal), but we were learning relevant skills and getting real work experience.

I learned a lot about how different other countries could be, as I hadn't traveled much before this. I also learned a lot of major-related skills that will help me in the future when looking for another internship or a full-time job.

The classes were very intensive: we went to class 5 days a week for about 2 weeks, then 2 days a week for about 4 weeks. In that timespan, we learned multiple technologies and built an entire web application with many different functionalities. It was a lot of work, but I managed to learn a lot about full stack. Afterwards, the internship during the 4 week period, my fellow interns and I created another functional web application using those technologies we had learned. It was a great learning experience.

Kate

Work hard, play hard!

Six-weeks ago, I wouldn’t have been able to even tell you what a consultant does, now merely forty-two days later I am one. When I first heard about iX, from my sister, I thought it sounded too good to be true. How could I possibly be able to be placed into a consulting internship after only 2 weeks of class, when previously I knew nothing? There’s no way I would be prepared enough, right? Wrong! The iX experience is hands on and intense in the best way possible. On the first day of class I learned what a consultant does, what the consulting industry is like, learned how to define a client issue, and got assigned to a project team. Day one, I was already beginning to do the work of a consultant. A week later my team, composed of students from across the globe, and I had created a proposal and presented it to the class. That’s CRAZY! Now four weeks later, at the end of my six-week program, I’m working on my final presentation to present to my client. During my internship, my team and I were tasked with quantitatively measuring the sustainable impact of an eco-hostel in Lisbon. We researched best practices, created KPIs, and discovered the requirements necessary for the hostel to become Green Key certified. We were able to create sustainability trackers that the hostel will implement and use to increase their sustainability in the future as well as tangibly show their progress to investors. Now, that I’m at the end, I’m sad to go. I’m going to miss all the amazing people in the program and the beautiful city of Lisbon. My favorite excursion was a trip to Carcavelos for surfing lessons! Besides a few over achievers (lol), no one knew how to surf before the excursion. We showed up, put on our ridiculous looking wetsuits, and carried our boards down to the beach. We spent 10 minutes running around and stretching, in our wet suits I might add, which made us look ridiculous hahah, in order to get our blood pumping. Then they gave us a lesson on the beach where we all attempted to “pop up” into our surfing stances before being released to try it on the water. As I’m sure you can probably imagine, we fell A LOT. But, by the end of the excursion everyone had stood up and surfed for at least 2 seconds, so I’d call it a success. I’ve learned so much, gotten to know so many different people, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Octopus! It's everywhere and the Portuguese pride themselves on creating very tender octopus dishes. It was DELICIOUS to say the least:)
Ilana

Literally the greatest summer of my life

I went to Lisbon for iX Summer 2018 and it was honestly the greatest experience. It was my first time in Europe, I knew no one going into it, and I felt unprepared for what we would be learning. From the moment I arrived, however, the program directors made me feel very comfortable and at ease and the whole program went so smoothly. Our teacher was very thorough and genuinely cared about us learning the subject, not just getting some arbitrary grade. My internship was a great opportunity to learn about how data science is used in an actually company and I got along really well with all my co-workers. Our class got really close by the end of it and we all still keep in contact to this day. I got to spend the summer with passionate, like-minded college students from across the country and abroad in an incredible city while learning career-building skills. I cannot imagine a better study/intern abroad program.

Response from iXperience

Hi Ilana

It was so awesome to have you in our first Lisbon program! I'm so glad that you felt comfortable from the start and it's great to hear that you made friends that you're still in touch with. Love that you got a real feel for the application of Data Science in a company too. We hope to have you back with us soon :)

Tarah

Diyan

The greatest four weeks of my life

Doing Ixperience in Lisbon was truly the greatest four weeks of my life. You are surrounded by brilliant, career-driven students who constantly challenge one another in the classroom and then exploring Lisbon in summer together in between makes all the hard work worth it.

The course I took (management consulting) is intense and fast-paced but I was so surprised at the quality of work I produced when put under pressure to deliver daily deadlines. I found I kept up with the pace with help of my very skilled and enthusiastic teaching assistant, who constantly motivated the class. Now that I am back home, this course has instilled a new drive to kick-start my career upon graduation and I can't wait to apply my new skill-set in the workplace.

Most nights there was something epic planned by the IX team - whether it be a unique traditional Portuguese dinner, a sunset cruise, a classy rooftop bar event or even dancing lessons - this was motivation enough to complete my homework efficiently and join in on the fun. Not to mention - on weekends the team took us on excursions such as: Learning to surf, rock jumping and canoeing, castle tours and wine tasting and of course day trips to the magnificent Portuguese beaches.

Discovering and embracing Lisbon with Ixperience was incredible and the friends I made on the course are surely friends for life. My only regret is that I didn't stay for the four week internship because I really got attached to the place and all the people.