Multiple Locations +2

What's Not Included
Airfare Some Meals Transportation Visa
Sep 19, 2019
Oct 28, 2019

Our Custom Internships in Rwanda and Kenya enable you to develop and apply your theoretical and practical knowledge in a supervised placement. You are matched with a local host organization according to your level of study, existing skills and desired fields. A specific internship plan is developed in advance of each placement. Academic credits are available through our School of Record, and you will be expected to complete some key course requirements.

In addition to the placement, you will benefit from a pre-placement orientation, a weekly classroom or field session with interdisciplinary training, and a weekly formal supervisory meeting.

While we cannot guarantee that we will find a suitable host organization for you, placements are typically available in a range of fields, year-round, with flexible durations (minimum 4 weeks).

Program Highlights

• Combine a highly relevant global experience with professional skills development and cultural immersion.
  • Work with local colleagues and develop your intercultural communication skills, confidence and adaptability.
  • Gain new insight through a unique African perspective on development and nation building.
  • Explore the progress and challenges towards development of a leading African success story.
  • Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.

Mariah

Rwanda Internship in Public Health

Last year I completed my internship in Rwanda and decided that I wanted to go back to complete my capstone project again with a civil society organization. I was happy to use GEI both times that I went. They are always available if you have a question, and I enjoyed the periodic meetings with them throughout the 8 weeks I was there. We met to discuss how things were going. In addition, I found it helpful that they helped me obtain the student visa through the immigration office as I wouldn't have wanted to do that by myself. They also provide a nice map of Kigali and brochures that are filled with things to do and what restaurants to go to depending on the food you want. Kigali is also very clean and safe which was nice. I enjoyed staying with my hose family both times as well, and liked learning more about the Rwandan culture with them.

To always be open about your adventures abroad. Don't expect things to go the way you have planned, and learn to be flexible and adaptable and know that in the end everything will work out!
Charles

An unforgettable time!

When I arrived in Nairobi for the start of the program, I was greeted warmly and at that moment I already knew I was home for the next 8 weeks. The coordinators Eric and Esther are amazing because they help you adjust into the culture. This internship program was the least expensive out of all other programs I was researching. I loved my colleagues and my host organization! Of course, it took me some time to adapt to the work culture over there but I believe this is part of the experience. As I want to pursue a career in ICT, it was very informative to intern with a small tech company. I really enjoyed the conversations I had with my supervisors and colleagues, I think I significantly improved my communication and other soft skills. From Nairobi, there is so much to do in the weekends: safari, beach, cultural tours!
I can't wait to visit Kenya again!

Bring a small gift from your country to your home family! They are fantastic and super curious about where you come from.