Projects Abroad Internships in Senegal

Projects Abroad intern in Microfinance project in Senegal
Projects Abroad intern in Microfinance project in Senegal

Get some hands-on experience in a developing community in Senegal! Projects Abroad offers internship opportunities available for students on all levels. We have Microfinance programs as well as Law & Human Rights internships! Visit our website for more details.

Join Us On The Global Gap Year Of A Lifetime

🌍 Explore the world ⭐ Add valuable skills to your resume 📅 28 weeks of travel

This really is the opportunity of a lifetime! - We'll take you to five different countries around the world, where you'll gain a whole host of experience to make your resume shine & contribute to a better world.

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Popular Programs

Micro-finance Internship in Senegal

Help adults who have lived on the street build sustainable businesses and gain financial independence.

Human Rights Internship in Senegal

Gain practical human rights work experience while promoting human rights and social justice in West Africa

Sean

Microfinance where credit is needed most

I learned so much in my three and a half months in Senegal doing microfinance work. Saint Louis is a very nice city by Senegal standards and the program staff were absolutely wonderful. The food is good and they do a good job of giving you meaningful tasks and showing you what life is really like for the people you work with. Go out and explore the beautiful opportunities available and you will have a great time. The food is a bit bland and repetitive but is a good insight into how people live in Senegal every day. My cohort's host families were nice and we developed good relationships over our time there. I would recommend this program for college aged students who are interested in post-colonial Africa and want to experience how the majority of people live in the global south.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
There is a dish called Mafe, a peanut sauce with meat over rice. When I first came, my stomach could not handle it, but by the end it was one of my favorite dishes.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hello Sean,
Thanks for leaving your review about our Micro-Finance project in Senegal. It’s warming to hear about your story, what an experience you’ve had – I’m sure you’ll remember it for a lifetime! You are most welcome to volunteer or Intern with us in the future.

Moctar Ba, Country Director for Senegal

Read my full story
rico4eva

French in Senegal

I had a wonderful time with Projects Abroad in Senegal. The only reason I didn't rate it 100% across the board is because I didn't want to be too biased. I went to Senegal to take a French class for 4 weeks. When I went there, I had just finished the third semester of French at University and would be starting my fourth semester of French after visiting Senegal for 5 weeks (1 week vacation to explore Dakar after 4 weeks of classes). When I returned to the US, even my French professor noted my significant change in comprehension of the language. The professor I had in Senegal pushed me and challenged me. We would meet in a local high school and either use the teacher's lounge or an empty classroom. I learned so much about French and Senegal (culture, history, society, everything) from him and my host family, it was wonderful. Also, the mix of volunteers from countries, more than just the US, was great as well. Senegal is a warm and welcoming country and Projects-Abroad does a great job with volunteers. I've traveled before and felt comfortable stepping into this situation, but if it had been my first time overseas, I would have felt very safe. The staff was always available and they were very welcoming and accommodating with everything.