Education Internships in Cape Town

If you are interested in pursuing a career in education, you will likely want to spend as much time as possible in a classroom environment under the supervision of a qualified teacher. A South Africa student teaching internship offers you the ideal opportunity to gain practical international teaching experience while engaging South Africa’s spectacular culture.

We have placed students in a variety of different school environments working with children of all ages. This includes pre-school, primary, senior elementary, high schools, and special needs schools.

South African school holidays do vary throughout the year (the longest breaks are in June/July) so be sure to speak with a VACorps admissions advisor to see if your dates match ours for the best time of year to join one of our education internship programs. You can do so at admissions@vacorps.com or on the website www.vacorps.com/apply

• Tailored internship placement with your choice of classroom age
  • 24/7 On-the-Ground Support
  • Weekly Cultural Excursions
  • Program Housing
  • Weekly Culture Series

McKown

Formative Life Experience

I had a truly formative life experience during my time as an intern with Volunteer Adventure Corps. Not only was the work I was doing fulfilling and life changing, but I found that the camaraderie with other interns, immersion into South African culture, and the intern outings shaped my perception of influence. I was able to realize the value and importance of how things that are unknown to me allow me to develop a fuller and truer sense of myself and my surroundings. Specifically, I developed curriculum and instruction for a nonprofit organization. I lived with interns and local Cape Town residents that helped encourage fun outings and memories. I also was able to fully realize my passion for adventure and thrill seeking during my time in Cape Town. I was able to go shark-cage-diving, bungee jumping, visit an elephant sanctuary, go on a safari, and gain PADI scuba certification.

Hollie

I Love VACorps

I could write a novel about all of the things I have learned while being in South Africa. I chose Cape Town originally for the amazing scenic views. I pictured myself laying on the beach, climbing mountains, and seeing wild animals. When I arrived, I did all of that and so much more. My favorite part of being here was learning about the culture and people of South Africa. Everyone I met here was so inviting and friendly. I learned how to ask for help when I needed it, take chances, and slow down. I found tranquility in nature as well as the busy streets of the city.

At my internship site, I was overwhelmed by the differences in the school system at first. Luckily, I found that everyone at the school was so willing to help me learn as a professional as well as share my experience and ideas freely. I was able to try educational practices I had learned in my college courses without worrying if it would work or not. My mentor was always helping me along the way. We celebrated my failures and successes. I learned how to work along side of professionals in my field. I cried on my last day of teaching as I hugged and said goodbye to the students who helped me feel so at home in South Africa. I was thanked by all of the teachers, some I barely spent time with, and felt so appreciated.

I will never forget the mountains, the beaches, the Addo and the garden route, but I will miss the people I have met here and friendships I have formed the most. After about two and half months of being here, I am so sad to leave. I feel like a different person leaving here. I am more knowledgeable about the world, people’s perspectives, who I am and who I want to become in the future. I want to thank VACorps staff for holding my hand along the way but also letting me go on my own to explore this beautiful country. I know I will be back someday soon.

It can’t!