Social Entrepreneurship Bootcamp in Cape Town with BonBillo + Startupbootcamp Afritech

Co-Working Space
Co-Working Space
Cycle Tour
Cycle Tour
Expert Mentorship
Expert Mentorship
Kruger National Park Safari (Optional)
Kruger National Park Safari (Optional)
Boulders Beach
Boulders Beach

Join our Social Entrepreneurship Bootcamp teams solving a local problem and contributing towards the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals. Learn to apply proven entrepreneurship, design thinking and impact frameworks alongside accomplished peers.

Teams that get customer validation will be eligible to compete for an offer to join BonBillo Impact Accelerator and Startupbootcamp Afritech Accelerator.

Program Dates: 4th to 17th January 2020

• Social Entrepreneurship Framework
  • Expert Mentorship
  • Co-Working Space and Residence
  • South Africa Excursions
  • Kruger National Park Safari (Optional)

• Instruction 7
Jabulani

Global Growth Mindset

The one thing I took away from Bonbillos incredible program is my new found confidence in global thinking.

It showed me that, as a young South African techpreneur, I am more than able to compete with my international age mates.

You don’t have to go to an ivy-league for a “world class business education”. Just jump into the race and run. Throughout the whole program I was constantly surprised at how much I was learning. Proof that there is no one standard way to become a successful entrepreneur.

More startup (site) visits!!! It was great seeing and hearing successful stories from young successful entrepreneurs.
Luntu

An Invaluable Experience

The Bootcamp far exceeded any expectations I had. The quality of the content and the people delivering was top class and I feel I grew in ways I did not know I could. The excursions fostered relationships between us as participants which was great. It was an invaluable experience and I am grateful to have been a part!
My entrepreneurial lens was widened and my perspective was stretched. Collaborating with other start-ups and seeing the synergies in our respective journeys brought about great learning.

Be prepared for a life changing journey as an entreprenuer!
Xolile

Business, Growth & Good Times

During the week we would work really hard on our business operations. It was an adventure. Leaving the house every morning around 8:30 not knowing what time exactly are we coming back. We are passionate about the problems we are solving so it wasn't problem. What's interesting the most is the amount of fun we had in between the hard work. We went out for dinner with Suraj and the teams, visited the Robbin Island took interesting tours on Sight Seeing buses. I witnessed how beautiful Cape Town is.

What was your funniest moment?
On a Friday night, me and my two friends(Panya & Jabu) I made in Cape Town decided to go for a walk on long street, it was supposed to be a less than 15 minutes but it took us for hours. We ended up attending Karaoke sessions and then we went clubbing and we became part of a popular rapper's entourage. All in one night!
Palesa

Great Programme

Really awesome enjoyable experience. High learning environment mixed with a lot of fund and travel. Highly recommended. We had a lot of high impact, rapid fire rounds of lectures, activities and a pitch/demo day to potential investors. We also visited local startups: LULA and YOCO who shared their journey on how they built their companies. Every startup needs to go through a programme such as this where it gives exposure to international content on how to build a business with a mix of local startup learnings.

The programme was great and well planned, I have no points of improvement.
Xolile

Business, learning & lots of fun

Working with BonBillo has been an amazing experience. I'm grateful for having BonBillo on board they are just as committed to make CarPark, the venture I have found a success. I really liked how they pushed me towards the right direction about the problem we are trying to solve. We have build an application that allows drivers to find their cars in crowded or unfamiliar parking lots. In the boot-camp we invested in the business development side of our product and various ways of creating value for all the stakeholders.

I also got a chance to learn a lot about my country's history and I also experienced the beauty of South Africa, the Table Mountain, Robbin Island and the various beaches in Cape Town.

What was your funniest moment?
After a long week of work me and my friends(Jabu & Panya) went for a walk around the block on Long Street. The walk turned into an adventure and we came back after 4 hours(4:00am). We went to various karaoke hang outs and we ended being part of rapper's crew.
Panya

Wakanda Forever

Africa is the future. Entrepreneurs, like the friends I made during this program, will be the ones who will shape that future.

As for Medyear, we found out we could meet a niche need within the HIV/AIDS narrative. So we as a team got to connect in Cape Town (my teammates flew in from Pretoria).

Education content was pretty high quality (leverages a lot of MIT methodologies). I learned some new stuff and the coursework helped me perfect my craft. A good place to begin is with solid teachers and content. I would recommend studying up, to all aspiring and current entrepreneurs.

I had the best time and came away with so much. Cape Town is like the best place in the world. I couldn't even do it all, and am bummed I missed the safari. But big heartfelt thank you to the BonBillo team and SBC team, and others (Oliver, Papa Trill, etc).

What was your funniest moment?
Oh that time we became part of a rapper's entourage. Check out Papa Trill. We (Jabu and me and Olele) might be in his latest video.
Cyrus

A unique opportunity to pursue an entrepreneurial venture

I participated in the Bonbillo Social Impact Incubator program in Boston in 2017. As a student of entrepreneurship, I was grateful for the opportunity to pursue a socially responsible business venture equipped with the backing, support, and training provided through the program. And as a product manager currently working in the tech space, I continue to leverage the tools and methodologies provided during my Bonbillo experience.

One critical feature of the Bonbillo program to call out is its use of the 'Design Sprint' methodology, which allows a team to quickly deploy product prototypes, solicit customer feedback and iterate, all in a matter of days. This is a foundational skillset for innovation in today's rapidly evolving world. It's incredible how much a team can achieve in such a short period of time.

David

BonBillo's Boston Spring Impact Accelerator

Suraj and his team at BonBillo have a fantastic program in place. As a native Bostonian, I didn't experience the travel/housing component of this, but I can tell you that spring time in Boston is a wonderful time to visit this great city. But the real value is for entrepreneurs looking to fast track their professional development and company's progress. Using a curriculum that is proven and incredibly effective at breaking down your business model into concrete, sequential, step by step process' that will reveal to you where to focus, what assumptions you need to prove, when and why to pivot, you can effectively validate or invalidate your model in order to grow as quickly as possible.

Suraj, Rachel, and Julia are all very knowledgeable and wonderful to work with, and there experience covers a wide breadth of facets of having a company, and they bring in expert outsiders to compliment the course work as well. I spent many hours in brainstorming sessions with Suraj where we made fantastic progress and I felt myself taking massive steps forward in my understanding of entrepreneurship and what are key strenghts, gaps, are.

Highly recommend this to an entrepreneur looking to learn tons in a short period of time and be introduced to the investment community in Boston.

Make sure you are ready to seriously engage with the program. The material and education potential is very high, but you have to put the effort in to make it worthwhile. Expect 15-20 hours minimum to dedicate towards classes and homework.
Kyle

Immensely Valuable Accelerator Program

Over the last 10 expansive weeks, I've participated in the BonBillo accelerator to help scale my social enterprise (Green Gas Movement).

If you have tried to start your own organization, you'll know how dizzying the process can be- a mountain of tasks that can seem impossible to prioritize and systematize in the best way.

I've been truly grateful for this accelerator because its curriculum and mentors equipped me with a set of gamechanging tools- Disciplined Entrepreneurship, Hubspot's Flywheel, Google's Sprint, and more- that eliminate much of the guesswork from entrepreneurship.

We were never alone in learning these concepts, as the classes taught by Suraj were well-organized, thorough, and accessible. Of course, no new concept learned is valuable unless it's integrated and applied to your specific business- to this, the Bonbillo team was terrific at helping us apply concepts.

Now, our mountain ahead looks a bit more like a hill.

I highly recommend Bonbillo to any social impact entrepreneur seeking more clarity and conviction in your vision and execution. The program was excessively valuable and I know I'll be reaping the fruits of this program for years to come.

Also, if you are an entrepreneur working on a business of your own, and have not heard of Bill Aulet's Disciplined Entrepreneurship (the book around which the Bonbillo curriculum is based), I strongly recommend getting a copy of the book. It's far-and-above the most practical and watertight guide to entrepreneurship I've ever learned.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
The sessions were held on Saturdays, which made it difficult to attend all of them. Because the cohort was small enough, I feel like we could do Doodles to find mutual availabilities that work for everyone's schedule.
Azra

Bonbillo Spring Accelerator

I participated in the Bonbillo Spring Impact Accelerator in Boston on behalf of Lula. The program was a great experience both professionally and personally. The one on one mentor sessions were really helpful in teams achieving their milestones for not only the week but for the program. The mentors are incredibly hands on, warm, kind and most importantly knowledgeable regarding the themes covered, the industry, networks and events that are important and relevant to you as an individual, your role in the company and the company as a whole. The themes are informative and structured to help you understand key processes and areas of friction in your startup which are crucial in running your business. The guest speakers each week are equally hands on and researched each team so when you received feedback it was always specific to your industry and team dynamics. The experience was incredible and I would highly recommend participating.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I worked remotely from Cape Town for the first 3 weeks of the program and would have loved to be in Boston for the initial 3 weeks (the experience was wonderful and would have loved to been an active participate for the duration of the program). However the team were incredibly helpful in getting me caught up in my first two weeks in Boston.
Kevin

BonBillo Boston Spring Impact Accelerator

This review is based on BonBillo’s Boston spring Impact Accelerator in 2019.

The support of the BonBillo has been instrumental in the traction generated by our startup: our acceptance into MassChallenge, deployment of a crowdfunding campaign, and 11 partnership agreements with community orgs for product pilots.

Compared to other accelerators, the quality and duration of individual attention by BonBillo staff towards our team and startup is incomparable. The curriculum is well-targeted to the needs of our business. Suraj, Rachel and Julia leveraged their extensive network of investors, entrepreneurs, and guest speakers on our behalf.

I can offer no higher personal recommendation to entrepreneurs to attend a BonBillo Accelerator program.

This is the highest value entrepreneurship accelerator or team has attended. BonBillo's staff, curriculum, and social activities are excellent.

Come prepared to maximize the opportunities offered for your startup through this program. Our team found the quality and value of BonBillo's program very high.
Rhea

Great program!

I attended BonBillo’s Online Impact Incubator in Fall 2017 and highly recommend their programs to anyone launching a social impact startup. It's really difficult to get so many experts together over a short period of time and learn so much from them. It was really valuable information we got with a lot of real life examples. It was great to have people tell you how it’s done – we’ve all been through it and there’s a way to structure it no matter where you are in the process. I joined the program while I was in very early stages of my business so it really helped me organize my work and time. I enjoyed every bit of the program and highly recommend it for working on a social impact startup.

I would have loved to see more interactive lectures, those were great!