Connect-123 Cape Town Internships

Connect-123 Cape Town Internships

The Connect-123 internship program in Cape Town offers interns the opportunity to participate in a variety of internships in Cape Town. This is your chance to live and work in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Cape Town! Some popular internship fields in Cape Town include business and entrepreneurship, medical and health care, human rights and social work. Visit the Connect-123 website to find the internship program that fits you best!

• Tailored placements! Connect-123 will arrange an internship that works with your specific background, skills and interests.
  • Extensive Network! The internship opportunities available to you in Cape Town are endless, this is your chance to work with top companies and organizations, and boost your resume with an international internship!
  • Service! Connect-123 makes the process of taking part in an international internship in Cape Town as easy as possible! You will be provided with pre-departure support, in-country support, as well as post internship support.
  • Flexibility! Connect-123 can provide you with an internship experience that works best for you, whether you're looking for a summer internship in Cape Town, or a longer one, Connect-123 can help you find an internship that works best for you.
  • Our program deposit is completely refundable! Most organizations require a non-refundable deposit, which they justify by pointing to the amount of work required to put together an internship or volunteer work placement. Connect-123's policy is different
Africa » South Africa » Cape Town
Africa » South Africa
Resume
Phone / Skype Interview
Weekly Hours

Feyi
U.K.

Great experience

My experience in Cape Town from start to finish was amazing. From the first day I was welcomed with such warmth all the connect 123 staff were so kind and helpful. From organising great events and activities to being a constant line of support and advice. Yet most importantly my internship was valuable and I really appreciated connect finding me a great internship with a very well respected architect like Andy Horn who was a great mentor. Overall I loved every second of my time in Cape. Town and would like to say cheers to all the people who made it so special.

Yana
USA
City University of New York

January, 2017 / Cape Town

I've had a wonderful stay in Cape Town, South Africa. It is an amazing city!! Connect-123 went above and beyond to get me this internship and without exaggerating, it has been one of the best experiences in my life! Robyn, who was my coordinator, is absolutely wonderful and she will tell you everything you need to know about Cape town! If you're looking for a great way to live abroad, gain unmatched work experience, and have the time of your life, this program is for you.

Maggie
7799boyufi

Summer 2016

I feel bad about leaving this review but I wish people would have told me this before I went. Connect 123 in Cape Town will pressure you into living where everyone else lives and promises certain amenities they do not follow through with (gym, TV, constant roof access) and they will constantly come into your housing unannounced. Connect will drop you off at your first day of your internship but does not provide you with transport back, and I've heard many stories of people crying because they felt so lost about how to get back who were not in the safest areas. Two of my coordinators were absolutely lovely but often felt like the third one was treating us like children. Since I payed for this all completely on my own I often wondered what exactly the payment to Connect-123 was exactly for. Especially after leaving it took over 2 months for a letter of recommendation that was only 2 paragraphs. Overall, I learned so much from the experience but I would not go through Connect-123 again.

Response from Connect-123

We're very sorry to receive your feedback and to hear that you weren't happy with your experience. It’s certainly possible that there were miscommunications or misunderstandings and we apologize if you feel that we’ve let you down.

To reduce costs and increase options for participants, we offer flexible housing options in each destination. We offer our advice, to help keep participants safe, but we have no requirements or preferences regarding where participants stay and can exclude or include housing fees at your preference.

Regarding transport, we arrange various options in Cape Town, depending on safety and the host organization’s location, ranging from public transport to private Uber taxis. We discuss transport options with participants as part of the placement process and it’s important to us that everyone feels comfortable with their commute to their internship site. We also include transportation as part of orientation. That said, things might not always go as planned and we encourage participants to reach out to us to discuss any issues. In addition to the weekly events and formal feedback sessions, we’re contactable 24/7 in each location and we’re always available to help.

We’ve worked with thousands of students over the past 11 years and each person’s experience is very important to us. Given our positive interactions, we were pleased to provide a reference letter for you, where we described your contribution to your host organization as well as your great relationship with fellow C123 participants and with our team. Again, we apologize for any misunderstandings and we wish you all the best for the future.

Ruth
Charlotte, North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Charlotte

The Ultimate Abroad In Cape Town

My time in Cape Town with Connect-123 was more than I could have ever asked for. With an easy transition to Cape Town Life, I found a new adventure everyday and it was wonderful having many other interns around to share the experience with. Whether it was hiking, shopping, going on evening outings there was never a shortage or things to do or people to do them with. Connect made it so easy and accessible for me to get comfortable by walking me to work on my first day, setting up evening activities, and being very available and responsive to any questions I had along the way. Overall my Cape Town and Connect-123 experience were both unforgettable and taught me so much about myself and about South Africa. From making friends to learning exactly what I want to do with my perfectly matched internship everything was perfect when it came to my time spent in Cape Town. I can't wait to make it back soon to the Mother City soon and thanks to Connect-123 for making me fall in love with it.

Leah
Omaha, Nebraska
University of Kentucky

Public Health in Cape Town

I worked for the medical research council that was surveying over 12,000 babies and testing them for HIV. I was able to help with collection and instructing individuals on testing. Worked with wonderful people at the University of Western Cape who helped me throughout the way even after leaving Cape Town. My focus had been with HIV epidemiology and the internship fit perfectly. Connect 123 did wonders in trying to find the perfect opportunity for me. I was sad to leave the people I worked with, as well as the friends I made through Connect.

Not much that the program could potentially do, but maybe work more with the internship leaders to make sure they are following through on everything they said they would.

Katie
Iowa City, Iowa United States
University of Iowa

I learned a ton about myself.

My favorite part about my time in Cape town was going on a weekend road trip with 7 friends along the Garden Route. We got to go Bungee jumping on the highest bungee in the world, see the southern most tip of Afrcia, walk with monkeys and drive through some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. This really solidified my need to travel and explore as much of the world as I can.

The program I did was an internship in a government hospital. While I got to see a lot of cool things, there is definetly things that need improvement. A lot of the pre-planned events fell through, and we found ourselves with a lot of down time at the hospital, and we felt like we were in the way.

I learned, that next time I travel, I need to check the weather first. My biggest mistake was not bringing enough warm clothes and too many pairs of shorts. South Africa has opposite seasons as the U.S. Another mistake I made was not listening when they told me not to carry around valuables if you can avoid it. One thing I was good at was always having a map, I was able to explore and find my way back. Also, take advantage of the bus system! Much safer than trains and not that expensive!

This internship really opened my eyes to what health care looks like in poorer parts of the world. I learned I really want to be a part of helping those not as well off. Going abroad by myself helped me gain a lot of independence and self confidence. I definitely recommend trying some sort of abroad experience.

The cost was too much for what it included. Be aware of what you are paying for. In this program, nothing extra was included with the fee. Transportation and food got expensive fast.

Also, this program could use more scheduled events. I hated when I had downtime, luckily I was good at finding fun things to do.

Tanya
Toronto, Canada
University of Toronto

Cape Town was one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Cape Town is a beautiful city with amazing people. I only stayed for a month, but I could've easily stayed for a few more months. The city is very walkable and easy to get around. In terms of safety, be careful when taking valuables out. Try not to flaunt your valuables, and at night, travel in a group and take a cab home. Food is inexpensive and fresh, and the apartment was furnished and cozy. My internship at the hospital was a great learning experience. I got to witness things I would never get the opportunity to in Canada. Making friends and attending social gatherings really contributed to my enjoyment in Cape Town. The night life is incredible and memories are made on every corner. On a side note, if you are staying during the winter, invest in a blanket and portable heater because it can get cold in the apartment. I would recommend this trip to anyone looking to gain some knowledge in their field of interest while making everlasting friends and memories.

In terms of my placement, have the organization (in my case, the hospital) be a little more organized concerning what my schedule would be like.

Jude
Boston, MA
Northeastern University

Clinical Psych. Internship

Accurately putting my time in Cape Town into words is impossible, because however I describe my experience won't do it justice.
Working at an addictions rehab center was amazing. I wasn't sure if clinical psychology was the right choice for me, so I wanted an experience where I could work with patients in a counseling setting. The four months I spent working at the rehab center not only assured me that counseling is something I want to pursue, but also steered me towards addictions counseling. At work, I often found myself in new and unfamiliar situations, but I was able to grow professionally and learn so much from these experiences.
Moreover, I was in the most beautiful city in the world, and I got the chance to really live there, rather than experience it in a short few weeks as a tourist on vacation would have.
This has been a life changing experience, and I would repeat it in a heartbeat. If you have the chance, go for it - it's an experience of a lifetime!

Review finances - a bit on the expensive range in terms of program fees and housing.

Reemg
Memphis, Tennessee
Rhodes College

Economic Development in Cape Town

I am so grateful for the experience I had in Cape Town, South Africa with Connect-123. The time I spent there has absolutely changed the way I look at the world. Connect-123 made sure all the interns were getting the most out of their experiences, starting with making sure all the interns were in a placement with a host organization that would help them grow. Honestly, my favorite part my time abroad was working with my internship because it really complemented my interests and was tailored to my skills set. I spent my time in Cape Town working with a non-profit company with grant-writing and economic development proposals. I also was able to spend a fair amount of time doing field research collecting data in the townships which was extremely eye opening. At the beginning of my time in Cape Town, I thought I would become a Certified Public Accountant after graduation. However after my internship in Cape Town, I am so inspired to continue in the field of economic development that I was exposed to in South Africa.

I continue to stay in contact with my coworkers and South African friends. I really feel that Connect-123 personalized my entire experience and made sure that I left the country with complete appreciation for the culture and so much that the country as to offer.

Will
Oakland, CA
Northeastern University

My Internship

I've been lucky enough to travel a great deal in my life, but can honestly say that Cape Town was the first destination abroad where I've ever felt like I never had to leave. It's an absolutely magical city, with fantastic weather, beautiful and friendly people, a wealth of things to do and one of the most fantastic settings that I've ever seen. I was there for six months, and rarely a day went by without going out into the city and exploring a new neighborhood or finding a cool bar or restaurant!

Additionally, choosing to do an internship in Cape Town through Connect-123 rather than independently vastly opened up my experience of South Africa. First of all, the apartment complex that I lived in, Perspectives, was located smack in the middle of the city center, walking distance from the majority of the city's restaurants, bars, and tourist attractions. Any place I couldn't reach easily by walking was at most a 3-6 dollar cab ride away! Additionally, the group outings that Connect organized both made it extremely easy to make friends from practically the moment I set foot in the city and made visiting the various attractions outside of the city - Garden Route, Cape Point, wine tastings, etc - much easier to plan.

Finally - and perhaps most importantly - the internship that Connect set me up with was absolutely FANTASTIC! I worked at a social enterprise whose mission was to plant trees in undergreened areas of southern Africa and to incite a more inclusive and popular environmental movement in the region. The organization regularly planted trees in Cape Town schools and organized activations to raise green awareness, such as free yoga on the Sea Point Promenade, giving away seedlings, and riding bikes to promote alternative transportation in a very car-dependent city. My role at the organization was as a social media and communications intern - I ran the Facebook, helped with events management, marketed to various media sources around the city, and performed a variety of other tasks that never failed to keep me busy. Additionally, I accompanied the organization to Livingstone, Zambia - home of Victoria Falls! - to plant 5000 trees in the country more plagued by deforestation than any other in southern Africa. Finally, one of my bosses was one of the most famous musicians in South Africa, so I regularly got to attend concerts for free and help out with selling merchandise and the like.

Overall, I had an absolutely magical time with Connect-123 and my internship in South Africa, and can't wait to return!

I think that the relationship between some of the Connect staff and interns could be a bit formal at times - we're pretty much the same age, and perhaps the overall relationship could be a bit more relaxed, as fun as it was!

sk1991
Monroe Township, New Jersey
Rutgers University

Cape Town 2013

This is one of the best opportunities I could have ever asked for. My internship was a dream. It allowed me to do what I loved, reconnect with a part of my life that I had let go of, and immerse myself in the local culture. I felt like I lived there with traveling to and from work and walking around. I enjoyed the drinks nights with the interns because everyone has a different experience and it was great to see all of the different perspectives. The highlights of my trips were my internship, going to the a rugby match, and just hanging out in general. I cannot think of a single day in which I was unhappy. I had such an amazing time.

Anon
Australia

Legal internship in Cape Town

If you’re reading this and considering doing an internship with Connect123 in Cape Town…definitely do it! I had an amazing and unforgettable experience in Cape Town, both from a personal and professional perspective.

I worked at a human rights law firm that specialized in refugee law, constitutional issues, gender violence and land law to name a few areas. Tasks I helped with included client intake and interviews, research, drafting legal documents, negotiations with Government departments and the police, as well as attending court hearings. The team I worked with was supportive, fun and absolutely inspiring. I was given real work and responsibility from literally Day 1! Overall, the work experience I obtained was more than I had hoped for and completely relevant to my future aspirations.

The team at Connect123 were amazing! Their help before and during my time in Cape Town allowed me to make the most of my internship opportunity. They offered a placement that suited my needs, organized logistics prior to my arrival, prepared great social events, provided support as well as an instant network of friends and activities to take part in.

Cape Town is a beautiful city and I encourage everyone to visit. There are so many incredible things to do – hiking, beaches, safari and shark-cage diving just to name a few! I met some amazing, fun and incredible people and together we fully immersed ourselves in the beautiful culture and lifestyle of South Africa by trying something new almost everyday. You will not be bored while in Cape Town!

I strongly recommend the Connect-123 program to anyone who would like to experience more than just an internship. I had an unforgettable international internship experience that opened doors for my professional future and also allowed me to personally grow as a person. As they say: “I came here to change Cape Town, but Cape Town changed me”.

Anonymous
Anonymous

My experience

My time here in Cape Town was so life changing and incredible. I met so many great new friends and was able to explore such a beautiful and diverse city. On the flip side, you are so overcharged for rent (about $525 for a double!), and the program administration fee. What exactly is the $1495 going to? They help you find your internship which is nice, but you could easily walk two blocks and find several organizations who would love to have you help out and work for free. So essentially you are paying someone to apply for you, to work for free. That fee doesn't include the activities they set up, transportation, the wi-fi or the electricity. Electricity is expensive and to have good wi-fi you pay at least $35 a month. There is no gym upstairs (it is one working bike) and the apartment location is in a sketchy area as well. If you have the means to do so, find a cheaper living alternative and look for an organization yourself. Again, why pay $1495 for them to do it. When you go talk to them about internship problems, they tell you to stick it out because their relationship with the organizations are more important than your happiness and money that you paid to come here. The only good part is you live with other interns through the program...

Response from Connect-123

It's great to hear that your time in Cape Town was so life changing and incredible. In response to your feedback, we agree with you: students who can arrange internships on their own and who would not benefit from advice or being part of a community upon arrival, will of course receive less value from an internship program.

Regarding housing, all participants can opt to stay with other C123 program participants in our recommended housing, which is in a safe, centrally located building with 24-hour security, or they can opt for any other housing that suits their budget. While we believe we've developed the best housing model for safety and for being able to quickly make great new friends, arranging housing through us is not a requirement.

Regarding changing internships, since you've posted anonymously, we're of course not certain regarding the full story, however we are certain of this: our mission is to create internship experiences that provide equal value for program participants and the organizations where they work. We care deeply for both our partner organizations in each of our destinations as well as for the screened students who we accept onto our programs. We develop individual internship programs for over 400 students each year, and based on the feedback that we receive from both students and local organizations, we're thrilled that we get it right most of the time. However, these are "real world" experiences and sometimes things don't go as planned. For example, we're less likely to find another internship for students who often missed work, did not show initiative or received extremely negative feedback from their host organizations. We of course look at each situation on a case by case basis.

We're sorry that the internship experience did not meet your expectations and we wish you the best of luck in the future.

Tyler
Omaha, Nebraska
University of Wyoming

Business Development Internship-Cape Town

I interned with a non-profit organization called Hoops 4 Hope and Soccer 4 Hope for three months in Cape Town. This experience was by far one of the most amazing things I have ever gone through. I worked with young children in the townships surrounding Cape Town providing them with basic life skills, while also providing them with opportunities to learn and play the great game of soccer. Some of my other day to day duties were organizing a 15-year celebration fundraising event for Soccer 4 Hope and also organizing soccer tournaments for the children in the townships.

Not only did I work for a great organization, but I met some amazing friends along the way. You get to live, travel, and explore with people from all around the world, what more could you ask for? Some of the things I did while I wasn't working included: bungie-jumping, shark cage diving, going on a safari, exploring the wine lands, climbing table mountain, kloofing, and going to some amazing bars/restaurants.

This was truly an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to have the time of their life.

I honestly wouldn't changed anything about the program. I thought it was very well organized and managed. The housing was great, the travel opportunities were awesome, and the company I was placed with was amazing.

alovette
Michigan
Michigan State University

Communications Internship in Cape Town

Connect-123 provided helpful and friendly guidance throughout my entire two and a half month experience. After a survey of my interests and professional goals, I was placed at small event planning and marketing agency. Helping to ease any nerves, the staff at Connect-123 made sure to accompany me on my first day of work. Each of the Connect-123 staff members shares a genuine concern for the well being of all program participants.

In addition to advice, Connect-123 also organized social events and weekend trips for participants. These events and trips allow you to truly experience the city of Cape Town and its surrounding area. Cape Town and its residents will always hold a place in my heart. Not only did I gain professional experience, but I gained lifelong friends as well. I will always be thankful that Connect-123 allowed me to have the experience of a lifetime!

Nathan
Toronto, Canada
York University

Human Rights Internship - Cape Town

I knew going into my senior year I wanted to do an internship abroad to gain experience in the human rights sector. Choosing to go with Connect-123 to Cape Town, South Africa, as a human rights intern for two months made this decision easily the best I have ever made.

I can’t say enough good things about my experience working towards and in Cape Town. Connect-123 made the pre-trip process quite easy. They were extremely helpful in understanding the type of internship that I wanted to have and how to get me there in the most effective way.

The experience in Cape Town is beyond anything I can explain. Work was extremely interesting. I always felt a part of the team when working with my NGO whether I was doing research, doing interviews at service centres or going into the townships to run educational workshops. What I quickly realized was that while I had gone to Cape Town for work experience the whole living experience was incredible.

There is never a dull moment in Cape Town and the surrounding areas. Connect-123 was great at planning fun activities for us including but not limited to wine tours, township tours and kayaking with the whales. All of this while gaining valuable work experience. Other activities I did on my own and with friends that I met in Cape Town (some of which will most definitely be life long friends) were bungee jumping, safaris, many beach visits, restaurant tourism (amazing seafood!), climbing mountains, shark cage diving and so much more! Even the small things make you smile on a daily basis. Walking home from work, no matter how busy or hectic my day was, walking home with a beautiful mountain staring at you just puts you to peace. The scenery and lifestyle on a daily basis is just a pleasure! There is a lot of work to be done in Cape Town to improve the living conditions of many and with Connect-123 you can help make a difference in any way you find most interesting and really gain experience in every facet of life while doing it.

I will always look back fondly with at my time in Cape Town and Connect-123 was a huge part of making it happen. Saying thank you could never encompass it properly but, THANK YOU!

connectsucks
Cape Town
Study Abroad

Connect 123 Cape Town

Everything about my experience in Cape Town, South Africa has been amazing and ideal except for the services provided by Connect 123. I felt I was decieved about my living accomodations, my internship placement, and various other activities held by the program. I would recommend interning in Cape Town to anyone, but I would not recommend doing so through Connect 123. They do not cater your internship to your interests but rather their needs and are unsupportive of your concerns/requests.

Response from Connect-123

We're very sorry to hear that you weren't happy with your experience. We certainly try to communicate clearly with regard to all elements of our program, including providing detailed information about your placement options to you as part of the application process. We also often encourage you to discuss the placement with your future internship supervisor, so that you can learn more about the opportunity and if it's the right fit for you, prior to accepting their offer.

Our office in Cape Town is based in same building as your accommodation and, as you'll recall, we're therefore very accessible and there to address any concerns. Ensuring that you have a great experience, from internship to housing to social events, is of course extremely important to us and we care deeply about getting this right for each participant.

Again, we apologize if we've let you down and appreciate your feedback.

Connect-123 develops and administers internship programs in Buenos Aires, Argentina; Cape Town, South Africa; Shanghai, China; Dublin, Ireland; and Barcelona, Spain. In all countries, internship opportunities are hosted by local companies, non-profit organizations, schools, research institutes and health care clinics. In South Africa, study abroad