Connect-123 Cape Town Internships

Our Cape Town internship program offers an astonishing variety of international internship opportunities against the backdrop of one of the most beautiful cities in the world! This is your chance to live and work in one of the world's top-ranked destinations.

The Connect-123 internship program offers you the opportunity to participate in a variety internships in Cape Town. Some popular internship fields in Cape Town include business and entrepreneurship, medical and health care, engineering, human rights and social work, among others.

Connect-123 offers custom internship opportunities suited to your interest and skills. Our program durations and start and end dates are flexible to fit your needs. Our local staff provide on-the-ground support before, during, and after your internship including housing assistance, in-depth orientation, social events, cultural activities, as well as career support and guidance.

Visit our website to find the internship program that suits you best!

• Tailored placements! Connect-123’s experienced team finds unique, best-fit opportunities for you, related to your interests, goals and requirements.
  • Extensive Network! Connect-123’s partner network includes entrepreneurs, human rights organizations, engineering firms, advertising agencies and many more options!
  • Flexibility! Choose your arrival and departure dates, based on your schedule.
  • Service! From pre-departure to in-country support to post internship assistance, Connect-123 provides you with all the support you need!
  • Our program deposit is completely refundable! While most organizations require a non-refundable deposit, we’re confident that you’ll love our service and that we’ll find the right placement for you.

Kim

Best Decision!

This review is long overdue. I participated in the Cape Town internship with Connect 123 all the way back in 2014! I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Tourism Management and Connect 123 placed me with "The Backpack" hostel where I worked reception, tour desk, and occasionally the bar! It was a life-changing experience where I met some incredible people and was able to really get to know the city! What was especially awesome about this internship was that many of the local tour guides allowed me to go on their tours for free for promotional purposes...this means it was free wine tastings, shark cage diving, and tours around the city!

Sam

Child Life Study Abroad

While in class studying to become a child life specialist, I am taught over and over that play is the universal language of childhood. It was not until I immersed myself in a whole new culture across the world, when I realized the truth to this statement. Having the opportunity to work with so many different children, in all sorts of settings, speaking many of the different languages native to South Africa was incredible. Recognizing how play is a language we all can "speak" and understand and its importance to a child is a lesson whose impact goes much further than the classroom.

Amirul Ashraf

Connect-123 Internship at UCT

I did my internship with Connect 123 at the University of Cape Town for close to 3 months as a research engineer intern. It was nothing short of amazing!

My decision to join the program in Cape Town was almost an impulsive one, so I did not manage to plan sufficiently prior to the trip. However, the staff from Connect 123, particularly Caitlin and Lucie, were very helpful in advising on what to bring and prepare for! Over in Cape Town, they organised social nights for us to be connected with other interns from different countries that are doing various other internship programmes! This helped to ease the homesickness as we had our own family there! Our development and safety was their priority as they would send in emails every now and then to get updates on our progress and well being. They really had our welfare at heart!

All in all, joining the internship programme with Connect 123 was one of the best university decisions I have ever made! Best hospitality, best location, best experience!

Paige

This will be your best experience

as nothing short of amazing!!! My initial expectation was to gain an internship but, I left with so much more. Connect 123 not only guided me to the internship of my dreams but they also connected me to a new found family. I built lasting relationships with employers, made life-long friendships, and found my home away from home. Every day I worked alongside colleagues, reviewed analytics reports, and worked on currents projects. Interning not only confirmed my classroom knowledge but, it gave me a platform to develop new marketing skills. Connect 123 is an experience that will challenge you, connect you, and propel your professional career. They give you the tools necessary to succeed, so get ready you will leave better than you came.

Feyi

Great experience

My experience in Cape Town from start to finish was amazing. From the first day I was welcomed with such warmth all the connect 123 staff were so kind and helpful. From organising great events and activities to being a constant line of support and advice. Yet most importantly my internship was valuable and I really appreciated connect finding me a great internship with a very well respected architect like Andy Horn who was a great mentor. Overall I loved every second of my time in Cape. Town and would like to say cheers to all the people who made it so special.

Yana

January, 2017 / Cape Town

I've had a wonderful stay in Cape Town, South Africa. It is an amazing city!! Connect-123 went above and beyond to get me this internship and without exaggerating, it has been one of the best experiences in my life! Robyn, who was my coordinator, is absolutely wonderful and she will tell you everything you need to know about Cape town! If you're looking for a great way to live abroad, gain unmatched work experience, and have the time of your life, this program is for you.

Maggie

Summer 2016

I feel bad about leaving this review but I wish people would have told me this before I went. Connect 123 in Cape Town will pressure you into living where everyone else lives and promises certain amenities they do not follow through with (gym, TV, constant roof access) and they will constantly come into your housing unannounced. Connect will drop you off at your first day of your internship but does not provide you with transport back, and I've heard many stories of people crying because they felt so lost about how to get back who were not in the safest areas. Two of my coordinators were absolutely lovely but often felt like the third one was treating us like children. Since I payed for this all completely on my own I often wondered what exactly the payment to Connect-123 was exactly for. Especially after leaving it took over 2 months for a letter of recommendation that was only 2 paragraphs. Overall, I learned so much from the experience but I would not go through Connect-123 again.

Response from Connect-123

We're very sorry to receive your feedback and to hear that you weren't happy with your experience. It’s certainly possible that there were miscommunications or misunderstandings and we apologize if you feel that we’ve let you down.

To reduce costs and increase options for participants, we offer flexible housing options in each destination. We offer our advice, to help keep participants safe, but we have no requirements or preferences regarding where participants stay and can exclude or include housing fees at your preference.

Regarding transport, we arrange various options in Cape Town, depending on safety and the host organization’s location, ranging from public transport to private Uber taxis. We discuss transport options with participants as part of the placement process and it’s important to us that everyone feels comfortable with their commute to their internship site. We also include transportation as part of orientation. That said, things might not always go as planned and we encourage participants to reach out to us to discuss any issues. In addition to the weekly events and formal feedback sessions, we’re contactable 24/7 in each location and we’re always available to help.

We’ve worked with thousands of students over the past 11 years and each person’s experience is very important to us. Given our positive interactions, we were pleased to provide a reference letter for you, where we described your contribution to your host organization as well as your great relationship with fellow C123 participants and with our team. Again, we apologize for any misunderstandings and we wish you all the best for the future.

No, I don't recommend
Ruth

The Ultimate Abroad In Cape Town

My time in Cape Town with Connect-123 was more than I could have ever asked for. With an easy transition to Cape Town Life, I found a new adventure everyday and it was wonderful having many other interns around to share the experience with. Whether it was hiking, shopping, going on evening outings there was never a shortage or things to do or people to do them with. Connect made it so easy and accessible for me to get comfortable by walking me to work on my first day, setting up evening activities, and being very available and responsive to any questions I had along the way. Overall my Cape Town and Connect-123 experience were both unforgettable and taught me so much about myself and about South Africa. From making friends to learning exactly what I want to do with my perfectly matched internship everything was perfect when it came to my time spent in Cape Town. I can't wait to make it back soon to the Mother City soon and thanks to Connect-123 for making me fall in love with it.

Leah

Public Health in Cape Town

I worked for the medical research council that was surveying over 12,000 babies and testing them for HIV. I was able to help with collection and instructing individuals on testing. Worked with wonderful people at the University of Western Cape who helped me throughout the way even after leaving Cape Town. My focus had been with HIV epidemiology and the internship fit perfectly. Connect 123 did wonders in trying to find the perfect opportunity for me. I was sad to leave the people I worked with, as well as the friends I made through Connect.

Not much that the program could potentially do, but maybe work more with the internship leaders to make sure they are following through on everything they said they would.
Katie

I learned a ton about myself.

My favorite part about my time in Cape town was going on a weekend road trip with 7 friends along the Garden Route. We got to go Bungee jumping on the highest bungee in the world, see the southern most tip of Afrcia, walk with monkeys and drive through some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. This really solidified my need to travel and explore as much of the world as I can.

The program I did was an internship in a government hospital. While I got to see a lot of cool things, there is definetly things that need improvement. A lot of the pre-planned events fell through, and we found ourselves with a lot of down time at the hospital, and we felt like we were in the way.

I learned, that next time I travel, I need to check the weather first. My biggest mistake was not bringing enough warm clothes and too many pairs of shorts. South Africa has opposite seasons as the U.S. Another mistake I made was not listening when they told me not to carry around valuables if you can avoid it. One thing I was good at was always having a map, I was able to explore and find my way back. Also, take advantage of the bus system! Much safer than trains and not that expensive!

This internship really opened my eyes to what health care looks like in poorer parts of the world. I learned I really want to be a part of helping those not as well off. Going abroad by myself helped me gain a lot of independence and self confidence. I definitely recommend trying some sort of abroad experience.

The cost was too much for what it included. Be aware of what you are paying for. In this program, nothing extra was included with the fee. Transportation and food got expensive fast.

Also, this program could use more scheduled events. I hated when I had downtime, luckily I was good at finding fun things to do.
Tanya

Cape Town was one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Cape Town is a beautiful city with amazing people. I only stayed for a month, but I could've easily stayed for a few more months. The city is very walkable and easy to get around. In terms of safety, be careful when taking valuables out. Try not to flaunt your valuables, and at night, travel in a group and take a cab home. Food is inexpensive and fresh, and the apartment was furnished and cozy. My internship at the hospital was a great learning experience. I got to witness things I would never get the opportunity to in Canada. Making friends and attending social gatherings really contributed to my enjoyment in Cape Town. The night life is incredible and memories are made on every corner. On a side note, if you are staying during the winter, invest in a blanket and portable heater because it can get cold in the apartment. I would recommend this trip to anyone looking to gain some knowledge in their field of interest while making everlasting friends and memories.

In terms of my placement, have the organization (in my case, the hospital) be a little more organized concerning what my schedule would be like.
Jude

Clinical Psych. Internship

Accurately putting my time in Cape Town into words is impossible, because however I describe my experience won't do it justice.
Working at an addictions rehab center was amazing. I wasn't sure if clinical psychology was the right choice for me, so I wanted an experience where I could work with patients in a counseling setting. The four months I spent working at the rehab center not only assured me that counseling is something I want to pursue, but also steered me towards addictions counseling. At work, I often found myself in new and unfamiliar situations, but I was able to grow professionally and learn so much from these experiences.
Moreover, I was in the most beautiful city in the world, and I got the chance to really live there, rather than experience it in a short few weeks as a tourist on vacation would have.
This has been a life changing experience, and I would repeat it in a heartbeat. If you have the chance, go for it - it's an experience of a lifetime!

Review finances - a bit on the expensive range in terms of program fees and housing.
Reemg

Economic Development in Cape Town

I am so grateful for the experience I had in Cape Town, South Africa with Connect-123. The time I spent there has absolutely changed the way I look at the world. Connect-123 made sure all the interns were getting the most out of their experiences, starting with making sure all the interns were in a placement with a host organization that would help them grow. Honestly, my favorite part my time abroad was working with my internship because it really complemented my interests and was tailored to my skills set. I spent my time in Cape Town working with a non-profit company with grant-writing and economic development proposals. I also was able to spend a fair amount of time doing field research collecting data in the townships which was extremely eye opening. At the beginning of my time in Cape Town, I thought I would become a Certified Public Accountant after graduation. However after my internship in Cape Town, I am so inspired to continue in the field of economic development that I was exposed to in South Africa.

I continue to stay in contact with my coworkers and South African friends. I really feel that Connect-123 personalized my entire experience and made sure that I left the country with complete appreciation for the culture and so much that the country as to offer.

Will

My Internship

I've been lucky enough to travel a great deal in my life, but can honestly say that Cape Town was the first destination abroad where I've ever felt like I never had to leave. It's an absolutely magical city, with fantastic weather, beautiful and friendly people, a wealth of things to do and one of the most fantastic settings that I've ever seen. I was there for six months, and rarely a day went by without going out into the city and exploring a new neighborhood or finding a cool bar or restaurant!

Additionally, choosing to do an internship in Cape Town through Connect-123 rather than independently vastly opened up my experience of South Africa. First of all, the apartment complex that I lived in, Perspectives, was located smack in the middle of the city center, walking distance from the majority of the city's restaurants, bars, and tourist attractions. Any place I couldn't reach easily by walking was at most a 3-6 dollar cab ride away! Additionally, the group outings that Connect organized both made it extremely easy to make friends from practically the moment I set foot in the city and made visiting the various attractions outside of the city - Garden Route, Cape Point, wine tastings, etc - much easier to plan.

Finally - and perhaps most importantly - the internship that Connect set me up with was absolutely FANTASTIC! I worked at a social enterprise whose mission was to plant trees in undergreened areas of southern Africa and to incite a more inclusive and popular environmental movement in the region. The organization regularly planted trees in Cape Town schools and organized activations to raise green awareness, such as free yoga on the Sea Point Promenade, giving away seedlings, and riding bikes to promote alternative transportation in a very car-dependent city. My role at the organization was as a social media and communications intern - I ran the Facebook, helped with events management, marketed to various media sources around the city, and performed a variety of other tasks that never failed to keep me busy. Additionally, I accompanied the organization to Livingstone, Zambia - home of Victoria Falls! - to plant 5000 trees in the country more plagued by deforestation than any other in southern Africa. Finally, one of my bosses was one of the most famous musicians in South Africa, so I regularly got to attend concerts for free and help out with selling merchandise and the like.

Overall, I had an absolutely magical time with Connect-123 and my internship in South Africa, and can't wait to return!

I think that the relationship between some of the Connect staff and interns could be a bit formal at times - we're pretty much the same age, and perhaps the overall relationship could be a bit more relaxed, as fun as it was!
sk1991

Cape Town 2013

This is one of the best opportunities I could have ever asked for. My internship was a dream. It allowed me to do what I loved, reconnect with a part of my life that I had let go of, and immerse myself in the local culture. I felt like I lived there with traveling to and from work and walking around. I enjoyed the drinks nights with the interns because everyone has a different experience and it was great to see all of the different perspectives. The highlights of my trips were my internship, going to the a rugby match, and just hanging out in general. I cannot think of a single day in which I was unhappy. I had such an amazing time.

About Connect-123

Connect-123 develops and administers internship programs in Buenos Aires, Argentina; Cape Town, South Africa; Shanghai, China; Dublin, Ireland; Sydney, Australia; and Barcelona, Spain. In all countries, internship opportunities are hosted by local...