Study Spanish Abroad and Earn University Credit

University Credit Courses
University Credit Courses

Earn 3 credits in only 3 weeks of classes!

Students travelling to Ecuador, Peru or Bolivia may earn university transfer credits while studying at one or all three of our fantastic locations in the Andean region.

Undergraduate & graduate credit is available at all levels, from beginner Spanish to upper-level courses, and is fully transferable to other accredited universities.

Many USA/CANADIAN teachers receive continuing university credit with their school district through our program. Academia Latinoamericana’s overseas programs have been nationally recognized for their excellence.

If a student wishes to come during the summer, the minimum lenght of time is three (3) weeks for one course (3 credits), and if a student comes for one semester (can do a 12 or 17 weeks program with 15 credits. Student must select 5 courses).

• Instruction 9.8
Kirk

Community Member Accompanies School Group to Ecuador

Other than three Caribbean cruises complete with numerous shore excursions in Spanish-speaking countries (that know a lot of English), and several days spent in northern Mexico 35 years ago while in college, this was my first experience being in and living in a foreign country, and interacting with the citizens of that country in their native language (as much as possible). I want to travel more and enjoy such experiences more, and this opportunity included three aspects important to me - at least a sense of more safety (group travel, with a leader fluent in the language and who has done this many times), full immersion into the culture and language, and activities that included visits to both cultural sites and ecological sites. This was such a positive experience and it has only increased my desire for more!

My view of the world has changed in the sense that it seems to get smaller the more I travel outside of my country. These places are accessible, I just need to make it a higher priority to go! Most citizens of the USA take a lot for granted, and I imagine have expectations when they travel abroad that they will have everything they need as if they are home. I expected less than at home, but was not sure how that would play out once in Ecuador. What ended up standing out for me was 1) not flushing toilet paper, 2) not being able to drink the tap water, 3) many do not have clothes dryers, and 4) many do not have hot water at the bathroom or kitchen sinks. To some degree, I definitely feel spoiled.

I prepared as best I could for the language by using the Duolingo app on my phone – I probably averaged 1 – 1-1/2 hours every day, seven days a week (missing literally only a few days over the course of about six months). Knowing that the context of this trip was going with a college student group, I expected things to be done a bit differently than if I were with just my family or another group. Increased attention to safety, more rules to follow, the focus being on a learning and full immersion experience, the destination likely being at a standard of living below ours… I expected all of that.

Living in Quito, combined with living in a much smaller town the second half, gave us perspectives on both the big city and the more rural lifestyles in a foreign country – that is an important consideration to getting as full of an experience as possible. Living in Quito with a host family (as opposed to staying in a hotel, which was an option for I and my wife), while initially somewhat stressful, was something I wanted to force ourselves to do to gain that added experience, and I would definitely do that again. As the country’s capital, I enjoyed the opportunity to learn about its history and to visit some of its cultural sites.

Spanish language instruction was a highlight for me. This perhaps would not be a highlight of a ‘vacation’ for most people, but I feel ‘held back’ by not knowing Spanish at all, and I looked forward to learning some Spanish, and I plan to continue to learn more in one form or another. Another aspect of the program that I appreciated was having all the reservations, planning, and itinerary done for me. Experiencing both the city life and rural living was a highlight as well.

Touring the cultural sites in Quito’s ‘Old Town’ and the half day on the ocean beach were my favorites. My least favorite activity was Agua Blanco (I would have spent the whole day at the beach!). Note on visiting the cultural sites in Old Town – I suggest staying in Old Town and going inside more of the sites, and skip the site further away (the huge statue, I don’t remember its name); at our first stop in Old Town all we could do was get off the bus, take pics, then get on the bus and go to the next place. Also, a note on the service project – I know plans changed (probably multiple times), but explain in as much detail as possible what we are going to be doing once we get off the bus and the plans are finalized; I started cleaning and painting tires that I safely (and correctly) assumed would be for a play area, but after lunch we started sanding and painting bed headboards and I wasn’t sure why until I saw them also going over to the play area as part of an obstacle course.

It has been over two months since we returned home from this trip, and I still practice Spanish daily with Duolingo. I may take a Spanish course at the college this fall. The college is going to Peru next year, and we are interested in that trip!!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Cuy, which is guinae pig. It is a delicacy in Ecuador (tastes like turkey, haha!)
Warren

Review

I spent 2 months at the school in Quito, Ecuador and 2 months at the school in Cusco, Peru. Not only did my comprehension and usage of the Spanish language improve exponentially, but I also had the best 4 months of my entire life. My classes never contained more than 3 students, and it was nice to be able to move through the curriculum as fast (or as slow) as I wanted to. On the weekends, I had the pleasure of traveling to many different breathtaking landmarks that lie within these magnificent countries. Through my travels and the information I learned from my professors and host families, I was truly able to appreciate the differences between various cultures. Everyone involved with the program was very welcoming, and they made it easy to adapt to a new life in a foreign country. La academia latinoamericana de español has so much to offer! I hope to return some day.

The host families associated with this program that I met were absolutely wonderful. I wish there was a way they could be compensated more for the care, guidance, and services that they provide students.
Fatima

Excellent experience!

The standard of academic instruction in Spanish at the La Academia is outstanding. The team provides multiple layers of support both in and out of the classroom. The culture of the city and it’s incredible landmarks also play into academic instruction. My Spanish levels have improved tremendously after studying and taking structured classes at the La Academia. I would HIGHLY recommend this Language Academy to anyone considering studying Spanish abroad. The school also has a department that assists with traveling around Ecuador and other parts of Latin America so be sure to inquire if this is something that you would like to do while there. The majestic beauty of the school is located in what reminds me of a Tuscan Villa. Best experience ever

Allow yourself to push your language learning boundaries and be uncomfortable! That’s where the learning happens!
Jared

Came knowing zero Spanish

While in undergrad, I studied at the Academia 2 different times. It’s absolutely amazing to see your results happen so fast. I came to Ecuador knowing 0 Spanish and I left able to have a full conversation. This family run academia is perfect for anyone at any age! I would love to go back and study more Spanish in a heartbeat. The classes give you small, individualized experience that make learning a second language fun, engaging and worth wile.

Outside of classes, the Academia offers many wonderful options for internships and volunteer opportunities. I was able to intern at the Academia one year but also volunteer at the beach with a group of students for a underprivileged school. These experiences truly make you a better person and I can’t thank the del Corral family and the entire academia staff enough for this. The academia will always hold a special place in my heart and I hope to return for more classes one day. I highly recommend studying at the Academia Latinoamericana de Español.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
With the Acadmeia, I was able to go to the Middle of the World and that was an incredible experience. You don’t realize how incredible the Poles really are until you can see these experiments.
Cynthia

Such a wonderful experience!

The staff was so helpful during our entire stay. The staff made me feel so welcome. The space is clean and well maintained and located in a gated compound which ensured safety and security. The spanish classes were very helpful and our spanish teacher was well skilled at ensuring the students are both comfortable and challenged. The location of the school is great. Plenty of delicious restaurants and markets are either within walking distance or a short cab ride away. Excursions and activitied coordinated by the academia made it safe and convenient to explore Ecuador. I highly recommend Professora Patty for spanish classes and Martin for your driver and translator. I truly enjoyed my stay at the Academia and I hope to visit their other site in Peru in the near future. Muchas gracias!

The city noise is quite loud and the windows do not block sound very well so I would bring earphones.
Cassidy

College Trip

What a trip! I had the most amazing time in Ecuador with my classmates. This school provides everything we needed. We stayed with host families who were amazing even with a language barrier and amazing staff. We explored the cities and the mountains We went on a hike up a volcano with a beautiful lake on top, had traditional meals from the locals and the shopping was too good! But for me the food was top notch. The local markets were full of color and had my taste buds were singing. Learning Spanish was the cherry on top. I learned so much about myself and grew as a person. Looking back I wish I could have stayed longer. I made friends with the staff and my host family for life. I would recommend this school for anyone young and old. The things I learned with my friends will stay with me forever.

Allie

Truly Amazing Experience

The summer before my senior year of undergrad, I spent two months in Quito, Ecuador taking Spanish classes with Academia Latinoamericana de Español and volunteering at the Children’s Hospital. My experience with the Academia was the most impactful study abroad I’ve taken. While in Ecuador my Spanish improved immensely, largely due to the expertise of the teachers and the positive, encouraging culture of the academy! I loved my host family, and still keep in touch with them. The staff is phenomenal, and went above and beyond to make my time with them enjoyable and meaningful. At the hospital I taught English to long-term patients, and working with them is what led me to choose my current career as a pediatric speech-language pathologist. I would highly recommend the Academia!!

My advice to future travelers on this program would be to take advantage of opportunities to travel to the many beautiful places in Ecuador, really get to know your host family, be present in and enjoy the process of learning Spanish, and if you are able to I would 100% recommend an internship experience!
Samantha

Review 2010

Immersing yourself in another country and their language truly forces you to learn. It provides an increase in cultural awareness, education, and spark for travel. The tours are amazing- Baños especially. Zip lining, Casa de Árboles, and Extreme Swings were amazing along with seeing multiple waterfalls. If going to Quito, make sure to visit Otavalo, Cotopaxi, Teleférico, Quilotoa, and Carolina Park. You get to meet new people and experience trips of a life time. The weekends are filled with much free time so take advantage of it! As for the academic experience, the professors make you work hard and focus specifically on grammar and oral skills. Class time pushes students to really learn! Finally, the host families are welcoming and great as a resource to cultural knowledge, food, and surrounding areas.

Ensuring that students master topics in class before adding another subject.
Monica

Super fun!

My experience with La Academia Latinoamericana de Español was fantastic. I went on a four week trip sponsored by my university, and I spent my mornings (9-1) in Spanish classes. They tested my Spanish speaking abilities on the first day and then selected a teacher and class that were appropriate for my skill level. After that, I was re-tested once a week or evaluated by my teacher and placed in a new class. I felt like I had a very personalized experience and learned a lot. I also felt supported in every volunteer or travel experience I desired! I went to Mindo and Quilotoa on trips with the school, and I also took an independent excursion to Mitad del Mundo. The school also got me connected with the right people to go to the Galápagos Islands!

What was your funniest moment?
I volunteered in a veterinary clinic and didn’t know medical terminology in Spanish yet, so I played multilingual warmer/colder with the vet.

About Academia Latino Americana de Espanol - Latino Schools

Our organization has 26 years teaching Spanish in our schools of Ecuador, Perú and Bolivia, which are three World Heritage Sites. Both our teaching method and the professional team of teachers, ensure a rapid, effective and fun language learning. Our...