View Other Details
Airport pickup. Once you arrive, you will be met at the airport and taken directly to your accommodation.
Contracted placement and Certificate upon completion
Volunteer placement- 20 hours a week
24/7 local support network
Dreaming of living and working in Spain, improving your Spanish, and making lasting friendships, all whilst making a difference? Then the Instituto Hemingway is the place for you. From animal welfare and conservation to social entrepreneurship, we have the perfect volunteer program for your interests.
We believe volunteering is one of the most rewarding experiences possible, especially when volunteering abroad: it gives you a chance to give back to the community you are visiting. We tailor our volunteering programs to your specific skill set, while also considering the needs of the community you are working with, to ensure your work is as fun and impactful as possible.
By volunteering with the Instituto Hemingway, you can help the lively city of Bilbao and its biodiverse surroundings continue to thrive. In your downtime, why not explore our picturesque city and all that it has to offer!
Everyone is welcome, and at great prices for all budgets, this is not an opportunity to miss!
- You will get two weeks of Spanish courses (amounting to 20 hours per week) as part of your program, alongside an orientation upon your arrival in Spain.
- Stay in a shared apartment with all amenities covered, right in the centre of the city, for the duration of your stay.
- Join us for our free cultural activities including trips, wine tastings, salsa lessons, cooking workshops and tapas tours.
- Bilbao is a city that’s off the beaten tourist trail, so it’s the perfect place to truly practice your Spanish in day-to-day situations. Why not explore some of the many other cities in Spain while you’re here, thanks to Bilbao’s great transport networks!
- Our experienced and accredited in-house lawyer who specialises in Study Abroad programs helps handle the VISA process with no hidden costs, to make your arrival in Spain a breeze.
The pandemic has led to an ever-increasing number of stray cats and dogs on Bilbao’s streets, with most in poor health and living in adverse conditions. Help support our local animal shelter by looking after the cats and dogs in their care and finding them loving homes. You will be working 3-5 hours per day, 4-5 days per week. Enjoy your evenings and weekends with the friends you’ve made whilst volunteering, getting to know Bilbao and beyond. There is no better way to discover Spanish culture!
The coast around Bilbao is both stunning and unique. Unfortunately, it is not adequately protected, leaving many of its beautiful beaches at risk of pollution. Contribute to the health of the oceans and help save marine life by preserving these ecosystems through beach clean ups, as well as collecting data on the water quality and marine fauna and flora. You will also be raising awareness in the local community about the importance of protecting the coastline for future generations.
Bilbao is a city much-loved by everyone that visits. It needs constant care to help maintain its splendour and minimise the adverse impact of tourism on both Bilbao and its surroundings. Our volunteers contribute to the welfare of the city and countryside in myriad ways: from maintaining walking trails and parks, journalism and photography to replanting initiatives, creating education campaigns, and developing recycling programs. However you hope to help, we know there’ll be something for you!
Are you a creative person looking to help others? Join our program which helps local people brighten their community through art, and local artists to thrive. From patchwork-knitting to painting wall murals, art therapy to promoting local artists, the sky's the limit for what this program has to offer. We believe in the power of art on local culture, and want to inspire all those around us to express themselves freely. Why not get involved and pick up some new artistic techniques along the way!