CAPA Sydney: Study & Intern Abroad

A breathtakingly beautiful coastal city, Sydney is an exciting and diverse place to study abroad with 120 nationalities and the rhythm of 250 languages spoken here. That means delicious foods from around the world fill the markets and there are international celebrations like Buddha’s Birthday Multicultural Festival to join in on. It can be laid-back, with more than 100 beaches and dozens of coastal walks to enjoy, but it’s also one of the biggest business hubs in the Asia-Pacific region and has been named the “innovation and technology capital of Australia”.

The CAPA Sydney program is based in TAFE NSW Sydney Institute, in a beautiful centrally located heritage building. We are also pleased to offer online study abroad programs and remote global internships. Challenge yourself and go abroad (or online) with us. We have a good feeling that you’ll find a second home and an experience you’ll never forget.

Plan now for when you can travel abroad again! 2021 Programs now available

CAPA is here for you when you're ready to start planning your study and intern abroad adventure. Get started today!

CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Each year, we award $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants and affiliate benefits!

$500 - $5,000

Hi Kayleigh, Thanks so much for your question. CAPA offers a number of different opportunities to meet locals throughout the program individually and through group activities. Examples of ways students get to meet and interact with locals include participating in an internship, volunteering, co-hosted events with the University of Sydney, taking part in pub trivia (a popular local pastime), and...

• 9-10 rating 89.23%
  • 7-8 rating 9.23%
  • 1-2 rating 1.54%
Zia

Abroad in Sydney! One of the best experiences of my life!

In January of 2020, I traveled 10,000 miles away from home and started my monumetous adventure abroad in Sydney, Australia.

There I attended classes with my fellow CAPA students learning about Australian history; sports in Australian society; and gender, culture, and society in Australia. I also participated in an internship with Nutrition Australia, where I learned a great deal about the daily operations of a non-government, non-profit community health organization while also advancing my professional skills to complete tasks related to nutrition, dietetics, health promotion and public health. I am extremely thankful to Nutrition Australia and everything my mentors and coworkers taught me!

The CAPA Sydney program organizes housing for all students, you can choose between living with a host family or staying in student apartments. I chose to live with other CAPA students in the Oaks Apartments right next to Darling Harbour. I was lcukey to be placed with three amazing roommates, to whom I still speak with now that study abroad is over! All students are placed in the same apartment building which gave me the opportunity to meet others in the CAPA program outside of school.

Due to the global pandemic, I was not able to experience the full study abroad program and had to return back to the states a month and a half early. The CAPA program did an amazing job supporting us and helping to navigate us through this unpredictable time

My overall experience was a 11/10! I would totally recommend the CAPA Sydney: Study & Intern Program to any prospective students! I was extremely fortunate to meet so many exquisite

Put yourself out there as much as possible! Meet new people, travel, learn to surf, learn about Australian culture! Take advantage of everyday!
Kayleigh

Study abroad with CAPA in Aussie!

If you are a student looking to study abroad during you time in college I highly recommend picking CAPA as your program. CAPA is a program that is so student specific and they really create close knit relationship with their study abroad students. My CAPA advisor helped me through the whole process step by step and made me feel very comfortable with what seemed to be a very intimidating/scary adventure. I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia and it was by far the best four months of my life, and I do not say that lightly. Everyday I was able to meet someone new from around the world and I had a great opportunity to directly enroll into one of the local Universities to continue my studies as a Biology student.

Lucy

CHOOSE CAPA!!

I had an incredible experience in Sydney through the CAPA program. I was able to take classes that truly interested me while also having time to explore Sydney and other cities and countries. CAPA provided amazing housing and I met lifetime friends through the CAPA program. The activities that CAPA provided to us throughout the 4 months were amazing, my favorite was the overnight at the Taronga Zoo! If you're in the process of choosing a program to study with, CHOOSE CAPA!! I would do it all again in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity!

Step out of your comfort zone and say yes to adventures. There is so much to see in Australia, do as much as you can while you're there, but also truly make the most of exploring Sydney! There is so much to see in just one city!
Bonnie

My Internship Abroad

I loved my experience in Sydney, Australia! My internship was amazing working with Chiropractors and a physiotherapist. My homestay was absolutely amazing, the best host mom and family. My class while I was abroad wasn't amazing as it was tailored to students that were business majors not students that were health care or anything else. The program for me was fine as I was happy with my internship and my homestay, however other students from my school didn't love their experiences and not being able to do all of the extra experiences that students from other schools got to do.

For my school in particular I would make it so that the students can do all of the activities the other schools got to do as well as make it more inclusive for our students to meet students from other schools. Since we didn't get to meet many students from other schools we spent most of our time with students from our own school and didn't get to make those connections like all the other students did.
Liz

Best Experience

Studying in Sydney was the most amazing experience. Sydney is such a magical city and CAPA made the transition so much easier. CAPA offered a great support system and really created a community for all the students.

CAPA Sydney is a study center, so your classes and housing will be with other American university students - making it a different type of experience. So, if you are looking to meet locals, thats on you to branch out and make those connections.

Having an intern experience was a great way to get to know the city and opens a door into a different type of study abroad experience.

Angella

A Lifechanging Adventure!

I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia during the fall semester of 2019 and absolutely loved it! My semester was filled with travels to wonderful beaches, great food, and overall a great adventure for my independence. The classes at the CAPA center had wonderful professors that enjoyed helping students, and really cared about ensuring that our study abroad experience gave us enough time to enjoy the new country we were in as well! The city of Sydney itself was beautiful and featured easy transportation since CAPA paid for our transportation. The excursions that we went on were amazing, from a hike in the blue mountains with an energetic tour-guide to an overnight stay at the Toronga zoo where we got to see nocturnal animals at night and even feed giraffes their breakfast! A unique aspect of CAPA is the ability to also participate in an internship while abroad. I enjoyed it thoroughly because I was able to network with my employer there, improve my sparse resume, and learn information necessary to my future career once I graduate. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone looking for an incredible adventure where they can experience another country's culture, improve their resume, and become more independent!

Travel to as many amazing places as you can! Traveling can be expensive in Australia, as well as to other countries around it, but it will be so worth it! I wish I traveled to Bali and New Zealand!
Read my full story
George

Exploration

I had never been out of the country by myself before, so my journey to Sydney was unique, in that, I was no longer constrained by other’s schedules but did things on my own time. This allowed me to go do and see things that I have never even thought about seeing before. Such as seeing the rolling grassy hills and nature centers in New Zealand, while on the flip side, having the opportunity to still enjoy the city life of Sydney. So, my advice to future study abroad students is to make a lot of adventure plans and follow through on them.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I had done this all over again, I would have definitely travelled to Bali and the Great Barrier Reef.
Kailee

The Best Semester of My Life

My study abroad experience was an event in my life that has benefited me in so many positive ways. I was given the opportunity to work with a professional rugby team on the Membership and Ticketing team, which exposed me to sports practices in different countries to aide me in my sports management concentration. The classes at CAPA were perfect for my hands-on learning needs, with experience outside the classroom on field trips. The transportation fares were covered by the school which allowed an incredible amount of freedom to independently travel. As an individual, I grew up a lot during my time abroad, and I would do it all over again if I could. I can honestly say I have no complaints about this program. I would recommend this program to any college student that is interested in seeing the world and gaining an education internationally.

The only aspect of the program I would maybe reevaluate is the number of hours needed for the internship. These students still need time to experience the culture, and gain friends as well within this location to share the experience with.
Read my full story