CAPA Sydney: Study & Intern Abroad

Hyde Park!
Best View From the Opera House
Kangaroo Buddy!
There's so much new wildlife in Australia, and many zoos to visit to see this wildlife.
One of our planned MyEducation activities was a hike at the Blue Mountains. This is world-famous and was beautiful, and a great way to get out of the city for a day.
I visited Circular Quay and the opera house on my first night in Sydney. I went there all the time and loved the view. There's many restaurants and souvenir shopping at Circular Quay. That's also where you get the ferry from if you're going to Taronga Zoo or Manly Beach.

A breathtakingly beautiful coastal city, Sydney is an exciting and diverse place to study abroad with 120 nationalities and the rhythm of 250 languages spoken here. That means delicious foods from around the world fill the markets and there are international celebrations like Buddha’s Birthday Multicultural Festival to join in on. It can be laid-back, with more than 100 beaches and dozens of coastal walks to enjoy, but it’s also one of the biggest business hubs in the Asia-Pacific region and has been named the “innovation and technology capital of Australia”.

The CAPA Sydney program is based in TAFE NSW Sydney Institute, in a beautiful centrally located heritage building. Our distinctive blend of academic and experiential education takes your learning style, interests, preferences and independence into consideration.

You’ll learn both inside the classroom and beyond, with field studies, excursions, My Global City events, and an (optional) internship placement.

Apply by December 15 and receive $300 off any Summer or Fall 2020 program!

CAPA Scholarships
CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Each year, we award $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants and affiliate benefits!

$500 - $5,000

Kristen

The Trip of a Lifetime

I loved my study abroad experience, and it was definitely worthwhile. I gained experience working internationally and was able to complete a certificate in international business through my home university. CAPA really is supportive of students - they want you to take classes that help with your major, gain experience in your field, and study in a city brand new to you. Because city transportation was included with CAPA, I was really able to explore the city as much as I wanted to! I became more independent, confident, and learned how to navigate through a city! It was 100% worth every minute and I truly have nothing negative to say about my experience. Overall I highly recommend this program, not just for the great housing, academic classes, extra excursions, but also for the internship opportunity.

I want future travelers to know that this is not an opportunity to take for granted! Attend the programs they put on and really immerse yourself in Sydney's culture!
Catherine

Once in a life time!!!!

This is an amazing opportunity! If you have the chance, I highly recommend taking advantage of this great adventure! Having done another program in the past, I can honestly say this program has so much more to offer than other study abroad programs. I chose to complete an internship while also taking courses. If your worried about your time, you definitely do have to manage your time well but it's definitely worth. I managed my time and was able to explore the city, make great friends, and have a life changing experience!!
Sydney is an amazingly vibrant and exciting city. Because of its proximity to South East Asia this place is a dream for foodies!! So many options and endless parts of the city to explore. My favorite part of maybe the whole thing was living in a city that was so close to the beach. It was so easy to go from classes or my internships to a great beach day with friends!

More opportunities to connect with Australian students.
George

Great Adventure

The CAPA program that took me to Sydney Australia was amazing and filled with adventure. I was able to see the beautiful landscapes of Australia. I was able to see the diverse and distinctive animal kingdom that resides in Australia. While still being able to travel in and out of the heart of a 5-star city, which is Sydney. This trip was like no other that I had taken up to this point in my life, and I greatly enjoyed the sense of wonder that overtook me every day in the land down under. Though Australia was amazing and I was filled with awe because of it, it was not even the height of the beauty that I was able to encounter in the southern hemisphere. I was able to take an adventure over the seas that divide Australia from New Zealand, and what I found was astounding. Complete unadulterated nature that was accompanied by crystal blue skies and miles upon miles of rolling grassy hills. This is where I saw the peak of what nature had to offer and those that visit Sydney Australia on the CAPA program do not neglect adventure. If you do, I believe that you run the risk of missing out on the large bounty of beauty this blue planet has to offer.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely bring more money so I could travel up to Bali or go to Perth. Because as we all know, airplane tickets are not the cheapest.
Lilly

Life Changing Experience!

Going abroad through CAPA and to Sydney was the best choice I have ever made. The staff is amazing and they really care about each student. They make an effort to get to know you and make you feel at home while abroad.

Excursions: CAPA hosts multiple activities throughout the semester. They were all really fun and helped you learn more about Sydney. My personal favorite was the trip to the Blue Mountains and Fetherdale Wildlife Park. There are also smaller excursions offered throughout the semester such as a tour of the Sydney Opera House and the Bondi to Coogee Walk.

Housing: Urbanest was a great apartment building and it was nice that it only housed students. The rooms were very spacious with lots of storage and each one had its own bathroom. There was also a gym in the building which was very convenient- it was small but it did the job. The location of Urbanest is great-it is close to Central Station (a hub of public transportation) and walking distance to Darling Harbor!

Classes: The classes were definitely less work than what I was used to but I still learned a lot from each one. The professors were all very personable and made an effort to immerse the students into the Australian culture. My favorite class was Sports Marketing-we got to go to a soccer (futbol) game and an Aussie Rules game. It was a lot of fun!

Overall, I can not say enough good things about CAPA and Sydney. Being able to really immerse myself in the culture through my internship and classes was amazing. I also got to travel throughout Australia, New Zealand, and Indonesia while I was there!

The only suggestion I have is to implement an excursion to a destination further outside of Sydney-maybe Melbourne or Port Stephens!
Kaitlin

Living the Life Down Under: An UNFORGETTABLE Internship Abroad!

Studying abroad can be quite scary, but the CAPA staff is extremely welcoming and makes sure you have everything you need to be independent, adventurous, and safe in a foreign country. Although I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do career wise in the future, I knew I wanted to work in the entertainment industry. The CAPA staff placed me in the best possible internship I could have ever hoped for. I worked as an Entertainment and Sport Marketing Intern with the largest ticketing company, Ticketek. Through my internship, I learned so much about marketing and the entertainment industry, which has confirmed my love for the entertainment industry. I also loved my coworkers and the work culture there, which pushed me to do things outside my comfort zone. I even attended events with coworkers outside of work and still have a good relationship with them to this day! With transportation included in the CAPA program, I was able to go anywhere in New South Wales! CAPA truly helped me build an experience of a lifetime that has strengthened my resume more than any other study abroad program! I would go back in a heartbeat if I could!

Alex

LOVED my experience abroad!!!

I absolutely loved Australia and my study abroad would not have been what it was if I didn't go with CAPA. CAPA provided the perfect amount of support while also providing the perfect amount of independence. With CAPA, public transportation is included in the program which allows you to truly explore the city as much as you desire. With an optional internship, CAPA expands your resume even more than a regular study abroad program! I had an incredible group that I studied abroad with as well as an amazing internship. My only complaint was that I didn't meet many Aussies other than my teachers but I am keen to move back to Australia as soon as possible. Even though I didn't meet many Aussies I did gain an excellent understanding and appreciation for the culture there!

I didn't meet many Australians other than my teachers!
Jacee

Intern and Study Abroad Experience of a LIFETIME!

I learned so much about the history of Australia through my academic class, as well as my adventures around Sydney. I became more independent, confident, and learned how to navigate through a city! It was 100% worth every minute and I truly have nothing negative to say about my experience. CAPA is a wonderful program and there was always a fun excursion to look forward to throughout the whole program. We participated in local events, like the Sydney Film Fest and so much more. My internship was unique to my major and interest in event planning, I networked and worked with an awesome team. Overall I highly recommend this program, not just for the great housing, academic classes, extra excursions, but especially for the internship opportunity.

Jordan

Great Experience

The CAPA Sydney program is great for many reasons
-The staff is very hands on and helpful
-The perfect amount of time for me, I didn't want to go for an entire semester
-Such a great and safe city
-Great experience for my resume
-Got closer with professors and friends from my University
-Great food and being introduced to Thai food and Acai bowls
-The beaches such as Bondi and Manly are gorgeous

A busy last few days with school work being due, internship hours to be completed, and preparing to check out
Norway

Incredible

I had an amazing three months abroad in Sydney and I cannot recommend enough the amazing opportunity that is studying abroad. I learned a lot about myself as well as the US from being in Australia, which gave me a worldly perspective. CAPA provided fun educational-excursions, such as trips to the Blue Mountains and to the Taronga Zoo in Sydney where I slept overnight in the zoo, called the "Roar and Snore". I gained confidence in travelling and meeting new people. Overall an incredible experience that I wish everyone could get.

There are strict rules about attending all classes.
Haley

Unforgettable

While studying abroad in a country so far away from my own, I gained a new sense of independence and confidence from going abroad and by going outside of my comfort zone. I met so many people that are now amazing friends! The opportunities for travel and adventure are limitless! CAPA was by my side providing support and resources whenever needed. I gained so many experiences from my time abroad, from the amazing places I was able to travel to, as well as being able to live in and experience a different country was all incredible and I have memories that I will cherish forever!

Gillian

Once in a lifetime, amazing opportunity!

very manageable classes. most of my "academic" time was spent on my internship.

Everyone with CAPA and my school quick to answer questions and guide us.

The apartment I lived in was great as far as space and location go, however I did not feel that I was very compatible with my roommates.

the food in Sydney was so yummy. CAPA provided a lot of snacks and many events which included feeding up delicious food.

my internship helped a lot to meet locals! My friends and i also went to community events which enables us to meet people who were local.

I never felt unsafe.

the cost of living was very high in Sydney!

Going to Sydney allowed me to become more independent. As a commuter, I had never really been away from home prior to this experience. I was able to push myself outside of my comfort zone and make incredible memories while gaining experience for my resume!

I learned travel skills, cultural competency, how to live on my own, how to deal with homesickness, how to make new friends, and most importantly pushed myself outside my comfort zone several times.

not many improvements to be made. My internship was not exactly what I expected, but it still looked good on paper.
Lydia

You can't put a price tag on the most valuable college experience.

CAPA was an amazing program and I am so glad I went abroad on their Sydney program. I chose CAPA mostly because they set students up with and internship rather than forcing the students to find one on their own. CAPA paired me perfectly with my internship at a Public Relations firm in Sydney's central business district; I had a great time getting to know my local coworkers and I learned so much about my field with hands on professional work. The coursework I had through CAPA was not difficult as long as you applied yourself and the professors were always willing to help. While abroad, I learned how important intercultural communication is both personally and professionally. The more you are exposed to the rest of the world's culture, the more open and adaptable you become to other's beliefs and ideas. I believe going abroad was one of the most valuable experiences I have been apart of thus far and I am so glad CAPA was with my every step of the way.

I wish there would have been a greater opportunity to integrate with locals.
Cherilyn

Mates For Life

I cannot swim but when I was offered the chance to go snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef I frighteningly accepted. I went there with Joy a girl I had gotten close to in the program and she helped me through the water and remaining calm throughout the experience. I was able to see beautiful fish in the ocean a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. I faced my fears and made an amazing friend in the process.
CAPA was a great program that landed me an internship and helped me break out of my comfort zone. While it was never perfect down under it was a great experience and I will miss all the friends I made in Sydney.

I think that the housing situation could be improved because I was housed with 7 other people it was cramped and the kitchen was usually messy. Urbanest also charged you for internet and laundry, both which sometimes did not even work. The computers that they had available also never really worked and they did not have a printer.
Kristen

CAPA Scavenger Hunt

One of my favorite and first memories from studying abroad with CAPA was a CAPA organized scavenger hunt. The groups were divided, roughly 5 people per group, and we were given sheets of paper with questions and locations. Opal cards in hand, our group attempted the buses and trains to go from Haymarket (Chinatown) to the CAPA center to the CBD. It was really fun, and my group actually won-earning us free tickets to see Othello at the Sydney Opera House. It was a really great way to get to know the city and our fellow students.

The program could be a couple weeks longer. 3 months is a great time, but I know I could have stayed longer!
M
No, I don't recommend this program

DO NOT USE CAPA SYDNEY! TURN AWAY WHILE YOU CAN! CAPA=WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME! PLEASE HEED WARNING!

Doing a study abroad program with CAPA was one of the biggest mistakes I made in my career in college thus far! Horrible, incompetent, selfish, lazy, and egotistical are a few of the words I would use to describe some of the teachers in the program. I felt as if I downgraded in my education in college by an unacceptable amount through CAPA to the point I felt I was in high school again. I could have learned everything I learned in my semester abroad from one or two good tour guides on a one day tour of Sydney.

Response from CAPA: The Global Education Network

Hi there. We’re sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your program, and we are very concerned about the issues you’ve raised. CAPA upholds a strong commitment to academic rigor through comprehensive courses taught by qualified professors who are thought leaders in their respective fields. When issues in classes arise, our instructors are always there to work one-on-one with students to help them through any difficulties. We encourage you to speak with us directly so that we can resolve these issues to give you the best experience possible, so please feel free to contact us any time by emailing [email protected] Thank you!