CAPA Sydney: Study & Intern Abroad

CAPA Sydney: Study & Intern Abroad

Sydney is just like the Koala bear that comes to mind when you think of Australia. They’re both independent, wise, laid back, and super cute (but don’t worry—the city won’t sleep for 22 hours of the day leave the other 2 for eating). Be carefree as you spend a day on Bondi Beach, or head to your internship to get hands-on experience in your major. Even though the main language is English, don’t think that you won’t get a taste of a different culture when you study abroad in Sydney. The excellent school you’ll attend will help you find your independence in a setting where you’ll be comfortable and challenged at the same time.

Get out of the typical classroom and turn your study abroad city into a place you can learn from. CAPA specializes in customizing your experience— from everything to what classes you’re interested in to what kind of housing you’ll live in. Our internships will give you the skillsets you’ll need to succeed in you’ll need to succeed in your career.

Oceania » Australia » Sydney
Resume
Cover Letter
Letters of Recommendation
Age Requirement
The program fee includes tuition, housing, optional internship placement, local transportation pass, overnight stay at Taronga Zoo, My Global City events, insurance, and CAPA support and services including a 24-hour emergency phone line.

Haley
Boston
Merrimack College

Unforgettable

While studying abroad in a country so far away from my own, I gained a new sense of independence and confidence from going abroad and by going outside of my comfort zone. I met so many people that are now amazing friends! The opportunities for travel and adventure are limitless! CAPA was by my side providing support and resources whenever needed. I gained so many experiences from my time abroad, from the amazing places I was able to travel to, as well as being able to live in and experience a different country was all incredible and I have memories that I will cherish forever!

Gillian
D'Youville College

Once in a lifetime, amazing opportunity!

very manageable classes. most of my "academic" time was spent on my internship.

Everyone with CAPA and my school quick to answer questions and guide us.

The apartment I lived in was great as far as space and location go, however I did not feel that I was very compatible with my roommates.

the food in Sydney was so yummy. CAPA provided a lot of snacks and many events which included feeding up delicious food.

my internship helped a lot to meet locals! My friends and i also went to community events which enables us to meet people who were local.

I never felt unsafe.

the cost of living was very high in Sydney!

Going to Sydney allowed me to become more independent. As a commuter, I had never really been away from home prior to this experience. I was able to push myself outside of my comfort zone and make incredible memories while gaining experience for my resume!

I learned travel skills, cultural competency, how to live on my own, how to deal with homesickness, how to make new friends, and most importantly pushed myself outside my comfort zone several times.

not many improvements to be made. My internship was not exactly what I expected, but it still looked good on paper.

Lydia
Sydney, Australia
State University of New York- Oswego

You can't put a price tag on the most valuable college experience.

CAPA was an amazing program and I am so glad I went abroad on their Sydney program. I chose CAPA mostly because they set students up with and internship rather than forcing the students to find one on their own. CAPA paired me perfectly with my internship at a Public Relations firm in Sydney's central business district; I had a great time getting to know my local coworkers and I learned so much about my field with hands on professional work. The coursework I had through CAPA was not difficult as long as you applied yourself and the professors were always willing to help. While abroad, I learned how important intercultural communication is both personally and professionally. The more you are exposed to the rest of the world's culture, the more open and adaptable you become to other's beliefs and ideas. I believe going abroad was one of the most valuable experiences I have been apart of thus far and I am so glad CAPA was with my every step of the way.

I wish there would have been a greater opportunity to integrate with locals.

Cherilyn
Brooklyn, NY

Mates For Life

I cannot swim but when I was offered the chance to go snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef I frighteningly accepted. I went there with Joy a girl I had gotten close to in the program and she helped me through the water and remaining calm throughout the experience. I was able to see beautiful fish in the ocean a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. I faced my fears and made an amazing friend in the process.
CAPA was a great program that landed me an internship and helped me break out of my comfort zone. While it was never perfect down under it was a great experience and I will miss all the friends I made in Sydney.

I think that the housing situation could be improved because I was housed with 7 other people it was cramped and the kitchen was usually messy. Urbanest also charged you for internet and laundry, both which sometimes did not even work. The computers that they had available also never really worked and they did not have a printer.

Kristen
little rock, AR
Anderson University

CAPA Scavenger Hunt

One of my favorite and first memories from studying abroad with CAPA was a CAPA organized scavenger hunt. The groups were divided, roughly 5 people per group, and we were given sheets of paper with questions and locations. Opal cards in hand, our group attempted the buses and trains to go from Haymarket (Chinatown) to the CAPA center to the CBD. It was really fun, and my group actually won-earning us free tickets to see Othello at the Sydney Opera House. It was a really great way to get to know the city and our fellow students.

The program could be a couple weeks longer. 3 months is a great time, but I know I could have stayed longer!

M
Brasilia
University of Pittsburgh

DO NOT USE CAPA SYDNEY! TURN AWAY WHILE YOU CAN! CAPA=WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME! PLEASE HEED WARNING!

Doing a study abroad program with CAPA was one of the biggest mistakes I made in my career in college thus far! Horrible, incompetent, selfish, lazy, and egotistical are a few of the words I would use to describe some of the teachers in the program. I felt as if I downgraded in my education in college by an unacceptable amount through CAPA to the point I felt I was in high school again. I could have learned everything I learned in my semester abroad from one or two good tour guides on a one day tour of Sydney.

Response from CAPA The Global Education Network

Hi there. We’re sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your program, and we are very concerned about the issues you’ve raised. CAPA upholds a strong commitment to academic rigor through comprehensive courses taught by qualified professors who are thought leaders in their respective fields. When issues in classes arise, our instructors are always there to work one-on-one with students to help them through any difficulties. We encourage you to speak with us directly so that we can resolve these issues to give you the best experience possible, so please feel free to contact us any time by emailing [email protected] Thank you!

Matt
Troy, New York
Hofstra University

CAPA Study Abroad: Sydney Australia

My study abroad experience with CAPA forever changed me as a person both physically and mentally for the better. It would've sounded a little funny to say that before I had left for Australia not knowing all the amazing times and challenges I was going to face. But I am thankful I chose a program that went above and beyond any expectations I had; from the student apartment accommodations that were conveniently located by class and work to all of the excursions and cultural activities we engaged in on a weekly basis I being blown away by CAPA and Australia simultaneously. Choosing to go abroad can be a challenging time for people with all the new sights and sounds, but I never felt lost or out of place with all of the resources CAPA made available to me. From getting tips on some of the best local cuisine to buy to showing me ways to improve my internship skills I thoroughly grew stronger as a person and student under CAPA's help.

Carly
Windsor, Connecticut

Easy, Fun, and Excellent Experience Abroad

This program is a great choice. I loved that housing, transportation, classes, and your internship placement is fully handled by CAPA. Activities are planned throughout the semester, and the CAPA staff does their best to make sure you're enjoying your semester as best as possible. There are plenty of opportunities to travel, as well as explore Sydney. There is so much to do in the city, especially if you go during the summer when the beaches are open. The program offers relevant classes, places you in an internship that suits your career goals, and leaves plenty of time for fun. You'll get to meet other Americans on the trip, some even from your home university.

Rachael
Hamel, Minnesota

The chance of a lifetime-the best three months of my life!

My time abroad in Sydney was beyond my wildest dreams. I have been back in the states for six months and Australia is still all I talk about-ask my parents or any of my family and friends! I think of Sydney as my home now, and I long for the day I can go back. I knew I would love studying abroad, but I had no idea how significant of an impact it would have on my life. I hope all students take advantage of this incredible opportunity to go abroad and challenge themselves.

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! The CAPA Sydney program allowed me to gain professional experience, independence, cultural awareness and much more. I learned so much about myself and what I am capable of. After studying abroad and living independently in a foreign country for more than three months, I am confident that I can achieve anything I set my mind to. I cannot wait for my next Australian adventure and look forward to moving back and working and living there one day.

I loved my CAPA classes and my educational experience while I was abroad. I felt challenged by my courses but not overwhelmed, and I feel like I was able to learn a lot about the Oceania region through my classes. While I did had projects and papers to complete, I did not feel like my workload was too intense and I was confident in my ability to complete my work on time. The resources and support that CAPA offered me were a tremendous help as I learned to navigate the education system abroad. If I needed help with anything, from finding a fax machine or printer to navigating the online submission system, CAPA staff were always willing to help me and ensure that I had all the resources I needed to succeed. I felt like I had a really good balance of class assignments, internship duties and free time. I still had plenty of time to explore Australia and integrate myself into the culture, but my studies came first. I will always remember the help and support that my professors provided me with and the neat experiences I had within the classroom. My overall educational experience far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend CAPA to students who want to have an educational experience that enables them to interact with their host city and country.

I felt like I always had a safe place to go if I had questions or any concerns while in Australia. The CAPA support staff always encouraged students to stop by the office just to chat or try a yummy Australian snack. If I needed help finding a printer or fax machine, I could go there, and if I were to have had any issues, I am confident they would have helped me. It was so lovely to feel so welcome and at ease in a foreign country. The CAPA support staff planned many fun, optional activities for students as well-my favorite was the food crawl through Newtown! I have never ate in one evening ever, but it was so worth it and a wonderful bonding experience!

I really liked the Urbanest apartments we were assigned. They were much better than I expected, with many amenities I really appreciated it, including a fitness center, computers and laundry room. The apartments were really nice and very big-especially the kitchen and the living room. I was surprised by how big they were! I always felt very safe in my urbanest and I enjoyed my living experience and getting to know my roommates! I'm a country girl, born and raised, so living in the city was an incredible experience for me. I never felt homesick or culture shock, but rather Sydney felt like home, like somewhere I had belonged my entire life.

The food in Sydney was absolutely to-die for. I have never eaten such a variety of cuisine from around the world! On every street, there is a dazzling variety of food-from fast food staples to Thai, Mexican, Spanish, South American, Chinese, Italian and everything in between. One of the neatest things about Australia is that the country does not have a lot of chain restaurants. In America, we have Applebees, IHOP and a million other sit-down restaurants you can find across the country, but in Australia, almost every cafe and restaurant is independently-owned and operated, often times by families. I absolutely loved this, because I never knew what to expect and the menu was always different, featuring delicious food that I had not tried before. I must say Sydney's bacon&egg rolls easily became my favorite food of all time. I highly recommend stopping by a breakfast cafe (Newtown's Cafe in Newtown is my top choice) and trying a bacon & egg roll with barebeque sauce. I miss that meal everyday-it was my go-to while I was in Australia!

Australians are so friendly and welcoming in general, so I felt it was easy for me to integrate with the culture and meet Australian friends. I have some lifelong friends in Australia now, including some of my co-workers from my internship! I definitely did a lot of exploring in the small towns and suburbs in order to get a feel for everyday Australian life. There is always something going on, and it's easy to get involved and meet Australians, whether it be at the Manly Beach Surf Competition or the weekly markets in Glebe.

I think about going back and repeating this amazing experience all the time. It was absolutely incredible to go to school, work and live in Australia, and it has completely changed my future. I want to move back one day. Studying abroad in Australia was always a dream of mine, and accomplishing it was absolutely incredible. Going abroad and traveling and experiencing another culture inspired me to always shoot for the stars and achieve my dreams-I want to continue living an extraordinary life and I look forward to the future. CAPA Sydney was the perfect mix of support and independence-I truly felt like I was a professional adult, working in Sydney and taking classes. I felt so independent, with my own apartment, grocery shopping, money management and much more. I feel like, now that I lived across the world successfully and independently, I can do anything! I would love the chance to do it all over again, but I know I will be going back one day because Sydney is now home for me.

Perhaps by including more excursions for students who want to travel a bit farther or maybe even an overnight trip or two!

Ashley

CAPA = Forever Impressed

CAPA, Legitimately the best experience I have ever had. CAPA was so helpful and planned so many AMAZING fun events for us to do ranging from FOOD CRAWLS for FREE (who doesn't love that) to up close and personal in the Opera House, to PRIVATE Screenings of movies, to hiking trips and getting up close and person with a KOALA! :) How many of you can actually say you have done that in your life :) CAPA Staff is absolutely incredible people and will forever stay in your heart for days, months and years to come. CAPA is interested in not only making sure you have the best experience abroad, but also ensuring your safety and security while you are away from home. They are concerned about that lovely stuff. The people you will also meet are incredible. The internship/classes are amazing and awesome of learning aspects and help you open your horizons to how many amazing things are out in this world. The accommodations are like living on a college campus and make you feel so at home seeing so many other college students around! I would recommend everyone to go take a trip with CAPA! If you want to make the best of your trip, the only people who can do that is CAPA International Study Abroad Program! :)

Lilibeth
Davis, CA
University of California- Davis

The best investment you'll ever make.

I spent three months living, studying, and interning in Sydney. The academic side of the program was not rigorous, as we were only completing a writing minor for our home institution. Two days of the week were spent in "class." Wednesdays' were spent in the classroom and Fridays classes were spread out throughout Sydney; a walking tour of Circular Key, a hike at the Q Station, and tours of museums. The rest of the week was spent interning at our respective internship site. I spent my three months interning at Cancer Council NSW, and it was the best experience. I was able to help the Events Department planning Seven Bridges Walk. I wish I had been able to spend more time in Sydney, because it truly felt like home!

More opportunities to travel outside of NSW.

Jillayne
Boston, MA
Simmons College

Take the leap down under!

I did the CAPA program Fall 2015. The program was well put together and organized, and really nothing went wrong. Everyone was professional and helpful both in the US and abroad, which put me at ease being abroad and being in the program. I went with CAPA because of the opportunity to intern abroad in my major. I had a great placement at a physiotherapy office where I learned a lot. The included excursions we had were hiking in the Blue Mountains, a wildlife walkabout park, and going to a Rugby game! All were really fun and there were no hidden fees in them. I hear there's a new excursion with an overnight experience at Taronga Zoo- that sounds so awesome! I also really appreciated the included transportation pass. For anyone interested in interning abroad I strongly recommend CAPA Sydney as they matched everyone in relevant internships and check in to make sure everything is going well, and in the end you could get a great recommendation for jobs/grad school.

I think the areas of improvement could be covering the cost to get to the apartments from the airport when you arrive, and some kind of food budget. I think they had one in years prior and I wish it was still in existence since then students with scholarships could receive food money included in that.

Joe
Narragansett, Rhode Island
University of Rhode Island

Life Changing Experience

My overall experience in the city of Sydney through the CAPA program was amazing. While abroad I had an internship that CAPA found. This internship was picture perfect for my major. I learned so much and made so many friends that I never thought I would have because of CAPA. The only thing I wish this program did a little better was their touring of the city. While on the trip there were CAPA sponsored trips to the Blue Mountains, a Wildlife park, and even a food crawl around Newtown. Although these were fun, I do wish there were more trips. I found that as the weeks went on I became more and more overwhelmed with what I wanted to do/see. The trip as a whole was incredible and I highly recommend anyone who is looking to study abroad to look at CAPA first.

Sholand
Queens, New York

Life in Sydney

I quite literally had the best time of my life down in Australia. The best time ever was celebrating my birthday. Many people gathered, from within the program, to help me celebrate. The people I also worked with in my internship also brought cake and wished me a happy birthday. It was honestly the sweetest thing anyone has done for me, especially since the majority of the people that helped plan my birthday party I literally had only met a few weeks prior. Another thing to top off that weekend, was the fact that I was also able to go to a nature preserve in which I saw a several different kinds of animals including kangaroos, dingoes, bats, etc. Which has been a huge dream of mine ever since I was a kid.

I didn't really have any problems with the program itself. The requests of the program weren't unreasonable. The people who worked for the program were really nice and easy to talk too. I can honestly say in my belief that the program was perfect.

Lauren
Lake Zurich, IL
Purdue University

My Summer Abroad

I abosutely loved studying abroad through the CAPA program. I spent 7.5 weeks in Sydney, Australia, and I learned so much. CAPA helped me prepare for the trip, helped me find an amazing internship, and the staff was always there in Sydney if we needed anything. As a group, CAPA took us on a trip to the Blue Mountains and a wildlife park where we got to pet and feed so many kangaroos. Interning abroad really introduced me to the Australian culture. I got to apply the skills I have learned in the classroom to real life situations for a company that was really happy I was there.

I wish a CAPA staff member could have come to my school before the program started. I didn't really understand that a different company was in charge of the program until I actually got to Australia

Julia
Amherst, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

AMAZING EXPERIENCE

The internship aspect was the best part about this program. I made so many new friends and learned a lot about what I wanted to do for a career after graduation. Who else can say that they had an internship abroad?!

It was a bit unorganized at times.

Kate
Vancouver, Washington

Adventures in Sydney

While abroad I was doing a 6 credit internship. The CAPA staff did an amazing job at matching an internship to my major, interests, and it was even walking distance from my home. I learned so much from doing an internship in another country. The administrations in Sydney were very helpful. They were all quick to respond to emails and made us all aware of any resources we might need. They also kept us up to date on any activities that we might be interested in, in sydney and made sure we didn't forget to do our assignments.While studying abroad I was lucky enough to participate in the homestay option. This made it a little bit harder to always keep up with the other students, but this was an amazing way to learn more about the countries culture and see just really how people on the other side of the world live! I felt very integrated since I did the homestay. I also spent some time volunteering in Sydney, which was an amazing way to meet the locals and learn more about the culture. It was especially easy since there was no language barrier. Although things may have seemed very similar to the states, getting involved was a great way to realize and appreciate the differences. Although it sounds kind of cheesy I learned a lot about myself while being abroad. I have always been a fairly independent person but that really gets put to the test when you are in a foreign country where you don't know anyone. I would say it helped me grow up a bit and learn some good life skills, like how to take the public transport! I also learned a lot about working in an international company. I had lots of responsibilities at my internship and learned how to balance my time seeing a new country while getting my work done. This was an amazing experience and I would do it all over again if I could.

The program could have been improved by having more group activities or trips planned. There were 3 required events that we went on and they were all a lot of fun. They did a good job of mixing us up at the events so we met more people on the program. It would have been nice to have more excursions planned with the CAPA group.

Bridget

There's no place like Oz

In Australia, I was able to have a full time internship with a physical therapist. I got a good feel for the ins and outs of the typical day of a manual and orthopedic physical therapist. I was able to volunteer with my supervisor and assist in the treatment of athletes participating in 111km canoe race at the various check points. I went to two classes that were held on the same day, so I only had to go to campus on Wednesdays. I took The Global City: Sydney, and I recommend this class in any location because our teacher took us on tours and taught us politics, history and interactions of local social groups. In my free time I was able to go to the beach, go on coastal walks and enjoy all of the fun social things Sydney had to offer. This time was beautiful, and I was the happiest I have ever been.

The way the internship class was graded was a bit frustrating because our time at our placements counted very little towards our grade. And we should have had more local student interaction. It was lacking.

Response from CAPA The Global Education Network

Thank you Bridget for your feedback regarding the internship and contact with locals. The internship experience is structured as an academic course, and most of the institutions who allow their students to attend our program do not give credit for the work itself; rather, they give credit based on the coursework that compliments the actual work experience. For this reason your grade is based almost completely on the coursework.

Furthermore, the CAPA Sydney Program follows the US academic calendar. For that reason our students cannot direct enroll in courses at a local university since the academic calendar is vastly different. We encourage integration with locals through the internship, MyEducation activities, volunteer projects as well as casual encounters with students at local establishments.

Jake
Tempe AZ

Gettting involved

My time in Sydney Australia was truly enhanced by the amount of involvement I took part in. My program offered a student council to coordinate events, and I highly suggest taking part in this. In addition I think it is vastly helpful to get to know everyone in your program and create friendships that will help you deal with culture shock and share adventures with. Once you are settled and feel comfortable in your new home, make sure to explore and see everything you can. While I was there I tried doing something in the city at least every week, and even traveled farther on several occasions. Doing so with other people in your program will make that experience that much better.

I wished there was more opportunity to engage with local Australians my age from other Universities.

Ciara
Canton, Missouri
Culver-Stockton College

A Life Changing Australian Adventure

I will forever be grateful for the CAPA Study Abroad program for offering such an amazing experience. I recently completed a fall semester study abroad in Sydney, Australia. I was able to hone my time management skills as I juggled coursewor, a part-time internship at drinks Association in Chatswood, and personal travel. After returning from my study abroad, I feel that I am able to add more valuable input in class discussions. I created long lasting ties with my co-workers at my internship site and took part in amazing travel opportunities to the Gold Coast and Cairns. I was busy and found I had to put n more work than originally anticipated, but nothing worthwhile comes easy! I would do another Study Abroad in a heartbeat; it is truly a life changing experience!

The one thing I would have wanted to change would be commute times. Finding a more central location for students to live would make the commute times shorter and allow for more free time.

Hunter
Collegeville, PA
Ursinus College

A Life Changing Experience

Going to Sydney was something I will never forget, and the internship program left me with a lot of lasting memories. I interned at Driftwood Capital, a financial firm that helped growth-stage companies obtain capital. Being my first internship and it being in Australia, I had no idea what to expect. I was not treated like an intern at all and I became friends with some of the people I worked with. Even though we did not take classes with Australian students, I felt I was able to get my cultural experience by spending a lot of time with my coworkers.

Internship wise, I would have like for our final project in the internship class to be more focused on what we did in our internship as opposed to what we did. My project was focused on minimum wage in Australia, and no one at my company made minimum wage. I would have liked to reflect on my internship more.

Sierra
Lawrence, Kansas
University of Kansas

Australia and Interning

I work from 9 - 5 Monday through Thursday and traveled on the weekends. I enjoyed my internship but I didn't care for the commute and public transportation. It was rewarding to get to see so much of Sydney, Australia. Like the Opera House and Darling Harbour. I got to make new friends and build my network for my future career. I work at a travel guide publishing company. I wrote for their blog and website. I also did the events section for their publication for the spring. The first day I was there I got an assignment and wrote an article that was published. Having this internship help me become a better writer and employee. There was a confidence that came with have my writing being used each week. I found myself to be more liberating young woman. When you are 15 hours ahead of everyone you know you can’t call you mom and have her fix your problems. You have to figure it out for yourself.This experience has taught me to except people for who they are. This trip has made me want try to learn something about all cultures and to continue to travel the world.

More education options for KU students. Also customer service by the CAPA staff in Australia is sometimes too lax for American students.

Brian
Oneonta, New York
Australian Catholic University

CAPA Sydney Life

Best experience abroad I could have imagined! Location was very convenient with the public transit, which made it easy to get around.

It was great to be able to do an internship! The internship placement was a perfect, and CAPA regularly checked in to make sure everything was going fine.

This program makes you feel like a adult by the freedoms you get, but give a comforting feeling knowing they are more than willing to help if need be.

Jacquelyn
Amherst, MA.

Living the dream in the land down under

Studying abroad is the best experience of your life so take advantage of every opportunity. By going abroad with CAPA I was able to intern, take classes, and travel all over in a span of three months (granted I could have stayed longer). CAPA guarantees you an internship placement with their program and helps you to find an internship relevant to your major. Interning abroad helps you to establish an international network and build your resume for future positions. While there you also will be taking classes which are for 3 hours, but you only meet one time a week. Classes are fairly simple and professors want you to get the most of the culture from their classes. Make sure to budget your money because traveling can get expensive, but you will want to do it. I highly recommend exploring the Great Barrier Reed, it is the most beautiful thing you will ever see. Also, the cost of living is high in Australia so budget as best you can. Overall I had an amazing experience with CAPA. I loved this program and would do it again in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

The only thing I would improve is the internship class. This class is meant to give you a reflection of how you think your internship went, your likes and dislikes, and day to day stories. I think this class could be greatly improved because I do not feel as though it was reflective, but more research based which I did not like.

Brett
Buffalo, New York
Australian Catholic University

A Lasting Impression

I had never been abroad before, and going from upstate NY to Sydney, Australia was quite the trip. Other than the few trips to Canada just 10 minutes north of me, this was my first international experience. Navigating a new city was difficult at first but like anything, you get better with practice. I learned the bus routes and walked most of the time because the weather was always beautiful. My internship was at a local gym and going there taught me the true meaning of a global city. In one day, there would be clients speaking a number of different languages and the translation was difficult. Exploring the city was always a great time and I learned something new every day. Being right on the water, the views Sydney has to offer are tremendous and something I will never forget. I would suggest to anyone going abroad to save extra money for traveling as Australia is a large country with so much to offer. There are surrounding areas including New Zealand and Bali in particular, which I traveled to that are new experiences well worth your time. CAPA themselves were very helpful getting us to these places. The first few days we were taken on explorations of Sydney and learned quickly how to navigate the city. Any time there was a question, the staff was there and always offered suggestions of great places to go around town. Definitely the best decision I ever made was to go abroad. Being in a place like Sydney made my choice even greater. The friends and experiences gained along the way will never be forgotten. I can truly say going abroad has changed my life.

The academics at times were difficult, maybe a little less in class work and more related to learning points around the city. Other classes did a lot of exploring but for some reason our classes didn't do that. It is widely understood that you go abroad to enjoy a new experience and learn about how other people live. Classes should focus in on this a bit more as opposed to theory based teaching and so on.

Kayla
Tempe, Arizona

Take me Back to Sydney

My entire experience in Sydney was beyond explainable. The program was extremely organized. All of our living arrangements, travel passes, and internships had been set up for us prior to arriving into the country. The program offered us a booking service to get from the airport to our hotel where we were greeted by CAPA staff and allowed time to settle in. There was nothing to be afraid or nervous about, everything was completely taken care of. During orientation they taught us about places to go, currency, opportunities to take advantage of while abroad, and more.
Once we were settled in we were allowed much more freedom, but they were still there for support when needed. I learned so much from my classes that I actually retained, where as here in the states I feel like i memorize things for exams and then forget the information.
My internship was with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, a National Rugby League Team. It was one of the best experiences of my time abroad, I got to be on the field for the playoffs, and worked with every department in the organization during normal office days. Sport management internships are really hard to land here, so I was very greatfull to be placed with the Rabbitohs.
During Spring Break me and three of my friends traveled to South East Asia and got to visit three different countries. Apart from studying abroad in general this is one of my best memories of my life. Studying Abroad gets you so excited to explore the world, you have to take advantage of every opportunity you encounter.
I can not explain all of the things that I learned and discovered in a written recap, all I can do is tell you that if there is any possible chance you have the opportunity to study abroad - DO IT! It will be a life changing opportunity you will cherish for the rest of your life.

I would make it so that it were easier to connect with locals.

Mollie
Sydney, Australia

Amazing Time!

My trip to OZ was amazing. I had the time of my life, CAPA is so supportive in the entire process and the internship option was the biggest highlight for me. Being able to gain experience working abroad is what set CAPA apart for me. The living is absolutely wonderful and very comfortable. The optional activities such as the walk about park, and tour of the city were great. I loved the optional trips for the entire group and opportunities to bond with the other students. I really enjoyed the week break to be able to travel as well.

I would change the class room facilities. Having to spend almost an hour commuting to classes and the CAPA office was a pain and not being involved with the Australian students was also a downside for me. I would have also liked a clearer idea of the calendar, times and dates of things. It would have been nice to know exactly when things were going to happen to plan better. I would also not require 20 hours a week for the internship- i felt like i was always working and not enjoying my time abroad.

Steven
Tempe, AZ

An Amazing Experience!

I had an amazing time in Sydney, Australia on the CAPA program. CAPA allowed me to intern while also take classes. Each day was different, but some day I interned more, since I needed 20 hours a week, while some days I had more classes. While on this program, you get to learn the public transportation really well, since it's your only source of transportation around the city.

I would immerse the CAPA students much more with Australian students. I had an amazing time, but I felt the American students at Australian Catholic University were separated from the Australian students.

Kristen
Frederick MD
Hood College

CAPA Sydney

I spend my Fall 2013 semester studying and interning in Sydney with CAPA International Education. I loved being in Sydney! The city is packed with things to do from cultural events to concerts to shows in the iconic Sydney Opera House. There was definitely never a dull moment. Studying with CAPA was a great choice. They offered interesting classes that allowed me to learn more about Australia as a country as well as the city I was living in. They also arranged for my internship in Sydney based on my interests and majors. Having an internship in Sydney was the best way to get to interact with locals. I got to learn a lot about day to day life in Sydney, was educated about the city by those who knew it best, and was treated to the best food tour of the city. Pub life is very important and Sydney, and getting to unwind with my coworkers after a long day was what made me feel like Sydney was home. Studying in Australia is a great option for anyone who wants to go abroad and experience another lifestyle without knowing another language.

My group was the first group that they had cut a weekly food stipend from the program fees. It would have been a bit easier to manage expenses with the stipend in place, even if it made the program itself more expensive.

Sean
Lexington, MA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

A Review on CAPA Sydney

For the Fall Semester of 2013, I studied abroad in Sydney under CAPA International Education. At Sydney, I took classes for International Business and Marketing as well as undertaking an internship with a local Rugby Club for academic credit. The program's scheduling is not too heavy, allowing plenty of time to explore the city and find time for fun.

The classes could've been better structured as sometimes it seemed that the professors weren't always on the ball when it came to teaching, although they were mostly knowledgable on the subjects that they taught.

What do you want to get out of your study abroad experience? No matter what, you’ll have to spend some time in the classroom. But what if there were a way to get out into your new city and truly live what you learn?

Welcome