Study Abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia

Study Abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia

Since its first students were admitted in 1961, Monash has earned its place among Australia’s prestigious Group of Eight universities with its dedication to the highest educational standards. Melbourne is consistently named one of the world’s most liveable cities, and is ranked second in the world in the 2015 QS Best Student Cities survey.

Alongside a dedicated orientation program for study abroad students, Monash offers over 150 different academic, cultural and social clubs and societies to help students experience life at Monash. The Monash Overseas and Exchange (MOVE) Club is a student-run society designed to connect and orientate incoming students with previous or future outgoing students.

No matter which campus attracts you, choosing Monash makes sense. Check out our website to learn more about Monash University study abroad programs.

Oceania » Australia » Melbourne
Natural Sciences
Social Sciences
Theater, Drama and Dance
Language Requirement
Tuition fee costs for fee-paying study abroad programs start from AUD $13,000 per semester for undergraduate students and AUD $15,000 per semester for postgraduate students. For more details and scholarship opportunities please see our website.

Yael
Towson, MD
Goucher College

Amazing experience!

I had the most incredible time for the last few months. I've met people from all over the world that I hope to be in touch with for a long time. I ended up living on campus which was great socially but very expensive. Most of my friends ended up being exchange students but I did connect with Australians. The wide range of programs/activities on campus ensure there is always something for everyone. Everyone is nice and friendly and will happily assist with anything. I would highly recommend the program to anyone who wishes!!

The only real complaint I have is there is no academic orientation whatsoever. I went to class on the first day having no idea what to expect. This also carries over for assignments and such. I had an essay returned to me and the lecturer told me he graded it as if he were an American (he taught in the US for a few years). Apparently our writing styles are completely different.

Response from Study Abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia

Thank you for your kind words Yael and it was great to see you around our office and on-campus during semester! It sounds like you made the most of all opportunities to students and we are always pleased to hear incoming students are treated well by staff and their peers. We are sorry to hear you struggled with the academic side of your program with us - there are compulsory faculty orientations for all students the week after Monash Abroad orientation that we mandate students attend, so that they can feel comfortable with our system, know what to expect and what is expected of them, and to understand whom to contact if they need assistance. This is also outlined in the unit syllabus provided at the start of semester. We want all incoming students to feel as supported as possible to achieve great success, so we will ensure that we keep sending this message to future students that these orientations are a valuable resource. We wish you all the very best for your studies at home next year!

Riley
Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Semester abroad at Monash

Studying at Monash was a once in a lifetime experience and I am so great-full for my opportunity. Monash does an excellent job on connecting exchange students with other exchange students, and domestic students are very approachable. Monash's campuses are student friendly for school work, socialising, and student work as well. I lived on Monash residential services and I got the opportunity to meet many different students and make great friends. I recommend living in the dorms and other onsite student living because of the opportunities they give to make friends and live in an environment conducive for socialising and studying.

Better preparation before leaving home country.

Response from Study Abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia

Thank you so much for your kind comments and helpful feedback Riley! We are so pleased you had a fantastic time here with us and that you had the opportunity to connect with local and incoming students, and make the most of your time at Monash. Awesome photos too, it looks like you definitely got into the heart of the city and beyond :) All the best with your studies at home and thank you for joining us and being part of our campus community!

Funbi
Melbourne
University of Leeds

If I could finish my Degree here I would

I loved my year Abroad at Monash University based in the Design building. As soon as I arrived, I was treated to a massive amount of free pancake breakfasts at uni, and free dinners at the halls of residence where I stayed for first semester, which really made it easy for me at the start when I didn't know where to get food etc. All the staff and students were always willing to help and go the extra mile to allow you to make the most out of your exchange and studies there. I took part in a 14km run up the Great Ocean Road in support of a cancer charity and one of my teachers announced to the class that I needed some sponsors and a bunch of people I hadn't even spoke to before gave me donations. Thanks for a wonderful time Monash.

Maybe slightly more focus on integrating the exchanges with Australians in your subject.

Response from Study Abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia

Hello Funbi, thank you so much for your amazing review - we are blown away by your kind comments (and your headline!). Congratulations on all you achieved at Monash during your year with us, not least your feat for charity on the Great Ocean Road, wow!! We are always gratified to hear that staff and students are friendly, courteous and inclusive of our international students on-campus but great students like you make that easy! All the best for your studies in Leeds!

Wiki
hong kong

Precious Lifelong Experiences

Monash students and teaching staffs are so nice to offer help to you! Melbourne is also a quiet, mild, and comfortable city. It is amazing that right in here you will gain some amazing thoughts on your life, values, or relationships with others.

Response from Study Abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia

Thank you for your feedback Wiki Su! We are proud of our welcoming nature and helpful response to all students at our campuses, so we are pleased you were able to experience this and feel at ease at Monash and in Melbourne overall. All the best for your future endeavours!

Blake
Houston, Texas
University of Oklahoma

Amazing Time

Being from America, it wasn't a huge culture shock coming to Australia. I had some of the most amazing times traveling and meeting new people all around the world. A semester I'll never truly forget in the Land Down Under!

I would change how the professors split up a unit halfway through the semester. Why not just keep the same instructor? Definitely don't like that.

Response from Study Abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback Blake! We are really happy to hear you had a fantastic experience at Monash and a great time in our country. We hope that students can make the most of their time here. We appreciate your comments regarding teaching staff, this practice is not something we are aware is common but please feel free to contact the unit coordinators in question to raise your concerns. All the best for your future endeavours!

Anna
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Monash University

Exchange to Monash University

I had an amazing time! Australia is a really good country (I'm from Europe and didn't experience a culture shock). I made many new friends. Also, I learned a lot at Monash University (Journalism), the professors have a high academic level.

I sometimes found it hard that Monash University is so far away from the city centre of Melbourne.

Response from Study Abroad at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia

Thank you for your kind comments Anna! We are really happy to hear you had a fantastic experience at Monash and a great time in our country. All the best for your future endeavours!

Monash is Australia's largest university providing undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications over four campuses in Victoria. Monash Business School is the only Group of Eight university awarded the esteemed ‘triple crown’ accreditation of AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA and Monash is ranked the best university in Australia