IFSA: Study Abroad Programs in Australia

Only in Australia will you find an irresistible combination of rugged Outback, urban sophistication and outstanding academics. Rural Australia’s desert of red earth and vivid blue skies are home to intriguing geological rock formations, unique wildlife, ancient fossils and Aboriginal rock carvings, while the semitropical rainforests and Great Barrier Reef offer endless tourism possibilities. Along the coasts, numerous large cities teem with liveliness and opportunities for culture, sports and entertainment.

Your Australian study abroad experience can take place at any one of 17 prestigious universities. For more personal attention, consider a smaller university off the beaten path or experience the excitement of a large university in one of Australia’s metropolitan areas. No matter where you choose to study, this unique country will offer an unforgettable experience and unparalleled academic choices.

Danielle
Danielle

Best experience of my life

From take-off to Australia and landing back to the States, IFSA could not have made the process more supportive, entertaining, cultural, educational, social, and seamless... Our orientation provided us not only the resources necessary to make new friends (who would likely end up on our subsequent program), but, more importantly, the opportunity to remind ourselves that we, in fact, CAN make friends —and this reassurance goes a long way throughout the semester and in life. I love how IFSA looks after their students throughout the entire semester... not just in the beginning and for administrative needs... I went to Melbourne completely alone (and happened to meet one girl from my school, along with dozens of other kids I still keep in close contact with), and I strongly advise IFSA to maintain the norm of enrolling in study abroad alone. All of the friends that I acquired there, too, arrived independently, which made everyone more open-minded, relaxed, and less suffocated. This is how study abroad should be done. I made friends for life who live in both the states and Melbourne. I’m also very appreciative of the fact that IFSA got us spots in the Uni Melbourne International Student Orientation, for this is where I was able to make even more friends than I started with from my IFSA “herd.” Friends from other international programs did not know of the Uni orientation and missed out on making friends and learning more about what the school has to offer.

Kristen

Yes, Australia really IS that far down under.

Being at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia was the perfect study abroad experience for me! It gave me the chance to experience what a large university had to offer, in diversity of classmates and courses to take! I met two of my best friends through the IFSA program, as they were my roommates during my stay. We still are in contact til this day! Sydney is vibrant yet peaceful, lively yet graceful, and hands down one of my favorite places on earth. You won’t regret taking the trip! My 20+ hours of flying? Totally worth it. My advice, try their coffee. It’s a bit different than how we order it in America but I promise it’s 10x better!

Maybe ensuring transportation for the IFSA students when they are leaving the country, as traveling with their suitcases (multiple and heavy) is very stressful on top of making it on time for an international flight.
Christy

Fun Times in Brissy

Honestly, I would advise everyone to go on a study abroad trip with IFSA. Everything was so carefully thought out, and everyone was so organized. This made it easy to enjoy myself and worry about the traveling and academics. The time that I spent there was complemented by past students' suggestions of things to do and ways to get stuff done. Culture shock was not an issue, because we were prepped before and after for any possibly jarring experiences.

Jarryd

A Must Do

The University of Sydney is a gorgeous campus, the city of Sydney is a even more stunning, and the country of Australia as a whole will leave you breathless. I would recommend this experience to anyone who is even considering Australia. I made lifelong friends, engaged in cultural practices, and even learned to surf ( like a tourist). For me, it was the perfect choice because I wanted a place that was new from home, but also similar. It opened my eyes to the world and has led me to pursue a career in international relations. After taking a course called International Business Strategy and having the opportunity to asses the inner workings of an Australian based company, I realized that the only thing more rewarding than studying abroad would be working abroad. Please, if you have the chance, pursue this opportunity .

In all honesty, there isn't much to be improved at all. The staff was incredible, the programing left nothing to be desired, and the students were some of the best people I ever met!
Sarah

Lovely Experience

I really enjoyed my experience abroad! James Cook University in Cairns is a commuter campus so there was not much of a social aspect but I still had a great time because I met people through the place I lived. I had a traumatic accident while hiking and both the school and IFSA helped tremendously. I enjoyed the day trips through IFSA and orientation. I would recommend IFSA and Carins to other students.

More travel opportunities through the program to other cities within the country you are studying in.
Philippa

Semester at the ANU in Canberra

I loved my experience studying at the ANU for a semester, it was the best time of my life. It was academically challenging and engaging, with new perspectives and interesting classes and opportunities. The social life is also very welcoming and fun, there is a lot to do offered by the University, clubs, and particularly the 'colleges' which is the 'hall' or dorm students live in. IFSA was for the most part a good program, the orientation was fun and helpful. However, IFSA was somewhat inconsistent with their communication and support, my transcript was not sent to my College for almost 6 months and the staff did not communicate well or keep me informed, as my specific program only had 2 students including myself we also did not receive the 'promised' trips and opportunities that are promised and organized for other programs which was disappointing. Other than that, my experience at the ANU was amazing and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in academics and an inviting and fun social scene. Canberra, as the capital, is very international and different from more popular locations like Sydney, but it is still a great place, though does get cold in the winter.

I would've wanted greater support and information from IFSA. I was not given the 'included' trip and 'experience' opportunities due to my small program that others receive, which was disappointing. The organizational issues were also a nuisance, as my transcript from abroad was not converted and sent to my college for almost 6 months despite my several communications. Additionally, after our Sydney orientation my transport to my University was messed up because I was told IFSA would organize and provide me with transportation, but then I found out that the day I left they did not and had to do it myself.
Beatrice

IFSA Butler UQ Review

This was a great program that was highly supportive and allowed for travel. They also took the time to get to know you. Lodging was great and I was steps away from the bus station. I felt very independent but also secure while in this program. They scheduled trips so you got to know the people in your program but it was also very open in the sense that you were able to meet a lot of people outside of the program.

Kimberly

Tropics of Australia

While my study abroad experience at James Cook University in Townsville, Australia was not what I pictured my time abroad in Australia to be, my experience has truly become a part of who I am and I wouldn't change that for the world. I loved being in a more remote location and having the option to take a 20 minute boat ride to Magnetic Island for some SCUBA diving and beach time whenever I had free time. My classes brought us out to the Great Barrier Reef the first weekend I was there and we spent the whole semester analyzing the data we collected. My classes, such as biological oceanography and evolution of reef fishes, were so detailed and atypical that I was able to learn so many things I would have never had the opportunity to if I didn't study abroad. When I back to my home university, I was easily able to pick up internships and research positions because I had such in depth knowledge of these topics. While JCU isn't this most exciting place to be, it was still a lot of fun living in a dorm with all Australians, learning their culture, and making life long friendships. Now, over a year after completing my program, I still talk to them on a regular basis and can't wait to go back and visit them, or have them visit me in the States. Additionally, IFSA - Butler had incredible events planned throughout the semester from going to rugby games and hiking Wallaman falls to a dinner cruise around the Sydney Harbour-- we were truly spoiled. The university also gives you long enough breaks to travel even more outside of where your program is. My friends and I went to New Zealand and Bali, as well as traveled all over the East Coast of Australia. Every trip we went on, we had to log it with our program coordinator (Leanne, who was awesome!) who would periodically check in to make sure we were safe and doing okay. It was reassuring having someone on the other side of the world with us ready with answers to all of our questions and always looking out for us. It gave my parents a peace of mind as well. The biggest thing I gained from studying abroad in Australia was independence. As I am graduating from my home university in 3 days I feel fully prepared for anything the real world might throw at me. I am eager to travel more, visit more places around the world and continue learning through these experiences before I go back to school to earn my masters. Traveling, I believe, is the best way to learn more about yourself and the world we live in, which I feel will give me the experience I need to excel in Grad school and my future career.

My only complaint during my time there was the food. I wish I was given the option to cook my own food or the dining hall had more food options, as I found it very difficult to eat healthy.
Amanda

IFSA: Best Study Abroad Program!

IFSA was a great study abroad program. Our advisors were always there for us and answered any and all questions. Our program events were fun and kept us entertained. It was also a great way to see more of Australia. The location of my apartment was perfect (Surfers Paradise). I always felt safe and found public transportation very easy. Spring Break was also easy to plan because of the many resources available. Overall, it was a great experience!

I had a tough roommate situation so maybe spending a little more time/care when deciding on roommates/housing accommodations.
Teddy

Best Semester of College

This was one of the best experiences of my life. Being across the ocean in a new city and culture was amazing. I learned so much about myself and I've gained so many friends. Perth is a great city and has a lot to do. The only thing I wish was changed was increased housing options. I was put into a housing system that was similar to a U.S.-style dorm. Luckily, I met some great friends through this system so it worked out for me. It may be better to allow people to rent local apartments or a room in houses for people trying to save money or who want to become more independent.

More housing options
Beckie

IFSA Butler

I loved it! IFSA programs are amazing and the events they held brought me to places I otherwise would have never been able to get to otherwise. I wish I had a little more help with a local advisor for school work. Having someone to talk to and get direct advice from a person near my school/university I would have been helped through one of my difficult classes easier. Overall, I loved IFSA and made lifelong friendships and memories.

More help during the semester/guidance. Someone local.
Dena

Sydney, Australia

This program was the adventure of a lifetime. The staff were incredible and made it remarkably easy to have the semester I always dreamed of experiencing. Working on class group projects with students who actually attended the University of Sydney made the academics more interesting. Touring around Sydney and experiencing its nightlife was extravagant. There was plenty of time during weekdays to explore Sydney so travelling on weekends was absolutely essential. I camped in Kakadu and Litchfield and explored Darwin, I backpacked through Bali and the Gili Islands, I saw Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road, hiked through Tasmania, snorkeled in the Whitsundays and on Heron Island, trekked around Uluru and rode a camel, went clubbing in Surfer's Paradise, experienced the Blue Mountains, and last but not least, roadtripped the South Island of New Zealand in a campervan with two fantastic friends.

It was really just fantastic in every way.
Marlyn

IFSA - Sydney Sem 2

IFSA changed my life for the better. I lived at urbanest (an apartment style housing provided through IFSA). I also had a difficult time choosing between living with the Ozzies or living with americans but again only my experience, I'm SO glad I lived with Americans. Living in urbanest a lot of people in your program will be there which turned out for me to find literally INCREDIBLE gems. I'm not joking when I say I met the best americans and friends abroad through living arrangements than I could have ever imagined. Like life-time long friends, who I actually see a lot now back in America. This is realllllly important for the aftermath of abroad when you're back and sad and going through reverse culture shock (lol adapting back to America....) to have this support system of tons of incredible friends who experienced the same as you and will literally keep your abroad experience alive for the rest of your life. I'm actually in the process of making post graduation plans with one of my friends I met in my urbanest to go live in Sydney for a year or two! The facility itself is really great also, very safe and secure and in really good locations close to trains and buses and lots of fun lil' cafes and sidebar (more for that if you want). IFSA was also incredible with creating a new support system for your home away from home.

n/a
Joely

IFSA Butler- University of Sydney

Studying abroad at the University of Sydney was the best experience of my life. Going to Australia in general was an amazing experience, but going through IFSA Butler made my experience much better. The IFSA Butler staff were amazing in helping us when we got to Australia for orientation by giving us a packed schedule of things to do upon arrival, and they were there for us whenever we needed. The best part of my experience studying abroad in Australia was an IFSA Butler event called country life weekend. During that weekend, all of the students in the IFSA Butler program went to stay with an Australian family at their farm. There we were able to see kangaroos hopping for miles while the sun rose. It was the epitome of the typical Australian experience and I would not have had that without IFSA Butler

Jessica

Flinders University - Theatre Major

Great program! Butler's end made it very easy to apply and prepare for the trip. Flinder's end was very welcoming and had lots of programs for international students to do. (Day trips, special workshops, welcome lunches, etc.) Classes were easier than I expected and the workload was a lot less than I was used to having. (Which was alright for me, I needed a break!)

About Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA)

The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to...