IFSA: Study Abroad Programs in Australia

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

IFSA-Butler Students Exploring Australia
IFSA-Butler Students Exploring Australia
IFSA students at a rugby match
IFSA students at a rugby match
Visit to an Australian zoo
Visit to an Australian zoo

Only in Australia will you find an irresistible combination of rugged Outback, urban sophistication and outstanding academics. Rural Australia’s desert of red earth and vivid blue skies are home to intriguing geological rock formations, unique wildlife, ancient fossils and Aboriginal rock carvings, while the semitropical rainforests and Great Barrier Reef offer endless tourism possibilities. Along the coasts, numerous large cities teem with liveliness and opportunities for culture, sports and entertainment.

Your Australian study abroad experience can take place at any one of 17 prestigious universities. For more personal attention, consider a smaller university off the beaten path or experience the excitement of a large university in one of Australia’s metropolitan areas. No matter where you choose to study, this unique country will offer an unforgettable experience and unparalleled academic choices.

IFSA Scholarships
IFSA Scholarships and Financial Aid

We believe that study abroad should be within reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for all our participants.

$500 - $2,500

Popular Programs

IFSA Griffith student studying

Spend a semester in the Sunshine State. Live and study by the beach at the Gold Coast campus in Surfer's Paradise. Or, if art is your thing, study at Queensland College of Art on the banks of the Brisbane River.

Internships are available—give back to the local community by volunteering 50 hours during the semester in structured activities, projects or research. Internships are unpaid, but earn 4 U.S. semester credit hours.

UNSW campus

Just a stone's throw from the stunning Coogee Beach and the historically beautiful Coogee to Bondi walk, this modern university has an outstanding academic reputation and fantastic facilities. Most students live in residential colleges with vibrant social and inter sports programs, and only 20 minutes by bus to Downtown Sydney.

IFSA Monash University in Melbourne

Change makers and forward thinkers will feel right at home at Monash University in Melbourne. Monash's academic excellence is undisputed, and their interactive classes and programs are cutting edge. The thriving and engaging campus life at Monash offers opportunities to connect with likeminded students and academics, while still being a short train journey away from all of the culture and activities of Melbourne city centre.

IFSA student on University of Melbourne campus

Study at Australia's #1 university in the heart of the world's most livable city. Arts and culture imbues Melbourne's many laneways, markets, arcades and neighborhoods. Melbournians love coffee and food and love to be out and about. This is one of Australia's leading higher education institutions, with top ten world rankings in education, law, linguistics, psychology, accounting and finance, and medicine.

Student snorkeling in Australia

Dig deeper into ecology, photography, or marine biology while surrounded by the spectacular rainforests of the Wet Tropics, the dry savannahs and the iconic Great Barrier Reef. IFSA will help you thrive while at this unique and diverse top-ranked tropical research institution. And just imagine what you'll do on your weekends!

Macquarie University students playing pool

If you want Sydney with a more relaxed vibe, coupled with award winning excellence in engaging international students with critical global issues and skills needed for a global workforce, try Macquarie. You'll still be in easy reach of downtown Sydney, with hundreds of shops, places to eat, a cinema, and even an ice skating rink (unusual for Australia) a 15-minute walk from housing.

Queensland campus in Australia

This program offers you access to over 120 of UQ's student clubs and societies and amazing athletic facilities, all less than three miles from the center of dynamic Brisbane, Australia's third largest city. UQ is a comprehensive research institution with over 40 specialist teaching and research centers, including Australia's largest university marine research station on the Great Barrier Reef.

University of Sydney campus

Australia's first university is located in one of the most exciting areas of Sydney. An enormous, urban campus, University of Sydney is modeled after Oxford and Cambridge in England, and it is perfect for students who love coffee, live music and the arts, bookshops, and libraries. The business school is the only one in Australia to have AACSB accreditation for both Accounting and Finance.

UTS campus in Sydney

This young, tech-infused, design-savvy institution, located in the hub of Sydney's start up community, is a comprehensive university with a great reputation for excellence in STEM subjects and Communications. Here you will enjoy a truly international experience in a hands-on, career-focused atmosphere.

Wollongong campus in Australia

Wollongong, where the mountains meet the sea. One of the closest campuses to the beach, UW offers some of the best opportunities meet Australians, as most students at other campuses tend to commute. An hour and a half train ride from downtown Sydney, Wollongong is a large, yet affordable city.

Yes, there are dorms. I believe you are given two choices through IFSA-Butler, either Ursula Hall (includes meal plan) and Burton and Garren Hall (no meal plan, cook for yourself). I was in B&G and loved and would recommend it.

andi

Semester in Melbourne

I studied abroad through IFSA at the university of Melbourne in the fall of 2018. It was such an amazing experience, it's hard to put into words! After a long flight, I was immediately greeted by IFSA staff and we had program orientation in Sydney for three days. The place we stayed at overlooked the Sydney harbor, and on our last day we had a wonderful dinner cruise on a boat. Then I flew to Melbourne with 10 or so other students studying at the University of Melbourne with me, who became some of my closest friends during the semester. The community I became a part of at my college, International House, was so inviting. It always had fun events and activities to take part in, including a theater production! Throughout the semester my IFSA program leader, Lindsey, was super supportive and helped us all adjust to our classes and new environment. Before I knew it, the semester was over but I had met so many new friends and made amazing memories exploring Melbourne and other parts Australia.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I tried kangaroo sausage. It's not as sad as it sounds, because kangaroo are overpopulated in Australia just like deer are overpopulated in the states. It tasted okay, and it's sold in a lot of supermarkets as sausage or hamburgers.
Sadie

University of Adelaide Review

My experience at the University of Adelaide through IFSA afforded me an opportunity to integrate into a foreign culture and education system, learn to live and thrive in an inner city setting, and forge strong relationships with individuals from another country and background. The IFSA coordinator living in Adelaide and teaching our Community and Culture class was an excellent mentor, and facilitated our integration into this Australian community effectively and effortlessly. Adelaide is a beautiful and charming city, spilling over with diversity and multicultural influence among its winding rivers and bustling streets. IFSA's program simultaneously enlightened me to the history and culture of both my city and the broader scope of Australia, as well as taught important skills towards independence and exploration of all Adelaide had to offer beyond the classroom.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
During my time in the workforce while studying in Adelaide, I was given the opportunity to try crocodile and kangaroo. I had never tried either of these dishes before in any setting, and I was surprised to find I truly enjoyed them!
Sammy

Great semester in Melb!

Melbourne was an incredible city, packed with things to do and people to meet. I lived in the center of the city, with the campus being about a 20 minute walk away. The tram system was great--super fast and easy, making transportation quite affordable and useful. I reccommend taking a day trip to Phillip Island, a short hour and a half public bus ride or rental car away. Here you can get the true Aussie experience--pet a kangaroo and see koala, as well as watch the famous penguin parade. I joined some clubs, including the University of Melbourne Wake-boarding Club and Mountaineering Club, where I go to go camping, hiking, skiing, kayaking, you name it. Through these clubs and through my classes I met so many new people from all over the world! Melbourne was an incredible city to live in (voted most livable city for numerous years in a row!) and I loved my experience there!

Gabrielle

Best Semester in AUS!

I had an amazing time abroad in Sydney and was set up perfectly by IFSA-Butler. They gave me all of the materials to be successful and were very helpful anytime I needed anything. The staff was extremely fun and took us on several adventures to show us around. My accommodations were better than anything I could've hoped for and we were extremely safe. The academics were enjoyable at the University of Sydney and overall I felt very supported throughout my time there. Thanks to IFSA-Butler for truly my most memorable semester!

N/A it is run extremely well!
Danielle
Danielle

Best experience of my life

From take-off to Australia and landing back to the States, IFSA could not have made the process more supportive, entertaining, cultural, educational, social, and seamless... Our orientation provided us not only the resources necessary to make new friends (who would likely end up on our subsequent program), but, more importantly, the opportunity to remind ourselves that we, in fact, CAN make friends —and this reassurance goes a long way throughout the semester and in life. I love how IFSA looks after their students throughout the entire semester... not just in the beginning and for administrative needs... I went to Melbourne completely alone (and happened to meet one girl from my school, along with dozens of other kids I still keep in close contact with), and I strongly advise IFSA to maintain the norm of enrolling in study abroad alone. All of the friends that I acquired there, too, arrived independently, which made everyone more open-minded, relaxed, and less suffocated. This is how study abroad should be done. I made friends for life who live in both the states and Melbourne. I’m also very appreciative of the fact that IFSA got us spots in the Uni Melbourne International Student Orientation, for this is where I was able to make even more friends than I started with from my IFSA “herd.” Friends from other international programs did not know of the Uni orientation and missed out on making friends and learning more about what the school has to offer.

Kristen

Yes, Australia really IS that far down under.

Being at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia was the perfect study abroad experience for me! It gave me the chance to experience what a large university had to offer, in diversity of classmates and courses to take! I met two of my best friends through the IFSA program, as they were my roommates during my stay. We still are in contact til this day! Sydney is vibrant yet peaceful, lively yet graceful, and hands down one of my favorite places on earth. You won’t regret taking the trip! My 20+ hours of flying? Totally worth it. My advice, try their coffee. It’s a bit different than how we order it in America but I promise it’s 10x better!

Maybe ensuring transportation for the IFSA students when they are leaving the country, as traveling with their suitcases (multiple and heavy) is very stressful on top of making it on time for an international flight.
Christy

Fun Times in Brissy

Honestly, I would advise everyone to go on a study abroad trip with IFSA. Everything was so carefully thought out, and everyone was so organized. This made it easy to enjoy myself and worry about the traveling and academics. The time that I spent there was complemented by past students' suggestions of things to do and ways to get stuff done. Culture shock was not an issue, because we were prepped before and after for any possibly jarring experiences.

Jarryd

A Must Do

The University of Sydney is a gorgeous campus, the city of Sydney is a even more stunning, and the country of Australia as a whole will leave you breathless. I would recommend this experience to anyone who is even considering Australia. I made lifelong friends, engaged in cultural practices, and even learned to surf ( like a tourist). For me, it was the perfect choice because I wanted a place that was new from home, but also similar. It opened my eyes to the world and has led me to pursue a career in international relations. After taking a course called International Business Strategy and having the opportunity to asses the inner workings of an Australian based company, I realized that the only thing more rewarding than studying abroad would be working abroad. Please, if you have the chance, pursue this opportunity .

In all honesty, there isn't much to be improved at all. The staff was incredible, the programing left nothing to be desired, and the students were some of the best people I ever met!