IFSA: Study Abroad Programs in Australia

Only in Australia will you find an irresistible combination of rugged Outback, urban sophistication and outstanding academics. Rural Australia’s desert of red earth and vivid blue skies are home to intriguing geological rock formations, unique wildlife, ancient fossils and Aboriginal rock carvings, while the semitropical rainforests and Great Barrier Reef offer endless tourism possibilities. Along the coasts, numerous large cities teem with liveliness and opportunities for culture, sports and entertainment.

Your Australian study abroad experience can take place at any one of 17 prestigious universities. For more personal attention, consider a smaller university off the beaten path or experience the excitement of a large university in one of Australia’s metropolitan areas. No matter where you choose to study, this unique country will offer an unforgettable experience and unparalleled academic choices.

Kimberly

Tropics of Australia

While my study abroad experience at James Cook University in Townsville, Australia was not what I pictured my time abroad in Australia to be, my experience has truly become a part of who I am and I wouldn't change that for the world. I loved being in a more remote location and having the option to take a 20 minute boat ride to Magnetic Island for some SCUBA diving and beach time whenever I had free time. My classes brought us out to the Great Barrier Reef the first weekend I was there and we spent the whole semester analyzing the data we collected. My classes, such as biological oceanography and evolution of reef fishes, were so detailed and atypical that I was able to learn so many things I would have never had the opportunity to if I didn't study abroad. When I back to my home university, I was easily able to pick up internships and research positions because I had such in depth knowledge of these topics. While JCU isn't this most exciting place to be, it was still a lot of fun living in a dorm with all Australians, learning their culture, and making life long friendships. Now, over a year after completing my program, I still talk to them on a regular basis and can't wait to go back and visit them, or have them visit me in the States. Additionally, IFSA - Butler had incredible events planned throughout the semester from going to rugby games and hiking Wallaman falls to a dinner cruise around the Sydney Harbour-- we were truly spoiled. The university also gives you long enough breaks to travel even more outside of where your program is. My friends and I went to New Zealand and Bali, as well as traveled all over the East Coast of Australia. Every trip we went on, we had to log it with our program coordinator (Leanne, who was awesome!) who would periodically check in to make sure we were safe and doing okay. It was reassuring having someone on the other side of the world with us ready with answers to all of our questions and always looking out for us. It gave my parents a peace of mind as well. The biggest thing I gained from studying abroad in Australia was independence. As I am graduating from my home university in 3 days I feel fully prepared for anything the real world might throw at me. I am eager to travel more, visit more places around the world and continue learning through these experiences before I go back to school to earn my masters. Traveling, I believe, is the best way to learn more about yourself and the world we live in, which I feel will give me the experience I need to excel in Grad school and my future career.

My only complaint during my time there was the food. I wish I was given the option to cook my own food or the dining hall had more food options, as I found it very difficult to eat healthy.
Amanda

IFSA: Best Study Abroad Program!

IFSA was a great study abroad program. Our advisors were always there for us and answered any and all questions. Our program events were fun and kept us entertained. It was also a great way to see more of Australia. The location of my apartment was perfect (Surfers Paradise). I always felt safe and found public transportation very easy. Spring Break was also easy to plan because of the many resources available. Overall, it was a great experience!

I had a tough roommate situation so maybe spending a little more time/care when deciding on roommates/housing accommodations.
Beckie

IFSA Butler

I loved it! IFSA programs are amazing and the events they held brought me to places I otherwise would have never been able to get to otherwise. I wish I had a little more help with a local advisor for school work. Having someone to talk to and get direct advice from a person near my school/university I would have been helped through one of my difficult classes easier. Overall, I loved IFSA and made lifelong friendships and memories.

More help during the semester/guidance. Someone local.
Dena

Sydney, Australia

This program was the adventure of a lifetime. The staff were incredible and made it remarkably easy to have the semester I always dreamed of experiencing. Working on class group projects with students who actually attended the University of Sydney made the academics more interesting. Touring around Sydney and experiencing its nightlife was extravagant. There was plenty of time during weekdays to explore Sydney so travelling on weekends was absolutely essential. I camped in Kakadu and Litchfield and explored Darwin, I backpacked through Bali and the Gili Islands, I saw Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road, hiked through Tasmania, snorkeled in the Whitsundays and on Heron Island, trekked around Uluru and rode a camel, went clubbing in Surfer's Paradise, experienced the Blue Mountains, and last but not least, roadtripped the South Island of New Zealand in a campervan with two fantastic friends.

It was really just fantastic in every way.
Marlyn

IFSA - Sydney Sem 2

IFSA changed my life for the better. I lived at urbanest (an apartment style housing provided through IFSA). I also had a difficult time choosing between living with the Ozzies or living with americans but again only my experience, I'm SO glad I lived with Americans. Living in urbanest a lot of people in your program will be there which turned out for me to find literally INCREDIBLE gems. I'm not joking when I say I met the best americans and friends abroad through living arrangements than I could have ever imagined. Like life-time long friends, who I actually see a lot now back in America. This is realllllly important for the aftermath of abroad when you're back and sad and going through reverse culture shock (lol adapting back to America....) to have this support system of tons of incredible friends who experienced the same as you and will literally keep your abroad experience alive for the rest of your life. I'm actually in the process of making post graduation plans with one of my friends I met in my urbanest to go live in Sydney for a year or two! The facility itself is really great also, very safe and secure and in really good locations close to trains and buses and lots of fun lil' cafes and sidebar (more for that if you want). IFSA was also incredible with creating a new support system for your home away from home.

n/a
Joely

IFSA Butler- University of Sydney

Studying abroad at the University of Sydney was the best experience of my life. Going to Australia in general was an amazing experience, but going through IFSA Butler made my experience much better. The IFSA Butler staff were amazing in helping us when we got to Australia for orientation by giving us a packed schedule of things to do upon arrival, and they were there for us whenever we needed. The best part of my experience studying abroad in Australia was an IFSA Butler event called country life weekend. During that weekend, all of the students in the IFSA Butler program went to stay with an Australian family at their farm. There we were able to see kangaroos hopping for miles while the sun rose. It was the epitome of the typical Australian experience and I would not have had that without IFSA Butler

Jessica

Flinders University - Theatre Major

Great program! Butler's end made it very easy to apply and prepare for the trip. Flinder's end was very welcoming and had lots of programs for international students to do. (Day trips, special workshops, welcome lunches, etc.) Classes were easier than I expected and the workload was a lot less than I was used to having. (Which was alright for me, I needed a break!)

Becka

Good Location for an Education, but not for making friends

Australia is an awesome place to study lots of different subjects, but it was lacking in the locations of schools and support by program staff. I got to take amazing classes that were specific to Australia, but I didn't get to meet many other students.

House people in areas with other students, rather than random apartment complexes.
Navigating my tickets home was difficult because I needed to call someone who was working at their offices in America, which is about 13 hours different than Australia... not effective.
Response from Institute for Study Abroad

Dear Becka,

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed. We'd like to talk to you more about your housing and our support services to get some more feedback. Please drop us a line at [email protected] to continue this conversation!

About Institute for Study Abroad

The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1988. Our primary goal is to provide quality study abroad opportunities, plus academic and personal support services, for qualified North American undergraduates seeking to...