Study Abroad in Melbourne, Australia at Deakin University

USAC invites students to come study abroad in Melbourne, Australia at Deakin University! Deakin is split into four campuses: Geelong Campus at Waurn Ponds; Geelong Waterfront Campus; Warrnambool Campus; and the Melbourne Campus at Burwood; all of which offer slightly different courses. Students can choose to study in January for a short term, or for any one, two or three trimesters.

Courses are available in a large number of disciplines, with emphasis on the faculties of the Arts; Business & Law; Education; Health; Nursing & Behavioral Sciences; and Science & Technology. Accommodations can be organized with help from USAC, or can be found upon arrival in Australia.

• Settle in during a 3-day beach orientation with guided hikes, surfing lessons, and integration workshops
  • Choose from four campuses: in Melbourne (“the world’s most livable city”), twin Geelong (think beaches) or in Warrnambool (ideal for marine and freshwater science)
  • Take advantage of unique internships in Business, Environmental Science, Journalism, Performing Arts, and Sociology
  • Explore beaches, mountain ranges, deserts, forests, and volcanic plains

Annie

Deakin Melbourne

I had the time of my life at Deakin in Melbourne while getting to travel all over Australia & other places. The people are amazing the campus is beautiful. The classes are interesting & I learned so much as an exchange student. I miss it everyday I would give anything to go back! I lived off campus in the international house which was walking distance to Deakin & I met the most amazing people! I also had friends on campus and the accommodations were very nice & incorporated student life and engagement. There was constantly fun activities, parties & events planned for us as students to get us acclimated and meet new people. It was amazing.

Olivia

Deakin University

My time at Deakin was the best four and a half months of my life. The university was great and they provided so many resources and a lot of support. My courses we’re great and so were my teachers. I loved Australia so much and I met some life long friends. I’m so thankful for my experience and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I learned so much about myself and others, more than I could have imagined. I would love to move back here because I loved it so much. If you have the opportunity to go to Australia, do not hesitate!!

Kaitlyn

You Know You Studied Abroad in Melbourne When...

You Know You Studied Abroad in Melbourne When..

1. If you're from the U.S., you may have found your right hand sneaking to your heart, while singing the Australian national anthem at any given event. You tried to stop it, but it was too late. Everybody knows your secret.. You're American.
2. You’ve learned that the same rules for passing cars, apply to passing people: on the left. Otherwise you’ll do that awkward little apologetic shuffle dance with every person you cross paths with.
3. You acknowledge and respect that Melbourne weathermen and women have the hardest job in the world. They can only predict the psycho weather to some degree. Literally.
4. You've realized they don't make it easy to gracefully acquire a kid's meal when on a weekend travel budget. Example: my last food money-saving endeavor came in a cardboard box shaped like a barn.
5. You have to wonder who sat down one day and wrote the rules for footy.. “And they shall switch sides every quarter, wear short shorts and no protective gear, and they’ll have to pass..no, dribble the football-shaped ball every fifteen meters. Perfect.”
But of course you love the sport just as much as everyone else.
6. You’ve gotten used to eating gravy on just about everything and would like to request that you be buried in a gravy-filled grave when that day comes… a grave-y.
7. You're all too familiar with that musical chairs- like frenzy on the bus, when everyone boarding knows it's about to start moving. They're forced to either brace for impact, or launch themselves towards the nearest chair, and be forced to sit in it faster than a person should ever try to sit, when the bus makes it's jump to light speed.
8. You know what it's like to get carpal tunnel in your toes from walking on the beach for too long.
9. The only constant in your exercise routine is running to catch the tram.
10. If you went to Deakin, and lived in MC more specifically, you may have said the following to yourself several times: "It's quiet. Too quiet." *Fire alarm goes off* "Ah, I thought so."
11. You've realized Aus is like a geographically reverse California, with the best beaches up north, the more liberal people further south, less people and less politics in general, and therefore, more chill.
12. You've stayed in more hostels in the last 4 months than the rest of your life combined, and you've changed as a result. You've seen things you can't explain and things you can, but would rather suppress.
13. You miss Aus a lot when you go home, but let’s face it, home wasn’t the same without you. You’ve been singing a lot of Adele out loud to yourself, with extra soul, so it’s safe to say you’re coping with the adjustment pretty well. And in all fairness, it’s nice to have outlets that fit your plugs again.

A link to my blog, while studying abroad: http://blogs.gcu.edu/blog/category/study-abroad/

This program was close to perfect for me and my personality. The only thing I would change is to have the opportunity to live with people my age- all my friends studying abroad and I lived with younger people. I would also have loved more short excursions for study abroad students through Deakin. The beach welcome program was so much fun!