Spend the Fall in Australia at NYU Sydney

Study at NYU Sydney in your fall semester—when Australia transitions from spring to summer. You'll live in Haymarket, the city's Chinatown, within walking distance to your classes at the NYU center. Gain a new perspective of your field with courses like anthropology, communications, and business that can count toward your major or minor requirements. All of your courses are NYU-approved, so the credits you earn should easily transfer to your home university. Through research, internships, and faculty-led excursions, you'll engage with locals and learn about Australia's rich history of immigrant and indigenous communities. In this beautiful country, travel is a must, and you're likely to take a day trip to Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park or an overnight to the Blue Mountains or Cairns. Learn more and apply on our website. A word to the wise: the spring program tends to fill up, and you might get shut out, so apply now for fall and secure your spot for an amazing semester abroad!

Victoria

NYU Sydney

The staff were so helpful and the planned programs for students were really interesting and relevant. We did neighborhood dinners so that students had a chance to explore even if they didn't have the funds to eat out. Also, the staff were really great with helping students find jobs if they were interested in working. The small class sizes were a very new experience at NYU and it was helpful to have so much face to face time with each professor, and it definitely helped a lot with learning the material. I had a really great time at NYU Sydney and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to go abroad.

The wifi situation at Urbanest is an issue when it comes to being able to complete assignments since it's limited, but other than that the program was great.
Jennie

Junior Fall in Sydney

After only seeing beautiful pictures of Australia, I decided that I needed to go. I quickly fell into a routine and found a sense of home with the assistance of NYU staff and their programs. As the fall is a smaller program, I found people more excited and open to meeting new people, causing friendships to blossom early. Additionally, the walk to classes was on the longer side, but this guaranteed quality time with friends as we hiked uphill. With new friends and a new place, I found myself excited to travel and explore the spaces around me. Whether I was working with friends on homework assignments or planning the next trip, I was always happy to be social. I found myself, in general, to be happier and healthier in Sydney. Although Sydney can be expensive, I found ways to budget without missing out on experiences. The access to affordable, fresh produce at Paddy's Market was a highlight for me! Going forward from this experience, I feel confident in my ability to plan and work with people. Before Sydney, I had never pushed myself to budget so intensely or plan trips so specifically, but these are skills that are now invaluable to me. My time in Sydney made me grow as a person and I can't wait to see how this influences my life back in the United States.

More planned trips!
Katie

Loved It

I had an amazing time aboard and would highly recommend studying in Sydney if you have a chance to do so. I loved the culture the people and the food there. It was a laid back and chill vibe, which is in contrast from the fast paced intense life style in New York. With the small cohort abroad I found it easier to meet other NYU Students that I might not have been friends with if I'd meet them in New York. The small classes allowed for professors to know us and engage in more meaningful discussions.

This program could be improved if classes met more than once a week. I thought that 3 hour classes were long and it was hard to stay focused for 3 hours.
Nickie

NYU Sydney Fall 2017

Studying in Australia was a great idea because the weather throughout the semester was perfect! I got to escape the cold weather of New York and went to tons of beaches in Australia. It was really cool to see how different the culture was in terms of people, food, social life, etc. A big perk about studying abroad in Sydney was being able to travel to tons of other countries and explore the different parts of Australia.

The walk to school from the living accommodation is pretty long but you get to exercise everyday so yay
Julia

Fall at NYU Sydney

I had an amazing time with NYU Sydney. The classes were really thoughtful and interesting and the teachers were all very knowledgable about what they were teaching. The staff for student life were some of the nicest people I have ever met and they always had new, free oppurtunities to explore Sydney and the surrounding areas. The weather was really beautiful aImost every day and the beaches were easily accessible through public transportation. I loved my time there and would recommend it to everyone.

The residence hall is a bit far from the academic building.
Jenna

Loved it

I absolutely loved my time in Sydney. The faculty are all great, and I did so many fun things outside of class. Australia was always a dream of mine and it definitely lived up to my expectations. The program is smaller than other ones, but as someone who is a bit shy I liked it. I think I spoke to everyone at least once. Surry hills was probably my favorite part of sydney. It is great for shopping and just walking around!

The one kinda annoying thing was that classes were kinda far from housing.
Jarek

Fall for Sydney

I greatly enjoyed my time at NYU Sydney. This was my first experience studying abroad and it surpassed all of my expectations. Sydney as a city is a great place for study. The beautiful weather kept me in a fantastic mood for most of my time there and made me more motivated to excel in school. I was also lucky enough to travel a bunch due to the more relaxed schedule of the program compared to the New York campus. I had a great semester and only regret not having more time!

More course offerings would be great!
Chioma

NYU Sydney

My time in Sydney was life-changing, spontaneous, and eye opening. I applied to go to NYU Sydney on a whim on the day applications were due, and deciding to go was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. The staff members at NYU Sydney were welcoming and kind and always open to answer even the most ridiculous of questions that we students tend to have. The academics was challenging but do-able, with small class sizes that allow the students to have deep class conversations as well as form a strong bond with the professors. The city of Sydney itself was beautiful with tons of gorgeous beaches, delicious restaurants as well as a vibrant nightlife. Although every trip abroad has its challenges, from homesickness to the stress of school work, there is nothing that I would chang about my time in Sydney.

Suhail

A Brief Reflection of My Time Abroad

For the Spring semester of my sophomore year of my undergraduate career, I studied abroad in the NYU study away site located in Sydney, Australia. This was, by far, one of the greatest experiences of my life. Living on the opposite side of the globe was a truly eye-opening and strengthening experience in many respects. I spent four months living with people of a completely different culture than what I was used to. My responsibilities included being a full time student taking seventeen credits, as well as being a keen observer of a lifestyle much different than my own. I tried to make sure to take in as much as I could and participate in as many activities as possible. I learned about Aboriginal culture and the struggles they are still facing today in Australia, which parallels much of the same struggles Native Americans face here in America. One day that stands out to me in my study abroad experience is when I volunteered at Dharawal National Park. Fellow NYU Sydney students, local community members, park rangers, and I all helped plant hundreds of trees in an area of the national park that experienced deforestation. Tasks included working in teams to dig holes, place nutrients, plant seedlings, and erecting fences for each tree we planted. After a long day of hard work, we were lucky enough to see an Aboriginal Discovery Ranger share parts of her culture with us through a presentation on bush tucker. Another valuable experienced I gained came from the trio we took the Blue Mountains, where we hiked through different types of terrain and were given a presentation by an Aboriginal man about heh struggles he and his ancestors went through since the time the British landed on the shores of the gigantic island. We heard about these past, and his current struggles and were able to empathize with him simply by hearing him out and imagining and recognizing his struggle. Overall, I learned how to be more responsible, money management skills, how to be independent, and I also gained a confidence I do not believe I ever would have had had I never studied abroad. This was meaningful to me because it made me into a better version of myself who would not have existed otherwise. Studying abroad exposed me to different customs and cultures that I have never seen before. It instilled in me a newfound confidence in myself and appreciation for different peoples and cultures. For example, after volunteering at Dharawal National Park, I learned about Aboriginal customs and traditions from an actual Aboriginal; this is something that likely would have never happened had I not studied abroad. This experience made me more accepting of people who come from different walks of life than myself, more so than I already did living in New York City.

More class offerings and more internship and research opportunities for science students.
Meghna

Fall Semester at NYU Sydney

Nearly 10,000 miles away from the familiarity of NYC, I could not wait to spend a whole semester abroad at NYU Sydney to immerse myself in a completely new culture. Upon arriving to Sydney, I was amazed at the liveliness of the city as I sat in a cab from the airport. I was incredibly excited to gain global awareness and expand my cultural horizons through this new experience of spending my fall semester at NYU Sydney. Additionally, I truly enjoyed all my classes because professors were engaging and very understanding of the fact that we all wanted to experience as much of the city as we could in the short amount time that we had. Thus, they took us on several field trips that allowed us to learn through exploring several areas of Sydney. Outside of academic field trips, the faculty also planned excursions around Sydney, such as an overnight trip to the Blue Mountains. These trips truly allowed me to make the best of my time abroad by venturing to several different sites that I might not have been able to plan for on my own. Overall, the academic life abroad was both enlightening and manageable which provided the perfect balance of learning and exploring Australia. My semester abroad in Sydney was filled illuminating experiences that truly deepened my education as an NYU student and my growth as person.

About NYU Global Programs

NYU Global Programs provides study abroad experiences at 11 academic centers in Accra, Ghana; Berlin, Germany; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Florence, Italy; London, England; Madrid, Spain; Paris, France; Prague, Czech Republic; Sydney, Australia; Tel...