USAC Australia: Gold Coast at Griffith University

USAC and Griffith University have teamed up to offer students the chance to experience the beauty of Queensland, Australia while maintaining their studies. Griffith University is split into five different campuses, with Gold Coast being one of the locations. Different courses are offered at the different campuses, throughout Queensland in the cities of Brisbane and Gold Coast. Please refer to the USAC website for more information.

• Get a true taste of Australian culture
  • Choose from a comprehensive range of courses, including specializations in Criminology, Tourism and Sport Management, Asia-Pacific Studies, and Environmental Science
  • Enjoy vibrant cities with access to magnificent beaches, pristine rain forest, and the Great Barrier Reef
  • Study at one of the most creative and influential universities in the Asia-Pacific region

Kaitlyn

Life Down Under

Studying abroad in Gold Coast, Australia was the absolute greatest experience of my life. Before my time abroad I had never really traveled before. I had only seen the ocean once, and I had never even been on a plane. I was extremely nervous to travel alone and be so far, for so long. But, you learn very quickly that so many others are in the same position as you, and you are all just excited to make new friends and embark on this incredible journey. Experiencing life in another country is a wonderful opportunity. I’ve learned and grown so much as a person. I went on incredible adventures. My favorite being scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef. I remember thinking before I left that the hardest part of studying abroad was going to be leaving my family for 4 months. I soon learned that the hardest part of my journey was leaving my new home away from home and all the amazing people I met along the way. I think my biggest tip would be to always be yourself, and don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone.

Having more advisors for international students. Sometimes I felt a little lost with school and the locals did not always understand my questions.
Afton

Gold Coast Love

This place was amazing. I loved every second of this program. Not only did I get to learn how this country teaches, which is completely different from the US, but I also got to experience the beautiful land. Everyone is super friendly and wants to help you better yourself in any way. This place is one of my fondest memories. I would highly recommend going to study abroad in Australia and/or at least visit. You will never be the same after experiencing this culture. Also, other countries are so close and highly recommend traveling to them as well.

I would hope there will be more coursework available to students coming to study abroad. I know that there was some classes I couldn't take because the school wouldn't allow it.
Merle

Great Experience

The Gold Coast is a beautiful place to study and you have the opportunity to find your own housing and live right on the beach. There is something to do for everyone, from nature lovers to party animals and the Gold Coast is also a good starting point to travel to other parts of Australia as well as surrounding countries so that you really have more than enough things to do while you're studying abroad there. That's why you'll hopefully gain some very good time management skills.

As of the classes and the actual studying, the academic level is not as high as I expected it to be but in some classes it is still difficult to get good grades since there are a lot of group projects where everyone gets graded the same no matter what they controbuted to the group work.

Meghan

Great location and school

The Gold Coast is the ideal location for any study abroad student looking to explore all that Australia has to offer. From nightlife to beaches to academic settings, the Gold Coast provided it all. The opportunity to travel is also very present: whether it be renting a car and driving down to Byron Bay or booking a flight from Goldy to Sydney for the weekend, student travel is very common and VERY easy.

Help with finding housing. I was stressed for a while before I left for the Gold Coast because I wasn't sure what my housing situation would be. It turned out fine but I think it is an issue that should be addressed.
Kat

Wish I could go back! Gold Coast, AUS

Studying abroad had to be one of the best experiences of my life!
While it was a little interesting getting everything organized, as when I studied abroad in 2004 it was the first year they did the program at Griffith - so everything was new & unknown in a sense for everyone.
But once it was all organized & over the mini home-sick feeling in the beginning - it was amazing!
The Gold Coast is gorgeous, always something going on & the people are super nice!!
Australia is super easy to travel - there is so much to see, very diverse, so try to see as much as you can!
You only live once!

Better communication on where to stay when you first arrive and when to arrive (I was there 2 weeks earlier than I needed to be, so that added up fast) Having counselors/advisors present when you arrive to the Gold Coast to help assist with finding a place to live and how to get around, not just meeting once & leaving you all on your own.

Again, luckily it all worked out - met great new friends to live with in a beachside condo, all on our own and figured out where to go & how to get around. Everything works out in the end.