ISA Study Abroad in Florianopolis, Brazil

ISA Study Abroad in Florianopolis, Brazil

Want to study abroad near the beautiful beaches of Brazil? This ISA program is located in Florianópolis, which is home to a wide selection of breathtaking beaches. Not only that, but students will get to enjoy its rolling mountains, sand dunes and countless offshore islands. Florianópolis is the perfect location for those that are looking for a safe, friendly and endlessly entertaining city.

At Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina (UNISUL), students can take Portuguese language courses and will learn about Brazil's culture and global economic significance. A range of housing options are available, but home-stays are encouraged as they give students a typical Brazilian experience. There are no substitutes for familiar faces to practice your developing language skills with. Also, you will learn more about Brazilian culture and families, and explore places only the locals know about. Register with ISA today!

South America » Brazil » Florianopolis

Florianópolis

Joelle
Lexington, KY
University of Kentucky

"If I were a country, I would be Brazil"

I went abroad with a University of Kentucky marketing professor and 25 other students to Floripa during the World Cup last summer arranged by ISA! The focus was on World Cup marketing and brand awareness. We had class a few times a week, took site visits to companies such as Mormaii and Alltech, and also got to visit the nearby city Curitiba for the Brazil vs Cameroon game. This was one of the most fun and interactive programs I've seen at UK and I was so happy when I found out I was accepted!

The ISA staff was with us every step of the way, whether it came to finding us last minute Fanfest tickets or showing us local spots or even just being there to translate for us, they always went above and beyond to make our trip as great as possible! The World Cup hosts viewing parties for the games for those who cannot attend and we waited in line all morning to get wristbands. They sold out right before we reached the end and Rodrigo, the ISA director for Floripa spent an hour calling different people to find us wristbands and by some miracle, was able to get them for us! I really don't know what we would've done without Rodrigo. Getting to watch the Brazil game with thousands of Brazilians was the coolest experience, you can feel how Football runs through their veins!

As far as the actual country of Brazil, I've never visited such a diverse and beautiful country. You could go from city to mountains to ocean all within the same day if you wanted to. One day we visited Costa de Lagoa which was a fishermans island that you could only reach by boat. Some of the best seafood and views I've experienced in life. And the food! I have yet to find another country that has such a wide array of DELICIOUS food. I love food, I love the beach, and I love exploring. Brazil, I will find my way back to you soon!

Obrigada, ISA for arranging such a fun and unique trip that I will not soon forget!

My program was very different than typical study abroad programs with ISA. I really have nothing negative to say because Rodrigo and the other ISA staff did everything possible to make our trip as smooth and fun as possible! The only way this program could have been improved was for it to be longer :)

Emily
Grand Valley State University

A different kind of learning experience

This was my second time studying abroad with ISA and I was not disappointed! The location of the program was spectacular and offered many cultural and outdoor activities, so I spent most of my weekends exploring the island with Brazilians and other international students. The ISA staff were very helpful and made sure we were all placed in appropriate classes and living situations, and also motivated us to take advantage of our time abroad. My only disappointment was the class offerings. Because our group was so small, many of my first choices were canceled after I had already applied to the program and I had to settle for classes I was less interested in. Overall, though, studying and living with a host family in Floripa was a valuable and unforgettable experience!

I would offer more classes to international students.

jessieh
Knoxville, Tennessee
University of Tennessee- Knoxville

Foreign Paradise

The most rewarding experience was when I traveled to Manaus—the capital of the state of Amazonas. Here I was exposed to a different reality: where the rivers are highways, where people travel by boat, and where tribes fish and hunt for food. I was able to go back to a primitive state of life with no currency, buildings, politics, or problems. I found myself surrounded by natural beauty. Visiting the Amazon was one of the most pleasurable experiences I had in Brazil because it reminded me of life’s beauty and what living is all about. It connected me with the natural world and showed me how living a simple life can be attainable in this day of time.

Personally, the Brazilian people and culture touched me. I was able to grow personally and pursue what I cared about in life. Nobody knew me and most would not see me again. I was completely and confidently myself in the purest form. I was millions of miles from reality and everything I knew.

Some difficulties I encountered was the language barrier. Yet, now that I am back in America I am experiencing a re-entry culture shock. This quote sums up how I feel, “everything that used to be familiar is now strange and everything that used to be strange is now familiar.”

I would have said something about me not liking my host family at the very beginning instead of waiting to see if things got better.

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa,