CIEE Liberal Arts in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Friends watching Sunrise on Copacabana Beach
Sunrise on Copacabana
Sunrise on Copacabana
CIEE Study Abroad (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

Bring your Spanish or Portuguese skills to gorgeous Rio de Janeiro and master them! Dive into university life and immerse yourself in the Brazilian culture, history, art, and literature with fascinating coursework at CIEE Global Institute – Rio de Janeiro and CIEE’s partner school, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio). Courses are taught in English or Portuguese, across a range of subject areas, including art, business, economics, history, international relations, and social communications. Enrich the experience by volunteering and helping with education, health, or community building. Students agree to speak only Portuguese to encourage language and cultural acquisition. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• Make the most of your semester with a program designed to help international students succeed.
  • Live and learn in one of the world’s most beautiful urban settings, and the epicenter of Latin America’s largest economy.
  • Take courses in Portuguese and meet South American peers at Brazil’s top university.

Win up to $3,000 for 2020 Study Abroad with CIEE!

Put “study abroad” on your 2020 calendar! Enter the Seize the Season Sweepstakes for a chance to be one of eight lucky students who will share up to $24,000 in study abroad scholarships with CIEE. Choose your prize: $1,500 toward any of 80+ summer study abroad programs or $3,000 toward any of 100+ fall study abroad programs. The sweepstakes ends on April 15, 2020. Enter today!

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Rafael

CIEE Rio de Janeiro, January-June

They say you won't experience growth without some discomfort; the CIEE Rio de Janeiro Program was one of the most emotionally and mentally difficult undertakings I have ever taken, and as a result, I left Brasil feeling completely transformed. Rio de Janeiro is an extremely difficult city to live in because there is so much going on at any given moment. Rio too is in a stage of transformation, hence, a very obvious tension exists throughout the streets. But through all that anxiety (which, to be quite honest, is normal as a foreigner in completely new country where people speak a language that isn't your first) CIEE was an absolute shelter and recovery station. They have a great team in Rio who work to make sure you are safe, happy, and using all the resources you need, and that are available to you. They weren't just instructors; if you spend time with them and talk to them, they become friends. CIEE was also a marvelous liaison between PUC (the school) and you, making sure the paperwork and politics streamlined seamlessly between you and the school. This is a MARVELOUS program. If you want to grow, and change, Rio is the city for you. If you want to grow AND change in Rio, AND feel taken care of, safe, and like there is help and someone to talk to about anything at any given moment, CIEE Rio de Janeiro is for you.

CIEE did a fantastic job. If anything, I think PUC and the difficulty of socialization between International Students and Cariocas was the only real thing I would change, but PUC is now working on more socializing events between international students and Rio de Janeiro locals.
Rafael

Rio de Janeiro with CIEE

Claire

Six Months in Another World

I knew when I got on the plane to Rio that it would be one of the most important six months of my life so far, but I couldn't imagine just how different I'd be when I left. Over the course of a long semester abroad, I fell in and out of love on a daily basis with one of the craziest, scariest, most breathtaking places on the planet, and I can't imagine having chosen to go anywhere else. Rio is a city of extremes, but learning to fit into the rhythms of carioca life and truly feel at home in the city, whether on the beaches, in a downtown café, or in a favela as part of my research and internship, was one of the most rewarding experiences imaginable and a huge marker of personal growth. During this time, CIEE was an amazing support system, for everything from navigating doctor's appointments or the Brazilian postal system to trading memories, music, and food recommendations. It's only been a little while since I left Brazil, but already I miss it - I miss sitting on Ipanema Beach with nothing but ocean between me and the South Pole, I miss weekend morning hikes through the Tijuca National Forest, and most of all I miss the friends I made in Rio, all the time we spent traipsing through Copacabana, dancing in the streets during Carnaval, killing time between classes. Rio really does pull you in and leave a little part of itself in you - once you leave, you're always counting the days until you go back.