Seamster: Virgin Islands to Antigua - 20 Days

The staff and I
The staff and I
An image of the sunrise from a high point in the BVI
An image of the sunrise from a high point in the BVI
Nearly the entire crew after hiking up "The Ladder" in Saba. Several of these people hiked up to the highest point in the Netherlands, Mount Scenery.
An external view of the ship while doing some sailing on a smaller vessel.
An external view of the ship while doing some sailing on a smaller vessel.

Shift your summer into overdrive with the journey of a lifetime. Your adventure begins in the British Virgin Islands where you'll discover why the Caribbean is a diver's and sailor's paradise. Dip beneath her aquamarine waters and meet marine life of every shape and shade.

Explore above her surface and find lush islands, ancient volcanoes, and white sand beaches. Sail on her legendary blue-green waves and take in jade mountains against iridescent sunrises and sunsets. Each of the 25 islands within the Leeward Islands offers a distinct cultural and geographic backdrop, so you'll sail throughout the island chain--visiting Saba, St. Eustatius, Nevis, Antigua, St. Barts and the British Virgin Islands. Along the way, you'll score 3 credit hours is basic seamanship.

• Become A Certified Scuba Diver
  • Learn To Sail
  • Explore The Caribbean
  • Earn 3 College Credits

Sea|mester Voyages Filling Fast

With limited space aboard each vessel, each trip typically fills up within three months of the start date. Click the link below to see our updated availability on all of our 2020 voyages.

Seamester Scholarships
Seamester Scholarships & Financial Aid

Seamester offers a number of Financial Aid and Scholarship options available for those looking toward funding to make their experience possible.

$500 - $10,000

Evan

20 Days on Ocean Star

In my final semester at USF I was required to take an international trip with classwork for at least 2 weeks. This 20 day sailing adventure from the BVI to Antigua and back was the perfect fit! My next step in schooling was a PhD in marine geology at the University of Miami, so having the ability to dive in this wide variety of locations was truly eye opening. In addition to the extensive dive training, learning how to properly sail was an amazing experience. As a kiteboarder, I have always loved the wind and water, but have never made any large passages at sea by sailing vessel. This allowed me to do that, and learn how to sail these complex tall ships. The food was great, from cooking together in teams in the ships galley, to going out in foreign countries for dinner, this is a great experience that you want to sign up for! The friends you make will be remembered forever!

If you have any desire to be a marine scientist, or just to see what is out there in the natural world, this trip is for you. It will open your eyes to how we interact with the oceans.
Ruby

Ruby's Seamester Journey

Once I landed in Tortola, carried my duffel bag down the marina to Fire Bolt and Ocean Star, I knew I was in for an incredible 20 day voyage. An experience like no other, engages me and the fellow college students to step outside the confines of their standard classroom and live aboard a boat in the middle of the ocean. The lessons I learned were life changing because I was never exposed to diving with a regulator or understanding points of sail. When I jumped in the salty water, covered many nautical miles, watched the anchor at various late hours of the night, and made a second family with the staff and other students aboard, I could feel a new door open with joy and excitement. This was a new chapter in my life and I loved being at sea with people I now call my good friends!

Honestly I had a great time all around, but maybe a couple of suggestions on how to maintain diving or sailing post course in your hometown or nearby.
Alex

Life changer

By faaarrr, the best experiences of my life. Every Seamester I’ve been on, I could relive them 100 times over. Every staff and student have been incredible. The relationships and friends I’ve formed through these adventures will stay with me for the rest of my life. I couldn’t urge and encourage more strongly whoever reads this, Seamester is an experience everyone must go through! I’m in love with this program. Everyone involved is a rockstar. The staff are incredibly knowledgeable and experienced. I’ve been on several Seamester’s and every one, though different, every one has been exceptional! I’ve made life long friends that I still talk to and we still see each other! Seamester takes you to places you’d never dream of going! It’ll change your life, and for soo much better!

Make it longer! Take advantage of every minute you can!
Katie

Best experience of my life

This trip completely changed my life. I was So nervous going into it but within the first 2 days I knew I had Already made lifelong friends. the staff did a great job of making me feel comfortable onboard, helping us constantly, and even making us feel like friends and comrades rather than just being our instructors. Living on board was also an experience in itself. Overnight sails were my absolute favorite, getting to see the sunset and seeing all the stars was amazing. Between going on dives, going ashore for hikes or even horseback riding, it was an amazing experience. If you get the opportunity to go, do it. You will not regret it. I made memories and friends I will have for the rest of my life. I am So thankful I got The opportunity to go on an expedition with SeaMester

Julia

The Trip That Changed My Life

Water has been one of my favorite things ever since I was little. At one my parents went on a sailing vacation and I have never been away from water since then. This trip deepened my love for not only the water but nature as a whole. Being able to live on a boat in which I received an exemplary education on and about sailing that was entirely a hands on experience altered my life. Furthermore, literally deepening my understanding of the water through the scuba diving experience gave me a new insight on the water as well as a new activity to take part in. Lastly, this whole experience exposed me to how important our nature is and how important it is to protect both land and sea. I loved my life aboard, and love life now more because of it. From this point on I wish to pursue sailing and traveling more so than ever. If you have the opportunity TAKE it. If you are looking to become a better person and learn through hands on experience then this is for you. I wish I could live the SeaMester life forever, but since I cannot... I hope you live your best adventure for me.

If you get the chance, congratulations... you are a lucky one. Take every single moment in and treasure it forever because once it is over you will be so happy that you did. Learn not only from the books, but more so from the activities that you are able to do and the people you spend time with. The relationships that you create may carry one for a long time. 4 months removed and I am still in contact with 90% of my crew. It is and so much more than words will ever describe.
Maya

Seamester is absolutely phenomenal!

Going into this program, I had very little idea of what to expect.
Although I had been on boats before, I had never been sailing, traveled out of the country by myself, and had never scuba dived. All these and more were just the beginnings of my firsts aboard the Ocean Star, and were completed within the first few days of the program.
Along with the unforgettable experiences of learning how to sail, dive, and experience living on a boat, I met some of the most amazing and inspiring young adults (and instructors) that continue to be a close and amazing resource for me today. I would recommend this program to anyone with an adventurous spirit and sense of adventure (and I have)
This program was absolutely amazing, and I could not have asked for a better way to meet new people, travel the world, and learn so much about myself and sailing.

Alisia

A Voyage to Remember

This trip truly changed me for the better. It sparked a love of travel and exploration that was so beneficial for me, I can barely put it into words. It helped me grow as a person on so many levels. I learned valuable skills and life lessons that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Given the opportunity, I would go back in a quick heart beat. There's nothing like living and working on a boat like Ocean Star. In fact, she was more than just a boat. Ocean Star was home to everyone aboard and we quickly became our own little family unit out there on the water. It's an adventure worth taking because it truly is unlike anything I've ever experienced before, and I am forever grateful that I had the opportunity to experience it all. I loved it.

Rachel

The trip of a lifetime

This was the absolute trip of a lifetime and if you get the opportunity to go I highly recommend it. It will challenge you in ways you would never expect but also help you grow as an individual. Everyday you engage in new things that you would never expect and you visit amazing places that you will probably never see again unless you travel in the Caribbean a lot. Each moment spent on the vessel, on land, in the water, etc is very valuable. The friends you will make on your magical journey become family forever. I definitely would go on another semester trip in a heartbeat if the opportunity arises again. From anchor watches to watch teams to trying to scuba dive it is all amazing. Push yourself to the best that you can be and you will go far.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
if I had to change one thing it would engaging more with my shipmates.
Laura

Unforgettable

This experience was truly unique and a once in a lifetime adventure. For future participants: do everything. Jump off the bow. Get creative in the galley, look forward to anchor watch. Eat something you've never had before. Climb a mango tree. This program reaffirmed my love for the ocean and passion for marine conservation. All the interactions with the locals made me see how much I love new experiences, interacting and meeting new people, learning about new cultures. A useful tip: bring as little as possible and keep yourself open to new experiences.

Keep doing what you're doing!
Ashley

Once in a lifetime

Earlier this summer I went on a 20 day sailing trip from the BVI's down to Antigua, island hopping the whole way. It was such an amazing experience. I made great friends, saw incredible sights, learned how to sail a boat (not something I saw myself doing), and scuba diving. There was a really nice balance between work time and free time. Everyone on the boat was super nice and accommodating. If you are looking for a once in a lifetime way to spend your summer, go with Sea Mester.

Anna Lane

Seamester 20-Day Caribbean Venture

Being a part of the Seamester crew this summer provided me with one of the best experiences I've ever had. Not only did I learn practical sailing and diving skills, but also what it means to be a part of a crew with all different backgrounds and interests. Seamester challenged me to be a better person, as well as taught me how to live in simplicity amongst the most gorgeous sights I've ever seen. There's something different about visiting different countries from the ocean, and Seamester's delivery of this was superb. I made some of my best friends while on my trip, and I am forever thankful for the way they both challenged me and encouraged me. I'd pay triple to do it all over again.

Make the trip never end!
Danielle

Set Sail for Fun

This is something you will never find anywhere else. The experience you get with SEAmester is uncomparable to your typical classroom setting. During my trip, I have made friends that will last a lifetime and experiences I will never forget. I had the best time hanging with the crew on our voyages and that will be something I remember forever. Take a risk and sign up because you will not regret it. I miss my Ocean Star and Firebolt crew!

Emily

One of the Best Experiences of My Life!

SeaMester was hands down one of the most INCREDIBLE experiences I have ever had in my life. I loved meeting all the new people that were on OceanStar and FireBolt. The staff Eric, Cooper, Marina, and Bobbie made the experience 1000x better than I thought it could be. Everyone on OceanStar was always so friendly and helped you whenever you needed it. I wish I could go back!! If anyones considering taking part in one of these adventures, I say you MUST do it!

More land time!! Besides that everything was incredible, and kudos to the staff, all four of them were the best!
Jane

Chance of a Lifetime

This program was truly amazing. Every moment was filled with adventure and every adventure taught me something new. Life aboard was simple, it was hard work but it never demanded more than what we were capable of and more often than not it was fun. The classes we took were extremely informative and learning to operate the ship was amazing. This program definitely changed me for the better. I learned so much that inspired me to change my lifestyle. I learned from the people onboard, the environment around me, the ship itself, and the classes. Truthfully this is the experience of a lifetime and it is worth experiencing. The only thing to remember is you have to work for it, but that's part of what made it so incredible.

Brianna

Ocean Star

I loved seamester and all the great people on board. But my favorite time would have two be then last day, you realized these people who your crying over because your living is your new family and no matter how far you are away from each other they will always be here for you.