Seamster: Virgin Islands to Antigua - 20 Days

The staff and I
The staff and I
An image of the sunrise from a high point in the BVI
An image of the sunrise from a high point in the BVI
Nearly the entire crew after hiking up "The Ladder" in Saba. Several of these people hiked up to the highest point in the Netherlands, Mount Scenery.
An external view of the ship while doing some sailing on a smaller vessel.
An external view of the ship while doing some sailing on a smaller vessel.

Shift your summer into overdrive with the journey of a lifetime. Your adventure begins in the British Virgin Islands where you'll discover why the Caribbean is a diver's and sailor's paradise. Dip beneath her aquamarine waters and meet marine life of every shape and shade.

Explore above her surface and find lush islands, ancient volcanoes, and white sand beaches. Sail on her legendary blue-green waves and take in jade mountains against iridescent sunrises and sunsets. Each of the 25 islands within the Leeward Islands offers a distinct cultural and geographic backdrop, so you'll sail throughout the island chain--visiting Saba, St. Eustatius, Nevis, Antigua, St. Barts and the British Virgin Islands. Along the way, you'll score 3 credit hours is basic seamanship.

• Become A Certified Scuba Diver
  • Learn To Sail
  • Explore The Caribbean

Seamester Scholarships
Seamester Scholarships & Financial Aid

Seamester offers a number of Financial Aid and Scholarship options available for those looking toward funding to make their experience possible.

$500 - $1,500

Alisia

A Voyage to Remember

This trip truly changed me for the better. It sparked a love of travel and exploration that was so beneficial for me, I can barely put it into words. It helped me grow as a person on so many levels. I learned valuable skills and life lessons that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Given the opportunity, I would go back in a quick heart beat. There's nothing like living and working on a boat like Ocean Star. In fact, she was more than just a boat. Ocean Star was home to everyone aboard and we quickly became our own little family unit out there on the water. It's an adventure worth taking because it truly is unlike anything I've ever experienced before, and I am forever grateful that I had the opportunity to experience it all. I loved it.

Rachel

The trip of a lifetime

This was the absolute trip of a lifetime and if you get the opportunity to go I highly recommend it. It will challenge you in ways you would never expect but also help you grow as an individual. Everyday you engage in new things that you would never expect and you visit amazing places that you will probably never see again unless you travel in the Caribbean a lot. Each moment spent on the vessel, on land, in the water, etc is very valuable. The friends you will make on your magical journey become family forever. I definitely would go on another semester trip in a heartbeat if the opportunity arises again. From anchor watches to watch teams to trying to scuba dive it is all amazing. Push yourself to the best that you can be and you will go far.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
if I had to change one thing it would engaging more with my shipmates.
Laura

Unforgettable

This experience was truly unique and a once in a lifetime adventure. For future participants: do everything. Jump off the bow. Get creative in the galley, look forward to anchor watch. Eat something you've never had before. Climb a mango tree. This program reaffirmed my love for the ocean and passion for marine conservation. All the interactions with the locals made me see how much I love new experiences, interacting and meeting new people, learning about new cultures. A useful tip: bring as little as possible and keep yourself open to new experiences.

Keep doing what you're doing!
Ashley

Once in a lifetime

Earlier this summer I went on a 20 day sailing trip from the BVI's down to Antigua, island hopping the whole way. It was such an amazing experience. I made great friends, saw incredible sights, learned how to sail a boat (not something I saw myself doing), and scuba diving. There was a really nice balance between work time and free time. Everyone on the boat was super nice and accommodating. If you are looking for a once in a lifetime way to spend your summer, go with Sea Mester.

Anna Lane

Seamester 20-Day Caribbean Venture

Being a part of the Seamester crew this summer provided me with one of the best experiences I've ever had. Not only did I learn practical sailing and diving skills, but also what it means to be a part of a crew with all different backgrounds and interests. Seamester challenged me to be a better person, as well as taught me how to live in simplicity amongst the most gorgeous sights I've ever seen. There's something different about visiting different countries from the ocean, and Seamester's delivery of this was superb. I made some of my best friends while on my trip, and I am forever thankful for the way they both challenged me and encouraged me. I'd pay triple to do it all over again.

Make the trip never end!
Danielle

Set Sail for Fun

This is something you will never find anywhere else. The experience you get with SEAmester is uncomparable to your typical classroom setting. During my trip, I have made friends that will last a lifetime and experiences I will never forget. I had the best time hanging with the crew on our voyages and that will be something I remember forever. Take a risk and sign up because you will not regret it. I miss my Ocean Star and Firebolt crew!

Emily

One of the Best Experiences of My Life!

SeaMester was hands down one of the most INCREDIBLE experiences I have ever had in my life. I loved meeting all the new people that were on OceanStar and FireBolt. The staff Eric, Cooper, Marina, and Bobbie made the experience 1000x better than I thought it could be. Everyone on OceanStar was always so friendly and helped you whenever you needed it. I wish I could go back!! If anyones considering taking part in one of these adventures, I say you MUST do it!

More land time!! Besides that everything was incredible, and kudos to the staff, all four of them were the best!
Jane

Chance of a Lifetime

This program was truly amazing. Every moment was filled with adventure and every adventure taught me something new. Life aboard was simple, it was hard work but it never demanded more than what we were capable of and more often than not it was fun. The classes we took were extremely informative and learning to operate the ship was amazing. This program definitely changed me for the better. I learned so much that inspired me to change my lifestyle. I learned from the people onboard, the environment around me, the ship itself, and the classes. Truthfully this is the experience of a lifetime and it is worth experiencing. The only thing to remember is you have to work for it, but that's part of what made it so incredible.

Brianna

Ocean Star

I loved seamester and all the great people on board. But my favorite time would have two be then last day, you realized these people who your crying over because your living is your new family and no matter how far you are away from each other they will always be here for you.

Christopher

Cheese In a Cup

Life aboard OStar is fast paced and always changing. Becoming friends with 19 people while learning how to sail can be a daunting task but the nervousness quickly passes because you must work as a team if you're going to sail OStar. Learning how to sail almost comes naturally, thanks to the knowledgeable and exciting staff. You begin to know your crew mates very well and after a long tiring day when you are doing dishes and slightly delusional you come up with songs like cheese in a cup. These moments are what bond you into an OStar family, a family that you will always miss and never forget. This trip was a life changing experience for me and I would encourage anyone to become a part of the OStar family.

Margaret

FriendSHIPs

The adventure was not to be believed. I learned so much about myself and other people on this trip. I saw beautiful places and was humbled by the challenge of sailing and the fact that nature is in charge. I made life long friends and explored with them. Living with people like I did on Ocean Star made me feel more prepared for college. It reminded me that being a part of a community means finding your place and helping others do so. Be respectful and get to know everyone. I wish I could go back and do it again. It was amazing. Highly suggest this program if you want to challenge yourself and meet awesome people.

More experience working with smaller boats (sailing and motor).

Alumni Interviews

About Seamester

Seamester offers unique educational voyages where students spend their time sailing between countries and continents. For more than 40 years, we have consistently delivered outstanding educational experiences for students. We design our programs to...