Seamester: Virgin Islands to Dominica - 40 Days

Ocean Star underway
Ocean Star underway
Diving off Ocean Star
Diving off Ocean Star
A beautiful beach on the island of Barbuda
Scuba diving in the BVI
Scuba diving in the BVI
Diving with sea turtles in Saba

Seeking a Caribbean adventure that's shorter than a full semester but longer than a vacation break? You've found it. Explore the Caribbean's most coveted diving spots: wreck dives, wall dives and one of the world's largest barrier reefs. Meet loggerhead turtles, seahorses and whale sharks along the way. Cultivate your sailing skills while island hopping among Nevis, Dominica, Guadeloupe, The Saints, Antigua, St. Barts, St. Eustatius and Saba. Don't worry; you'll give each island the personal attention it deserves by surfing and snorkeling in their pristine waters, trekking along their dormant volcanoes and immersing yourself into the unique landscapes and cultures each has to offer. All the while, you'll be earning six college credits as well as sailing and diving certifications.

• Become A Certified Scuba Diver
  • Learn To Sail
  • Earn 6 Credits

Seamester Scholarships
Seamester Scholarships & Financial Aid

Seamester offers a number of Financial Aid and Scholarship options available for those looking toward funding to make their experience possible.

$500 - $1,500

Charles

Best Experience ever

This trip changed my life in one of the most amazing ways. It allowed me to meet a new group of people and visit places I wouldn't have gone to on my own. This trip was definitely out of my comfort zone but I knew it was something that id be able to overcome and it was well worth it. A year ago today I never would have thought I would have been able to handle 40 days on a boat but after this experience I would do it all over again. The sailing was beyond fun and it was great to be a part of a crew rather than being catered to the entire trip. on top of that, the certifications we received are once that I am excited to have and are beneficial for what i see myself doing in my future. This trip also gave me to oppertunity to scuba dive in some very unique areas seeing shipwrecks and beautiful reefs

Edwin

Simply Amazing

Since starting college I always wanted to participate in a Semester at Sea program. I found a lot after doing research, but Sea|mester stuck out to me. After browsing through the website I knew this was the program for me. Traveling down to Tortola I had no idea what to expect. I knew I liked boats, loved the Caribbean, and wanted an adventure. It took a little bit of time to get acquainted to living on a sail boat, but once I got into it, I felt I could do this for years. My crew mates were from all over the US and the world. They were an amazing group of people and I'm happy to call them my friends. The staff was incredible, super fun, friendly and supportive. My crew mates and I learned how to sail, scuba dive, and live life on the sea. We did fun activities on land like hiking, tours, horse back riding, and biking. Its always super fun to go exploring with friends through out an island you know nothing about. Each day would have an assigned "Skipper" who would write a log, these got super fun and creative. I saw the most stars in my life during night voyages, I can still picture in my mind how bright the night sky was in the middle the Caribbean. I was scared to scuba dive at first, but it is one of my favorite things to do now. Amy, Steph, Carolyn, and Ian were the best staff I could ask for. Incredible experience that I would recommend to anyone.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would do a longer program instead of the 40 day.
Izy

Amazing Experience!

It’s hard to describe this trip without a novel length review, so I’ll hit the highlights: The staff are amazing. They’re not afraid to challenge you, and I’m so glad that’s the case because I learned from every one of those intimidating experiences. I employ the lessons I learned daily, all thanks to a passionate staff willing to take 18 crazy sailors on a wild journey. The bond I formed with my crewmates during night watches and sunrise hikes and rough waters is something I will have for the rest of my life. And all of this happened while diving and learning how to sail in some of the most beautiful places in the world. If I had to choose again, I would choose this voyage in a hearbeat and if you have the opportunity to go, do it! Thanks to all the Ocean Star and Sea|Mester staff who made my trip amazing, I won’t forget it!

Elizabeth

Seamester=Awesome

Going on Seamester was the best decision I've ever made. I cannot even describe everything that I learned and experienced. My two older brothers also went on this trip before me and my whole family loves this program. (3/3 loved it!)
Only when you're out in the middle of the ocean with the stars above you and the bioluminescent below you, do you understand how beautiful it all is. Semester was able to take us out there without any trouble, even though most of the students had no idea how to sail before we got there. As a land-locked novice to sailing I had the best time and learned SO much. The islands we visited were beautiful and interesting. I loved every hike we went on and every dive we dove and every minute of this trip.

Anya

sail the seas!

I absolutely loved this trip. I made incredible friends and learned to sail, all while taking a class that I could use at my college. I was very sad to leave after my 40 days, and would recommend a trip to anyone who wants to meet amazing people and have an adventure every single day. The SCUBA diving was amazing and I felt much more comfortable in my skills by the end of the trip. Even if you have never sailed before, it doesn't matter. You learn everything and by the end of the trip, we were all teaching each other new duties.

Amanda

Sailing outside your comfort zone

I can't describe this voyage in words, it is something that I wish everyone could experience and I highly recommend that if you have the opportunity to, do it! This was a completely life changing and rewarding trip, with memories I will never forget. One of my favorite memories was hiking to the last boiling lake in the world on the island of Dominica. The hike was beautiful and we got to end the day long hike with swimming in a refreshing river complete with waterfalls and natural whirlpools.

The only thing I would change would be allowing the students to sleep in a bit longer after night passages.
Max

Best Summer Ever

The trips from the BVIs to Dominica may be rough, but they're all worth it. Dominica has some of the most incredible diving and hiking that I have ever done. Thank god Seamester plans the longest stay there because there are endless activities to be done. The boiling lake hike, while challenging, is one of the most rewarding experiences. Once you leave Dominica it is all smooth sailing back up island. The courses may seem to get more intense at this point, but they're never overwhelming to the point of interfering with the overall experience.

More free time on shore could benefit the program

Staff Interviews

About Seamester

Seamester offers unique educational voyages where students spend their time sailing between countries and continents. For more than 40 years, we have consistently delivered outstanding educational experiences for students. We design our programs to...