Seamester: Virgin Islands to Dominica - 40 Days

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Seamester has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Diving with sea turtles in Saba
A beautiful beach on the island of Barbuda
Diving off Ocean Star
Horseback riding in Nevis
Horseback riding in Nevis
Ocean Star underway
Ocean Star underway

Seeking a Caribbean adventure that's shorter than a full semester but longer than a vacation break? You've found it. Explore the Caribbean's most coveted diving spots: wreck dives, wall dives and one of the world's largest barrier reefs. Meet loggerhead turtles, seahorses and whale sharks along the way. Cultivate your sailing skills while island hopping among Nevis, Dominica, Guadeloupe, The Saints, Antigua, St. Barts, St. Eustatius and Saba. Don't worry; you'll give each island the personal attention it deserves by surfing and snorkeling in their pristine waters, trekking along their dormant volcanoes and immersing yourself into the unique landscapes and cultures each has to offer. All the while, you'll be earning six college credits as well as sailing and diving certifications.

• Become A Certified Scuba Diver
  • Learn To Sail
  • Earn 6 Credits
  • Explore The Caribbean Leeward Islands

Sea|mester Voyages Filling Fast

With limited space aboard each vessel, each trip typically fills up within three months of the start date. Click the link below to see our updated availability on all of our 2020 voyages.

Seamester Scholarships
Seamester Scholarships & Financial Aid

Seamester offers a number of Financial Aid and Scholarship options available for those looking toward funding to make their experience possible.

$500 - $10,000

Mariah

Unique Study Abroad Experience

This is an awesome study abroad program with the ability to complete tons of certifications and simultaneously receiving college credit. The summer trip was very busy with lots of fun activities planned so there are no "off-days". Living aboard an 88 foot boat with 20 other people is actually less stressful and more comfortable than you might assume! It was an incredibly unique experience and I would highly recommend it for a study abroad program. Adjusting to academics on board is the most difficult part but I think that just takes time and would be easier with a longer trip. Completing the academics and multiple certifications in the 40 day trip was a pretty tight squeeze, if I could do it again I would take a longer trip so I could spend more time enjoying the experience and less time stressing over all of the different exams.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I got over my fear of sharks and actually ended up diving with them! I had never dove before this trip and it was an incredible, indescribable experience.
Eliza

Best Summer Vacation

This summer I had the life-changing experience of living on a boat for 40 days. The program itself was jam-packed, with scuba diving, first aid certifications and learning how to properly navigate a boat. It gave me skills I use in my everyday life and gave me a love for the ocean that I hope to have for the rest of my life. The beautiful landscapes and deep blue seas made an impression on me that will never fade. I wish i could go again. I would recommend this spectacular program to anyone who wants the adventure of a lifetime. The crew members were encouraging and also wanted to see you succeed in whatever you were doing. they challenged and aided us as we were sailing through rough waters or identifying types of coral in the ocean. truly amazing 10/10

If you do decide to go on this trip, pack snacks and lots of sun gear.
Owen

Awesome Trip.

This was an absolutely awesome trip. The Staff was just incredible in every way. They were supportive, friendly, and knowledgable about so much. They made you feel totally welcome and comfortable, and were awesome to talk to. Every place we were was unbelievable and the daily excursions were just great. The sights were so remarkable and super unique. We went biking, horseback riding, sailing, and hiking. We also got free time to explore the islands by ourselves. I learned so much about sailing, oceanography, scuba diving and marine biology. The staff was able to meet anyone at their level so that beginners to masters of any of the subjects could learn more. I also made lifelong friends and really bonded with many of the people on the trip.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Steering the ship downwind at night through rolling waves current.
Evan

My review

My experience on the Seamester trip was nothing like I have ever done before. I have very mixed feelings about what I went through. If I am 100% honest I loved a lot of it and also strongly disliked a lot of it. I will start off with what I did not like. I was very out of my comfort zone the entire time which I know is common. I was expecting this and did not mind it. The main thing I did not like was the sailing which was of course a big part of the trip. I got very sea sick every time, and did not have any interest in learning about sailing like many of the other students did. A few things however that I loved were the things we did on land. I loved visiting the different islands and exploring them. My absolute favorite part of the trip was hiking the waterfalls in Dominica. That was something I would love to do again in my lifetime. Overall it was a fantastic adventure that I will never forget. I am very glad I did it because of all the great benefits that came from it as well as it helped me really grow as a person.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
When we sailed from Tortola to Nevis they warned us that it would be a very rocky ride and for 30 hours straight. I was dreading this but managed to get through it despite it being very miserable. Now I know I can accomplish more than I realize.
Response from Seamester

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and share your experience. We truly value this feedback as it helps us continue to improve our programs!

Charles

Best Experience ever

This trip changed my life in one of the most amazing ways. It allowed me to meet a new group of people and visit places I wouldn't have gone to on my own. This trip was definitely out of my comfort zone but I knew it was something that id be able to overcome and it was well worth it. A year ago today I never would have thought I would have been able to handle 40 days on a boat but after this experience I would do it all over again. The sailing was beyond fun and it was great to be a part of a crew rather than being catered to the entire trip. on top of that, the certifications we received are once that I am excited to have and are beneficial for what i see myself doing in my future. This trip also gave me to oppertunity to scuba dive in some very unique areas seeing shipwrecks and beautiful reefs

Edwin

Simply Amazing

Since starting college I always wanted to participate in a Semester at Sea program. I found a lot after doing research, but Sea|mester stuck out to me. After browsing through the website I knew this was the program for me. Traveling down to Tortola I had no idea what to expect. I knew I liked boats, loved the Caribbean, and wanted an adventure. It took a little bit of time to get acquainted to living on a sail boat, but once I got into it, I felt I could do this for years. My crew mates were from all over the US and the world. They were an amazing group of people and I'm happy to call them my friends. The staff was incredible, super fun, friendly and supportive. My crew mates and I learned how to sail, scuba dive, and live life on the sea. We did fun activities on land like hiking, tours, horse back riding, and biking. Its always super fun to go exploring with friends through out an island you know nothing about. Each day would have an assigned "Skipper" who would write a log, these got super fun and creative. I saw the most stars in my life during night voyages, I can still picture in my mind how bright the night sky was in the middle the Caribbean. I was scared to scuba dive at first, but it is one of my favorite things to do now. Amy, Steph, Carolyn, and Ian were the best staff I could ask for. Incredible experience that I would recommend to anyone.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would do a longer program instead of the 40 day.
Izy

Amazing Experience!

It’s hard to describe this trip without a novel length review, so I’ll hit the highlights: The staff are amazing. They’re not afraid to challenge you, and I’m so glad that’s the case because I learned from every one of those intimidating experiences. I employ the lessons I learned daily, all thanks to a passionate staff willing to take 18 crazy sailors on a wild journey. The bond I formed with my crewmates during night watches and sunrise hikes and rough waters is something I will have for the rest of my life. And all of this happened while diving and learning how to sail in some of the most beautiful places in the world. If I had to choose again, I would choose this voyage in a hearbeat and if you have the opportunity to go, do it! Thanks to all the Ocean Star and Sea|Mester staff who made my trip amazing, I won’t forget it!

Elizabeth

Seamester=Awesome

Going on Seamester was the best decision I've ever made. I cannot even describe everything that I learned and experienced. My two older brothers also went on this trip before me and my whole family loves this program. (3/3 loved it!)
Only when you're out in the middle of the ocean with the stars above you and the bioluminescent below you, do you understand how beautiful it all is. Semester was able to take us out there without any trouble, even though most of the students had no idea how to sail before we got there. As a land-locked novice to sailing I had the best time and learned SO much. The islands we visited were beautiful and interesting. I loved every hike we went on and every dive we dove and every minute of this trip.