API Study Abroad Program at UTFSM in Valaparasio, Chile

API Study Abroad Program at UTFSM in Valaparasio, Chile

API has partnered with the esteemed Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María to offer students the chance to live and study abroad in Chile. This is one of Chile's oldest universities, and was designed to provide opportunities for academically-gifted Chilean students to study science and technology, regardless of their social class. Today, the University is recognized as one of the best universities in Chile for science, engineering and technology.

Visiting international students complete an intensive Spanish course prior to the start of the regular academic semester, during which they complete coursework in English and Spanish alongside their Chilean peers. For this reason, it is highly recommended that students have a strong understanding of the Spanish language before applying for this program.

South America » Chile » Valparaíso

albirroja
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Fitchburg State University

Challenge yourself

During the school year I knew I wanted to study abroad, as many graduates I have talked to along the way said that was the one thing they regret never doing. I was too far into my major meaning if I went during the school year I'd have to push back graduation by a semester. Luckily, I found out API offers a fantastic summer program to fulfill my wish.

I chose Chile over Espana and Europe because of expenses. I've also always been more attracted to the Latin culture due to their inviting, homey attitude. I knew I wanted to improve my understanding and speaking of the Spanish language, as well as gain a strong sense of an outside culture. API sent me to PUCV in Valparaiso, and I was able to accomplish just that. The host family was fantastic. They were so welcoming, kind and caring. The location was great, very close proximity to not only the university, but also the downtown city, the beach, the malls and shops, the local stadium, etc.

Public transportation was great. I was a 2 minute walk from the metro. Taxis, buses, and 'colectivos' (taxis with predetermined routes, meaning much lower cost) literally passed by the doorstep. The highlight, however, is the university. While difficult at times, the classes were a necessary challenge to improve my language skills. The school offers many sport programs that international students are able to join, as well as a gym, weight room, dance/yoga studio, and a computer lab. Off-season classes are taken with international students only. The classes, however, are instructed in Spanish only.

Weekends will be packed with traveling and activities thanks to great on-location API directors. Keep in mind that the work load will be big, and the readings lengthy, but if you really want to boost your language skills and explore a new corner of the world, I recommend this program.

While this is a very minor complaint, the associated cellphone provider company had low quality phones, making reception and clarity of calls suffer. This is irrelevant to anyone with smart phones, however I am not one of those people.

Michelle
Ann Arbor, MI
University of Michigan

Amazing API

My travel abroad program with API was one of the best experiences (if not the best), that I have had thus far in my life. I not only made friendships that will last a lifetime but I got to know an entirely new culture, go on excursions, enhance my language skills, and learn how to handle difficult situations with a foreign country! While I was abroad, towards the end of my trip, I had an unfortunate encounter with a dog. I was attacked while walking home one night and bitten through my pants. The dogs bite broke through my skin and I was than required to have a series of rabies shots and visits to the nearest hospital. I was able to call my API director (onsite) even though it was late that night and she answered right away. She went with me to some of the hospital visits as well as my host family. My API director (Karla), made sure I was healthy, and she supported me through the entire process! She was fantastic. This is just one of the many instances where API truly came through, and made my experience the best it could be.

I would have selected the host families more carefully. Some of the neighborhoods and host families were not the best, and they need to be screened before we (the students), arrive.

The mission of API is to transform lives by providing enriching academic and cross-cultural experiences that foster increased self-knowledge, cultural sensitivity and understanding of the global nature of our contemporary world.

*The former API Cultural Embrace and Aspire by API listings are now merged under