ISA Study Abroad in Shanghai, China

Shanghai is China's largest city and financial capital. It is located on the central east coast of the country and enjoys moderate temperatures in the winter and hot summers.

Shanghai has been a market city for over 1,000 years. In the 19th century, the city operated as a popular port location, which helped pave the way towards Shanghai eventually becoming one of the most important economic centers in the world. The city is one of contrast- old and ancient temples lie scattered throughout the endless skyscrapers, inexpensive markets stand next to state-of-the-art shopping malls, restaurants serving international cuisine can be found sharing walls with local food spots.

Shanghai's long history as an Asian trade hub has contributed to its distinct welcoming and open atmosphere, making it the ideal location for those who wish to study abroad in China and learn more about Chinese language and culture. Check out the ISA website today for all the details!

Eduardo

Semester in Shanghai

If you are looking for an experience that will bring something new everyday, then look no further. Personally, I loved the feeling of waking up each morning and having curiosity lead my way. China is a country that is changing drastically day to day, and Shanghai is a city that serves as proof of this. Through this semester language program, I not only improved my Mandarin Chinese, but I also learned to welcome the unexpected. Whether it was a taxi drive conversation, haggling with a small shop, or walking through the crowds of East Nanjing Road, Shanghai did not disappoint. The program director, Amy Zhang, was always willing to help, and was very friendly. The language instructors were just as friendly, and willing to answer questions. At first it takes some time getting used to them speaking solely Mandarin, but at the end of the day this was key in helping me gain more exposure to the language. All this being said, if you are not willing to experience a completely different world and embrace it, China is not for you. However, if you are ready to challenge yourself, grow as a person, and become a more globalized person, this program is right for you.

Although this program was a great experience for me, not everyone can adapt as easily to being in a new environment. I had previous experience in China, but other people in the program didn't. China can hit you with a ton of culture shock at any given moment, and it would be a smart idea to add more explanation of what to truly expect in this regard. Perhaps a section or lecture on what being a foreigner can be like in China could help ease some of the culture shock that some of my peers experienced.
Jessica

My Experience- Jessica Moy

I studied abroad in China summer 2012, and I had the time of my life. Not only was I able to wake up in a different country, every day was different than the next. I never knew what to expect! From shopping in Nanjing Road to admiring the beauty of the Bund to eating cheap and delicious hole-in-the-wall food, each day was an adventure that I wish never ended.

I thought ISA was great, Amy Zhang was like a mother to us and was there any second of the day if we had a question or needed help.

About ISA (International Studies Abroad)

As a leader in international education for thirty years, ISA is dedicated to providing university and college level students the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education...