2 Week Study Abroad in China - Sustainability Adventure Mobility Programs

Take advantage of our 2 week Adventure Sustainability Programs in Shanghai over the Summer and Winter breaks! Our short-term mobility programs are designed for students wanting to break out of their comfort zones, explore sustainability and environmental trends in China for a fraction of the cost and time!
SSi mobility programs are credit bearing of 1.5 US credits (equivalent), with academic components of the course conducted at Tongji University, Shanghai - A University at the fore-front of global sustainability research with the United Nations and UNEP. Our courses combine academic content with practical application activities, top secret industry and facility visits as well as bucket list adventures. Trek and Camp on the Great Wall of China and sailing down the Yangtze River in Guilin.
Our adventure programs are open to students from all academic backgrounds and designed to inform and enhance sustainability trends, practices and approaches in the context of China and the globe!

• Experience Urban and Rural Sustainability in Shanghai!
  • Adventure Activities and Bucket List Sightseeing
  • 3 Cities to Explore in 2 Weeks
  • Gain Credit to your Degree for a fraction of the cost and time
  • Field trips and Top Secret Facility Visits

• Staff 9.7
  • Organization 9
Danielle

Great GREEN program in China!

Sustainability is an important focus moving into the future, and I am very fortunate that SSi provided this amazing learning experience. The team were great, and provided a great mash up of professional outcomes and personal development. Studying abroad has adjusted my perspective of the world, and how imperative it is that we work together to collectively inspire sustainable change. I would recommend SSi to anyone who wants to participate in the next generation of innovation and responsible development.

Pamela

Disbelief!

I was in disbelief that I would really be visiting another country, it wasn’t until our plane landed that I realized how real this was. I was anxious, I didn’t even speak enough Mandarin to ask where a restroom was, but the experience was amazing. We were brought to different universities and museums, and our guides did a great job of formatting the experience to fit our specific needs and educational goals. The entire trip went so smoothly in a way that would have been impossible to arrange on our own. They were able to source presentations from different companies in our industry, even though it is rather niche. When looking at my options, I was strongly considering a trip to English speaking countries so that I could avoid the language barrier, however this trip was everything that I wanted and more. We traveled all along the western coast of China, and in between our presentations and tours were able to visit some amazing locations! In all honesty, I thought I would dislike the trip, but I simply cannot wait to go back! My friends and family were sick of me for months after the trip, because it was all I could talk about. I had so many experiences, I only wish that I had kept a journal to keep track of them all. I know you’ll enjoy it as much as my group did, have fun!

Samantha

Where to Start?!

Where to start?! My China tour experience was one of the most amazing opportunities that I have ever had. Before my trip to China I knew next to nothing about Chinese culture and it was really something that I never went out of my way to expose myself to, Asian culture just didn’t interest me. During the program I had the privilege of experiencing Asian culture in all its beauty and I have come away with such an appreciation for the people and place that I didn’t have before. The tour experience was a great gateway that opened my eyes to so many new possibilities for my life. The program experience given to my class made ALL the difference. We were constantly given anecdotal information about experiences our tour guides had when they first came to China, they were very informative about Chinese cultural practices, general etiquette, and so many other interesting topics of concern. Additionally, SSI was a big part of what I learned in China. Our learning was focused on an incredibly interesting topic in sustainability and that same topic was so relevant and well themed with our China experience. I came away from the trip with such a wealth of information, that I had never dreamed of knowing before. I’d recommend to anyone who is thinking about trying an experience such as this to absolutely go for it!

About Sustainability System Initiative

The idea behind Sustainability System Initiative (SSi) was realized through the educational, academic, and professional background of two individuals within the arena of sustainability, international development, and engineering. Aligning with the...